NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-24-2020, 04:39 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Like Bonds?
haha touche', yes .298.

BUT will Trout also have 762 home runs?
Old 08-24-2020, 04:48 PM
Anson

A lot of money for a guy in the same league as Frank Thomas. That card only has downward to go.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:21 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao_Moko View Post
He is not even tracking to match a mid-tier HOFer.
Say what? He's on track to be a top-tier HOFer. No one - no one - has 7 top 2 MVPs finishes in their first 8 seasons. And his 8th year he was the frontrunner for MVP when he got hurt. Played 3/4 of a season, still finished 4th.

It's weird the way baseball fans simply refuse to believe current players can possibly be as great as their heroes of the past. But let's be clear - Trout is as great as anybody we'll ever see.

You mentioned Trout won't hit .400. You're right, he won't. But Ted wouldn't hit .400 today either. Ted played in a completely different environment - not integrated, no one throwing 100 mph (let alone dozens of guys), no short relievers, no cross-country travel, barely any night games and so on.

As for manufactured scarcity, yep, it's an issue. Not a new one, given the Goudey Lajoie, etc. Would *I* pay $4m for a Trout rookie? No. But I totally get why somebody would.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:27 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
haha touche', yes .298.

BUT will Trout also have 762 home runs?
If he roids to the eyeballs around age 32 I all but guarantee it...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-24-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
Say what? He's on track to be a top-tier HOFer. No one - no one - has 7 top 2 MVPs finishes in their first 8 seasons. And his 8th year he was the frontrunner for MVP when he got hurt. Played 3/4 of a season, still finished 4th.

It's weird the way baseball fans simply refuse to believe current players can possibly be as great as their heroes of the past. But let's be clear - Trout is as great as anybody we'll ever see.

You mentioned Trout won't hit .400. You're right, he won't. But Ted wouldn't hit .400 today either. Ted played in a completely different environment - not integrated, no one throwing 100 mph (let alone dozens of guys), no short relievers, no cross-country travel, barely any night games and so on.

As for manufactured scarcity, yep, it's an issue. Not a new one, given the Goudey Lajoie, etc. Would *I* pay $4m for a Trout rookie? No. But I totally get why somebody would.
Yeah, but Ted was a marine and so was the poster who mentioned that. Mike had a chance to to be a marine but he decided to take the easy way out and is therefore less than. That’s at least what i got.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:53 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
A lot of money for a guy in the same league as Frank Thomas. That card only has downward to go.
Frank Thomas was not a 5 tool player
Old 08-24-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Most comparable by age is Mickey Mantle. I know, according to some here Mantle is way better because he single-handedly took crappy Yankees teams and led them to the promised land. On the other hand, Trout has lost with some loaded teams. Oh, wait...

Last edited by Orioles1954; 08-24-2020 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:

Yes, but he hit .388 at age 38 a decade after integration. There were pitchers who threw 100 mph, Ryne Duran for one who also was a short reliever. Ted didn't get to play in a league watered down by expansion either. Ted absolutely could hit .400 today. Gwynn, Brett and Carew all came close. Trout also won't come close to Ted's .344 BA or .634 SLG.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:26 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Yes, but he hit .388 at age 38 a decade after integration. There were pitchers who threw 100 mph, Ryne Duran for one who also was a short reliever. Ted didn't get to play in a league watered down by expansion either. Ted absolutely could hit .400 today. Gwynn, Brett and Carew all came close. Trout also won't come close to Ted's .344 BA or .634 SLG.
And we don't even know what we missed in Ted's prime years when he was in the war
Old 08-24-2020, 07:04 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Mike Trout is a poor man's Ron Kittle, and that is just stating undisputible fact.

. . . . That should keep this discussion continuing for a while.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I got this 1-of-1 for a whole lot cheaper.

Even though its condition is further away from a 10 than the Trout, I prefer it.

It's modern, geologically speaking.

Attachment 415297
This card is a total beast! Great card.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Frank Thomas was not a 5 tool player
Obviously you've never seen his Nugenix commercials.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:29 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1954 View Post
Yeah, but Ted was a marine and so was the poster who mentioned that. Mike had a chance to to be a marine but he decided to take the easy way out and is therefore less than. That’s at least what i got.
Nice to know that people who aren't Marines are lesser human beings. Didn't know that.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 08-24-2020, 07:36 PM

If Frank Thomas's stats hadn't tailed off toward the last 1/3 of his career . . .
Old 08-24-2020, 08:33 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Gwynn & Brett both played 2/3 of a season. They don't count.

Ryne Duren? Sure, one guy. There are numerous guys hitting 100 now and DOZENS hitting 98. It's unquestionable that guys throw A LOT harder now.

Ted was great but lemme ask you this - if the two guys switch places, whose stats would improve and whose wouldn't?
Old 08-24-2020, 09:00 PM
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagewhitesox View Post
great point. I am going to play devils advocate . I think I'd take the Trout over the Wagner.
I have seen Trout play in person, seen him his entire career. Seen the videos of him playing catch with a kid in the stands.
I feel a much more personal connection to a player I can watch hit tonight. Collecting is very personal. There's one thing we all can agree on though, buy what you like!
I'll go back to my post yesterday - Mike Trout is the best player today and the last 50 years and perhaps. EVER!!! Only Bonds can compare w/ efficiency of swing mechanics. Just listen to the 'real' baseball community, the D1 - D3 coaches, the professional htting coaches in the US. Bonds and Trout are the very best they've ever seen!! Bonds never had to juice, but he did because of ego.... so sad....

Mike Trout is the best. Forget injuries, strikes, pandemics. Mantle dealt with knee blowouts and constant hangovers from his alcholism and is still beloved and AWESOME!!!.... Trout is Mantle X2 - believe it and watch! The dude faces 95+ mph fastballs and UNGODLY offspeed pitches every single AB..... the MLB in the 50's and 60's don't even compare to the Double A these days guys. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays 1st round pick this year.... at 17 year old out of PA, Nick Bitsko - SITS 97 MPH!!! good luck after a late night bender!

Last edited by CJinPA; 08-24-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Nice to know that people who aren't Marines are lesser human beings. Didn't know that.
Not in my view at least.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:44 PM
Scott Russell

I know, shouldn't have quote you, sorry.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:00 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I don't think this. It was an extra accomplishment/challenge that some had and took on which separates them from the pack. Trout is an amazing player and seemingly good guy. He may turn out to be the best. But even statistics won't categorize him with with the likes of Ted and Yogi in my eyes. My only reason for bringing it up was because it was used as an unfair comparison. There are the rare birds like Tillman, but I don't expect entertainers to follow suit.

Quote:
Old 08-25-2020, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Gwynn & Brett both played 2/3 of a season. They don't count.

Ryne Duren? Sure, one guy. There are numerous guys hitting 100 now and DOZENS hitting 98. It's unquestionable that guys throw A LOT harder now.

Ted was great but lemme ask you this - if the two guys switch places, whose stats would improve and whose wouldn't?
Trout has never led the league in hits, doubles, triples, home runs or BA. Led in RBI, SB, TB once and SLG 3 times. Williams led doubles 2 times, HR 4 times RBI 4 times, BA 6 times SLG 9 times and TB 6 times. He won 2 triple crowns. Williams would be dominant in any era. Trout is just a good player on a bad team that gets pitched around a lot. He is not a 5 tool player. He is an average OF with a weak arm. He is a power hitter with speed. That is not the best player I gave ever seen, not even close. Being the best player of the current generation does not make him one of the best all time.

It is not unquestionable that guys are throwing a lot harder, maybe 1 or 2 MPH on average. Man hasn't made some huge genetic leap in 60 years. Ted Williams hit Bob Feller slightly better than his career averages. He would have done very well against today's hard throwers.

Last edited by rats60; 08-25-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:33 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
That assertion gets made every single time on here when a modern card sells for a staggering figure. Did you foresee the card rising 10 fold when it was a $400,000 card?

Maybe the value will go up and maybe it will go down, but these assertions that modern cards will automatically go down in value have been proven wrong a whole lot in recent years.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-25-2020 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 AM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinPA View Post
I'll go back to my post yesterday - Mike Trout is the best player today and the last 50 years and perhaps. EVER!!! Only Bonds can compare w/ efficiency of swing mechanics. Just listen to the 'real' baseball community, the D1 - D3 coaches, the professional htting coaches in the US. Bonds and Trout are the very best they've ever seen!! Bonds never had to juice, but he did because of ego.... so sad....

Mike Trout is the best. Forget injuries, strikes, pandemics. Mantle dealt with knee blowouts and constant hangovers from his alcholism and is still beloved and AWESOME!!!.... Trout is Mantle X2 - believe it and watch! The dude faces 95+ mph fastballs and UNGODLY offspeed pitches every single AB..... the MLB in the 50's and 60's don't even compare to the Double A these days guys. Look at the Tampa Bay Rays 1st round pick this year.... at 17 year old out of PA, Nick Bitsko - SITS 97 MPH!!! good luck after a late night bender!

Best player ever and hitting .262 C'mon.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:21 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Mickey Mantle and Sandy Koufax don't mean shit to anyone under 40. Just sayin'.

Why do people look at is as a bad thing when contemporary cards take off. It's a great thing. Keeps hobby vibrant. Kids today don't listen to Crosby Stills and Nash or the Doors or the Byrds They have their own musical heroes. Exactly as it should be. That's what keeps things moving.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:37 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post

Why do people look at is as a bad thing when contemporary cards take off. It's a great thing. Keeps hobby vibrant. Kids today don't listen to Crosby Stills and Nash or the Doors or the Byrds They have their own musical heroes. Exactly as it should be. That's what keeps things moving.
I would agree if it was actually kids in the hobby but I don't know any kids collecting baseball cards. This hobby is geared to people 25 and over with disposable income right now. If there are kids they are probably collecting basketball but even that's priced out of their range.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:42 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
What about older cards that have intended rarity because trading in a complete set got the winner a prize?
You answered your own question... the point was to limit the amount of prizes obtained, hence, there was NEVER monetary value associated with these cards, so it is completely different.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:03 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Literally the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum. And that's saying something.

Trout is one of the best to every play the game.

That being said, what is the likelihood this card is still in the same league as a T206 Wagner 5 years from now? 10? 20? 40? Very, very low. Maybe the buyer doesn't care, though. So there's that...
Old 08-25-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I would agree if it was actually kids in the hobby but I don't know any kids collecting baseball cards. This hobby is geared to people 25 and over with disposable income right now. If there are kids they are probably collecting basketball but even that's priced out of their range.
You are Correct... jus maybe not so on how ole' the "Kids in the Hobby' are taday!? In this era's time, the 'Kid in the Hobby' are 25+ years ole'...

The Hobby Card Industry of taday have Re Focus'd on that Money's Age Group!
Guys like 'Vegas Dave', are in trusted by these 25 year ole's as sumwhat of a mentor! This is hard to swallow fir guy who grew up wit CSN, Marshall Tucker, Lynyrd Skynyrd, etc... Howevar it's True!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:10 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
True. I am 40. Younger than probably most on this site. I have literally no interest in cards from the 50s-70s. Mickey Mantle? Bob Gibson? Tom Seaver? Ted Williams? Greats, sure. But I don't have any interest in collecting them.

I think as the boomer generation ages and slowly passes on, prices/demand for Pre-war cards will stay high, while the market will soften on the midcentury greats.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:20 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
You answered your own question... the point was to limit the amount of prizes obtained, hence, there was NEVER monetary value associated with these cards, so it is completely different.
The point is one card is just as rare as the other and both have intended rarity, the reason is irrelevant. Rarity is rarity.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:25 AM
James M.

Quote:

Strongly disagree. Mantle was, is and will continue to be one of the strongest draws for me to collect. The Mick is iconic, there will always be people that want to collect him. I was barely a year old when he died, and the cards of his that I own, are my favorites in my small collection. It might be the minority but there's a good amount of people who grew up hearing stories about him from their fathers and grandfathers, and names like him and Koufax were the names thrown around when we were introduced to the Hobby.

Concerning your second point, I'll have you know that Crosby Stills Nash and Young is a hell of a group!

I could be wrong though. A good portion of the people I meet though are firmly convinced I'm a 75 year old man at heart, but I don't see anything wrong with that!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:

Not true. There is a guy on here doing a Koufax run because he was his dad's favorite player. There are lots of guys collecting Mantle who are under 40. The 52 T Mantle keeps Mickey relevant. I have no issue with people collecting Trout because he is the best player in the game. However, MLB didn't start in 2010 or 2000 or 1990, etc. People need to stop acting like it did and older players were no good or are irrelevant. There are also lots of young people who listen to the Beatles, Doors, Byrd's, CSNY etc. and prefer their music to newer bands. The Rolling Stones made more money than any other band last year. It's not just old people spending money on them, it is younger people too.

It seems kind of odd to see a post like this on a board of people collecting prewar cards of players they never saw like Wagner, Cobb, Ruth and Gehrig.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
Literally the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum. And that's saying something.

Trout is one of the best to every play the game.

That being said, what is the likelihood this card is still in the same league as a T206 Wagner 5 years from now? 10? 20? 40? Very, very low. Maybe the buyer doesn't care, though. So there's that...
I guess you didn't read earlier in this thread or catch the sarcasm or both. If I truly felt that way, yes it would be ridiculous.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
True. I am 40. Younger than probably most on this site. I have literally no interest in cards from the 50s-70s. Mickey Mantle? Bob Gibson? Tom Seaver? Ted Williams? Greats, sure. But I don't have any interest in collecting them.

I think as the boomer generation ages and slowly passes on, prices/demand for Pre-war cards will stay high, while the market will soften on the midcentury greats.
I think the issue is more can demand for postwar vintages stay up with supply. I think people will always be after Mantle, Jackie, Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Koufax, etc. Just will there be thousands with desire to own those cards.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:39 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Not true. There is a guy on here doing a Koufax run because he was his dad's favorite player. There are lots of guys collecting Mantle who are under 40. The 52 T Mantle keeps Mickey relevant. I have no issue with people collecting Trout because he is the best player in the game. However, MLB didn't start in 2010 or 2000 or 1990, etc. People need to stop acting like it did and older players were no good or are irrelevant. There are also lots of young people who listen to the Beatles, Doors, Byrd's, CSNY etc. and prefer their music to newer bands. The Rolling Stones made more money than any other band last year. It's not just old people spending money on them, it is younger people too.

It seems kind of odd to see a post like this on a board of people collecting prewar cards of players they never saw like Wagner, Cobb, Ruth and Gehrig.
I just turned 40 and my interests have always been in the history and greats of the game. Yes, I do watch the new players but I'm a history buff and the older I get the more I appreciate these guys who built the game and trailblazed.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Trout has never led the league in hits, doubles, triples, home runs or BA. Led in RBI, SB, TB once and SLG 3 times. Williams led doubles 2 times, HR 4 times RBI 4 times, BA 6 times SLG 9 times and TB 6 times. He won 2 triple crowns. Williams would be dominant in any era. Trout is just a good player on a bad team that gets pitched around a lot. He is not a 5 tool player. He is an average OF with a weak arm. He is a power hitter with speed. That is not the best player I gave ever seen, not even close. Being the best player of the current generation does not make him one of the best all time.

It is not unquestionable that guys are throwing a lot harder, maybe 1 or 2 MPH on average. Man hasn't made some huge genetic leap in 60 years. Ted Williams hit Bob Feller slightly better than his career averages. He would have done very well against today's hard throwers.

Why does your argument that Ted would be a star in any era discount the same fact about Trout? I'm not sure why anyone would think that the best player in the game by far (Trout) who is playing the game at the highest level at a time when the game is at its most complex, would not be a star if he were playing a simpler version of the same game.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:01 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:

I'm 45 and I love collecting post-war vintage. And I imagine I'm far from alone in feeling some nostalgia for that era's players (even though I wasn't alive to see many of them play).

And most people who love the T206 and other older cards are in the same boat, even if they're from my parents' generation.

If plenty of people are still buying up Ty Cobb and Walter Johnson now, the same could easily be true for Mantle and Mays in 30 years
Old 08-25-2020, 11:04 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

For the new generation of investor driven mega refractor cards, it's clear the allure is not all about skills, but pizazz and style as well. Hottest new cards on the market now are Tatis and Vlad Jr. Also Yankee prospect Dominquez. (Imagine paying $20,000 for a kid years away from the majors?) Hottest basketball player by far is Zion, followed by Ja Morant. Funny how a great player like DeGrom commands basically no interest in the high end market. Follow who the kids want to be next. There's you next mega refractor card star. Sounds absurd but isn't that how the Mickey Mantle card became what it is today. Seemed larger than life, doing stuff kids of the day were wowed by.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:05 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
I guess you didn't read earlier in this thread or catch the sarcasm or both. If I truly felt that way, yes it would be ridiculous.
I think he was referring to the guy who did say those things (and criticized "Little Mikey Trout's" character and life decisions because he didn't join the military instead of using his baseball skills to make a living).
Old 08-25-2020, 11:12 AM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
For the new generation of investor driven mega refractor cards, it's clear the allure is not all about skills, but pizazz and style as well. Hottest new cards on the market now are Tatis and Vlad Jr. Also Yankee prospect Dominquez. (Imagine paying $20,000 for a kid years away from the majors?) Hottest basketball player by far is Zion, followed by Ja Morant. Funny how a great player like DeGrom commands basically no interest in the high end market. Follow who the kids want to be next. There's you next mega refractor card star. Sounds absurd but isn't that how the Mickey Mantle card became what it is today. Seemed larger than life, doing stuff kids of the day were wowed by.
The few card investors who put big $ into unproven prospects did the same thing during the junk wax boom, but it was just done in a different way. Instead of spending 20 k on a Dominguez card, they'd try to get a few thousand Gregg Jefferies '88 Fleer or John Olerud '90 Upper Deck
Old 08-25-2020, 11:49 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Haha yeah sorry. I had read some of this thread a few days ago, but today just clicked on the most recent page. So I thought you were being serious and was like...woooooowww...
Old 08-25-2020, 12:21 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
The point is one card is just as rare as the other and both have intended rarity, the reason is irrelevant. Rarity is rarity.
The reasons are never irrelevant. Cards of the past never had original monetary value, while modern cards have inflated monetary value. This isn't rocket science... there is a HUGE difference.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:35 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
Pujols is the most feared hitter of the modern generation. He would probably be bold across the board save for WAR if I added him to above.
Seriously? Barry Bonds was walked 232 times in a season-- more than 1 1/2 times a game. He was INTENTIONALLY walked 120 times that year--and Pujols has never walked 120 times a season period. Bonds is the all-time leader in walks and IBB- more than twice as many IBB as Pujols, and he led the league in IBB a dozen times. Sure he had a good eye, but no way pitchers wanted anything to do with him. He was intentionally walked with the bases loaded.

Whatever you think of the man, the player Barry Bonds was the best I have ever seen and ever will see. Let's revisit this when Trout gets to 750 HRs.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Seriously? Barry Bonds was walked 232 times in a season-- more than 1 1/2 times a game. He was INTENTIONALLY walked 120 times that year--and Pujols has never walked 120 times a season period. Bonds is the all-time leader in walks and IBB- more than twice as many IBB as Pujols, and he led the league in IBB a dozen times. Sure he had a good eye, but no way pitchers wanted anything to do with him. He was intentionally walked with the bases loaded.

Whatever you think of the man, the player Barry Bonds was the best I have ever seen and ever will see. Let's revisit this when Trout gets to 750 HRs.
That argument doesn't hold any water to me though. If Trout hits 750 homers it won't be because he cheated to do it. You simply can't be the best at anything if you cheated. The best at anything doesn't need to cheat. Therefore, Bonds can not possibly be the best player of all time. If he was, he wouldn't have cheated.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Ry@n \/3tt3R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
Trout’s superfractor rookie, which has artificially created scarcity, just sold for almost $4M. It is now the highest auctioned sports card ever.

This is more than: 5.5 times Babe Ruth’s 1916 Sporting News card (PSA 7); 1.3 times Mickey Mantle’s 1952 Topps card (PSA 9); and 1.2 times Honus Wagner’s 1909 T-206 card (PSA 5). All these cards survived kids playing with them and no specialty storage cases. Time created their scarcity.

Their careers are also over and statistics set in stone. How much upside is there in a $4M card? One ACL tear a poof. If a genie granted me one card to have, but was conditioned on never selling it, I don’t know if that Trout card would even crack my top 20. Crazy.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...ports-card-all

I agree. I have not been able to get into ultra-modern. Way too many sets and subsets. The new wave of kids collecting cards in the 2000s don't care a lot about the vintage stuff is my guess - only related to the current players.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:42 PM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

The argument that Bonds walking a lot makes him the best is hard to swallow since most of that came after he started cheating. The better argument, it seems to me, is that in 1998 Bonds became the first player in history to have 400 home runs and 400 stolen bases (it might be 300, I'm not looking it up). But, instead of being celebrated for it, McGwire and Sosa got all the attention.

That was also the year that a St. Louis reporter wrote about seeing PEDs in McGwire's locker, kicking off a storm of protest not about PEDs, but about breached locker room privacy. LaRussa said the reporter should be banned from the club house, etc. It was an understandable, though not admirable, reaction by Bonds to feel that PEDs were an acceptable approach to becoming the most celebrated (and highest paid) player in the game. The rest is history and I am not condoning Bonds' behavior, but saying that his position as the best player of his era (at least) was arguably well in hand before he "got dirty".

Whether Bonds would have aged well without PEDs seems likely, but admittedly, is clouded by the drug use. At the same time, we don't yet know how well Trout will age.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

John Olerud. Wow. Good hitter, but I'm hard pressed to think of a player in my life time who was more boring. Guy hardly spoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
The few card investors who put big $ into unproven prospects did the same thing during the junk wax boom, but it was just done in a different way. Instead of spending 20 k on a Dominguez card, they'd try to get a few thousand Gregg Jefferies '88 Fleer or John Olerud '90 Upper Deck
Old 08-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:

I'm 36 here and I love Mantle. Why? Cause' all you boomers passed on the Mantle love to us! I own a few of his cards too, including his Bowman rookie.

I'm a huge fan of the Doors and my favorite track is "Riders on the Storm." This was the last song Morrison recorded and then he died in Paris.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I'm 36 here and I love Mantle. Why? Cause' all you boomers passed on the Mantle love to us! I own a few of his cards too, including his Bowman rookie.

I'm a huge fan of the Doors and my favorite track is "Riders on the Storm." This was the last song Morrison recorded and then he died in Paris.
That's cool. And you are not representative of 36 year olds. I love Glenn Miller. That doesn't mean he has a huge following of 57 year olds.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:13 PM

Long term, I feel most safe, investment wise, with T206 major HOF'ers. You can't buy everything (at least not me) so I have passed on the Mantle cards, rookie cards, high dollar modern cards. I totally get buying Mantle/rookies/modern - people really like these cards. This is what is so nice about our hobby - something for everyone.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100backstroke View Post
Long term, I feel most safe, investment wise, with T206 major HOF'ers. You can't buy everything (at least not me) so I have passed on the Mantle cards, rookie cards, high dollar modern cards. I totally get buying Mantle/rookies/modern - people really like these cards. This is what is so nice about our hobby - something for everyone.
But doesn't a sale of a modern card like this one upset that vision of the hobby? We don't know who bought the Trout. If it's a young collector, the future may be modern.