NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 AM

Default PSA purchases AI company Genamint

There’s a pretty funny line about half way through....

As a 10 million card backup hit card grader PSA, which led to a price increase and then a shutdown of submissions, collectors mused that a machine-graded company would come and compete with the industry giant.

Then came Wednesday’s twist.

Collectors Universe, parent company of PSA, announced it has purchased Genamint, an artificial intelligence company that built a system to fingerprint a card to its unique marks, detect if it was tampered with and grade it.

Terms weren’t disclosed.

Genamint, the pandemic era brainchild of Kevin Lenane, had a fundraising round from investors including Nat Turner, noted card collector and executive chairman of Collectors Universe.

Lenane said Turner, who along with other investors bought Collectors Universe for $853 million in January, gave him a bona fide offer before the company firmly got off the ground.

Turner told The Action Network that PSA would still be graded by humans, but the technology from Genamint will provide a huge assist to the process.

Turner was first turned on to computer assistance when he was building his company Flatiron Health. There, computers helped nurses sort clinical trial data faster and more accurately. Turner sold that company for $1.9 billion in 2018.

When a card comes into PSA, it is scanned. Using Genamint’s technology, the computer will put up print marks and surface defects so that every card will be unique.

“Each card has different combinations of 70 major anomalies that we’ve identified,” Lenane said. “From major ones like creases and scratches and stains to single pixels that are compromised.”

Based on learnings made from every card, the machine will be able to pick up if a card is trimmed or if a person has cracked out a card that was previously graded in hopes of getting a better grade.

Both aren’t common occurrences but mean a lot to uphold PSA’s integrity.

In early March, PSA, having trouble keeping up with the card boom, doubled prices, thinking it was going to allow the company to slow submissions down enough. The timing of the announcement seemed to have been leaked, as two days before, a record 660,000 cards were submitted where the old price had to be honored.

By the end of the month, PSA made the hard call of shutting down card submissions — except the high end Super Express option — to enable the company to catch up.

“The team came to me and it was apparent that it was necessary to do what was right,” Turner said. “The funny thing is I got so much hate mail with the price increases and pretty much nothing when we shut things down.”

Turner said PSA was getting so many card submissions that it essentially shut down the U.S. Postal Service in Southern California.

“We literally broke the postal service,” Turner said. “We couldn’t tell our customers where their packages were and that’s just not acceptable.”

Turner said he hopes to get all service levels restored by July 1.

More graders are being added every two weeks and the company is currently working through the backlog by grading 20,000 to 25,000 cards a day, Turner said.

With their latest acquisition, PSA executives are hoping it will greatly aid speed and accuracy.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/news/p...ading-april-21
Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Ha. Found it.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Trae Regan

"As a 10 million card backup hit card grader PSA..."

"More graders are being added every two weeks and the company is currently working through the backlog by grading 20,000 to 25,000 cards a day, Turner said."

"Turner said he hopes to get all service levels restored by July 1."

The math on that goal certainly does not check out.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:53 AM
Dave

I'm guessing this is the line.

Quote:
Both aren’t common occurrences but mean a lot to uphold PSA’s integrity.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:20 AM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Yep, pretty sure that's the line....

This could be interesting though. If this AI does what is claimed (I know it's a huge IF), this could be yet another boom for PSA. If the AI can legitimately spot altered cards, I would think there would be a huge premium for cards in "Post AI" slabs. PSA would get to (charge to) re-slab every card currently in a PSA holder with no cost to them except the cost of the new holder.

Maybe that's the plan to financially cover the PSA Guarantee on already slabbed, altered cards?
Old 04-21-2021, 11:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

If this can REALLY detect trimming a whole lot of folks are not going to be happy. Kiss those gem rates goodbye.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-21-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:29 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206.org View Post
"As a 10 million card backup hit card grader PSA..."

"More graders are being added every two weeks and the company is currently working through the backlog by grading 20,000 to 25,000 cards a day, Turner said."

"Turner said he hopes to get all service levels restored by July 1."

The math on that goal certainly does not check out.
Hahaha. Yup. 10 million cards at 25k/day is over a year. I know they don’t need to get the queue down to zero to start taking subs again, but I would think they would need to get it to at least half, which puts you into October!
Old 04-21-2021, 11:29 AM
Wimberleycardcollector

I don't collect graded cards but it sounds like a whole bunch of blah, blah, blah.
Doesn't happen that often? They obviously don't visit the blowout forum. LOL.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:32 AM
Johnny MaZilli

It would not surprised if Bulk/Economy does not come back.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:38 AM
Dave

Does anybody actually think PSA is going to remove cards from the system that they've already F'd up on?

Also, I'm reading this as the program takes a finger print of a card when it first goes through the PSA system, so as to catch any alterations, the 2nd time it goes through the system in crack and resubmits.

Not a lot of mention of alterations done to raw cards or coming from other graders.

We'll see how it goes, but for some reason the word "synergy", keeps on blaring in my head, over and over and over again.

Gotta start somewhere I guess.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Bingo!
Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Scott Russell

Remember also that huge companies by up small companies that they feel are a threat and then just bury them...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-21-2021, 12:44 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Remember also that huge companies by up small companies that they feel are a threat and then just bury them...

Yup. Proprietary software become theirs to do whatever they want with it. Often to just make it disappear. Ebay was doing this every other week back in the late 1990's, early 2000's with various start-ups.

I think they even tried to claim ownership of the "Buy It Now" button at one point, because they bought out the guy who said he "invented" it. LOL!

I might have made that last part up...........but I'm not entirely sure about that.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:47 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

What's going to happen if somebody sends back a PSA 10 for reholdering and PSA sees something wrong with it while using this newly-acquired technology? And what if this happens 7,000 times?
Old 04-21-2021, 12:59 PM
Howard Chasser

Default If they are going to "do the right thing"

I would say no reholdering of old grades. If you want a new grade - it has to be earned through the new system.

I pray that this will be "used for good". Based on past threads, I suspect Kevin created this from a really great space - PSA has a real opportunity here - I truly hope it is capitalized on with integrity!

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:04 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I would say no reholdering of old grades. If you want a new grade - it has to be earned through the new system.

I pray that this will be "used for good". Based on past threads, I suspect Kevin created this from a really great space - PSA has a real opportunity here - I truly hope it is capitalized on with integrity!
I agree with the part I made bold. It should be like the new holder and really promote it as the greatest thing in grading ever. Then 6 months in change the holder or at the very least completely redesign the flip again. New is always better.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:44 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post

Not questioning Kevin's motives AT ALL. Not even questioning PSA, just hoping...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 04-21-2021, 02:34 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Don't be fooled. The card doctors already have their teams of techies working 24 hours a day trying to discover how to 'beat' this new technology and keep the money presses rolling...

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:48 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
What's going to happen if somebody sends back a PSA 10 for reholdering and PSA sees something wrong with it while using this newly-acquired technology? And what if this happens 7,000 times?
I think you're probably missing some zeroes on that.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:35 PM
P@trick R.omolo

I don't know how they are grading 20,000 - 25,000 cards a day when none
of the completed to date times have changed in over 2 weeks except the
walk - through and super express services.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:43 PM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Yeah, I'm reminded of the companies buying up the streetcars.

"Between 1938 and 1950, National City Lines and its subsidiaries, American City Lines and Pacific City Lines—with investment from GM, Firestone Tire, Standard Oil of California (through a subsidiary), Federal Engineering, Phillips Petroleum, and Mack Trucks—gained control of transit systems in about 25 cities"

Then they dismantled them.
Old 04-21-2021, 06:41 PM
Casey

I worked as a contractor for an AI start up company before COVID. The scope was image language translation. We were granted 8 patents so far. What is proposed here should be super easy once enough reference data is collected. It won't take much for these applications. What will intrigue me more is autograph authentication. With AI they could then set the system on autopilot for authentication and multi factor grading. AI is not robots taking over the world, but is certainly mind blowing.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat R View Post
I don't know how they are grading 20,000 - 25,000 cards a day when none
of the completed to date times have changed in over 2 weeks except the
walk - through and super express services.
They are moving...but not very quickly. The "Value Modern" Complete Through rate changed from Aug 2nd to Aug 5th.
Old 04-21-2021, 07:42 PM
Justin

Express moved 1 day from Feb 15 to 16th today also FWIW

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-22-2021, 07:20 AM
Tony Ooten

Kevin is the board member that was asking for scans of 33 goudeys not that long ago..... to test his technology, right?

Great for him!
Old 04-22-2021, 07:23 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcosta19 View Post
Express moved 1 day from Feb 15 to 16th today also FWIW

Nice....that doesn't help my order that they have been sitting on since June.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:01 AM
Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Nice....that doesn't help my order that they have been sitting on since June.
Doesn't help anyone really except people who submitted express on Feb 16th.
I was just pointing out that it did move slightly since someone else stated that there was zero movement in over 2 weeks.

Hope they start catching up much faster on the bulk and quarterly specials.

Old 04-22-2021, 09:40 AM
Chris Kim
Banned

They just hired hundreds of graders and will out of jobs in a few wks. Ding!
Old 04-22-2021, 09:29 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

PSA:

Last edited by drcy; 04-22-2021 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 04:38 AM

Hey all thanks for the kind words! FTR - it's definitely going exist as a combined human/machine solution - so we are still hiring in all lanes in every way. FTR if you have product management experience and have a desire to work on next gen CollectTech products - please reach out.... General questions also welcome...