NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-22-2021, 06:54 PM

Default Vintage Pennant Or Repro?

Hello Folks,

Novice collector here who has just enough knowledge in a variety of subjects to get myself in hot water. Was wondering if this Brooklyn Dodgers pennant was the real deal or a newer reproduction? To me it is a bit too pristine looking and unsoiled. Please advise.

Thanks,
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodgers pennant 001.jpg (59.7 KB, 318 views)
File Type: jpg dodgers pennant 002.jpg (48.8 KB, 316 views)
Old 03-22-2021, 07:27 PM
Rob

I think it’s legit.

Guys in the pennant thread can confirm.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:00 PM
Rob

It looks like an original to me. Spine and stitching looks of the era. Wouldn't the tell tale sign be if this is soft felt? I don't think there are any original "stiff" Brooklyn Dodger pennants.

Definitely not a Mitchell & Ness.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
It looks like an original to me. Spine and stitching looks of the era. Wouldn't the tell tale sign be if this is soft felt? I don't think there are any original "stiff" Brooklyn Dodger pennants.

Definitely not a Mitchell & Ness.
It is very soft. Got it with New York Giants & Boston Braves pennants at an estate auction.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 AM
Rob

Sounds like you've got a winner! And a nice lot too.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:55 PM
Marc

Well, now you need to show us the Giants and Braves
Old 03-23-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Well, now you need to show us the Giants and Braves
Hopefully I have gotten them to attach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Baseball - Boston Braves Vintage Pennant.jpg (61.5 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg Baseball - New York Giants Vintage Pennant.jpg (62.8 KB, 228 views)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:14 PM
Rob

The Giants pennant is not overly rare but the blue is prone to fading and yours is bluer than most.

I’m wondering if the Braves had a print mis-alignment or if someone trimmed it...
Old 03-23-2021, 10:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
The Giants pennant is not overly rare but the blue is prone to fading and yours is bluer than most.

I’m wondering if the Braves had a print mis-alignment or if someone trimmed it...
There's a very easy way to tell. Look closely at the top edge of the top border. If white paint resides on the top edge, it is "as made" and unaltered. If the white paint is only on the front of the pennant (and does not bend around to the top edge), then it is likely trimmed.

I've seen it a thousand times and it's quite obvious when the pennant is in-hand.

Good stuff BTW... especially the classic and underrated Bums pennant. One of the truly great and artistic golden-age pennants, with the cigar smoke forming the script "Brooklyn".

Last edited by perezfan; 03-23-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:28 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Nice pennants, all legit. As Mark said the screen usually extends to the side of the pennant when original. This series in particular was oftentimes miscut or misaligned. All look in original condition to me. Nice pick up
Old 03-24-2021, 05:43 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Cool pennants, now we just need to identify the maker.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:22 PM
Gary

Nice Pennants. I've snagged a the same Boston Braves pennant yesterday. The spine looks a bit funky. I'll have to wait for it to be delivered to make an assessment. I'm hoping it just needs to be ironed out. I cost me very little, so I was happy to take a chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img3.jpg (61.6 KB, 136 views)
Old 03-29-2021, 02:34 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think it'll be ok. Just iron it from the reverse side and don't keep the iron in one place for too long. Keep it moving... looks like the tip end could use some minor "flattening" as well. I bet it turns out to be fine.

Nice pickup!
Old 03-29-2021, 04:23 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
Nice Pennants. I've snagged a the same Boston Braves pennant yesterday. The spine looks a bit funky. I'll have to wait for it to be delivered to make an assessment. I'm hoping it just needs to be ironed out. I cost me very little, so I was happy to take a chance.
Yeah...That just looks like it needs a good ironing. Interesting that your Brave is wearing a different headdress. I suspect yours might be a little older.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Yes to both what Mark and Rob said. There are plenty of good deals to be had if you don’t fall in to the “I’m going to compete with everyone else” theory. These are all a perfect example of 75 year old tough items in really nice shape. I believe the latest example is older as well and has a different font for lettering. I’ve always really liked almost all vintage Braves pennants. In my area, Milwaukee had a huge following before the Twins. My grandfather used to take the kids on baseball trips down to Milwaukee from Duluth back in the 50’s. Also, hard to find a nicer uniform than the 50’s Braves.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Yes to both what Mark and Rob said. There are plenty of good deals to be had if you don’t fall in to the “I’m going to compete with everyone else” theory. These are all a perfect example of 75 year old tough items in really nice shape. I believe the latest example is older as well and has a different font for lettering. I’ve always really liked almost all vintage Braves pennants. In my area, Milwaukee had a huge following before the Twins. My grandfather used to take the kids on baseball trips down to Milwaukee from Duluth back in the 50’s. Also, hard to find a nicer uniform than the 50’s Braves.
It is nice but has the dreaded blue fade. 32 oz. of blue dye would fix it right up!
Old 03-30-2021, 02:01 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
It is nice but has the dreaded blue fade. 32 oz. of blue dye would fix it right up!
I wouldn't dye it. Blue is still the predominant color, and you definitely want to keep it original. If anything, the slight fading gives it a nice aged/antique look.

When these pennants have faded completely to grey, I can see the case for dying. But that one is still a vintage beauty.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:05 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Regarding that last sentence... I agree completely.

Aesthetically, the top 3 Unis of the 1950s are Braves, Cardinals and Reds (just my opinion, in no particular order). Tough to beat the Braves Tomahawk, Birds perched on a Bat, and a beaming Mr. Redlegs!
Old 03-31-2021, 04:44 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
I wouldn't dye it. Blue is still the predominant color, and you definitely want to keep it original. If anything, the slight fading gives it a nice aged/antique look.

When these pennants have faded completely to grey, I can see the case for dying. But that one is still a vintage beauty.
My plan is to leave the Braves pennant as is (other than ironing the spine). I'm actively looking for hidden gems where it needs a bit of a clean or ironing. For me, it's a way to find so e bargains.

I have a NY Giants Pennant that's faded to a gray-blue. I'm tempted to try a dye on that one. Any pointers as to which dye is best?
Old 03-31-2021, 06:33 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
My plan is to leave the Braves pennant as is (other than ironing the spine). I'm actively looking for hidden gems where it needs a bit of a clean or ironing. For me, it's a way to find so e bargains.

I have a NY Giants Pennant that's faded to a gray-blue. I'm tempted to try a dye on that one. Any pointers as to which dye is best?
I used RIT Indigo. Check page 94 of the “Hey, pennant guys” thread.