NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-08-2021, 07:37 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmvorce View Post
Huge mail day to knock off some big boys. up to 15 of 97 on the 52 highs. Happy Friday, everyone.
Very nice, Chris.

Since I haven't updated this thread in a while (just monthly pickup posts) within the past few months, including just 4 days ago, I have managed to pick up these highs which now brings my number down to 22 remaining. (all highs)

I honestly never thought I'd be able to grab these cards in such a short period, but I guess I got lucky for the most part?
Old 06-08-2021, 07:52 AM
D@v3 W@u9h

It's been slow numbers-wise over the past few months for my 1967 set build. I've only been able to add 40 cards since my last update in February, BUT many were HOFers so quality has certainly been there: Aaron, Banks, Brock, Drysdale, Cepeda, Ford, Killebrew, Mantle, F Robby, Stargell. I've also added 6 high #s and several leaders, teams, and the tough 7th series checklist. Count stands at 544/609. I need 65 cards and 34 are high #s. No surprise there!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle_350.jpg (46.0 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg aaron_300.jpg (43.5 KB, 470 views)
File Type: jpg killebrew_300.jpg (40.0 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg frobby300.jpg (42.4 KB, 471 views)
File Type: jpg cepeda_300.jpg (41.2 KB, 474 views)
File Type: jpg 7th_300.jpg (55.8 KB, 480 views)
File Type: jpg banks_300.jpg (40.1 KB, 476 views)
File Type: jpg brock_300.jpg (42.2 KB, 476 views)
1971T NM+ 498/752 (66%)
1954B EXMT+ 82/225 (36%)
1968T NM 173/598 (29%)
1975T NMMT 186/660 (28%)
1969T NM 125/664 (19%)
1971OPC NM 108/752 (14%)

Last edited by smellthegum; 06-08-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: new scan of checklist
Old 06-08-2021, 01:43 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Very nice, Chris.

Since I haven't updated this thread in a while (just monthly pickup posts) within the past few months, including just 4 days ago, I have managed to pick up these highs which now brings my number down to 22 remaining. (all highs)

I honestly never thought I'd be able to grab these cards in such a short period, but I guess I got lucky for the most part?
You are almost there! I’m going to need to make a decision on 52 topps pretty soon. There are only 6, what I have deemed “notable” players left on my needs list: Joe Nuxhall, Frank Crosetti, Billy Herman, Dick Groat, and Smokey Burgess. After that, it’s all high number commons left for me, other than that guy from Oklahoma. So, I need to decide what to do about the Mantle. If I’m never going to complete the set, do I really want to spend a few thousand dollars on commons? If I am going to go after the Mantle I need to start saving and need to sell almost all my non 52 high dollar cards to generate some cash.

I saw a decent looking PSA 1 Mantle on eBay last week for ~$35k or best offer so prices do seem to maybe be coming back down a little?

I just don’t know. Decisions decisions.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:06 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmvorce View Post
You are almost there! I’m going to need to make a decision on 52 topps pretty soon. There are only 6, what I have deemed “notable” players left on my needs list: Joe Nuxhall, Frank Crosetti, Billy Herman, Dick Groat, and Smokey Burgess. After that, it’s all high number commons left for me, other than that guy from Oklahoma. So, I need to decide what to do about the Mantle. If I’m never going to complete the set, do I really want to spend a few thousand dollars on commons? If I am going to go after the Mantle I need to start saving and need to sell almost all my non 52 high dollar cards to generate some cash.

I saw a decent looking PSA 1 Mantle on eBay last week for ~$35k or best offer so prices do seem to maybe be coming back down a little?

I just don’t know. Decisions decisions.
The condition of my latest pick ups isn't the greatest but I know if I am ever going to complete my set, then, more than likely, those are the condition I am going to have to concentrate on.

Like you are with your Mantle, I am the same way when it comes to Mathews. If I want it, I am going to have give up something else in order to do so.
Outside of Mathews, the next big cards for me are Campy, Wilhelm and Dickey. Once those are obtained, the rest should be much easier on the pocketbook.

I still need Hal Greg, Randy Jackson, Bubba Church, Warren Hacker, Russ Meyer, Bob Hooper, Hal Jeffcoat, Bob Kelly, Bob Cain, Bob Del Greco, John Kucab, George Crowe, Cookie Lavagetto, Bob Thorpe, Billy Hoeft, Jim Turner, Ebba St Claire and Bob Schultz so I continue to keep my eyes open.

It will be nice to someday say I have now completed it, but at the same time, I am going to enjoy the journey.
Old 06-09-2021, 10:49 PM
Chris

Quote:

I still need Hal Greg, Randy Jackson, Bubba Church, Warren Hacker, Russ Meyer, Bob Hooper, Hal Jeffcoat, Bob Kelly, Bob Cain, Bob Del Greco, John Kucab, George Crowe, Cookie Lavagetto, Bob Thorpe, Billy Hoeft, Jim Turner, Ebba St Claire and Bob Schultz so I continue to keep my eyes open.

It will be nice to someday say I have now completed it, but at the same time, I am going to enjoy the journey.
Did you see the recent Kit Young sale catalogue? They are breaking a 52 set and have some of the cards you need in GD/VG for decent prices. Just an FYI in case you were looking.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:41 PM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Very nice, Chris.

Great looking high numbers Dale, congrats on getting to 385/ 22 to go. I think you are catching the market at the right time and once you get as close as you are on this set, the completion bug bites and suddenly you end up pushing harder for completion.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:14 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Great looking high numbers Dale, congrats on getting to 385/ 22 to go. I think you are catching the market at the right time and once you get as close as you are on this set, the completion bug bites and suddenly you end up pushing harder for completion.
agreed...those are some AWESOME 52 highs...well done!

I always fall to the "pushing harder" for completion... Really trying to stay patient as I close down some 50's sets...but it's not working well...haha

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-09-2021, 03:17 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Thanks to a fellow net54 member I finally closed out the last card I needed for my 55 Topps set. I've had the set before, sold it to fund something else...saw the prices JUMP...now have it again and will be keeping it...

Last card should have been one of the first cards, I try not to save the Mantles or card like this for last...but so it goes sometimes. Stoked to have the Clemente back into my collection! (thanks Chris!)

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03

Last edited by Harliduck; 06-09-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
agreed...those are some AWESOME 52 highs...well done!

I always fall to the "pushing harder" for completion... Really trying to stay patient as I close down some 50's sets...but it's not working well...haha
Thanks guys!
Old 06-09-2021, 10:51 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harliduck View Post
Thanks to a fellow net54 member I finally closed out the last card I needed for my 55 Topps set. I've had the set before, sold it to fund something else...saw the prices JUMP...now have it again and will be keeping it...

Last card should have been one of the first cards, I try not to save the Mantles or card like this for last...but so it goes sometimes. Stoked to have the Clemente back into my collection! (thanks Chris!)

Congrats on completing 55. I can’t wait to do that someday. That Clemente is one of my alltime favorite rookies.
Old 06-15-2021, 03:36 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

With the card below, I am one card away from completing my 1977 Topps Set.

And that card is Gaylord Perry. Mr. Perry is on his way to my waiting hands and should be here by the end of the week!
WOOT!!!!

659/660 with 660 on its way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (78.0 KB, 556 views)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:42 PM
+0m J()rd@N

It's been a slow couple of months since the last update, but at least I'm going in the right direction on these few sets. I have added a 1959 Fleer Ted Williams set to the chase as I was able to pick up about half the set at the LCS.

T206 Southern Leaguers, Virginia League - holding steady at 10/12 and needing to 'Shag' a 'Hooker' to finish this one
1952 Topps Low Numbers - 277/310, making good progress approaching 310. Why couldn't Mick have been a low number? - at least I'd have a puncher's chance.
1954 Bowman - 170/224
1959 Fleer Ted Williams - 54/80 - nice set seeing it all together
1964 Topps Giants auto'd - 57/60, still needing Clemente, Farrell and Mays
1964 Topps - 553/585, the 6th series seems to be tougher than the 7th series
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 06-16-2021 at 09:49 PM.