NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-28-2021, 02:28 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.goodman View Post
I miss this thread, especially Michael B's fantastic pictures and stories.

On July 27 I saw these shows :
1984 - Judas Priest at the Cow Palace in San Francisco
1990 - D.R.I. at the Student Union in Regina Saskatchewan
1997 - H.O.R.D.E. Festival at Pine Know outside of Detroit
1999 - Washington, DC on a 16k mile motorhome vacation with my lovely wife
2000 - Warped Tour in Knoxville, TN
2001 - Warped Tour in Orlando, FL
2002 - Warped Tour in Chicago, IL
2003 - Warped Tour in Jacksonville, FL
2008 - Fuji Festival north of Tokyo with Ben Folds Five vercsion02
2009 - Green Day at The Garden in New York City
2013 - Smashing Pumpkins in Tilburg, Holland
2016 - Warped Tour in St Louis, MO
2018 - Smashing Pumpkins in Baltimore, MD
2019 - George Lopez in Saratoga, CA
2020 - enjoying the Zombie Apocalypse
2021 - enjoying net54 as the world gets closer to normal
Doug,

I have been so busy with work I have not had time to do any scanning. Working 7 days a week. The busiest I have been in 36 years of doing what I do. The bonus is that including my salary, they give me a commission over a certain billed amount so I am not complaining about netting twice my normal salary for the last 3 months. I reorganized all of my concert negatives and slides. If I get any breathing room in the next few weeks I will try to add some stuff. I am driving to the National on Thursday and the 3 1/2 days not working is goind to put me farther behind than I am now.

Michael 'barely above water at work' B.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 07-28-2021, 04:37 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
Doug,

I have been so busy with work I have not had time to do any scanning. Working 7 days a week. The busiest I have been in 36 years of doing what I do.

Michael 'barely above water at work' B.
In the last 508 days I have worked a total of 12 of them, so in the nearly 37 years of doing what I do, I have been the least busy that I have ever been.

So it all evens out, if you average you and me you get normal.

Doug 'approaching the end of the drought at work (hopefully)' G.
Old 08-10-2021, 01:07 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Yesterday while driving home, saw an ad for Kingston Trio coming into town Nov.14th. I had to smile, because I never heard of this band until this thread.. lol.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:51 PM
Doug Goodman

I just read thru this entire thread because, well, why not?

The stories and pictures that everybody involved have posted are amazing.

Thank you all.

And, I just figured out that my favorite Kingston trio song is actually sung by that Statler Brothers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DmeR9a6ig

So the title of this thread has been wrong all along, hahahaha.

Doug "evidently not as knowledgeable about music as I thought" Goodman

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-10-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:15 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Counting flowers on the wall
That don't bother me at all
Playing solitaire till dawn with a deck of fifty-one
Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
Now don't tell me I've nothing to do.

They just don't write lyrics like that anymore.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 08-10-2021, 09:51 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
They just don't write lyrics like that anymore.
Well, I'm not so sure of that :

The memory lingers on when
You were the same as us.
Three months old a child,
Still you lived off love and fuss.
City baby, city baby, city baby attacked by rats!

Residing in a squalid place,
It can't be too much fun.
Your brain is getting eaten away
By the rat living in your skull.

A mutant at the age of one,
A human rodent cabbage.
It's hard to think a tiny thing
Can do that much damage.

You were the same as us.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:54 PM
Doug Goodman

Or, maybe...

The skies are charcoal grey,
It's a dreary downtown day,
But at the end of my 40 foot leash,
Is my little friend Quiche.
Quiche La Poodle is her name
And having a good time on a crummy day is our game.

Quiche Quiche Lorraine
Old 08-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Jonathan Sterling

A couple months ago it looked like we were gonna beat this pandemic down. Tours were announced some shows already going on. Amazing how quickly it slowed down. Hopefully things (not people) turn positive soon. Went to the AMNH to see The dinosaurs with my Grandkids yesterday. GREAT day.. they offered free covid vaccines to anybody so inclined. And many folks were. Thought it was great. Many folks were tourists from places where getting a shot is not as easy as here in US. Reminded me how fortunate I am. Like every time I hear a Ramones tune I am reminded 4 friends with insturments having fun in a garage can watch there dreams come true. Such a country.. hope things get better soon for all my friends on this thread.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:05 PM
Justin

Ha. My old guitar player was in the opening band on a GBH European tour a while back. Reminds me I haven't talked to him in a while. Need to make a call...

Quote:
Well, I'm not so sure of that :

You were the same as us.

Residing in a squalid place,
It can't be too much fun.
Your brain is getting eaten away
By the rat living in your skull.

A mutant at the age of one,
A human rodent cabbage.
It's hard to think a tiny thing
Can do that much damage.

You were the same as us.

My collection: https://www.instagram.com/collectingbrooklyn/
Old 08-14-2021, 12:30 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

I am so busy with work I have not been able to post anything in this thread for a long time. Based on projected work I am going to be busy for the next 3 months at least and was just approached by the feds for a big project. All that work plus I have to write a script for a educational webinar I will be doing for CE credits (the lawyers know what I mean) for professional licensing standards in D.C in three weeks. The light at the end of the tunnel is a truck rushing towards me.

I decided I needed a distraction so I just spent 3 hours scanning and editing. I will take a couple of posts, but I am sure everyone will enjoy.

Jonathan - kind words. Not necessarily directed at me, but nice to read. Hey Ho, Let's Go!

Doug - If any of your tours bring you into my area, Baltimore to Richmond, let me know. I would never complain about an unlimited photo pass even if it is a band I don't know that well. I have not really shot much in the last few years. I had taken a bit of a hiatus when what I did not realize was cataracts got frustrating. Fortunately they not only fixed that with surgery but also my vision. Went from almost legally blind without contacts to 15/20. Now I have bionic eyes, one for reading, one for distance and I will never need glasses.

I had the chance to completely reorganize my concert slides and negatives chronologically. I am stepping back to some of the earlier shows. Hopefully no duplicate photos.

On with the show.

Dave Valentin - most, if not all people on this site have never heard of him. He was a Latin jazz flautist from New York. I first interviewed him when I was working in college radio in Boston in November 1980. I later saw him perform down in this area twice. A really nice person. Very old school. No answering machine, no computer. The last time I saw him was at the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA. opening for Angela Bofill whom he discovered. I was in the dressing room after the show getting some albums and photos signed. I gave him copies of this photo and several others from the interview. He takes an index card and writes down his phone number and says "Give me a call when you are coming to New York and we can go do something." Doug can probably attest to this. There are some genuinely nice guys in music, Huey Lewis is another, and Dave was one of them. Unfortunately, he passed away in March, 2017 and I was never able to take him up on his offer.

Taken in the dressing room at Berklee Performance Center in Boston,

valentin-1.jpg

Thin Lizzy - These were taken during the Chinatown Tour, December 1, 1980 at the Paradise in Boston. Even though the mike is in Phil's face in one of them I still like it. The guitar player is Snowy White. He replaced Gary Moore in the band. (Doug, thanks for point out the error. Fortunately, my name is not on the first page of the Bible.) He has also toured with Roger Waters on the Dark Side Live tour and The Wall live tour.

lynott-1.jpg
lynott-2.jpg
snowy-white.jpg

The Jam - One of the more talented punk/new wave bands of the late 1970's. I first met them at a record signing in Kenmore Square, Boston, near Fenway Park, for their All Mod Cons album. I still remember one of them giving me an unreleased 45 on yellow vinyl of Butterfly Collector. The last time they played together in Boston was May, 1981 at The Channel Club. It was oversold and overpacked. I was shooting from in front of the stage which was crazy. I had to to to stage right and stand on top of the amp and monitor cases with another photographer. In 2008 I went to the 9:30 Club in D.C. to get my rock book and the photo of Weller below signed by him. The alley next to the club is a public alley, much like a street, and the club cannot prevent people from walking down it. Weller came off the bus and a few of us went up to get him to sign. This was the first and only time I went to that club to get something signed. Some richardhead club employee started yelling out loud that I was a professional dealer. Mind you, I only had my book and the photo. I looked at the guy and said "Hey asshole, I took this photo myself." Weller signed no problem.

Rick Buckler
buckler-1.jpg

Bruce Foxton
foxton-1.jpg

Paul Weller
Weller-1.jpg

The Plastics - not to be confused with the clique in the movie 'Mean Girls' were a Japanese New Wave Band. I interviewed them for my radio station. Devo and the B-52's were fans so they got some exposure in the U.S. This was taken May 23, 1981 at the Paradise in Boston. The lead singer in the veil is Chica Sato. She was also a model and played a big part in getting American new wave, hip hop and graffiti into Japan. I believe the guitar player is Toshio Nakanishi aka Tycoon To$h. He was married to Chica. He passed away from Esophageal cancer in 2019.

plastics-1.jpg

The Clash - a couple more photos from the Clash on Broadways I attended June, 1981. If I were to make a high quality print of Mick Jones it would be this one. I also like this one of Paul Simenon.

jones-mick.jpg
simenon-1a.jpg

Dave Edmunds - never as big here in the U.S. as in the U.K. Most people know him for his song "I Hear You Knocking". Taken at a record signing Strawberries, Copley Square, Boston May 17, 1983.

edmunds-2.jpg

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”

Last edited by Michael B; 08-15-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:25 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

A few more photos:

Phillip Glass - probably the most reknowned American composer of the late 20th Century. He has composed both movie and Broadway soundtracks along with multiple symphonies and other works. He performs with the Phillip Glass Ensemble. Taken at the Harvard Coop in the mid 1980's.

glass-1.jpg

Ronnie Wood - He was signing his book 'The Works' at the Harvard Coop in 1988. He signed my rock book and most other items. He would make little sketches on index cards and sign them 'Woody'. I have a couple of other nice photos from this event. I like this because it seems a bit whimsical.

wood-ron.jpg

Jackson Browne - performed as some sort of fundraiser at the Strand Theatre in the Dorchester section of Boston. Late 1980s.

browne-1.jpg

Buster Poindexter aka David Johansen - He was having a free show on the Boston Common. It was a great location right on Charles Street across from the public gardens. I was able to get a great parking spot at the corner of Charles and Boylston Streets in the late afternoon. Pretty rare on a summer day. Pumped the meter until they stopped ticketing. Got there early enough to watch the sound check and get Johansen to sign some items. He was very friendly. Boy, has he changed. After sound check I got a couple of lawn chairs, blanket and cooler and being the first person there, picked a nice spot about 25 feet in front of the stage. My (first) wife eventually came from work and we sat and ate until it got dark. I was looking around to see how the crowd was and saw someone walking down one of the paths who was very familiar - Elvis Costello! I did not bother him, but just pointed him out. August, 1988 or 1989.

buster-1.jpg

David Crosby and Steven Stills - Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert Madison Square Garden. My ex Father in Law was president of MSG so this concert along with any others was a given. Since it was the whole family - mother in law, sisters in law and wife we sat on the side just above the walkway. It was also convenient as we got to eat in the private restaurant. They had hot dogs and the such all day so we only needed to walk in to get anything. My father in law knew I photographed and collected autographs, but was not really the friendly type - all business. He did take me backstage and said I could hang around if I wanted. I was allowed to come and go even without any pass. I would have preferred to get in the photo pit, but that didn't happen. I had to shoot from the walkway and since you weren't really allowed to stand there for long I had to take a few shots and move. This is one of the better ones from the show.

crosby-stills.jpg

A little change of pace. I don't just shoot concerts. South Pacific wildlife and flowers are also a specialty. This photo of a snowy egret taken in the botanical gardens in downtown Brisbane, Australia in November, 2003 won me a $4,000 photo printer from Fuji. I did not even know I was entering a contest when I sent a file to Fuji to get a print of this at the Photo Plus Expo in New York City.

snowy egret-1.jpg

Now continuing from the rock book

Roberta Flack - signed outsider Berklee Performance Center, Boston April 4, 1985
flack-2.jpg

Fleetwood Mac - Mick Fleetwood at Nighstage, Cambridge, MA February 18, 1989. He also gave me a signed drumstick
John and Christine McVie - Four Seasons Hotel, Boston. Did not note the date.
fleetwood-1.jpg
fleetwood-2.jpg

Flo & Eddie aka The Turtles - Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan. Signed at the Montgomery County Fairgrounds, Gaithersburg, MD October 9, 2004. It is interesting that there is no Turtles entry in the book despite having many hits. I like their biggest Flo & Eddie song "Keep it Warm" much more that their Turtles songs. They told me they don't perform it as most people do not know it. Their keyboardist for this show was Myron Grombacher who played for Rick Derringer in the early 1980's. They introduced him during the show. I pointed at him and said "I know you, Rick Derringer!" He got a kick out of that and we talked after the show.

flo-&-eddie-1.jpg

Foghat - Roger Earl at the Channel Club, Boston, June 2, 1989. He also gave me a signed drumstick. 'Lonesome' Dave Peverett at his hotel in Braintree, MA. Date not noted. It was odd circumstances. I believe I was at the club to get him and his manager told me and my wife to go to the hotel and meet him in his room. Very nice guy. If you see Foghat these days, their lead guitar player is famous for another song. Charley Bassett was the lead guitarist for Wild Cherry. You can hear him playing, especially the intro, of 'Play That Funky Music'

foghat-1.jpg

Foreigner - Lou Gramm signed at this free music/celebrity expo sponsored by some radio station at the Bayside Expo Center, Boston September 27, 1997. I remember Jon Anderson of Yes also being there. Mick Jones signed at the Birchmere, Alexandria, VA September 19, 2006. His drummer was Jason Bonham.

foreigner-1.jpg

Last edited by Michael B; 08-15-2021 at 03:16 AM.
Old 08-15-2021, 02:40 AM
Doug Goodman

Man, what great posts.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:31 PM
Doug Goodman

Default Metal Monday

I dug out a bunch of my old tapes from my boolegging days and a friend of a friend is digitizing them.

Some pretty great stuff...

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1...-thrash-metal/

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1...udio-cassette/
Old 09-25-2023, 06:15 PM
Rob

Quote:
A few more photos:

Phillip Glass - probably the most reknowned American composer of the late 20th Century. He has composed both movie and Broadway soundtracks along with multiple symphonies and other works. He performs with the Phillip Glass Ensemble. Taken at the Harvard Coop in the mid 1980's.

Attachment 473532
I think Doug called Pearl Jam “boring” but they often use Phillip Glass’ “Metamorphosis” as their “walk out” music.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:33 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
I think Doug called Pearl Jam “boring” but they often use Phillip Glass’ “Metamorphosis” as their “walk out” music.
Doug definitely called Pearl Jam boring, when I saw them a CBGB in 1991 they were to definition of. I didn't both taping that one.

Sounds like their "walk out" music is the best thing about their show.

Last edited by doug.goodman; 09-25-2023 at 07:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 07:42 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Tickets

Love this thread as well. Thank you Mike and Doug and everyone else for keeping it alive. I saw Eagles Steeley Dan a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed the show.
For my posts

Assorted Who Tickets
1979 Capitol Theater row 1 1st nite Row 6 2nd
1979 MSG Rows 6,12,9,1 5 All 5 nites
Pittsburgh 82 1st Row
Indianapolis 82 Row6
Portland Or 82 Tow 2
London 81 Row 5
Landover MD Row 4
Chicago 82 Row 9..

Jorma At Paladium
Ramones David Johanson 79 Capitol Theater
Clash 82 Asbury park convention center.
3 signed tickets Pete Kenny Jones. Roger Daltry, John Entwhistle.

Back from when going to shows was Affordable. Well The Tommy Ticket was 1K but went to charity. All the others between $50 -$100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230925_211452.jpg (189.3 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg 20230925_212413.jpg (188.5 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20230925_212634.jpg (191.9 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 20230925_212400.jpg (167.5 KB, 116 views)
Old 09-25-2023, 11:46 PM
Doug Goodman

Tommy at Radio City.

Nice.
Old 10-17-2023, 12:16 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Here are a couple of sports and music crossover items I received back from the Music City Sports Card, Collectibles and Autograph Show that happened a few weeks ago.

Jimmy "Mouth of the South" Hart made quite a name for himself as a pro wrestling 'manager'. Prior to that he was a member of The Gentrys who had a hit with "Keep on Dancing" which reached #4 on the Billboard chart in 1965. The original song, as written, was so short the single is actually the song performed twice. Both items signed at the show and the price was quite reasonable for a mail in.

Gentrys-1.jpg

Original sheet music from the U.K. It does not bother me that a previous owner signed this in the upper right corner.

gentrys-2.jpg

This was co-written by Hart.

Old 11-04-2023, 03:39 PM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Quote:
I dug out a bunch of my old tapes from my boolegging days and a friend of a friend is digitizing them.

Some pretty great stuff...

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1...-thrash-metal/

https://sacramentomusicarchive.com/1...udio-cassette/
Holy sh- these are freaking epic. The audio quality is very good as well...love it! Thank you for sharing these treasures! \m/
Old 11-05-2023, 05:38 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Anybody ever heard of a band called "Ruthless"? Would have played around LA in the early 1980s. I found a comp ticket to one of their shows at The Troubador. Given the name and timing I figure they were metal-related.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-05-2023 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2023, 07:13 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Gary,

Thank you for the kind words. Nice photos and good color correction. The tungsten lights they use in concert lighting can mess up the colors. I still shoot analog aka film so I use tungsten corrected film or flash when I can. Dave Grohl is from the next City over - Alexandria, VA the same hometown as Stewart Copeland of The Police. He and his mom are starting a podcast from what I read.

I am a fan of Pat Smear's original band, The Germs. They never played up in Boston as far as I know as their singer, Darby Crash committed suicide by OD'ing on heroin in 1980. There is a great documentary movie on the LA punk scene - 'The Decline of Western Civilization' by Penelope Spheeris. It features Black Flag, the Circle Jerks, Fear, Catholic Discipline, The Germs and X. Lots of candid footage and concert scenes.
Ah yes.... Great documentary and Better Days!

Brings back fond memories of my all-time favorite love song... Beef Balogna by Fear.

Lee Ving... always the romantic.

https://www.streetdirectory.com/lyri.../beef_balogna/

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos

Last edited by perezfan; 11-05-2023 at 07:15 PM.