NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-20-2020, 03:00 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Default "best" way to send cards

I sent a small box of T206's today via UPS Ground with insurance and the total was $124.
I just calculated shipping the same box on USPS.com and the price for Priority flat rate Registered with insurance was $40.50.
Am I missing anything? (Hopefully not my cards )
Old 08-20-2020, 03:12 PM

Default UPS ?? Insured ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinGa View Post
I sent a small box of T206's today via UPS Ground with insurance and the total was $124.
I just calculated shipping the same box on USPS.com and the price for Priority flat rate Registered with insurance was $40.50.

..was UPS made aware that old baseball cards were in that box ?? And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??

Old 08-20-2020, 03:13 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default USPS v/s UPS

USPS registered mail is transferred through the system under lock and key.

Why such a different in price, did you require UPS to have signature to deliver.

Did you go directly to UPS or a Contracted UPS store front which may be double the fee?

Last edited by Directly; 08-20-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:32 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??
I thought FEDEX was the one that would sell you $10,000 in insurance and then pay out only $1,000 since that's the max limit in their policy for collectibles...
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:45 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
USPS registered mail is transferred through the system under lock and key.

Why such a different in price, did you require UPS to have signature to deliver.

Did you go directly to UPS or a Contracted UPS store front which may be double the fee?
yes, asked for signature. Contracted UPS store front.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:46 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
..was UPS made aware that old baseball cards were in that box ?? And they accepted money for UPS " insurance " . ??

Yes, they asked what I was shipping and I told them baseball cards.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:02 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

I have a UPS Capital flex policy which covers high value shipments. It's very inexpensive and has always paid out when needed. My annual spend is also about $400k so not sure how that works for persons shipping cards. May be worth looking into.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Bruce Fairchild

I just left the post office. Mailed in a Priority medium flat rate box, Registered with signature confirmation and $10,000 insurance. $47.30 with a delivery date of Monday.
One odd thing, they wouldn't allow box tape. All openings/seams must use gummed brown tape.
Old 08-21-2020, 12:32 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Insurance must be high thru UPS. If you are ever sending ANYTHING of value, USPS Registered Mail is the way to go. Might be slow...but it is secure.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:13 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Yep, anything sent registered thru USPS--you must use the brown gum tape.
I had to do that several times--on all seams.
In fact, bought a roll myself. Just wet it and stick it. Sometimes you get a nice clerk to do it in front of you at no charge with their tape.

BTW- My recent experience with FEDEX- i had a next day package for a small car part in a bag...They decided to put it on a windshield(under wiper) on one of my cars in the driveway. Lazy assholes!!!!

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 08-21-2020 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I just left the post office. Mailed in a Priority medium flat rate box, Registered with signature confirmation and $10,000 insurance. $47.30 with a delivery date of Monday.
One odd thing, they wouldn't allow box tape. All openings/seams must use gummed brown tape.
That doesn't sound that bad for that much insurance included. All the registered I have sent (*and i think all registered) require that brown tape.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:02 AM
Robert Williams

I tried to use brown tape before (imagine just like clear 3M packing tape....but brown). I was quickly told that was incorrect - that is MUST be the gummed brown "paper" tape.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:28 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I tried to use brown tape before (imagine just like clear 3M packing tape....but brown). I was quickly told that was incorrect - that is MUST be the gummed brown "paper" tape.
Correct, I also asked the clerk and he said no "plastic" tape.
I just bought a roll of reinforced kraft gummed tape at Grainger, $11.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:24 PM
Thomas
Th0mas Ch.urch

Sent a package w/ insurance via USPS website once. NC to Beckett. With $5k insurance which was all I could get online even though value was more like $6000, and priority mail, cost $88. Package went missing in Dallas ,I believe ( whichever hub is nearest Beckett). Filed a claim, had to "prove" the contents value, Basically where I had printouts from where I had bought some of the items online. Ended up receiving roughly $4500 from USPS . The teller at the PO says, " wonder how much it would have cost to ship that registered"? Calculated $5k insurance , still priority , Would have been $33. He said b/c the package is signed for every time it changes hands, the insurance is basically "free" .

I know whenever I ship anything of value now, it goes registered.

The paper tape is so no-one can remove the date/red stamp that they use on all edges and seems.

Last edited by icurnmedic; 08-25-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
You have to use tape that is porous on the outside so the red USPS stamp can be placed on it. Every seam is stamped to prevent someone from opening the package and then resealing it. It doesn't have to be gummed tape. Adhesive tape is fine as long as the other side of the tape will absorb ink.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-25-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
You have to use tape that is porous on the outside so the red USPS stamp can be placed on it. Every seam is stamped to prevent someone from opening the package and then resealing it. It doesn't have to be gummed tape. Adhesive tape is fine as long as the other side of the tape will absorb ink.
Good to know. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:48 PM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
I figured there must be a good reason, thanks.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I figured there must be a good reason, thanks.
From my understanding jewelers use registered mail to send diamonds. Overnight is pretty safe too....
Old 08-28-2020, 05:46 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I only use USPS overnight or registered. Insured... Registered actually includes up to $25k in free insurance because the risk is so low...Overnight is good also since less hands touch package. My local LCS uses UPS and they regularly misplace high dollar packages and he has that large policy program also...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Ma.tt Whi.te

My go to is priority express. 1-2 days just about everywhere. Cost $25ish. Get a collectibles insurance policy and you are covered that way.

Just sold some stuff yesterday morning, dropped at USPS around 9:30am in Maryland, delivered to Ohio at 10:30 this morning.

Can’t beat that service for the price.
Old 08-29-2020, 09:02 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Registered actually includes up to $25k in free insurance because the risk is so low.
This is actually NOT true. I sent enough Reigstered to know. You PAY for whatever you value your package at. That determines the price.