NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM

Default Introduction 19th century collector

I am newly registered, but have been a long time reader of net 54. Currently I collect 19th century baseball books, primarily associational copies relating to George Wright and Henry Chadwick, along with related cdvs and cabinets. I have been collecting in varying degrees of intensity for over 40 years but have had to part with (for varying reasons) an excellent book collection and an important 1912 world series collection. Recently i have had excellent interactions with net 54 members,(thank you especially Max and Jim) and have known of and admired Barry's book expertise for a long time.
i do not collect cards unless you count my Ashburn cards from childhood, or things like Warren cdvs. I have grown to love t206s from reading the forum, but have none. I still have some non-baseball books (1st ed lewis and clark w/o map) but now concentrate solely on baseball.
I love unique, unusual associational items and thought an interesting item for my first post would be to refer those who have a Chadwick's 1868 Game of Baseball(1st or reprint) to page 47 to find the error that chadwick corrected in my copy. Considering the early date of the book, this typo could have been very confusing to eary players.
I look forward to participating and contibuting in a posive way, may ask a few questions for help on getting info on a few of my items, and i hope to participate in the b/s/t area (empahsis on trade where almost anything i have is tradable for something i want more).
Unfortunatley i do not have a scan, but do have access to one so please be patient with me. thank you.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

welcome to the forum..Good luck in the quest.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:32 AM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! Dave.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard the board!!
all the best
barry
Old 09-18-2013, 11:36 AM

Welcome

(Hey Barry)
Old 09-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank

thanks for the greeting, ole buddy.
I'd been wondering where you were!
all the best,
barry
Old 09-19-2013, 09:21 AM
Max Weder

Welcome Bruce and good to see you here.

Not 19th century as I noted (and thanks to Jason19th), but a Ward to welcome you

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 AM

Default thank you and answer to chadwick correction

Thank you all for the welcomes and the pm. I love the Ward, max and it is technically 19th century, at least to me. Since no one refered to or commented on the chadwick error reference, i will give the answer in case anyone was curious. In the diagram on pg 47 of Chadwick's 1868 Game of Baseball book, 1st and 3rd bases are reversed. this is clearly a typo based upon point of reference, but was not caught,(until chadwick corrected errors, possibly for another printing which never occurred) and i think it is especially interesting in light of the date and importance of the book.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Max Weder

Bruce

The Ward edition was 1901 with a new chapter (which I'll get copied for you)

For true 19th century titles, you might be able to pick up an 1860s title if there are any still left from this ad:

Old 09-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Eric Perry

"Base Ball as viewed by A. Muffer"

Either a funny coincidence, or an even funnier title.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Bill Gregory

Welcome aboard, Bruce! I am glad you decided to sign up.

I really love the history of baseball, and have recently started delving more deeply into the game's origins. I have an interest in learning more about the Wright brothers, Henry Chadwick, and A.G. Spalding among others, so I eagerly look forward to your contributions.

Best wishes,

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:20 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

Actual title of the book is "muffin"

Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Barry Sloate

Welcome to the board, and great to see a rare book collector. There aren't too many left in the baseball world. And thanks for the kind words (and I've been away, I just saw this).
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgar3 View Post
Thank you all for the welcomes and the pm. I love the Ward, max and it is technically 19th century, at least to me. Since no one refered to or commented on the chadwick error reference, i will give the answer in case anyone was curious. In the diagram on pg 47 of Chadwick's 1868 Game of Baseball book, 1st and 3rd bases are reversed. this is clearly a typo based upon point of reference, but was not caught,(until chadwick corrected errors, possibly for another printing which never occurred) and i think it is especially interesting in light of the date and importance of the book.
I just checked the image in my reprint edition, and the shortstop is also on the wrong side of the infield. Never saw this before.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Actual title of the book is "muffin"

Max,

Understood...it is the title within the advertisement below which prompted my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Bruce

The Ward edition was 1901 with a new chapter (which I'll get copied for you)

For true 19th century titles, you might be able to pick up an 1860s title if there are any still left from this ad:

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 09-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Eric Perry

To open up a 19th Century Base Ball discussion, and to welcome a new member to Net54, I offer the following question.

Who were the first three men to accumulate 3,000 hits?

Hint: One was done playing before 1900. He was also influential in keeping fellows such as Fleetwood Walker out of the game. The other two were tours-de-force in the early Twentieth Century.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Welcome to the board. I echo Barry's post. Its always good to have a new book collector on the board. As user name suggests I collected 19th century item for a while specializing in "odd ball" items like school books and game books that reference early baseball. I have alter path a bit and now center on Negro league and Cuban items (hence the Ward book now on the way to Max) Here a scan of what a believe is the 1st baseball book printed in Cuba
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cuba1.jpg (71.4 KB, 72 views)
Old 09-22-2013, 07:04 AM

thank you for the additional welcomes. barry, thought you would especially like the need to correct the diagram, if i could scan i would post it as corrected by chadwick. there are lots of other corrections, but nothing really major, mostly punctuation, spelling and rephrasing. let me know it you would like me to check something.
eric, i think anson was the first with 3000 hits, not sure who followed him, but most likely cobb and speaker.
jason, great book, never saw one. have you checked the writing on the cover? i always find it useful to research whatever name is in the book, you would be surprised what you can find.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Bruce, and since you didn't post your name (one of my pet peeves concerning message boards), I figured out after I posted who you were. Of course we know each other, although it's been a few years since we last spoke. I do remember there was a Chadwick proof floating around, and I guess that is your source of this information. If you have anything else of interest regarding the corrections, please post them here. I long ago sold my baseball book collection but still consider it an area of interest.