NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Barry Arnold

Default treasure

i was most surprised that the lamps weren't Tiffany.
all the best,
barry
Old 03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Alex

Default Where was Cobb?

Cobb was noticably absent. Anyone know why?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Ruben

Default Wagner

I think if i was them i would find an auction house that will now auction this very well known fake while it is in the news. Their only chance to make a few $$$ out of nothing. Publicity goes a long way.
Funny how something which looked fake to 99% of those on this board went so far on national tv. So much for CSA
Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM

Default Great new show....

Lee!

....You ain't kiddn' Great auctions btw...true meat and potatoes of our hobby, your a true gentleman and collector, and you have AWESOME auctions!

Barry,

I watched the show, and like Barry, lamps weren't Tiffany?? I thought the show was real good, I think I'll watch it again...

I can't beleive it, but I actually felt bad for the guy! I really think he convinced himself it was the real deal....at first, after seeing the guy's reaction, I really feel he thought it was real!, or he is a great actor....as we all know, in about 1.2 seconds as soon as you see the card you can tell it's a fake 80's reprint like the GAZILLIONS that flood ebay each day......Johnny, btw, may I make an offer on your's??

Hearing the story for the past year or whatever, I never paid much attention to these guys, I just figured they were scammers trying to make a big payday and rip someone off.....but logic tells me, why in the world would anyone come on CNBC if they didn't convince himself it was the real deal??? or was he just trying to play it off like he "really" thought it was authentic just to avoid the legal ramifications if he tried to sell a reprint as the real deal for some stupid money????????????? I guess we'll never know....I know , for some reason, I try to find the good in some people , and maybe this guy has had his dreamed crushed was enough of a spanking to live and let live.....

I have a feeling this card will be auctioned and actually someone will pay a few hundred or maybe even 1 k for the novelty.....(btw, that's not me)

anyway, glad this was laid to rest and now I can finally sleep knowing it isn't real
Old 03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Default the final test

at this point he should have to submit to a lie detector test to prove he really thinks it is not a fake.

if he passes, ok. maybe he really is that pathological and distrusting and its a personal flaw.

if he fails, it will be the last time we ever hear from this guy.

kevin
Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
at this point he should have to submit to a lie detector test to prove he really thinks it is not a fake.

if he passes, ok. maybe he really is that pathological and distrusting and its a personal flaw.

if he fails, it will be the last time we ever hear from this guy.

kevin
Great idea. The story that I originally heard about these guys back in 2002 was that they had stolen this card from someone who had glued a fake front to a real Piedmont back. I would love to ask them where they got this card while they are taking this test.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:29 AM

I don't know if this is the case or not, but the way he was acting reminded me of less than knowledgeable autograph collectors who have spent a bunch of money with people who sell forgeries and then when you tell them and show them evidence, they just don't want to believe it. They hold out hope that somehow it is real.

I have seen this countless times in the autograph hobby. You show them evidence that they are dealing with forgers and they look for every way they can to convince you and themselves that what they have bought is real. Sadly, many of them then try to sell and recoup $ just in case it isn't real.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:46 AM
Joe

This this isn't the last we will hear of this card and the owners. It's been going on long enough but it ain't over.

Last edited by 2dueces; 03-13-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:10 AM
Scott S

I was trying to find the original thread in the archives from many years ago - weren't these two guys on here arguing about this card back in 2005 or so? I can't find it, so I'm not sure if I am (as Roger Clemens would say) mis-remembering.

Can anyone help me find this if it really happened?
Old 03-13-2013, 07:53 AM
Dave Terwi.lliger

It seems like these clowns and Okeefe (the great defender of our hobby) owe some appologies....somehow I doubt that will ever happen. Time to drum up the next great hobby story to profit from.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I was trying to find the original thread in the archives from many years ago - weren't these two guys on here arguing about this card back in 2005 or so? I can't find it, so I'm not sure if I am (as Roger Clemens would say) mis-remembering.

Can anyone help me find this if it really happened?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81887&

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81898& - This thread is started by one of them.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81976&
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Scott S

Thanks Andy - will make for some fun lunchtime reading to go over these again!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Jim M.arinari

I really have to hand it to the producers (or the authenticators) of this show. They came out of the gate asking the hard common sense questions, and pretty much backed him in a corner by bringing in CSA. They knew it wasn't real from the get go, but their 'mission statement' is to be as close to 100% certain as possible.
I also felt that Edwards really thought it was authentic, and everyone up to this point were just being mean.

Last week they proved a Lalique hood ornament was authentic. The guy paid $1200 for it in a charity auction. Worth $300K! I am hooked.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Hank Thomas

What a lot to do about nothing! One glance at the card showed it to be no more than the standard phony baked (or whatever) repro for which any one of us here or at any card show would have immediately taken a bet of 10 grand that it would turn out to be a phony. You have to give it to those guys, though, for taking something so patently bogus so far.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 AM
Ken Madden
Ken.neth D. M@dden

Default fake Wagner

I just spent an hour (can't sleep anyway) reviewing that old crap. Quite amusing. I wouldn't want to try and slip a good fake by this board, let alone that thing.

Last edited by deadballfreaK; 03-15-2013 at 05:02 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 AM
N.ate A.dams

Wow, just read Cobb or Edwards' post on Net54 a while back....goodness. Is everyone still a racist for being "player haters" towards them? New question, what are the chances that "player" was an intended pun?

Red and yellow black or white, they are morons in my sight. No one trusts the silly two men with "TheCard".

Last edited by npa589; 03-15-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Al

Well I just watched the show and the card was determined to be a fake. Didnt sit well with the owner of the card. May have been a real piedmont back but the front may have been glued on hence a peel job. The scan determined that the card wasnt a consistent thickness all the way thru,also the print matrix on the front wasnt right. No real surprise here! The owner didnt want to have it taken out of the slab(wonder why)

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..
Old 03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Paul Hawk

Not that it didn't convince me (their analysis and investigation), but to really slam dunk their findings, it would have been more substantial had they scanned authentic T-206s, and a control T-206 that had been re-backed, and showed the audience the actual scientific comparison. Good TV....

Now the most important question: will this card go away????

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsballsbases View Post
Well I just watched the show and the card was determined to be a fake. Didnt sit well with the owner of the card. May have been a real piedmont back but the front may have been glued on hence a peel job. The scan determined that the card wasnt a consistent thickness all the way thru,also the print matrix on the front wasnt right. No real surprise here! The owner didnt want to have it taken out of the slab(wonder why)

http://vintagebaseballs.blogspot.com

Stop by and say hello!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:01 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I just started reading the "This thread is started by one of them" thread and all I can say is I'm so sorry our educational system has failed him so. Is this person even remotely familiar with grammar or did he just randomly hit the letters on his keyboard and hope he formed words and complete sentences???

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Out of boredom on my work break I was curious if Cobb's or Edward's had taken down their site or had released a comment and found this post from their facebook page (accompanied with a link about the PSA 8 wagner being trimmed):

Quote:
I have been saying this for years that the PSA-8 Wagner is alter. I have had every test done on my The Cobb/Edwards T206 Honus Wagner Card and pass every test and these other Wagner cards had no test done on them and can sell for millions. This Sh#t isn't right. Eleven years I have been fighting and still they want accept my card as the real deal. Even to go as far as to tell a open lie on TV Teasure Detective CNBC show. My card pass all the test on that show and the host of the show called my card a fake. Not right but I will win in the end. I put the challenge out to PSA, SGC to have a show down live on TV to prove to the world that my card is real or fake. No editng TV. Lets do the damm thing Joe Orlando at PSA. I need people to put pass on the word. Ray wants a show down live on TV....
I have to admit I would watch a show put out by PSA or SGC, but either way it looks like this saga isn't over yet.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM

Is that Bill Hedin from this board telling the guy to keep up the fight on that facebook page?
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM
pete ullman

It sure is Bill!!! Unbelievable to me that this runaway train is still rolling?!?!?!

What's more unbelievable is all of the support Ray is getting over a 1c reprint.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Hank Thomas

Sometimes all you need is your eyes to tell you what's right and what's not. He could see all along the Gretzky Wagner wasn't right, and by God, those same eyes tell him his card IS the real deal. Don't ever give up, I say! Or at least not as long as you can get one more person to waste the time to pay the slightest bit of attention to this, the single stupidest hobby happening ever. Oh ####, I just realized--now that's me!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That guy belongs in the same boat as Captain Ahab, Dale Gribble, and the 9/11 Truthers.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-05-2013, 03:56 AM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default Captain Ahab?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
That guy belongs in the same boat as Captain Ahab, Dale Gribble, and the 9/11 Truthers.
There actually was a white whale. It sank the ship and killed Ahab (technically, he got pulled under by being caught in the harpoon rope).

We need a different example (maybe something out of Poe)?
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 AM
David Pierson
Banned

How about...."Nevermore!"
Old 05-05-2013, 07:34 PM

I would be careful using the word "white" in any post relating to Cobb and Edwards.....

David