NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-21-2020, 01:14 AM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Default Minor League HOFers

So when I became a teenager is when I first discovered minor league cards, loved them right away. Now it was a few years before I was able to really get into them because I didn't make a lot of money and I was still collecting comics then which took a lot of money.

Now I have a few cards in the '60s but more in the '70s, then a lot in the '80s, a huge amount in the '90s, and then slowed way down in the '90s. Kids cost a lot of money!

Well, I have been thinking of going back and looking into getting older HOFers minor league cards. I am only interested in their cards if they were there before they went to the majors or possibly if they went back following an injury or something in the first few years. I really don't care too much about the condition of the cards as much, of course, I love a mint card, but there is also something about the character of a beat-up card if it still is presentable.

What I would like to know is are there any sets that have a lot of HOFers in the set I should look for entire sets of?

Any books I can buy with lists I could find them more easily?

What HOFer minor league cards do you think are the best ones out there?

Now with the minor league cards I have, I am pretty good with what they are worth, but its harder to value minor league cards because there are fewer of them and less are bought and sold. I am sure it's even more so with the older ones, so I am also looking for resources on values.

Now because of fake cards, I was more into graded cards, though I am being more and more careful with all the crap going on with even the big 3 having issues with graded cards that are actually altered, etc. Are there fakes of the older minor league cards or am I a lot safer buying raw ungraded cards of HOFers minor league cards than I am their major league cards?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:10 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Minor Leagues

Last summer I purchased a group of 900 different minor league sets, mostly 1970's, 80's, and a few 90's. I scanned them and listed them on eBay, and I learned to love these sets. They are so unique, and filled with error and correction cards, skip numbered sets, late season additions to the set, and an assortment of unique team names.

It was a tremendous task, making sure that every card was present in each set, scanning the cards, and writing the descriptions. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't spent around $40 to purchase the 2000 Standard Catalog of Minor League Baseball Cards by Krause/SCD and Bob Lemke. Nearly every set is listed in this book, up through 1999 or 2000. When collating my sets, I did discover quite a few errors and omissions, but 99% of the info is accurate. Every player and every card for each set is listed, so you can go through the book and pick out the sets that contain HOFers.

Good luck, and enjoy collecting the Minor League sets.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:19 AM

Recent minor league HOFer pick up. I love the crossover:

Old 07-21-2020, 10:10 AM

Here are my only HOF minor league cards.... Of course, the ultimate is Baltimore Ruth, followed by the T210 Jackson, but he not in the HOF!! (The T210 Stengel ain’t half bad either)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250FB675-BC99-4334-B6D3-97AC7CA8DD3C.jpg (10.8 KB, 460 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 AM

Default Zeenut MLB Hall of Famers

Here is a list of MLB Hall of Famers found in Zeenut sets:

1912 Dave Bancroft

1912 Home Run King Dave Bancroft (which was issued by Collins-McCarthy, same issuer that produced Zeenuts)

1913 Harry Heilmann

1914 Dave Bancroft

1915 Stan Covaleski

1915 Harry Heilmann

1916 Frank Chance - at end of career

1916 Billy Southworth

1917 Frank Chance - at end of career

1918 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1919 Dazzy Vance

1920 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1921 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1922 Tony Lazzeri

1923 Paul Waner

1924 Mickey Cochrane

1924 Paul Waner

1925 Tony Lazzeri

1925 Lloyd Waner

1925 Paul Waner

1926 Earl Averill

1926 Lloyd Waner

1927 Earl Averill

1927 Harry Hooper - at end of career

1928 Earl Averill

1928 Ernie Lombardi

1929 Lefty Gomez

1929 Ernie Lombardi

1930 Ernie Lombardi

1933/36 Joe Dimaggio batting

1933/36 Joe Dimaggio throwing

Brian
Old 07-21-2020, 12:24 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
Last summer I purchased a group of 900 different minor league sets, mostly 1970's, 80's, and a few 90's. I scanned them and listed them on eBay, and I learned to love these sets. They are so unique, and filled with error and correction cards, skip numbered sets, late season additions to the set, and an assortment of unique team names.

It was a tremendous task, making sure that every card was present in each set, scanning the cards, and writing the descriptions. I couldn't have done it if I hadn't spent around $40 to purchase the 2000 Standard Catalog of Minor League Baseball Cards by Krause/SCD and Bob Lemke. Nearly every set is listed in this book, up through 1999 or 2000. When collating my sets, I did discover quite a few errors and omissions, but 99% of the info is accurate. Every player and every card for each set is listed, so you can go through the book and pick out the sets that contain HOFers.

Good luck, and enjoy collecting the Minor League sets.

Rick
I have a lot of sets from the same years but even more, singles, ever since I started when I could get one at a good price I would buy or trade for it. I still love them and still buy them but they are harder to buy the ones I really want from those years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Recent minor league HOFer pick up. I love the crossover:

I have always loved this one because football was my first sports love watching when I was younger, lived in south Florida during the 1972 undefeated season run for the Miami Dolphins.

I had two of these in my life and traded both of them away for other things. One trade I am still happy with because it was a rarer older item, but the other trade I still kick myself for a little but I really had to do it at the time. I traded it for new highly sought after cards I was able to sell right away when I was unemployed and paying my bills selling at card shows back in the day.

I also love the crossover of the Danny Ainge card which is a few years older if I remember corrctly. I would love to get another one of either of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Here are my only HOF minor league cards.... Of course, the ultimate is Baltimore Ruth, followed by the T210 Jackson, but he not in the HOF!! (The T210 Stengel ain’t half bad either)
Wow, love that card, it great! Yeah, I would through Jackson in the with buying HOFers for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Here is a list of MLB Hall of Famers found in Zeenut sets:

1912 Dave Bancroft

1912 Home Run King Dave Bancroft (which was issued by Collins-McCarthy, same issuer that produced Zeenuts)

1913 Harry Heilmann

1914 Dave Bancroft

1915 Stan Covaleski

1915 Harry Heilmann

1916 Frank Chance - at end of career

1916 Billy Southworth

1917 Frank Chance - at end of career

1918 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1919 Dazzy Vance

1920 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1921 Sam Crawford - at end of career

1922 Tony Lazzeri

1923 Paul Waner

1924 Mickey Cochrane

1924 Paul Waner

1925 Tony Lazzeri

1925 Lloyd Waner

1925 Paul Waner

1926 Earl Averill

1926 Lloyd Waner

1927 Earl Averill

1927 Harry Hooper - at end of career

1928 Earl Averill

1928 Ernie Lombardi

1929 Lefty Gomez

1929 Ernie Lombardi

1930 Ernie Lombardi

1933/36 Joe Dimaggio batting

1933/36 Joe Dimaggio throwing

Brian
Oh, thank you so much for the list, yes that is a great help!!!

Last edited by sportscomicfantasy; 07-21-2020 at 12:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 07-21-2020, 01:43 PM

Of course!! I forgot about Dimaggio.... a HUGE one (or two). There is a 1920’s player too that has a minor league card- it came to auction recently. A buddy tried to convince me to buy it, but I was not into the player so I don’t recall who it was/is
Old 07-21-2020, 01:49 PM

It's a post career issue but Joe McGinnity is featured in the 1912 C46 set as a member of the Newark Bears.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:16 PM

Lefty Grove has a super rare minor league card from 1921.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:21 PM

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but of course the T206 set has some HOFers on minor league teams (although some of them were guys who had aged out of MLB and returned to the minor leagues). Beckely, McGinnity, Collins.
Old 07-21-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
That’s it, Lefty Grove!!

With respect to T206 guys, those aren’t rookie cards; isn’t the OP asking about rookies? If not, great call on those three T206 HOFers
Old 07-21-2020, 08:41 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Of course!! I forgot about Dimaggio.... a HUGE one (or two). There is a 1920’s player too that has a minor league card- it came to auction recently. A buddy tried to convince me to buy it, but I was not into the player so I don’t recall who it was/is
Thank you I would love to get one like that but I am sure it was way out of my price range unless it was like a 1. But I would of course LOVE a card like that, and I wouldn't care what condition it was in as long as I was not fake or reprinted.

Quote:
It's a post career issue but Joe McGinnity is featured in the 1912 C46 set as a member of the Newark Bears.
Not interested in post-career, but thank you anyways.

Quote:
Thank you, I will add it to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but of course the T206 set has some HOFers on minor league teams (although some of them were guys who had aged out of MLB and returned to the minor leagues). Beckely, McGinnity, Collins.
Not interested in them if they aged out, only at the very beginning of their careers, the first few years only, but thank you.

Quote:
That’s it, Lefty Grove!!

With respect to T206 guys, those aren’t rookie cards; isn’t the OP asking about rookies? If not, great call on those three T206 HOFers
Yes thank you, mostly rookies but I am sure if it's in their first few years I would be interested in them still, just I would pay more for the rookies to their value than I would for 2nd and 3rd years.
Old 07-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Thank you, everyone, for the help, I welcome any other cards that someone see's is missing from those listed by others already.

But my other big question from those of you in the know is, how likely are any of these old minor league cards to be forged or faked. I am just wondering if I would be safe going after raw cards that are not graded or should stay with only graded cards of the pre-war cards???
Old 07-21-2020, 08:51 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Here's the link to info re this card and a pic of it: https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...-tip-top/33306
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:57 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Here's the link to info re this card and a pic of it: https://www.psacard.com/cardfacts/ba...-tip-top/33306
That's a 1.5, it gorgous!
Old 07-21-2020, 11:30 PM
Jay Cee

Here is one most forget about. 1937 San Diego Padres PCL Real-Photo Team Postcard with Ted Williams (Rookie)

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46689
Old 07-22-2020, 07:22 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscomicfantasy View Post
Thank you, everyone, for the help, I welcome any other cards that someone see's is missing from those listed by others already.

But my other big question from those of you in the know is, how likely are any of these old minor league cards to be forged or faked. I am just wondering if I would be safe going after raw cards that are not graded or should stay with only graded cards of the pre-war cards???

Depends on your definition of "old". I haven't seen much in the way of Zeenuts forgeries but I don't know that I would plunk down four figures for a raw DeMaggio on eBay from an unknown seller (especially if he says "God bless" or mentions charity in the listing). The ML card I'd most like to own is the 1977 Chong Modesto Henderson, which has been faked.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 07-22-2020, 07:54 AM

Clark Griffith's Old Judge is a minor league issue. He's with Milwaukee still.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:17 PM
David Kathman

Quote:
As is Kid Nichols, with Omaha.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Earl Averill is in the 1928 PCL Exhibits set.

Brian
Old 07-23-2020, 06:53 AM
Phil Garry

If you follow this link, every baseball HOF'er as of 2010 is listed here along with their 5 earliest cards, including just about all minor league cards:

http://www.oldcardboard.com/ref/rookies/RookiesList.asp

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 07-23-2020 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:53 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
If you follow this link, every baseball HOF'er as of 2010 is listed here along with their 5 earliest cards, including just about all minor league cards:

^^^ This!! Plus, I miss your updates, Phil.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:30 PM
Phil Garry

I know, Ken. The auction house work has been keeping me busy these past couple of months. I have been in contact with Lyman though, we are in agreement that the BB HOF RC webpage needs to be updated. I have agreed to provide him with the info and he has agreed to make the necessary changes. Hopefully, all will be in place by, at least, the end of this year, hopefully sooner.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 07-23-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:28 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Here is one most forget about. 1937 San Diego Padres PCL Real-Photo Team Postcard with Ted Williams (Rookie)

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com...e?itemid=46689
Love the card, first it's way out of my price range unless I find one all creased up or something but that is still okay with me. Though I do feel the cards with just the player himself is really what I would be going after in a rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Depends on your definition of "old". I haven't seen much in the way of Zeenuts forgeries but I don't know that I would plunk down four figures for a raw DeMaggio on eBay from an unknown seller (especially if he says "God bless" or mentions charity in the listing). The ML card I'd most like to own is the 1977 Chong Modesto Henderson, which has been faked.
Well not having many forgeries makes me feel better about the Zeenuts. I too have been wanting a 1977 Chong Henderson too, I have tried to buy two of them in the past but that was back in the early '80s. Couldn't strike a deal as they wanted more then I could pay or thought it was worth at the time. Didn't Henderson have 1978 Chong as well? I must have 10 of his TCMA's first card, which I love, but his Chong along with Sandberg and Rypkiens rare minor league cards they have by the TV or Radio stations are also on my list of ones I would like to buy.

Quote:
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdcrdkid View Post
As is Kid Nichols, with Omaha.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Earl Averill is in the 1928 PCL Exhibits set.

Brian
Thank you.

Quote:

Brilliant! Thank you so much, that is perfect!
Old 07-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Michael
Michae! Sh@cter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
^^^ This!! Plus, I miss your updates, Phil.
Quote:
I know, Ken. The auction house work has been keeping me busy these past couple of months. I have been in contact with Lyman though, we are in agreement that the BB HOF RC webpage needs to be updated. I have agreed to provide him with the info and he has agreed to make the necessary changes. Hopefully, all will be in place by, at least, the end of this year, hopefully sooner.
Thank you for work with keeping it up, it is a fantastic reference!
Old 07-25-2020, 11:44 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
i know, ken. The auction house work has been keeping me busy these past couple of months. I have been in contact with lyman though, we are in agreement that the bb hof rc webpage needs to be updated. I have agreed to provide him with the info and he has agreed to make the necessary changes. Hopefully, all will be in place by, at least, the end of this year, hopefully sooner.
+1000!!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:26 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Not sure if you collect postcards, but the LOTG auction that ends tonight has a bunch of postcards with HOFers during their minor league days.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:25 PM
Andrew Mc.Gann

I have most of the modern minor league HOF RCs minus the big 3 (Henderson, Ripken and Sandberg):

https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...shedset/278808

In terms of older cards, I have a 1960 Marichal at PSA now and I'm on the lookout for a '58 Gibson. The '82 Elway is still my favorite. Love that card!