NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-27-2020, 06:54 AM
Gary

Default TV Shows/Movies featuring Cards....I'll start Hart to Hart (1982)

During the Christmas holidays, I was watching TV (as you do) and stumbled across an episode of Hart to Hart from 1982. To my surprise the episode was about a plot to steal baseball cards.

From IMDB: "One of Jonathan's vice presidents dies, and leaves his family penniless; the Harts try to recover stolen vintage baseball cards that could be worth a fortune to the man's family."

You can watch the episode here: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x61atuo

Any other TV shows/movies that you can name featuring baseball cards (or even Football or Basketball cards)?
Old 12-27-2020, 07:07 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

We do this thread every couple of years.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=dZT...4dUDCA0&uact=5

My favorite is the 1974 Topps Tom Seaver used as the evidence to link the serial killer in CSI to his childhood to figure out the very convoluted plot.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:01 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

There was an episode of MacGyver about counterfeiting baseball cards.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:05 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
There was an episode of MacGyver about counterfeiting baseball cards.
As a kid who loved MacGyver and collecting cards I remember this one fondly.

Also -
Cop Out
Veteran detective Jimmy Monroe (Bruce Willis) needs money to pay for his daughter's upcoming wedding, so he decides it's time to sell his prized '52 Pafko baseball card. Before he can turn it into cash, it's stolen, and Jimmy and his partner, Paul (Tracy Morgan), confront a gangster who is obsessed*with sports memorabilia.

Not a great movie. Ha

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 08:17 AM
Jared

Blast from the Past, featuring Brendan Fraser. Oh, and how about The Goonies, too? They found Chester Copperpot’s Lou Gehrig card.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:38 AM

The movie Stand By Me features the 1958 Mickey Mantle all-star card.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:50 AM
Steve N0.0n

The most recent season of Fargo had what appears to be some 1948 Leaf baseball cards in one scene.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2020, 09:10 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Merry Christmas

https://youtu.be/BjcNRUuDk-4

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 12-27-2020, 09:22 AM
Dave

I remember a mid-80's episode of Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories I saw as a kid, starring Mark Hamill as a homeless dreamer who disappointed his parents by hoarding Comic Books, Baseball Cards, and other collectibles in his old car.

Flash forward 40+ years and he's on the verge of suicide after realizing he wasted away his life hoarding worthless junk and living out of his car for nearly his whole life, when he learns his treasure trove of "junk" is worth a fortune, and he gets a new lease on life.

It really is a time capsule of the mid to late 80's Collectibles boom. It made an impression on me at the time, because I was that kid who hoarded worthless crap, that my parents kind of looked down upon. Luckily I learned earlier then the Mark Hamill character, that, that wasn't the most important thing in life.

Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 AM
mark sanders

Default Mask

A classic movie (1985) starring cher, sam elliott & eric stoltz.
teenager, rocky dennis, with a massive skull deformity attempts to live a normal life.
much of the story line revolves around rocky completing his 1955 brooklyn dodger team set.
well worth the watch!
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350

Last edited by sando69; 12-27-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:09 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

The opening moments of the movie "Big" shows the 2 kids playing stick-ball and then sitting out front of a store opening up BB card's. They don't show which cards, but they have the classic "need it, got it, got it, need it".
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-27-2020, 10:10 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
I remember a mid-80's episode of Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories I saw as a kid, starring Mark Hamill as a homeless dreamer who disappointed his parents by hoarding Comic Books, Baseball Cards, and other collectibles in his old car.

Flash forward 40+ years and he's on the verge of suicide after realizing he wasted away his life hoarding worthless junk and living out of his car for nearly his whole life, when he learns his treasure trove of "junk" is worth a fortune, and he gets a new lease on life.

It really is a time capsule of the mid to late 80's Collectibles boom. It made an impression on me at the time, because I was that kid who hoarded worthless crap, that my parents kind of looked down upon. Luckily I learned earlier then the Mark Hamill character, that, that wasn't the most important thing in life.

My favorite episode from that series.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-27-2020, 10:18 AM
Bill Roberts

The scene in Goodfellas with the Babe Ruth is epic.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:42 AM

For the trekkers out there:

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The villain steals rare items throughout the galaxy, and one of his possessions is a 1962 Topps Roger Maris card.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Captain Sisko's son, Jake, is trying to acquire a 1951 Bowman Willie Mays rookie card for his father's birthday.

Last edited by irmsjags; 12-27-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added info
Old 12-27-2020, 10:47 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

A couple of years ago on an episode of Better Call Saul - one of the cohorts had his valuable collection of 50s baseball cards stolen. When he got them back and went through them to confirm they were all there, it was obvious they were a box of 90s commons.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:51 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Default "Fury: The story of a horse and the boy who loved him"

Most of our members have never heard of this late 50's TV show. Anyway, Joey and Packy were baseball card collectors. When the mysterious new ranch hand shows up at the Broken Wheel, the boys notice a strange similarity between the him and a guy on one of their cards. It looked to my young eyes and my seasoned citizen's memory as a 1958 Topps style card. As it turns out, the ranch hand was the guy on the card. He had changed his name and gone underground from guilt after he beaned and killed a batter. I don't remember what role Fury played in the solution, but he always did.

This is possibly Episode 96, originally aired on October 17, 1959. Title, "The Big Leaguer". I watched Fury every Saturday morning.

By the way, 1958T's were the first cards that I collected. I still have some of them.

Hey! I just found confirmation! https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0584393/?ref_=ttep_ep2
Old 12-27-2020, 11:17 AM
James M.

The Accountant with Ben Affleck has a brief scene where you see some old tobacco cards it looks like, in his trailer. I won't spoil anything for those who want to watch the movie.

There's a scene from Blast From The Past with Brendan Fraiser, where he's trying to ascertain the value of his fathers vintage collection and a card dealer tries to rip him off. Nice watch to pass the time. I think His father (played by Christopher Walken) also mentions something about having a bunch of Ty Cobb cards at the start of the movie but it's been years since I've seen it.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:33 AM

Did anyone see Diminished Capacity? A big scene was at a baseball card show.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
A couple of years ago on an episode of Better Call Saul - one of the cohorts had his valuable collection of 50s baseball cards stolen. When he got them back and went through them to confirm they were all there, it was obvious they were a box of 90s commons.
Ha Ha, I remember that. Such a disappointing oversight, from an otherwise great show.
Old 12-27-2020, 12:25 PM
mark sanders

Default Diminished Capacity

what's that?
a movie involving baseball card collectors entitled "Diminished Capacity?"
and,
jerry g- fond memories of sat morns in socal spent watching fury, sky king and whirlybirds!
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 12-27-2020, 12:31 PM

Default '52 Topps Mick ripped up in The Christmas Chronicles (2018)

In 2018's The Christmas Chronicles, Santa (played by Kurt Russell), offers a restaurant patron a '1952 Topps mint condition Mickey Mantle rookie card' which he's always wanted, in exchange for the patron's Porsche in order to help save Christmas. The patron quicky agrees, but his wife takes the Mick out of his hands and rips it up, saying are you crazy?!?

Great backstory:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidse...baseball-card/
Old 12-27-2020, 01:00 PM
Tony

For Seinfeld fans “The Muffin Tops” episode George has 2 frames on the wall in his office at Yankee Stadium. One has T205s in it and the other is harder to see but looks like older A&G cards.
Old 12-27-2020, 01:16 PM
Murr the Blurr

Two non-baseball:

1) in the classic 1964 episode of "The Fugitive" entitled "Nemesis", Kurt Russell portrays Phillip Gerard Jr., young son of the indefatigable detective on the trail of Dr. Richard Kimble ( David Janssen). The kid hides in the backseat of Kimbles's car, and drops Topps football cards out the window in order to leave a "trail" for his dad to follow. Closeups clearly show a 1963 Jim Brown and a 1960 Forrest Gregg. Without giving away the ending, let me just say it involves the card of another contemporary icon.

2) In the big screen's 1944 "Double Indemnity", the walls in the apartment of insurance salesman Walter Neff (Fred MacMurray) are decorated with blowups of several T-220 boxing cards, including John L. Sullivan and Jim Corbett.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunzio11 View Post
For Seinfeld fans “The Muffin Tops” episode George has 2 frames on the wall in his office at Yankee Stadium. One has T205s in it and the other is harder to see but looks like older A&G cards.
In a few episodes of the first season of Seinfeld, there's a wax box of 1990 Donruss baseball on top of his refrigerator.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:28 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default The Rain Man

Raymond the Rain Man played by Dustin Hoffman collected cards showed him shuffling cards in the movie.
Old 12-27-2020, 03:47 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRoberts View Post
In a few episodes of the first season of Seinfeld, there's a wax box of 1990 Donruss baseball on top of his refrigerator.
I've watched that show so many times and never saw it. Here's a screenshot... Made me smile
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seinfeld.jpg (64.3 KB, 736 views)
Old 12-27-2020, 04:13 PM
Ted Zanidakis

1988 movie "RAIN MAN"....with Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise.

There are several scenes of Hoffman with his BB card collection (1950's cards). Hoffman portrays the long lost (autistic savant) brother of Cruise.

In the 1990's I was set-up at a small BB card show in Robbinsville, NJ. A fellow named Pete came to my table looking for Thurman Munson cards.
He amazed me. First by telling me I was a Yankees fan......then, by perfectly reciting the bio on the back of the 1971 Thurman Munson card from
memory. I continued talking with Pete, and I was stunned with his unbelievable ability to recall events and BB related things.

Later, I found out that this fellow Pete was one of the guys that Dustin Hoffman consulted with for his performance for the Rain Man movie.

The Princeton (NJ) newspaper had a write-up profiling autistic savant people who lived in the area, and Pete was one of them.

TED Z

T206 Reference

Last edited by tedzan; 01-01-2021 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added information.
Old 12-27-2020, 04:25 PM

At around 2:25 Mick Jones flashes a card that sort of looks like a knock off of Al Kaline's 1962 Topps all-star card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=cHTDkJ-bQqM
Old 12-27-2020, 05:27 PM
Scott Gaynor

There is an episode of Leave It to Beaver where he holds some 1959 topps cards in his hand

The Hart to Hart episode and Amazing Stories really stick out in my mind as a young collector back then. Especially the Amazing Stories episode.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 12-27-2020, 06:46 PM
Sean McGinty

There is an episode of the Wonder Years that centres around Fred Savage’s character trying to trade for a Willie McCovey card from his friends. You can see that the cards they hold in some scenes are actually late 80s Topps cards rather than cards from late 60s sets though.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:46 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

jerry g- fond memories of sat morns in socal spent watching fury, sky king and whirlybirds! [/QUOTE]

SANDO 69 Yes! Sky King flying the Songbird with his honey pot niece, Penny.

Last edited by Jerry G; 12-27-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2020, 07:49 AM
Mike

Default Needful Things

Not sure about the movie but in Stephen Kings Needful Things novel one of the items in the store that's coveted is a 1956 Topps Sandy Koufax. I believe it's a 56. I haven't read the book in 25 years.
Old 12-28-2020, 10:58 AM

There is a 2013 episode of Modern Family that has Phil and Manny meeting a guy in a parking lot near a dumpster to purchase a mint condition signed Joe DiMaggio card. The card appears modern in the brief flashes that it is seen (1980's Topps?), but the scene is classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDssBLVALDU

Brian
Old 12-28-2020, 11:00 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecow View Post
Not sure about the movie but in Stephen Kings Needful Things novel one of the items in the store that's coveted is a 1956 Topps Sandy Koufax. I believe it's a 56. I haven't read the book in 25 years.
If my memory serves me...in the book...in this scene...there was also a honus wagner in this "box."
Old 12-28-2020, 08:16 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecow View Post
As with many of King's stories, there's both a book and a movie. Interestingly, there's a divergence whereas it concerns the card.

Yes, it's a 1956 Topps. In the book, the card is a signed Koufax. For the movie, it was Mantle.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-28-2020, 08:21 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

Quote:

Pretty sure I posted this in a old thread as well . It’s called amazing stories gather ye acorns . It definitely had a impression on me. Spoiler alert �� at the end he auction off his stuff and one one the items is a silver photo of Lou Gehrig or something like that.

Last edited by Rookiemonster; 12-28-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2020, 09:46 PM
Joshua

Field of dreams. The Cracker Jack babe Ruth card that never was...drool
Old 12-30-2020, 11:04 PM
Bill Avery

According to Jim the episode Kentucky Fried Beltzman April Fool's Day. Jim has retired from pranks. Cheryl brings his baseball cards to the garage where his band rehearses. Then Jim's most valuable card vanishes. After that, Andy tells that Beltzman, the guitarist, died. Is it a coincidence?

The card in question was an Ernie Banks rookie. Beltzman's last request was to be cremated with the card. Jim thinking it was his stole the card from the casket before eventually find his.

Barney Miller, not a card but a signed 1936 Yankees World Series baseball, the episode The Social Worker explains what it is as Inspector Luger tries to take it from Wojo's desk even offering to buy it for $20. Listing names like Mel Ott, Carl Hubbell, Red Ruffing, and others. They arrest a forger and later Wojo gives the ball to Luger who starts reading the names on the ball again and gets to John Hancock and asks was he on the Giants? To which Wojo says no he was one of the original Yankees. Luger nods in agreement and leaves.

The Barney Miller episode reminds me of the T206 autograph scandal. It also stikes me as funny that a Yankees ball has more than a few Giants autographs on it.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

'Needful Things' - 1956 Mantle

'Switchback' - 1974 Seaver

"Good Will Hunting' - several 'images of cards' in Robin Williams' office.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-31-2020, 11:56 AM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sando69 View Post
A classic movie (1985) starring cher, sam elliott & eric stoltz.
teenager, rocky dennis, with a massive skull deformity attempts to live a normal life.
much of the story line revolves around rocky completing his 1955 brooklyn dodger team set.
well worth the watch!
Rocky Dennis was still a better looking chap than Don Mossi!
Old 01-01-2021, 12:47 AM
J0hn H@rper

Family Matters

Urkel trades Johnny Gill one of his two "gem mint" '52 T Mantles (so that he'll sing to Laura).

You can see the cards from a distance, and I gave them kudos for actually using the Mantle. Given that Jaleel White was a serious collector back then, I wondered if they could've possibly been real. But since it was just the third season and White hadn't been a big star for long, dunno if he would had the $$ to land those during the junk wax era

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0577147/
Old 01-01-2021, 02:18 PM

I remember an episode of Ray Donovan about two seasons ago when he went to the basement of a house in New York and some T205s were on the wall.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:54 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Cards in Movies

The Sandlot:

The Babe taking Aaron's 54 Rookie card. The scene at the kitchen table at breakfast and a full box of Post Cereal from 1962 with cards on back.

The box box was borrowed for the scene from Dr. James McAvoy.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:50 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Quote:
Ha Ha, I remember that. Such a disappointing oversight, from an otherwise great show.
Painful to watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYOd5I2M_I
Old 01-02-2021, 07:34 PM
je.sse @rnot

There were a couple in different Star Trek shows. A 62 Maris in an episode of TNG that was supposedly the last known baseball card. And a 51 Bowman Mays in DS9 that Jake wanted to buy for his dad.

Just noticed this is a duplicate of an earlier post.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 01-02-2021 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:38 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
The Accountant with Ben Affleck has a brief scene where you see some old tobacco cards it looks like, in his trailer. I won't spoil anything for those who want to watch the movie.

There's a scene from Blast From The Past with Brendan Fraiser, where he's trying to ascertain the value of his fathers vintage collection and a card dealer tries to rip him off. Nice watch to pass the time. I think His father (played by Christopher Walken) also mentions something about having a bunch of Ty Cobb cards at the start of the movie but it's been years since I've seen it.
One of those tobacco cards in the accountant was a t206 Wagner. I doubt a real one was used though.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:21 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The Larry Sanders Show, Season 6, Episode 6, "Adolf Hankler" (original airdate 4/19/98).

There's a scene where Larry's brother pays him a visit, and Larry gets out the old baseball cards. They're going through them, but all his brother wants to do is talk about investment schemes he's trying to get Larry to finance. We don't see specific cards, but I recognize backs of '65 and '87 Topps, and at the end of the scene the brother offers to buy Larry's Roberto Clemente card off him.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:35 PM
Al Richter

In the movie Ruby Cairo (1992) a group of baseball cards with clues left behind by a missing husband send a wife on a search for money and him.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 PM
Steven Finley

In Memphis Belle one of the airmen kept Play Ball cards in his Bomber jacket if I remember correctly.

Last edited by sbfinley; 01-02-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:23 AM
Todd

Twilight Zone episode "Extra Innings"

A down-and-out, injured baseball player named Ed Hamner tries to juggle his love for baseball and time with his wife Cindy, who insists he needs to get on with his life. Moreover, his teenage neighbor Paula shows her adoration for him by encouraging his baseball card collection and her potential as a player herself. Paula finds an old baseball card of a player from the early days named Monte Hanks, who happens to resemble Ed. After a fight with Cindy about a missed job interview and a victorious game for Paula, Ed goes to sleep and awakens to discover the card magically opening a door. Ed stumbles through the doorway to find himself in the uniform of Monte Hanks. He no longer has an injury and he is ready to play baseball.

When Paula shows up the next day, Ed explains all that happened: that he went back in time seventy-eight years and played ball without the use of his cane. Paula is skeptical until she sees the back of the card which reveals more home runs (hit by Hamner) than were there the day before. Still skeptical, Paula agrees to try to go with him. As they stare into the card, it envelops them and they go to the ball field in the past. After returning to the present, Paula leaves both excited about another game tomorrow and for Ed to play in the World Series. An uncomfortable dinner with Cindy that evening leaves Ed wanting to migrate to the other life even more.

Paula comes over sad because she cannot go to the game with him today, but wonders whether or not Ed belongs back in 1910. He seems so much happier there. At the game, Ed (as Monte) is playing late much later than the dinner he is supposed to attend with Cindy. Cindy arrives at the empty house but is upset that Ed is gone so she burns his card collection. Paula comes in just in time to save the magical card with Monte Hanks on it. Paula realizes she can help Ed have the life he truly wants. She tears the card in half leaving Ed in 1910. At home, she later looks at the torn card, which magically begins to fill itself with statistics. Ed went on to be a great Monte Hanks, a batting champion and happily played baseball for many years.