NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2020, 09:38 AM
David Peck

Default 1953 Topps PSA 10 Mickey Mantle IPO on Collectible App a Game Changer

Earlier this week I learned of an app that can be found in the app store simply called Collectable. It offers the ability to purchase shares in sports memorabilia in small amounts and they become tradable. I didn't even give it consideration until I spoke with a client who has done this with art and these are registered with the SEC. I purchased $10,000 or 400 shares and after doing so spoke with him so I have an email into my manager to make sure I can finalize the purchase as I am a registered broker. I sure hope I can. This information is important because this is the layer of protection people need to make this work.

This is a game changer for the high end of the trading card market. You have many issues at play.

First most simply can't afford cards in the six figure plus price range. I read daily about people going to their safety deposit box periodically to visit their cards. While I like to see mine many don't see theirs very frequently so in this case it is non event. There is also the element of stocks and bonds where they are really just pieces of paper and so one can think of the card as just the same.

Next you have the impact of people buying high end items to break up in value. We have seen a huge surge in pack breaks and this is driving unopened up as smaller pieces are sold off at a premium. The same will hold true here.

The secondary market for shares will on many items see a surge in interest driving the cards value even higher than what it might trade at on its own. There are a lot of smaller investors that in mass can drive something to a premium vs. just a whale buying on their own.

Next you have the issue of simply investment. It is taboo with some but cards have performed extremely well and marquee items in particular. This is going to make investing in cards so much easier as the barriers to entry ala money to get the good stuff are lowered immensely. I see many people loving the idea of having an investment portfolio made up of top tier items and seeing if they can keep pace with other tradable assets.

The liquidity of being able to buy and sell without finding a natural buyer for the card is brilliant. No shipping. No worrying about if the buyer is legit. Will they return it etc.

I am very hopeful I can follow through with this purchase and others in the future. When I put in my order it was already 40% sold out in minutes so clearly others like this idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65FA2BAF-16E7-4907-B6D4-D7DEEAB1EAB8.jpg (7.2 KB, 1083 views)

Last edited by Dpeck100; 09-10-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 AM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Hmmm
Old 09-10-2020, 09:53 AM

Interesting read. But wasn't something like this tried several years back and from what I remember - failed?

Also, what happens when the asset is determined to be "altered" and the grade invalidated. Does Collectable insure the asset and compensate investors if they failed in their due dilligence? Or do the shares of the asset simply go "boom?" And just as an fyi, besides your investment in this item, do you or any of your associates/family have an additional interest in this company?

Always better to ask questions up front.

Thanks.

Last edited by ocjack; 09-10-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Additional questions
Old 09-10-2020, 10:16 AM
David Peck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocjack View Post
Interesting read. But wasn't something like this tried several years back and from what I remember - failed?

Also, what happens when the asset is determined to be "altered" and the grade invalidated. Does Collectable insure the asset and compensate investors if they failed in their due dilligence? Or do the shares of the asset simply go "boom?" And just as an fyi, besides your investment in this item, do you or any of your associates/family have an additional interest in this company?

Always better to ask questions up front.

Thanks.

I just heard about it this week. No affiliation with anyone.

I have no comment on the part about the card being altered.

You are going to see a lot of this coming I believe.
Old 09-10-2020, 10:57 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Isn't this fractional thing already being done by multiple apps? I recall an Altered or PSA 1 T206 Wagner has already been divided. Once the IPO sells out, does this sale of a card for $2.5 Million get added to the PSA Auction Prices Realized website? It should, right?

Currently it's a Pop 2, but there are also 10 PSA 9s and 4 PSA 8.5s. If the Pop goes to 4, does it even register with the fractional owners? You guys have at it. It's not for me, but then, I've probably said that before.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:08 AM
Jimmy Knowle$

Sounds similar to purchasing stocks on CashApp.
I do this time to time and have made a little change.
Little the key word.

I guess this work on a high value card, like discussed.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:54 AM
Justin

They are selling $2.5 million worth of shares for the 53 Topps PSA 10.

Seems crazy to me, but I'm no investing expert.

Also not a good sign when this is what happens when I try to go to their website.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2020, 02:26 PM
Chris Rudd

You're not collecting anything. How about calling it "Ponzi investibles" instead?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2020, 10:34 PM

Im sure some people will be into this, but not for me. First and foremost, Im a collector, not an investor, but one of the aspects I like about sports cards, comics, gold/silver etc is I like that its a tangible asset...I dont buy gold/silver shares from Rosiland Capital, and owning shares of a card, any card, has zero appeal to me...but to each their own.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brafcauknid View Post
Im sure some people will be into this, but not for me. First and foremost, Im a collector, not an investor, but one of the aspects I like about sports cards, comics, gold/silver etc is I like that its a tangible asset...I dont buy gold/silver shares from Rosiland Capital, and owning shares of a card, any card, has zero appeal to me...but to each their own.
+1
I don't share my food (will always buy what my SO or other wants) and I don't share my sportscards.
And a card because threads need cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t206cobboldmill2b.jpg (79.2 KB, 411 views)
Old 09-15-2020, 08:23 AM

This hobby is about STUFF and I can't imagine being active in the hobby and not having STUFF. You'll never touch something you own the corner of and you won't really have a collection at all.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:44 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2020, 01:40 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh? MILLIONS of entries and Sean won? Wait, isn't he an employee at this company or knows these guys? I'm confused.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:43 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
Huh? MILLIONS of entries and Sean won? Wait, isn't he an employee at this company or knows these guys? I'm confused.
I don't get it. Is this for real?
Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Only the SEC knows for sure.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:35 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Default 1953 Topps PSA 10 Mickey Mantle IPO on Collectible App a Game Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post

Yeah it’s real , Collectable posted it on their Instagram, definitely some good luck that he won. Sounds like he may have some cards he tried to list based on his comments, but he’s connected to Evan who I understand is involved with Collectable. And he certainly has been talking very positive about them , and has said “he’s in” , so maybe he owns shares of the 53T ... who knows , but he certainly seems to have some vested interest.

Last edited by BLongley; 09-17-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

This might very well be successful. Having said that I can remember what killed the fun of the hobby for me in the early 1990’s was the greed and the amount of greed I see now is pushing me away again.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Justin

This explains the "millions" of entries and why someone who is so visibly promoting the app would be the winner, apparently that's how you get more entries. Smart contest from marketing perspective.

Looks like their 2nd offering today was a LeBron James rookie for 50K with max 5% investment and it sold out in 5hrs.

Still not for me, but wish any investors the best of luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk