NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 09-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Trevor Hocking

Default What is your favorite 90’s insert set

So I was able to pick up my all time favorite 90’s insert set. The 1994 SP Holoview. This was 1 per box and a 38 card set and for those who are not familiar this is a very star studded set which also includes a special Michael Jordan appearance. Now if you really want the chase the red die cuts are almost impossible to pull! So with names like Griffey and A Rod this was my all time fav! Just landed a red die cut Griffey which is on the.

Happy collecting!
Trevor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E93ED83B-5280-481C-9BD8-BB6F44A18F93.jpg (19.9 KB, 429 views)
Old 09-20-2020, 12:31 PM
Curt

Tough to answer if you were in the mix them collecting these cards and liked them. So many new and creative designs. Acetates, dufex, lenticulars, die cuts, foils, etc.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:57 PM
Tony Ooten

1994 pinnacle museum

maybe it's parallel, not insert, but loved it anyway

insert: Pinnacle Team Pinnacles.

I guess I liked the pinnacle products

Last edited by tonyo; 09-20-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:12 PM
Tim Odeen

In 1996 I was 10 y.o. Topps Laser came out and I was blown away by that set. Love the set and inserts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 09-22-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:38 PM
Trevor Hocking

Ah yes the sunburst Pinnacle parallels. How about Donruss Elite. And man did some say Topps Laser yes please! Nice picks guys!

By the way it’s not really without photos!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DD5CB8C8-EBC0-47FD-90C4-FACE9E3DE3E5.jpg (20.3 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by snider4prez; 09-20-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

1996 Pinnacle Starburst

1996 Pinnacle Summit Above and Beyond

1996 Topps Gallery Peter Max

1997 Topps Stadium Club Matrix

Basically, anything with etched Dufex is tempting.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-21-2020, 06:39 AM
Trevor Hocking

BOOM! I knew you where holding out Adam. And yes it’s been 14 years man! Love the “Starburst” Griffey, don’t have that one yet.

Finest refractors have to make top 5 right!
Old 09-21-2020, 09:31 AM
Al Richter

In 1991 during their 40 year celebration Topps purchased 3 full sets of their cards for every year and gave them away as individual insert cards or redemption cards, or individual sets or a full run of sets ( grand prize) by means of pack inserts of Instant Game Win Cards. The cards were numbered. Pretty sure 264 cards were possible. I have all but 3, which I think may have been big prize cards where only one was issued. Not sure. Still looking for those 3 to complete the "set"

In 1990 you could build a set of 22 Batting Leaders cards from Topps Blister packs. Those cards were pictured on top of middle row of the packs. I had to buy a lot of blister packs to finish the set

I really like the Topps Black Gold ( 44) and Gold ( 825/792) inserts from from 93 and 94. Both versions of the Black Gold checklists are tough, as discussed in another thread

A question for the group...maybe Dylan will know....in 1991 in addition to the Instant Win cards mentioned above there were also Match The Stats insert cards. I have a bunch but unsure how many comprise a "set". Anyone know ?
Old 09-22-2020, 11:25 AM
Josh Adams

93 Topps Finest refractors for baseball

1997 Sp Authentic Profile 3 #d' /100 for basketball

1994 Topps Finest Refractors for football.

any PMGs for Hockey
Old 09-22-2020, 11:12 PM
Curt

Came back to add a few images, but I could list images all night and still not hit all the cool set.

Thought about it and probably my favorite 90s insert set is a basketball issue, the 1995-96 Flair Hot Numbers set. They can appear busy, but the lenticular style and the dept to those cards was amazing. Taking that a step further, and they were redemption only, but the Skybox Meltdown cards of Hill and Stackhouse were epic, where the wall melted behind the player as you tilted the card. it's not for everyone, but if you were buying cards new in the early to mid 90s, some of the greatest looking and unique cards were being introduced left and right. With all the technology and advances in cards, you'd think we'd still be getting great ideas and designed, but it seems to have died. They gave up or the monopolies just stunted the creativity because they didn't have to win us over, but the 90s lives on as the most creative era ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l300.jpg (17.2 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg th-1.jpg (14.4 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg th-2.jpg (15.9 KB, 348 views)
File Type: jpg th.jpg (9.7 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (77.9 KB, 349 views)
File Type: jpg Grant-Hill-1.jpg (46.8 KB, 346 views)

Last edited by mrmopar; 09-22-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:15 PM
Trevor Hocking

Great picks and pics! I love Flair and Fleer Ultra basketball! It’s funny you mentioned that set as I just got done collating that very set with a bunch of years of Ultra too. The Jordan Flair SP base card with him wearing 45 is very cool and a kinda sleeper Jordan card. Very cool stuff!

Back to baseball and I still can’t believe how cheap you can pick up these classic sets. I just got a mint 90 Leaf Griffey for $8. Pretty fun time to be collecting!

Last edited by snider4prez; 09-23-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:35 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Came back to add a few images, but I could list images all night and still not hit all the cool set.

Thought about it and probably my favorite 90s insert set is a basketball issue, the 1995-96 Flair Hot Numbers set. They can appear busy, but the lenticular style and the dept to those cards was amazing. Taking that a step further, and they were redemption only, but the Skybox Meltdown cards of Hill and Stackhouse were epic, where the wall melted behind the player as you tilted the card. it's not for everyone, but if you were buying cards new in the early to mid 90s, some of the greatest looking and unique cards were being introduced left and right. With all the technology and advances in cards, you'd think we'd still be getting great ideas and designed, but it seems to have died. They gave up or the monopolies just stunted the creativity because they didn't have to win us over, but the 90s lives on as the most creative era ever.
Metal universe was a cool set! Nice choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No refractors for me, Trev. Just don't care for the technology. If I had to add a fifth set:

1997 Topps Gallery Expressionists

Or not...
Old 09-24-2020, 12:33 PM
Dan Bretta

I was completely checked out of cards in the 90s...I haven't a clue what would be my favorite insert set. Are there any that have big time value today?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I was completely checked out of cards in the 90s...I haven't a clue what would be my favorite insert set. Are there any that have big time value today?
I'm the same way. I grew up in the 80s. By the time the 90s got going, I was in college and doing other things. That was about the only period of my life I haven't collected.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I'm the same way. I grew up in the 80s. By the time the 90s got going, I was in college and doing other things. That was about the only period of my life I haven't collected.
Same with me, I collected both vintage and new cards in the 80s but totally stopped when I graduated from college and got married. I got back into vintage around 2000 but just now started buying new cards again. I think I’m enjoying looking back at the junk era cards more than anything right now though.
Old 09-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
For the most part, no, which another reason why I enjoy collecting them. Some of the very condition sensitive issues in top slabs can get good money as can a few superstars (Jeter. Jordan, Kobe and some other RCs) and there are a few ultra-limited sets that are expensive (e.g. select gold with a stated print run of 30 cards or Flair Legacy) but most cards are available in great shape for the price of a fast food meal. I think the most I've ever paid for one is $70 for a Griffey card with a stated print run of 400 and I probably overpaid on a BIN because I was so frustrated at losing out on raw cards at several auctions in the sub $50 range. That said, many of them have gone up substantially in 2020. Since I finished my Gallery Peter Max run the set has more than tripled, for example, yet I found an Expressionists set for $20.

More eye candy:

1997 Topps Hallbound

1996 Leaf Knot Hole League

1998 Fleer Ultra Gold Medallion

1997 Fleer Ultra Gold Medallion

1999 Pacific Prizm (the scanner makes them strobe; backgrounds are purple foil)

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-24-2020 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2020, 03:23 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Same with me, I collected both vintage and new cards in the 80s but totally stopped when I graduated from college and got married. I got back into vintage around 2000 but just now started buying new cards again. I think I’m enjoying looking back at the junk era cards more than anything right now though.
That describes me, including interest in modern cards.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:02 AM
Josh Adams

Quote:
The serial numbered insert cards of HOFers, like Griffey, Thomas, Jeter, etc. are gaining value.
Basketball is through the roof, and football is catching up. There are some very rare 90s inserts that people are finally coming around to and realizing their scarcity.

such a fun time. I was in my teens, cracking packs at local shows on Sundays. good memories
Old 09-25-2020, 11:18 PM
Curt

There are some very expensive insert sets from the 90s.
The superstars lead the price charge, but sometimes it is unbelievable how much commons sell for. Pinnacle Mirror Gold, Essential Credentials and Donruss Crusade are a few that come to mind. A lot of the sets that had serial numbered (or no numbers but were very limited) less than 100, which seems average for today, are red hot too.

As was said, it seems basketball insert sets of certain types are insanely priced. With guys like Jordan, O'Neal, Bryant and the likes driving crazy prices.

Quote:
Old 09-26-2020, 02:39 AM
Trevor Hocking

It's so great to see so many people talking about 90's and newer baseball cards. I love all the great set I see.

Right now Griffey is really selling strong but only the Seattle cards, just so happens thats what I collect, go figure. Anything Luis Robert & Tatis are going crazy. You can't find cards a retail stores because everyone is buying them to flip on eBay for double or more or selling them in pack breaks.

The current card market is crazy right now and has been for a couple of years. Look at the 2020 Bowman cards and you people are playing big money for guys that are still in High school.

I joined the rookie card craze a got so Tatis, Lux, and Lewis cards early and have watched them sell for crazy numbers. It has been fun collecting the stars of today.

Hard to get packs or boxes at a good price so thats why I go and grab the inserts from my childhood. All that fun of putting together those sets at s value has been fun, but the market has caught up a little and as stated here things are getting a more pricy. So I am always looking for new ways to collect for fun and on cheap!

Keep collecting!
Trevor
Old 09-26-2020, 06:46 AM

Old 09-26-2020, 12:51 PM
Al Richter

Those are neat, what are they ?

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 09-27-2020 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:52 PM

1997/98 EX2001 Jambalaya.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Josh Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post

Yes!!

Are those yours? If so. Amazing man. Great set
Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 PM
je.sse @rnot

This one is definitely my favorite, although this is the only one I have so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg griffey93.jpg (63.8 KB, 255 views)
Old 09-28-2020, 10:09 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Has anyone noticed that the colors on the early Topps refractors are not stable? I've seen quite a few weird looking ones.

Or not...
Old 09-28-2020, 09:57 PM
Curt

I heard someone talking about chrome cards turning greenish. i have not noticed anything like that in my cards, but then again i have not seen any in a while.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:01 AM
Josh Adams

Quote:
I heard someone talking about chrome cards turning greenish. i have not noticed anything like that in my cards, but then again i have not seen any in a while.

Some people call it "hulking" as in the cards turn green like the Hulk. It is common on alot of basketball refractors.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:56 PM

Refractors were always my favorite, and they used to be fairly hard to get compared to these days. And of course, they are still around so their cool-factor has dropped a bit for me.

So now that I think about types of inserts that are still unique to the 90s and what my favorites would be, I can narrow it down to two types. And oddly enough, they are both Pacific inserts.

The first is the Cardsupials inserts, which is a regular sized card with a slot for where a small size card is kept. Here is a picture of one showing both cards, but this card is from 2000 and from online. Finding a picture with both the large and small card in it is pretty tough.

And the other would be the Christmas ornament cards. These were not just a card, but also have the string you can hang it up with. I do not have any of the baseball ones instead I have one for hockey. Here is a picture of one from online:
Old 09-30-2020, 10:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I have a Stockton and a Worthy that are Halloween ghouls.

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-30-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:00 PM

I have refractors and regular chrome from the 90s that have gone greenish or faded in some way. I think all the ones I have are from 1997 or 1998 Bowman's Best.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:50 PM
Eric Perry

I don’t have one handy at the moment; however; always loved the 1993 Select Chase Stars. Dufex still catches my eye and holds my gaze, after all these years.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 10-05-2020 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Dylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post

A question for the group...maybe Dylan will know....in 1991 in addition to the Instant Win cards mentioned above there were also Match The Stats insert cards. I have a bunch but unsure how many comprise a "set". Anyone know ?
Match the stats were issued in 1992 Topps, not 1991. I used to know the exact number but that info has been lost to time. Likely 44 or 55 or 66 since Topps liked those multiples of 11. There are, however, card stock variations for them.

Oddball, promos and variations:http://www.comc.com/Users/JunkWaxGems,sr

Last edited by jacksoncoupage; 10-05-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:16 AM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

A lot of my favs have been named and some have not. But I think a noteworthy addition to the list is 1992 Topps Gold. I was a one of the first true insert sets. The beginning of the gold card insert. With 792 cards in the set it is a true monster. We are not talking about the winner sets. Only the gold inserts that were not easy to pull. This marks the first time we seen gold and it’s been with us ever since.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:03 PM

There are some great cheap 90's inserts that look amazing, here are a few of my favorite griffey's, photos can't do these cards justice...

Last edited by classicjay17; 10-10-2020 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:56 PM
Trevor Hocking

Topps Gold gets a top 10 just for being the beginner for sure!!! I the early Score sets had the Joe D and Mantle chases that NO GOT! But I remember Topps Gold!

Love all the 90's shine and no so shiny. Tons of fond memories.

Man those Griffey's are killer! The Leaf Gold is a stunner and I have never seen that Metal card and now I want one LOL

Oh and the 1993 Finest Griffey Refractor is just OK

Great cards! Love the 90's

Last edited by snider4prez; 10-10-2020 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:24 PM

The 90s just might be the greatest decade in baseball card history for outrageous designs! Here are a handful I've posted online over the last few/several months .... be warned, some are just parallels, but all are super pretty ...

1998 SPX Tradwinds Spectrum #/50

TONS TONS TONS of others ... I *LOVE* the 90s!

Last edited by mouschi; 10-14-2020 at 12:26 PM.