NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Default How many people have a t206 honus wagner?

Posted By: Sean

this is my last topic for today.... How many people in this forum have an ACTUAL t206 honus wagner card... pics would be nice...
thanks

Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

A lot and most of them are fakes or reprints.

To seriously answer your question, I doubt you are going to get many responses. I think people who own them are not going to come onto a public forum and show them, no matter how much they might want to.

Other rare and high dollar cards they might but NOT the T206 Honus Wagner. Why?? Because the Wagner is a card that even non-baseball fans or collectors know about. When "Rare Honus Wagner baseball card sells for $2.8 million dollars" is on newspaper headlines, and various national TV and radio programs, people hear about it and pay attention. Why do you think so many fakes and reprints show up on eBay?? Because scam artists hear about the high dollar value of the card and try to take advantage of people who don't know any better.

Also, because of such national exposure and publicity about the value of the card, I think people who own REAL T206 Honus Wagners are afraid to publicly acknowlege it for fear some nut job will try and find out where they live and steal the card. If the card is not kept in the house but in a safety deposit box at the bank, the nut case might get upset and do something to a family member. Then the national headlines would read, "Family member hurt (or killed) during attempted theft of valuable Honus Wagner baseball card".

The person who showed me his real T206 Wagner said he didn't tell people about it just because of those reasons. He was afraid somebody would get hurt or killed because of it. Some people knew he had a lot of cards and that his collection was probably pretty valuable but they didn't know he owned the Wagner.

David

Old 09-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc

I would rather hear the story behind each T206 Honus Wagner. How the person obtained it - flea market, yard sale, grandfather, etc. To me that is soo much more interesting to me as a collector - it is about the 'find'.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I don't think any were found at flea markets or yard sales.

I would say each was purchased at a major auction house for a record price. No free lunches anymore with a T206 Wagner.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jared

Hmm, I disagree about the reality of that threat. It's a legit scenario, but I don't really think a low-grade Wagner is gonna draw as much attention to be paranoid. In fact, I swear I've seen someone post a beater Wagner on these boards before. Unless you've got a Wagner that you draw huge attention to by claiming it challenges the condition of "The Card", I don't think your chances of getting killed/robbed are any larger than the norm.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Barry, this is kind of off topic. How many known 1914 Baltimore News Babe Ruth cards are in existence? I've only been able to find information on the one card that recently sold for $250+ at Mastro's auction(?). I read an article about the owner of the card. It was quite interesting. Supposedly, this old man had bought various baseball cards throughout the years at various flea markets and yard sales - accumulating a modest collection. Apparently, after he died his family went through his stuff and amongst the other cards - they found the RARE Baltimore News Babe Ruth.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Administrator

There are probably at least 10 Baltimore News cards known, with more still being found. They come in red and blue with red being the more difficult color.

I actually know somebody who has two- one of each color!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Wow, your friend found two of them in each color? That is amazing! Sounds like there may be alot more out there. That is good for the health of the hobby knowing there is still a chance for the little guy to obtain a great card. Barry, as always, thanks for your information.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

You're welcome, but I just want to point out my friend didn't find two of them, he bought them. It's not like he was rummaging through a box of postcards at a flea market and they just happened to be there. They cost real money.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Well, with my budget, rummaging through flea markets, yard sales is what I have to hope for to obtain a card like that.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

There is still a terrific story about a kid buying a Mantle rookie for $20 at a garage sale in Sacramento probably 5 to 7 years ago now. He offered the seller $10 who told him no, and he gave the guy $10 to hold it and it took him 2 hours to talk his dad out of $10 more to pay for the card. Which he did - it later sold for $55k at auction I believe.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Many people who own a T206 Wagner wouldn't say so on this board. There may be others, but I know of one board member who owned one.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I know several people who read the board, but rarely post or never post, that own a t206 Wagner.

Jay

The richest person is not the one who has the most, but the one who needs the least.