NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-12-2021, 06:48 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Default Big Ticket Card: eBay Seller Advice

The good news is that this Wednesday, 2/10/21, I sold my W516-2-2 Ruth (Pitching Version) card on eBay. The buyer hit the Buy-It-Now option and paid me $2595 for the card. Through eBay's managed payments, the net proceeds are now in my back account.

The bad news is that the buyer has an eBay rating of exactly 1, and has only been a member of the eBay community since last summer. I know we all have to start somewhere, but buying my vintage Ruth strip card seems a bit too ambitious on his part, I think. Moreover, being suspicious of his intentions, I messaged him to call me so I can vet him in a casual phone conversation. So the guy replied on Thursday that he would, but he didn't call. Now Friday is winding down, and again he hasn't called.

This only adds to my suspicion, but as I'm thinking it over, what can eBay really do to me at this point, now that the money is safely in my account? If I ship the card and the buyer files a bogus complaint like, "I received an empty box," they can then place a hold on my future earnings, I suppose, but I don't think they can draw money out of my bank account via PayPal because the money never passed through my PayPal account during the banking transaction in the first place. Or can they? Maybe I'm missing something? At this point, I'm leaning toward shipping the card via USPS registered mail over the weekend, but something told me to seek some advice here first.

Does anyone have any recent experience relevant to my situation that they could share here? Thanks.

Last edited by robw1959; 02-12-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:55 PM

I just watched a video on this the other day. I think the biggest takeaways is cover all your bases, take pictures of everything and send it with a signature required confirmation. I hope the seller is in the U.S!

https://youtu.be/6hlDkbzObNQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2021, 07:11 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
I just watched a video on this the other day. I think the biggest takeaways is cover all your bases, take pictures of everything and send it with a signature required confirmation. I hope the seller is in the U.S!

https://youtu.be/6hlDkbzObNQ

Thanks for the video. It really isn't relevant to my situation, since it speaks to the buyer getting scammed, not the seller, and isn't recent enough to cover the eBay managed payments situations that may arise these days. Can you imagine a seller shipping an item to themselves and thinking they are going to fool eBay that way? Just a silly scam.

By the way, the buyer does live in the U.S., but I don't think pictures would be helpful since they don't necessarily portray the truth. For example, I could package my card, buy a tracking label, affix the label to the package, push it halfway through the Postal drop-box, and take pictures of every step of the process. But if I pull the package out and keep the contents, what do the pictures really prove? For that matter, even a signature for the delivery doesn't prove receipt of the item purchased; it only proves that the box got there.

Last edited by robw1959; 02-12-2021 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:13 PM
pete ullman

I would exercise caution. I have a friend who sold a tag heuer watch on ebay...sent it off. Buyer claimed it was fake which triggered ebay/paypal to get my friend to refund money. Then buyer claimed he never received it and my friend got screwed out of the $$$ and the watch.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:17 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
I would exercise caution. I have a friend who sold a tag heuer watch on ebay...sent it off. Buyer claimed it was fake which triggered ebay/paypal to get my friend to refund money. Then buyer claimed he never received it and my friend got screwed out of the $$$ and the watch.
How could he file a claim it was fake and a claim that he never received it? I know eBay is buyer friendly, but that seems ridiculous.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:23 PM
pete ullman

ya sounds bizarro...this is the story my friend relayed...I DO know he lost both the money and the watch.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:29 PM
L.arry Glads.tone

Default RE: shipping expensive items

send it express mail, pack it in FRONT of a postal worker at the post office, show them the card and record it on your phone, insure the package for the full amount, if he makes a claim as empty, you are insured and the contents was witnessed by a government employee...
Old 02-12-2021, 09:37 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by painthistorian View Post
send it express mail, pack it in FRONT of a postal worker at the post office, show them the card and record it on your phone, insure the package for the full amount, if he makes a claim as empty, you are insured and the contents was witnessed by a government employee...
If this doesn't work I don't know what will.

I don't sell much but when I do it's to people I know and trust, people here that someone I know vouches for, or I consign it. I just don't want to risk completely losing a higher end card to an ebay scammer.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:50 PM
Howard Chasser

Default If he didn't call you as scheduled......

I would cancel the transaction. The fact that you are here asking the question means your internal "alert" went off and you want to cancel the transaction but are here to hopefully get some reasurance that the transaction will be okay.

Well, you will not get it from me. Yes, everyone needs to start someplace - but 1 feedback sellers don't need to start with my expensive cards knowing all the shenanigans that are possible and how useless Ebay is for sellers in these scenarios.
I haven't, but presume somewhere in the fine print of the managed payments agreement we all signed is some language that gives Ebay the right to reach into the account provided to them for deposits when they deem it necessary.
Is the risk worth the possible headache and loss of your card or your Ebay seller account?
The market is hot. Ruth is hot - someone else will come along and buy it.
This was just the expression of my opinion.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:52 PM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcv123 View Post
I would cancel the transaction. The fact that you are here asking the question means your internal "alert" went off and you want to cancel the transaction but are here to hopefully get some reasurance that the transaction will be okay.

Well, you will not get it from me. Yes, everyone needs to start someplace - but 1 feedback sellers don't need to start with my expensive cards knowing all the shenanigans that are possible and how useless Ebay is for sellers in these scenarios.
I haven't, but presume somewhere in the fine print of the managed payments agreement we all signed is some language that gives Ebay the right to reach into the account provided to them for deposits when they deem it necessary.
Is the risk worth the possible headache and loss of your card or your Ebay seller account?
The market is hot. Ruth is hot - someone else will come along and buy it.
This was just the expression of my opinion.
+1
Old 02-12-2021, 09:54 PM
Rocky Rockwell

Default Ruth

I think I would cancel the sale for whatever reason you choose. Is there a way you can screen out buyers with such low histories? I dont think its worth finding out the hard way that this is a high risk scam. Just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceDocter View Post
I think I would cancel the sale for whatever reason you choose. Is there a way you can screen out buyers with such low histories? I dont think its worth finding out the hard way that this is a high risk scam. Just my opinion.

Yea you can put in the description “sellers with less than ____ feedback must first message me or your bid will be canceled.” I’ve definitely seen it

Old 02-12-2021, 10:20 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

The majority of the advice I'm getting here is steering me away from the direction I was leaning toward. In the overall scheme of things, I don't really need to sell it at this time anyway. I'm thinking that if I don't hear from the buyer by noon time tomorrow, I will cancel the sale and refund him. Thanks so much for such wise input.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:22 PM
Tom Re.bert

Default Private Insurance carrier

If you don't have a private insurance carrier to cover in transit loss get one ASAP, a heads up from a bad experience the USPS insurance coverage isn't always reliable. I filed a legitimate insurance loss claim with the USPS for just 650.00 and was denied both appeals. After five months and two denials I filed a claim with my private insurance provider and was reimbursed in a couple weeks!

My insured card was "supposedly" stolen in transit through the USPS system. Now with the buyers low feedback and the buyer not communicating would bother anyone. You can roll the dice or cancel the transaction. But by any means if you don't have a private insurance policy please research and buy a private insurance coverage before shipment.

Last edited by Directly; 02-12-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:56 PM
Doug Goodman

If you are this worried about selling an item on ebay then you shouldn't have been selling it there to begin with.

Doug
Old 02-13-2021, 12:30 AM

I would cancel the transaction and consign it to an auction house or one of the big eBay sellers. Because, sometimes you just gotta say WTF.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:43 AM

Default Big Ticket Card: eBay Seller Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by robw1959 View Post
Thanks for the video. It really isn't relevant to my situation, since it speaks to the buyer getting scammed, not the seller, and isn't recent enough to cover the eBay managed payments situations that may arise these days. Can you imagine a seller shipping an item to themselves and thinking they are going to fool eBay that way? Just a silly scam.

By the way, the buyer does live in the U.S., but I don't think pictures would be helpful since they don't necessarily portray the truth. For example, I could package my card, buy a tracking label, affix the label to the package, push it halfway through the Postal drop-box, and take pictures of every step of the process. But if I pull the package out and keep the contents, what do the pictures really prove? For that matter, even a signature for the delivery doesn't prove receipt of the item purchased; it only proves that the box got there.

Sorry Rob I meant this one! My bad, go to 3:55

https://youtu.be/hEeHDCWV_Ps

Last edited by J-Yo; 02-13-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:37 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

If the buyer pays you are obligated to ship. If you're ok with the possible negative feedback and the strike on your account, then cancel if you're that uncomfortable.

Last edited by Jim65; 02-13-2021 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:39 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Yo View Post
Yea you can put in the description “sellers with less than ____ feedback must first message me or your bid will be canceled.” I’ve definitely seen it

Doesn't stop buyers from bidding in the last minute.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:43 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Directly View Post
If you don't have a private insurance carrier to cover in transit loss get one ASAP, a heads up from a bad experience the USPS insurance coverage isn't always reliable. I filed a legitimate insurance loss claim with the USPS for just 650.00 and was denied both appeals. After five months and two denials I filed a claim with my private insurance provider and was reimbursed in a couple weeks!

My insured card was "supposedly" stolen in transit through the USPS system. Now with the buyers low feedback and the buyer not communicating would bother anyone. You can roll the dice or cancel the transaction. But by any means if you don't have a private insurance policy please research and buy a private insurance coverage before shipment.
This is the way to go. I have insurance for this specific reason, too many a-holes out there. my insurance does require a signature but it's worth it. As for taking pictures it's for your evidence that when they return the card you can inspect it and point out any evidence that the card was switched or damaged. And the comment about putting "buyers with less than X feedback" is a good one to use as well.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

This sounds good. How do you go about getting such a policy? Do you have to take out insurance for each transaction, or is it an ongoing policy? I'm interested in any carrier names, links, etc. Thank you.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Anson

Just consign it with an auction house. I know this doesn't make as much sense for lower-dollar stuff. But it takes away the stress of getting scammed and Ebay's lousy protection against buyers pulling fast ones.

Scams are at an all-time high and these low lifes are finding more ways to game the system.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:22 AM
Mel Quatt.lebaum

Google the buyer or check for Facebook account, a lot of information online that can help in identifying folks.
Old 02-13-2021, 10:44 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Insurance information

See this thread for some info on insurance companies:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...ight=insurance
Old 02-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
If the buyer pays you are obligated to ship. If you're ok with the possible negative feedback and the strike on your account, then cancel if you're that uncomfortable.
I think a $2000+ item is worth the neg and the strike. If it happens, it happens.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:23 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I would cancel as well. Its not like its a tough card to sell. Only deal with reputable buyers at that level
Old 02-13-2021, 03:06 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I would cancel as well. Its not like its a tough card to sell. Only deal with reputable buyers at that level
Cancelled. It's a done deal. I will either offer it here or consign it.
Old 02-16-2021, 04:16 PM
Lenny and Carol LaCroix

Default ebay scam experience

I sent an 18K gold ring to a guy in Dorchester MA. He had a few postitve comments. His name BTW is Tam Tran. Shortly after he received the $500 ring, he asked to return because it was too small.
Soon after I pulled from my PO box a plain envelope with a return address from Quincy MA. From Tony Lee
Inside was a broken rubber vacuum belt, nothing else, with a tracking number attached. No signature required.

Soon after that, ebay refunded his money because he uploaded the tracking number. He did, in fact, get a refund.

When I questioned ebay they gave me my money back because I had required a signature and he had not used my offered seller paid return policy.

They told me the refund to the customer came out of ebay's pocket. ???
I still have the envelope and vaccum belt. US mail fraud comes to mind. But this guy got away with it. They refunded his money before even talking to me, as soon as he put in the tracking number.
Today I sent out a card valued at $145 to a buyer with zero comments. You bet I put a signature required, insured shipping on it. With the recent rise in
card values and publicity attached, I'd be VERY leery to send such a valuable card.
Best, Lenny
Old 02-19-2021, 06:36 AM
Lonnie Nagel

in Ebay > Account > Site Preferences > Buyer Requirements

You can block buyers for a wide variety of reasons (including Low Feedback)

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 02-20-2021 at 03:05 AM.