NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Default T206 Wagner in Canada

I'm a member of a few Facebook card groups. Majority of posts made in these groups are just crap and a waste of my time, but sometimes I'll see an interesting post here and there. One of the things I love doing is talking to old-timers about how the hobby was like before I was born. I love hearing things like "in 1976, I was driving down there ... he punched him in the face ... I pulled it out of the pack ... I got twenty-five dollars for it ... my wife threw it in the fireplace ... blah, blah, blah". I guess this is because I'm a history-freak (and why I love vintage cards so much!) Anyways, so one interesting character started posting about how he was at Angelo Savelli's house in the early 1980s, and how he almost got his T206 Honus Wagner in a trade. However, Angelo later changed his mind and backed out. And then a couple of guys were like "yeah, he still has it ... very old man he is ... blah, blah, blah." I was like "huh? A Canadian owns a T206 Wagner? I had no clue! And who the heck is Angelo Savelli?" This post just reminded me that there are so many things about our hobby that I am not aware of (even in my own country!) At the same time, I was also very proud that a Canadian owns this card!

Does anyone here know the story behind Angelo's Wagner? When did he get it and from whom? How does it look like? Isn't a PR example worth like two million USD now? And are there any other Canadians who own this card?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I'm a member of a few Facebook card groups. Majority of posts made in these groups are just crap and a waste of my time, but sometimes I'll see an interesting post here and there. One of the things I love doing is talking to old-timers about how the hobby was like before I was born. I love hearing things like "in 1976, I was driving down there ... he punched him in the face ... I pulled it out of the pack ... I got twenty-five dollars for it ... my wife threw it in the fireplace ... blah, blah, blah". I guess this is because I'm a history-freak (and why I love vintage cards so much!) Anyways, so one interesting character started posting about how he was at Angelo Savelli's house in the early 1980s, and how he almost got his T206 Honus Wagner in a trade. However, Angelo later changed his mind and backed out. And then a couple of guys were like "yeah, he still has it ... very old man he is ... blah, blah, blah." I was like "huh? A Canadian owns a T206 Wagner? I had no clue! And who the heck is Angelo Savelli?" This post just reminded me that there are so many things about our hobby that I am not aware of (even in my own country!) At the same time, I was also very proud that a Canadian owns this card!

Does anyone here know the story behind Angelo's Wagner? When did he get it and from whom? How does it look like? Isn't a PR example worth like two million USD now? And are there any other Canadians who own this card?
I am not sure of the answer to your main question but a PR Wags today, depending on aesthetics, would be in the 1.3M range......Pocket change for some, unfortunately not me.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:43 AM
James M.

Quote:

Very interesting story, I'd suspect that there's cases similar to this across America/Canada. Collections, with high value cards, not graded, that are held by people in there 70s, 80s, 90s, etc. While I can't speak for the Wagner, I have a working theory that in 10-20 years we'll see a lot of 52 Mantle's start hitting the market. All freshly graded, because of people passing away or getting too old and having no family to hand it down to.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:52 AM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

An extremely quick search came up with this info in the Orlando Sentinel from Feb 1988.

"WHAT A CARD. Angelo Savelli is a classic addict. To get his fix, the 50- year-old retired Canadian steel worker will pay almost any price, trade almost anything he owns. The genial man is not hooked on drugs. His unquenchable passion is bubble gum cards. For more than 40 years, Savelli has collected baseball cards; football cards, too. And hockey, boxing, wrestling, basketball and even lacrosse cards. He also holds precious old cards from the 1800s and some almost unfindable cards such as the 1909 Honus Wagner, worth as much as $50,000. Savelli's collection fills three rooms."

Link - Note: very ad heavy
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 11-25-2020, 12:09 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Three auction houses have probably already started looking for him.
Old 11-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Fred

hahahaha... probably very true...
Old 11-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Three auction houses have probably already started looking for him.

I know him very well and it’s long gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2020, 01:00 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
An extremely quick search came up with this info in the Orlando Sentinel from Feb 1988.

"WHAT A CARD. Angelo Savelli is a classic addict. To get his fix, the 50- year-old retired Canadian steel worker will pay almost any price, trade almost anything he owns. The genial man is not hooked on drugs. His unquenchable passion is bubble gum cards. For more than 40 years, Savelli has collected baseball cards; football cards, too. And hockey, boxing, wrestling, basketball and even lacrosse cards. He also holds precious old cards from the 1800s and some almost unfindable cards such as the 1909 Honus Wagner, worth as much as $50,000. Savelli's collection fills three rooms."

Link - Note: very ad heavy
Another quick Google search got me these, Angelo Savelli, "The King of Cards"
Looks like he had/does have some nice stuff!
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab
Old 11-25-2020, 01:21 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

I believe there was also a Canadian athlete of some sort who used to own one of them. I wanna say curling. Or maybe ice hockey. I don't really follow Canadian sports.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:05 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
I believe there was also a Canadian athlete of some sort who used to own one of them. I wanna say curling. Or maybe ice hockey. I don't really follow Canadian sports.
Cute.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 11-26-2020, 07:03 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
That is funny... especially considering if there was no Canada, there would likely be no hockey, basketball OR football for our American friends... at least in their current context... ONLY baseball.

You're welcome
Old 11-26-2020, 07:20 AM
Brian Macdonald

Hap Shaughnessy probably had one at some point
Old 11-26-2020, 10:09 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Oh, wait! Does he have that popular blue card from 1979/80? Is it the one that you Americans drove up to astronomical levels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
I know him very well and it’s long gone.

Could you share a bit more info? What condition was it in? Was it sold raw? Is it graded now?
Old 11-26-2020, 10:31 AM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Another quick Google search got me these, Angelo Savelli, "The King of Cards"
Looks like he had/does have some nice stuff!
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...sclient=psy-ab
Ad heavy is an understatement.

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-26-2020, 10:45 AM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Oh, wait! Does he have that popular blue card from 1979/80? Is it the one that you Americans drove up to astronomical levels?

Could you share a bit more info? What condition was it in? Was it sold raw? Is it graded now?

It was sold years ago to an “American”Probably, when he sold off his baseball. I’m sure it was raw. Knowing Angelo it was probably in nice shape, he was focusing on high grade before it was fashionable.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:53 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamendo View Post
It was sold years ago to an “American”Probably, when he sold off his baseball. I’m sure it was raw. Knowing Angelo it was probably in nice shape, he was focusing on high grade before it was fashionable.

Nice shape, eh? Wow! He must have gotten a ton for it! On top of that, convert the US to CAD ... wooo!!
Old 11-26-2020, 10:56 AM
Scott M.

Quote:
This is a great post. A Great One!
Old 11-26-2020, 11:04 AM
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlflyer1 View Post
This is a great post. A Great One!
It took me until this post to get we were talking about Gretzky haha
Old 11-26-2020, 12:10 PM

Default WHat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natswin2019 View Post
It took me until this post to get we were talking about Gretzky haha

...Who are the Gretzkys and which city do they play in ?...I don't follow Canadian stuff either.....

Old 11-26-2020, 12:29 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
...Who are the Gretzkys and which city do they play in ?...I don't follow Canadian stuff either.....

Is it you don't follow Canadian stuff by choice?
... or you aren't intelligent enough to do so?
Old 11-01-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Angelo Savelli

Sorry for reviving this old thread. Was just looking for information on Angelo. He once lived in the north end of Hamilton, Ontario and had a card shop briefly in the early 90s near his house. When I was 12 years old, I bought my first caramel and tobacco cards from him. An E95 Plank and a T206 Rube Waddell. Super nice fella. Fond memories indeed. Does anyone else in the Toronto area remember his shop? I think it was on Barton St. Can't believe he had a Wagner!

Last edited by paulmolive; 11-01-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
That is funny... especially considering if there was no Canada, there would likely be no hockey, basketball OR football for our American friends... at least in their current context... ONLY baseball.

You're welcome
Ok, Hockey I get, but Basketball and Football?
Old 11-01-2021, 02:33 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post

Well, James Naismith was Canadian.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 11-01-2021, 03:54 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Please let’s not turn this into a Canada vs America thread. As a Canadian Collector I love my American collector friends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2021, 02:14 AM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post
Sorry for reviving this old thread. Was just looking for information on Angelo. He once lived in the north end of Hamilton, Ontario and had a card shop briefly in the early 90s near his house. When I was 12 years old, I bought my first caramel and tobacco cards from him. An E95 Plank and a T206 Rube Waddell. Super nice fella. Fond memories indeed. Does anyone else in the Toronto area remember his shop? I think it was on Barton St. Can't believe he had a Wagner!
I never went to his shop, living in Western Canada, but I do recall reading many stories about him in the collector mags that came out in the late 80's / early 90's. He was a legend in the card game here. I recall he basically spent what he had on vintage cards. He told lots of stories on how his wife was patient, but frustrated with him. That is until he started moving some of his stuff.

A name from the past...
Old 11-02-2021, 02:59 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

Steve
Yes, but he had to come to the United States to 'invent' the game as the Canadians could only understand a netted stick with a ball (the official national game) or a stick with a puck. Bouncing a ball was foreign to them.

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 11-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Yes, but he had to come to the United States to 'invent' the game as the Canadians could only understand a netted stick with a ball (the official national game) or a stick with a puck. Bouncing a ball was foreign to them.

Not really knocking Canada, both sides of my family landed there 350-380 years ago and I believe I am probably distantly related to Rob Blake. His middle name, being his mother's maiden name, is my last name.
If Canadians "could only understand a netted stick with a ball or a stick with a puck", how did a Canadian singlehandedly invent the game of basketball?? Being on American soil suddenly altered his ability and inventiveness?

The whole "Canadians could only understand" also disagrees with the fact that baseball was played in eastern Canada before most of the western US, with teams in Ontario (London) beating American clubs in the International Association in the 1870s including Pittsburgh. Additionally, cricket in Canada - like in the US - was also the most popular game during the formative years of the nation before the advent of the modern big four sports.

You're not "knocking" Canada, but you're completely ignorant about it.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:09 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
It's simple... no Canadian James Naismith, no basketball.

Regarding football, the early game played by US colleges resembled European association football (soccer) which included it's rules, with only Harvard adopting the ability to carry the ball instead of just kicking it, something only seen in rugby during the era.

Harvard famously played a two-game series against Montreal's McGill in 1874, with this the very first games of what would become modern football (the first game was played under the Harvard "Boston rules", the second one was played under McGill rules, and is the first rugby-style football game played in the United States). The Canadians also used a more oblong-shaped ball akin to a modern football, while Harvard still used basically a round "soccer" ball.

Additional important aspects were taken from the Canadian game....

"Harvard quickly took a liking to the rugby game, and its use of the try which, until that time, was not used in American football. The try would later evolve into the score known as the touchdown"

So again, without Canada, there would likely be no Hockey, basketball OR "American" football as we know them.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:12 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrone View Post
Hap Shaughnessy probably had one at some point
2 - I saw them both.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:25 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

We all know Hockey was invented in England not Canada right?
Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
We all know Hockey was invented in England not Canada right?
Field hockey, yes.
Ice hockey, no.

Of the big four North American sports, only basketball was "invented", the rest evolved from other sports...

Last edited by Huysmans; 11-02-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 10:29 AM
Carl Lamendola

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmolive View Post

What do want to know and I’ll ask him?

Old 11-02-2021, 10:36 AM
Dave

LOL, a throwaway joke turns into a slowburn pissing contest on Net54, a full year in the making.

Only in Americanada!

Last edited by D. Bergin; 11-02-2021 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:34 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Field hockey, yes.
Ice hockey, no.

Of the big four North American sports, only basketball was "invented", the rest evolved from other sports...
Actually I thought that Cornhole was ahead of Hockey as a Big Four Sport.
At least in the Ratings and Arena Attendance

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
Actually I thought that Cornhole was ahead of Hockey as a Big Four Sport.
At least in the Ratings and Arena Attendance
You're confusing the sport with "cornholing", which is definitely more popular in the US
Old 11-03-2021, 11:00 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

Steve
I didn't know that. Good to learn something new.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:50 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Please let’s not turn this into a Canada vs America thread. As a Canadian Collector I love my American collector friends

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We love you too, especially your OPC baseball issues.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-03-2021, 07:02 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Ohhhh Caaannnaadddaaaa ...

Old 11-03-2021, 09:42 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post

My maternal grandmother was born in Chicago. Her grandfather was born in the middle of nowhere Ontario(?). I couldn't believe I found him on a Canadian census.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-03-2021, 10:20 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Is that....

Quote:
Ohhhh Caaannnaadddaaaa ...

Is that the elusive "Barbie Red Back?

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 11-03-2021 at 10:21 PM.