NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-16-2014, 09:36 PM
Brad Francis

Default Why are corners clipped? T206 and others??

Dumb question maybe, but in consideration of my earlier post about cards in our collection that we hate to look at, I have a few T206's with clipped corners. I picked them up for a song, but just can't seem to enjoy them. I have seen many cards from different sets with one clipped corner, including the recent big collection being sold here over the last month or so. Maybe someone can fill me in on why someone would clip the corner of a perfectly good card.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

my guess is some type of local promotion. corners clipped as a redemption. i guess we will never know for sure.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Barry Arnold

Default clipped

gets rid of the creases once they've been taken out of those ancient black photo albums?

all the best,
barry
Old 09-16-2014, 11:04 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Kids and scissors probably.

If you look at old Victorian albums, they're filled with real and hand-made die cuts, cut up trade cards. I think part of making a kid's scrap album involved cutting stuff. If you give a kid a pair of scissors, he or she's going to cut stuff. You'll also find cards with punch holes. Give kids a hole puncher and they'll punch holes into stuff. Give a kid a rubber stamp of his initials and he'll rubber stamp his cards. Nature's law.

Last edited by drcy; 09-16-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Bry@n

I like the kid angle. Growing up with a brother 13 months apart in age I can see a kid clipping the corner of his cards to keep his sibling/friend from being able to claim them. As a kid my dad ended up engraving different marks on the tools in our child's tool boxes to end the arguing over them.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Mark Macrae

Default Gam(bl)ing

In the San Francisco region during the mid-teens to mid 30's a craze called "zeenut shooting" was part of the culture growing up, almost like pitching pennines but with baseball cards. Different techniques were used by different kids ranging from clipping corners (smooth edges do not bounce back from the walls as much as a pointed edge) to dipping the card in wax (adds weight to the paper, better control and brakes). A high percentage of Bay Area collections assembled during that era will contain cards with clipped corners. Not all of the cards will necessarily be clipped, but there are usually some. A recently acquired (Bay Area assembled) collection contained examples of E-120, E-135, E-136, T-206 and T-212 cards which had been subjected to this modification.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Default maybe???

a collector/collectors marked their cards this way??? as ownership?? had no rubber stamps
Old 09-18-2014, 03:29 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks1912 View Post
In the San Francisco region during the mid-teens to mid 30's a craze called "zeenut shooting" was part of the culture growing up, almost like pitching pennines but with baseball cards. Different techniques were used by different kids ranging from clipping corners (smooth edges do not bounce back from the walls as much as a pointed edge) to dipping the card in wax (adds weight to the paper, better control and brakes). A high percentage of Bay Area collections assembled during that era will contain cards with clipped corners. Not all of the cards will necessarily be clipped, but there are usually some. A recently acquired (Bay Area assembled) collection contained examples of E-120, E-135, E-136, T-206 and T-212 cards which had been subjected to this modification.
Mark's got it (as usual). Likely for the card shooting game. Show us the image of the card, if you would.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:18 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Default clipped corners

Many photo albums of the day had mounting corners that were used to hold the photos in place. If you were to clip the corners of the cards, they would have the look of photos in a more formal photo album.

Just a guess.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Corners get soft, sometimes fray, even creaced. They get beat up alot, id say dome people who arent collectors clip them so they look more clean.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 09-18-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:32 AM
D Brown

Clipped corners were very common on CDVs, I believe they were clipped to fit into photo albums. I have no idea if this is related -- there's a 30-year gap between the height of CDVs' popularity and t-206 -- but it seems too similar to be a coincidence.

relevant examples:
http://legendaryauctions.com/1863_jo...lot154257.aspx

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...2010/1143.html