NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Default New board rule about publicly complaining about an expert's LOA

Posted By: davidcycleback

You have to first read the LOA.

It's comical that I have to seriously create this rule, but it's comical how many people in this hobby will point out all the ills and errors and wrongs and evils contained in a one side of one page document they have never actually read, or even attempted to gain a copy of.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Maher will be back next Friday!

Old 02-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

then I must find your use of the word "comical" to be, well, flippant. I withheld judgment until I saw the LOA, but having seen it, I believe that reasonable minds could differ as to whether it was deceptive. Perhaps you and Mr. Gaynor and others are so well-versed in the lexicon of autographed memorabilia that the LOA could only be read one way, but this bumpkin here is not, and found the thread to be educational in many ways.

I agree that the LOA should be read first but in the future, if someone else has questions about what things mean in the LOA itself or whether it reflects a questionable business practice, I would hope they are not reluctant to bring it up simply out of concerns that others may find it "comical".

Old 02-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Now wait just one minute.....!!!

We live in a democracy that provides us the right to be ignorant in our expression and views regarding subject matter we know nothing about.

Now, someone bring on another Game Used debacle or LOA louse up or Authentication deception (or what ever) so that I can rant and rave without regard to the true subject matter whilst feeling like I've contributed something worthwhile.

New Rule - Try not to use Bushing or Spence as they are getting boring - however, if you can't find anyone else feel free rehash a topic to keep the conversation stale.

Quite honestly, I don't like hearing about all of the hobby disasters but at least they keep things in perspective. It also allows us to understand that maybe, just maybe - this hobby has it's faults and maybe, just maybe - we, as a fourm can address some of these issues and possibly even come up with a possible solution to avoid being "taken" or "ripped off". And maybe, just maybe - some of those in the position to make those mistakes can learn how to avoid them (after being fileted and fried, properly, in this forum).

Does anyone know how to get to Salem from Boston?

Old 02-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: shellyjaffe

The board I started was meant to do exactly what took place. It had people stating there opinions on what should be in a LOA. It was not meant to beat up on Spence but to make people aware that wording in these letters can be extremely deceptive. It is important to the hobby that sites like this should continue. When you guys where talking about Heitman I emailed him to respond so that he could answer some of your questions. That is why this venue is so important. I will keep posting the phony Mantles and other autographs so that some of you on here will be aware just how many there are on Ebay. I hope you do the same with the cards.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Todd, your post and my post are not in conflict. People are welcome to criticize LOAs, ask what terms or concepts mean, point out errors, etc.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd (nolemmings)

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Todd, duly note that I don't have any power to make new board rules. I'm not a member of any governing board, and I'm sure Bill C. takes my suggestions no more seriously than anyone else's.

I just think people should read something before point out all its errors.

Old 02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Elliot

"governing board"???? this is a benevolent dictatorship

Old 02-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Administrator

Old 02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Administrator