NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-18-2021, 10:39 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Default thank you goldin auctions for resolving my issue

I wanted to inform everyone that Ken Goldin stepped up above and beyond the call of duty and not only made me whole, but I look forward to doing business with them in the future. I have had a long and positive relationship with Goldin Auctions and under the circumstances will view this as a mulligan and appreciate their stepping up to the plate to satisfy me in this manner.

Last edited by vintagehofrookies; 04-19-2021 at 03:48 PM. Reason: issue resolved
Old 04-18-2021, 11:08 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Sorry you went through that Dan, always disappointing when an AH mishandles a significant consignment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 04-18-2021, 11:16 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
I had consigned my almost complete signed 1954 Topps baseball set (incl the Howie Fox) to Goldin auctions in their last auction along with a signed 1936 R312 Joe DiMaggio PSA/DNA. I consigned with them because in my mind, Goldin and REA are the top 2 AH to consign to. I will say that after my experience with Goldin it is BLATANTLY OBVIOUS that REA is the ONLY AH to consign to if you want not only top dollar for your items but, more importantly, if you want your items cared for and with some actual thought put in to your items auction listing. The clueless amateur's at Goldin not only didn't follow the instructions in which we agreed upon my consigning the items to them but it seems as though they rushed my 54' set listing with the most vague description ever and after numerous emails they finally updated the listing with a picture of the Howie Fox only after almost a week into the auction and actually made a note of his appearance in the set in the auction description after the auction was running for a WEEK! Now I dont know about anyone else but when an auction goes live I go through all the lots and either watch or place a bid on the ones I'm interested in and for the ones that didn't catch my eye, I'm done with them and dont go back to them. In my mind I feel I lost a very good amount of potential bidders because of Goldin's lack of care or knowledge that was put into my items and instead of contacting me if they had any questions on the lot they just ran with it. When I brought this issue up to Ken he didn't even acknowledge it. There was no "I'm sorry we're a bunch of clueless idiots" or not even just a basic "I'm sorry", nothing. If you have any items to consign I would strongly suggest/recommend stay FAR AWAY FROM GOLDIN AUCTIONS and consign to REA, Collect, Hugging and Scott, Lelands, anyone else but Goldin!

sorry for the long rant
When Ken started his auction house, I pointed out bootleg items to him in his auction. His response was that he didn't care.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Sorry about hearing this. You make an excellent point about prospective bidders "marking" the items they're interested in, and rarely if ever revisiting the rest. Addendums are really only a partial fix.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:18 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I'm sorry to hear that Dan. I took a look at the listing right now, and I'm surprised they listed it all in one lot. I would think at a minimum they should've known to split out the Williamses, Mays, Robinson, Fox, and the four HOF rookies.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 AM

Dan I apologize for the way the team handled this.
The item should have been pulled if the listing was not fully listed or was inaccurate. Unfortunately we have a lot of new employees who had to be hired due to our rapid growth and the auction took place when we were closed due to a covid outbreak in the office and changes were not able to be made quickly. I did not hear from you until after the auction and unfortunately was unaware of this and would have pulled it prior to close had I been so informed. I am very upset that the set was handled in this manner. I have emailed you to see how I can financially make this up to you.
You have been a long time bidder and consignor and I hope I can make this up to you and earn back your business.
My apologies
Ken Goldin

Last edited by Goldin Auctions; 04-19-2021 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM
Robert Williams

Dan, can I see a link to the auction?
Old 04-19-2021, 07:16 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=79361

Wow.. that was a crazy lot. Could have sold a lot more for sure. Hopefully Goldin will make up your loss.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:18 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I hope Ken will make it right, seems like a good person from the times I have dealt with him.

I think this is a link to the auction:

https://goldinauctions.com/LotDetail...entoryid=79361
Old 04-19-2021, 07:22 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Meanwhile, every other lot sells for record highs. Like 30 jordan 86 fleers running all at once.

Sorry this happened Dan, definitely a low price for the contents.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-19-2021, 07:25 AM
Robert Williams

WOW!!! Zero mention of how tough the Fox card even is. They probably had no clue and though it was just another common.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:44 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

With an AH that does the volume that Goldin does it may not be fair or practical, but it seems that with a consignment like this the consignor might want to require as a condition of the consignment advance approval of the listing. I can see how this would be a huge pain in the ass for AHs, as some people would be nitpicking adjectives at the like or even re-writing it entirely, its true once the horse leaves the barn you can never really fix things.

As some AHs venture more and more into Michael Jordan everything, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, Mike Trout gold refractors, Zion everything, non fungible tokens, etc., etc., I think there will be a real benefit to the AHs that more knowledgeably focus on baseball.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 04-19-2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:51 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
WOW!!! Zero mention of how tough the Fox card even is. They probably had no clue and though it was just another common.
They did put a sentence about it in the description, but I agree, they definitely buried the lede (lead?) on that one. That card should've been its own lot, at least. I've never seen Fox get lumped in with other cards; it always gets listed on its own. I'm biting my tongue here or else I'd use some more colorful language about the way that listing was handled, but suffice it to say they sent the freshman squad to do a job that called for the varsity team.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:36 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Consigner is at fault.

You consign something. You check it the first day it goes live and contact them right away if there are any issues.

I've done that with Goldin and other auction houses, they've always fixed right away.

Consignor also could have pulled.

He rolled the dice.

Edited to say - unless the consignor really did email them and they ignored his emails. Then auction house.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 04-19-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:47 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post

I honestly didn't know the Fox was a tough card...
Old 04-19-2021, 10:29 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Consigner is at fault.

You consign something. You check it the first day it goes live and contact them right away if there are any issues.

I've done that with Goldin and other auction houses, they've always fixed right away.

He rolled the dice.

Edited to say - unless the consignor really did email them and they ignored his emails. Then auction house.

Read to me as though he did contact them and it took a week to fix it. Also sounds like they agreed upon some content and structure upon consigning it and it was ignored when listing it.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:49 AM
R@ndy Hart.soe

Auction houses pull items quite often after the auction starts. You also have the option of putting a reserve on the item. They don't like it but with the potential value of your set they would have.

It is true that it would have probably gotten a lot more money if broken up with Aaron, Banks, Fox, Robinson, and Williams at least in stand alone auctions.

Overall, Golden is getting record prices. All auction houses screw up at times.

I have several similar stories with some of the big guys as well.

It is a gamble in any auction with a high dollar item if no reserve is in place.

What did you expect to get for the set?

Did they waive the seller consignment fee?

Last edited by rand1com; 04-19-2021 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add content
Old 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Can someone please explain the Howard Fox card, please. Is there a variation? Prices on VCP do not reflect any spike in price.
Old 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Consigner is at fault.

He rolled the dice.

No, per the OP. The auction house did not follow the instructions they agreed upon when consigned. It took several emails and time to correct errors. How is any of this the OP's fault?

Last edited by rats60; 04-19-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:04 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
Can someone please explain the Howard Fox card, please. Is there a variation? Prices on VCP do not reflect any spike in price.
He died shortly after the release of the card. It is EXTREMELY hard to get a signed 1954 Topps card of his, as he simply wasn't around that long after their release.

Equate it to the Perez Steele Kirby Puckett and Richie Ashburn. Deaths shortly after their release limited the time to get some signed.

Last edited by bobbyw8469; 04-19-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:20 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling Sports Auctions View Post
It doesn't have anything to do with a variation. He was released by the Orioles at the end of the season and spent all of 1955 in the minors before being murdered that October. He had a very short window of opportunity to sign the card, and there probably weren't a lot of people who made the effort to track down a journeyman relief pitcher while they had the chance.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:37 AM
Dave Foster

What I recall of Fox, is he got fatally knifed in a bar fight in '55. So, yeah, super tough common sig to land on his '54T.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM
Lee B.
lee be.hrens

Sorry, I missed the fact it was a signed set. Interesting tragic story on Mr. Fox.

Lee
Old 04-19-2021, 03:33 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

Communication is 100% the biggest issue with the entire operation at Goldin...now that it seems the server issues have been taken care of.

Email with question about item before auction ends? Nothing.
Takes 3 weeks and multiple emails to multiple people to get bidding limit raised.
Buy something, never get email invoice. Pay for that invoice, never get email confirmation.
Ask for update on shipping? Item arrives before someone responds that it should ship by he end of the week.

There isn’t a single auction house that has SUCH bad customer service and people still flock to Goldin. The majority of cards/items would do better at other AH’s.

Last edited by notfast; 04-19-2021 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:52 PM
Dan McHugh IV
Banned

Everyone,

Ken came through and really did go above and beyond what I would expect anyone to do. We had a very professional phone conversation and I feel he more than made up for my issues. I would like to thank him for the quick resolution to the matter.

Dan
Old 04-19-2021, 04:45 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Awesome to hear - thank you for sharing

We are all human and make mistakes. How we respond when we do is the making or breaking of integrity and potentially good/bad for business - I have my first consignment coming up with Goldin and am happy to hear Ken made this situation "right".

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:04 PM
R@y H0lmes

With the original post edited it's like it almost never happened.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:18 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagehofrookies View Post
I wanted to inform everyone that Ken Goldin stepped up above and beyond the call of duty and not only made me whole, but I look forward to doing business with them in the future. I have had a long and positive relationship with Goldin Auctions and under the circumstances will view this as a mulligan and appreciate their stepping up to the plate to satisfy me in this manner.

We all make mistakes, and it's all about how we deal with them.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Years back, I consigned a lot and, so as to make sure there were no mixups or items missed or rarities ignored, included my auction description. The auction house like the description enough they asked if they could cut and paste it. Since then, I've basically done the same for other consignments at other places.

I think it is good practice to make a list of what you have, for your benefit and theirs.

Last edited by drcy; 04-19-2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:40 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I thought that Ken's apology in post #6 was heartfelt and sincere. No making excuses or attempts at justification... just remorse and a promise to make it right. Pretty rare to see that these days... especially in comparison to the current crop of TPGs.

Good for Goldin, that they apparently followed through (and in a timely manner). It's too bad you had to sweat through this, but good to know you're ultimately satisfied with the result.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:57 PM
Mike

I'd just like to know who certied that auto of Howie Fox. Was it signed while he was being murdered, sure looks like it ? Any comments on the condition of that auto ?
Old 04-20-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldin Auctions View Post
Dan I apologize for the way the team handled this.
The item should have been pulled if the listing was not fully listed or was inaccurate. Unfortunately we have a lot of new employees who had to be hired due to our rapid growth and the auction took place when we were closed due to a covid outbreak in the office and changes were not able to be made quickly. I did not hear from you until after the auction and unfortunately was unaware of this and would have pulled it prior to close had I been so informed. I am very upset that the set was handled in this manner. I have emailed you to see how I can financially make this up to you.
You have been a long time bidder and consignor and I hope I can make this up to you and earn back your business.
My apologies
Ken Goldin
Good response with a reasonable explanation for the issues encountered. I would not hesitate to use Ken. Thanks for the update and glad the original consignor ended up satisfied.

Regards,
Old 04-20-2021, 07:23 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidethewrapper View Post
I'd just like to know who certied that auto of Howie Fox. Was it signed while he was being murdered, sure looks like it ? Any comments on the condition of that auto ?

Probably sounded a lot funnier in your head, you're comment is crass as f@!&

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 04-20-2021, 08:33 AM
D@ve R1cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
Probably sounded a lot funnier in your head, you're comment is crass as f@!&
A Republican being upset by crassness, now that's a good one lol
Old 04-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
lol I don't like that sig either.
Old 04-20-2021, 02:59 PM
Bill Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by honus94566 View Post
A Republican being upset by crassness, now that's a good one lol
So woke.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:44 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
It's in rough shape, but it looks good to me.