NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-20-2020, 05:20 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Here is my counterpart to your Giants... 1936 Yankees. Please excuse the camera flash and sideways image.

Never seen another...
Mark that is stunning!
Old 08-20-2020, 05:41 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
You’ve all seen this before but here’s the 1920 Dodgers.
LOVE that one

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-20-2020 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:56 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocca001 View Post
Thanks Mike and Mark. Mark- yours looks brand new. Does anyone know how much the Black Sox pennant sold for?
You wouldn't believe it if I told you. I do not recall the exact number, but it was beyond staggering. I have a hard copy of all the prices realized stashed away somewhere. I'll look for it later tonight, and (assuming I find it) will post the number, which is almost beyond belief.

Edit: Maybe Mike K. has it (and can post it quicker), seeing that he had the photo.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-20-2020 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 07:24 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Thanks Mike and Mark. Mark- yours looks brand new. Does anyone know how much the Black Sox pennant sold for?
The Black Sox pennant was Lot Number 543 and sold for $34,500.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 08-20-2020, 07:30 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
The Black Sox pennant was Lot Number 543 and sold for $34,500.

We are still talking pennants, correct? I didn’t stumble across an antique car forum with prices like that, did I...$34k?!
Old 08-20-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Here is my counterpart to your Giants... 1936 Yankees. Please excuse the camera flash and sideways image.

Never seen another...
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
We are still talking pennants, correct? I didn’t stumble across an antique car forum with prices like that, did I...$34k?!
Not the highest paid ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64FCC65A-4B27-4825-BD63-1F9A8D32A990.jpg (11.1 KB, 230 views)
Old 08-20-2020, 08:38 PM
Marc

Mark, Mike, Greg, and others- Is that the highest price you've seen paid for a baseball pennant? If so, anything else even close? (EDIT: I see that Greg just posted a higher priced Red Sox pennant).

If we assume that the Black Sox pennant is part of a series that was all produced at once (i.e., in the 1930s), I wonder if knowing that would affect the price if came back up for sale?

Last edited by bocca001; 08-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Mark, Mike, Greg, and others- Is that the highest price you've seen paid for a baseball pennant? If so, anything else even close? (EDIT: I see that Greg just posted a higher priced Red Sox pennant).

If we assume that the Black Sox pennant is part of a series that was all produced at once (i.e., in the 1930s), I wonder if knowing that would affect the price if came back up for sale?
Well, what we here on the board assume would only really affect the price if we are the only ones who would bid. But we’re not. It’s a mystery for sure, but I haven’t seen any commemorative pennants of this style for 1903-1918 while I’ve seen about ten different for the years 1919-1939. It would seem that 1903 (or earlier?) would be the natural starting point if you are doing a historical series. And I’d assume the same number of each would be produced and would be equally scarce. But that’s not true. I still lean towards a long run of annual pennants from the same company.

Now if you show me a grommeted 1908 Cubs pennant? I’ll change my mind.

Last edited by thetahat; 08-20-2020 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

It's a legit question... but there would need to be iron-clad evidence that the pennant was a commemorative issue (made years later).

Also, that Halper sale was what... almost 20 years ago? The 1919 ChiSox Pennant might sell for even more now!

With regard to the highest price eve paid for a pennant... I think Greg nailed it with the Red Sox. I cannot recall a more expensive one.

Last edited by perezfan; 08-20-2020 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:14 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Honorable Mention...

https://robertedwardauctions.com/auc...league-pennant
Old 08-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Rob

Quote:
Mark finds pennants like this between his couch cushions.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:26 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Ha ha ha.... I wish!

But note the similarities... Same maker for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1914-buffalo-federal-league-pennant.jpg (29.4 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg Overland3.jpg (32.5 KB, 231 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 08-20-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 PM

What does the Buffalo Federals pennant say in the footer, beneath the graphic? Looks like there's a tiny subscript there that may be a hint as to this mystery maker's identity....
Old 08-22-2020, 05:46 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Underneath the two central figures, it says "The Green Extra" "Glad to Meet You"

I would surmise that "The Green Extra" was a section of the Buffalo Enquirer Newspaper. I remember that the San Francisco Chronicle always had a green colored Sports Section. So perhaps that used to be a known practice, to differentiate the Paper's sports coverage from the rest of the news.

As far as the "Nice to Meet You" portion... I would guess that was a salutation referencing the brand new team and welcoming them to the new league. The pennant is dated 1914, so this would make perfect sense.

If anyone here can derive more from that caption, you're a better sleuth than me!
Old 08-22-2020, 05:54 PM
Doug Goodman

never mind

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-22-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Oh come on Doug... Let's hear it!

Your perspective is always insightful... and I don't mind being wrong. I was just throwing out guesses anyway!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:15 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Hey Leon...

Where does this thread rank, in terms of the total number of views?

It's gotta be way up there, with 686,953 views (as I write this). Even the epic "What's your Monster Number" thread has only 619,521 views.

So are there any threads that rank higher? And if so, what is the most views of any single thread?

If the site doesn't provide you this info, then nevermind!
Old 08-22-2020, 06:49 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Oh come on Doug... Let's hear it!

Your perspective is always insightful... and I don't mind being wrong. I was just throwing out guesses anyway!
I posted the same as your first sentence, with no thought put into it.

I agree with your theory (and I was more of a pink section guy when it came to the SF Chronicle)...
Old 08-22-2020, 06:52 PM
Doug Goodman

Quote:
Hey Leon...

It's gotta be way up there, with 686,953 views (as I write this). Even the epic "What's your Monster Number" thread has only 619,521 views.

So are there any threads that rank higher? And if so, what is the most views of any single thread?

Click on the title of the "views" column and it lists threads in order...

On a quick look around the site, this one seems to be the highest.

Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) Show...me...your print variations! has 462,440 views...

Last edited by doug.goodman; 08-22-2020 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Hey Leon...

All I know is that my goal in life is to be the 1,000,000th view.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:44 AM
Marc

Speaking of variations: Before Rob sold me the cool Giants and 49ers stuff, I was keeping busy looking for some 1960s/1970s Giants pennant variations. I'm finding that this type of collecting a) is useful for distracting me from my real job, and b) is not very expensive. Included here is a black variant of a Candlestick pennant that is much easier to find in Orange, a common black pennant with bat that usually does not have the 1969 MLB logo, and an ASCO (I think) pennant with the "big letter" MLB, but no date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Giants black 1970s stick.jpg (55.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Giants bat cloth 1969.jpg (41.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg Giants ASCO MLB no date.jpg (46.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-23-2020, 03:03 PM
Rob

Quote:
Speaking of variations: Before Rob sold me the cool Giants and 49ers stuff, I was keeping busy looking for some 1960s/1970s Giants pennant variations. I'm finding that this type of collecting a) is useful for distracting me from my real job, and b) is not very expensive. Included here is a black variant of a Candlestick pennant that is much easier to find in Orange, a common black pennant with bat that usually does not have the 1969 MLB logo, and an ASCO (I think) pennant with the "big letter" MLB, but no date.

Great pennants Marc. This is such a cool and untapped niche. I’m hooked on it too. So many rarities in the late 60s to early 80s. They are fun to find. The upside is there’s not a lot of competition for them so you can usually get them on the cheap. The downside is there’s not a lot of competition for them so you can get them on the cheap. They are great adds to a collection, but resale value isn’t there because there aren’t enough diehard pennant collectors out there who can recognize or appreciate the variation/rarity. We need to change that.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

Great pennants Marc. This is such a cool and untapped niche. I’m hooked on it too. So many rarities in the late 60s to early 80s. They are fun to find. The upside is there’s not a lot of competition for them so you can usually get them on the cheap. The downside is there’s not a lot of competition for them so you can get them on the cheap. They are great adds to a collection, but resale value isn’t there because there aren’t enough diehard pennant collectors out there who can recognize or appreciate the variation/rarity. We need to change that.
One of many reasons why it’s good to keep this thread going. I appreciate pennants primarily for the aesthetics. These and yearbook covers provide the best examples of “baseball art” in my opinion. My office at school has its share of both ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AA0E9BC-D96D-4E8C-9538-674BA64E45B4.jpg (20.2 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-24-2020 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Doug Goodman

Somebody sent me an email via the system regarding a Red Sox pennant, and via multiple less than intelligent keystrokes I accidentally deleted it.

Apologies.

Please resend...
Old 08-24-2020, 04:58 PM

New acquisition ... so I don’t really delve into football pennants but I liked the artwork and the condition looked good. I learned that this was the earliest Bills logo until 1962 (showing two players instead of one). As it turned out it is basically mint, and looks like it never saw daylight. I missed out on a companion royal blue Oilers pennant which was stunning. Anyway, this is the good news. The bad news is that now I think I have to complete an AFL set, with the trademark. I’m halfway to the original eight but I don’t have the Texans or Titans. That .... won’t be easy.

I’ve never seen a LA Chargers pennant with the AFL mark, has anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 378A4C16-C2D5-463C-839E-3E310C945BB6.jpg (20.8 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-24-2020 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:37 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

That's gorgeous... congrats on a great pickup, Greg.

I'll defer to Rob G. on your LA Chargers question....

But can assure you that you're in for a looooong wait (and stiff hit to the wallet), if/when you go after the Texans pennant. I have been trying for a few years, with no luck whatsoever. I was holding out for the yellow version (which I much prefer), and subsequently blew off a chance to buy a nice Red version at a decent price.

Big mistake... the only yellow one to surface since then looked like moth-induced swiss cheese (for a cool one grand). The Titans pennant will be much easier, and should run you less than $300. Good luck!
Old 08-24-2020, 06:40 PM
Rob

Quote:
That's gorgeous... congrats on a great pickup, Greg.

I'll defer to Rob G. on your LA Chargers question....

But can assure you that you're in for a looooong wait (and stiff hit to the wallet), if/when you go after the Texans pennant. I have been trying for a few years, with no luck whatsoever. I was holding out for the yellow version (which I much prefer), and subsequently blew off a chance to buy a nice Red version at a decent price.

Big mistake... the only yellow one to surface since then looked like moth-induced swiss cheese (for a cool one grand). The Titans pennant will be much easier, and should run you less than $300. Good luck!
There isn't a known AFL logo L.A. Chargers pennant. Not only have I never seen one, there's a Chargers super collector named Pete Lowry who hasn't either. He has pretty much every Chargers pennant known to exist. This provides a pretty good hint at when the AFL began to use a trade mark. Had to be 1962 (the Titans and Texans were gone in 1963) which I believe predates the NFL use of a trademark.

Another oddity (probably to only me) is that the Miami Dolphins don't have a single bar helmet pennant with the AFL logo but all other AFL teams do including the Bengals who became a team two years after the Dolphins.

Mark...How could you pass on a beautiful red Texans pennant!

Last edited by Fballguy; 08-24-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
There isn't a known AFL logo L.A. Chargers pennant. Not only have I never seen one, there's a Chargers super collector named Pete Lowry who hasn't either. He has pretty much every Chargers pennant known to exist. This provides a pretty good hint at when the AFL began to use a trade mark. Had to be 1962 (the Titans and Texans were gone in 1963) which I believe predates the NFL use of a trademark.

Another oddity (probably to only me) is that the Miami Dolphins don't have a single bar helmet pennant with the AFL logo but all other AFL teams do including the Bengals who became a team two years after the Dolphins.

Mark...How could you pass on a beautiful red Texans pennant!
Maybe 1961? Bills team website and sportslogos.net shows the above logo for only 1960-61. Of course the logo could have been retired without Trench caring to change.

Another thing I noticed ... the Chiefs AFL pennant has the chief in either white or gold (pennant color).

A red Texans pennant? Wow, never saw one.

I do know the white Packers 1961 picture pennant has the NFL trademark. It lists them as Champs though so maybe it was sold in ‘62.

Last edited by thetahat; 08-24-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:29 PM
Marc

Greg- which Oilers pennant was it that you missed?

Here are my recent Oilers pickups (from Fballguy)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oliers Red 18.jpg (73.1 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Oilers White.jpg (52.6 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 08-24-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Greg- which Oilers pennant was it that you missed?

Here are my recent Oilers pickups (from Fballguy)
Nice ones Marc ... this one here. Someone must have attended an early Bills-Oilers game and locked these away. I love the Oiler man graphic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 625EB678-40B3-465B-9010-C015DE038B38.jpg (19.7 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 06:02 AM
Rob

$40k for a pennant is way less ridiculous than $3.9m for a Trout rookie card (complete with his indecipherable signature).
Old 08-25-2020, 06:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
Maybe 1961? Bills team website and sportslogos.net shows the above logo for only 1960-61. Of course the logo could have been retired without Trench caring to change.

Another thing I noticed ... the Chiefs AFL pennant has the chief in either white or gold (pennant color).

A red Texans pennant? Wow, never saw one.

I do know the white Packers 1961 picture pennant has the NFL trademark. It lists them as Champs though so maybe it was sold in ‘62.
Yep you're right. I never noticed that primitive little logo on it. That must've been one of the first. The game was played on Dec 31, 1961, so safe to say the pennant came out in 1962. And now I notice the only other pennants to display an NFL trademark in the same time period are Trench photo pennants. But we know Trench wasn't the only company making NFL pennants at the time. Safe to assume trademarking started in the early 60s but wasn't enforced until the mid-late 60s.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:23 AM
Rob

Meant to include this photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Packers.jpg (78.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 AM
Marc

That is a nice copy of that Oliers AFL pennant, Greg. As you probably know, it is not super rare, but finding one in great condition isn't easy.

Here is my other recent Houston purchase. I already had the Black version. Glad to add this bold Orange version.

And Greg's post about the Oilers had me searching through the completed ebay listings (why do I do that?) and I noticed this rare "atomic" style (I've never see it before) Giants 1960s/1970s pennant that sold as a BIN before either Ooribay or I could get to it : (
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt 45s Orange.jpg (70.0 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg GIants hat pennant.jpg (78.6 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by bocca001; 08-25-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:03 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very cool Giants pennant for the era. The only other team I've seen using those baseballs "orbiting" around the Cap is the Phillies. I know the Astros 1960s-70s Logo used something similar as well (but without a Cap).

Gotta be rare... hope you can find one!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:38 AM
Rick

Quote:
That is a nice copy of that Oliers AFL pennant, Greg. As you probably know, it is not super rare, but finding one in great condition isn't easy.

Here is my other recent Houston purchase. I already had the Black version. Glad to add this bold Orange version.

And Greg's post about the Oilers had me searching through the completed ebay listings (why do I do that?) and I noticed this rare "atomic" style (I've never see it before) Giants 1960s/1970s pennant that sold as a BIN before either Ooribay or I could get to it : (
Looks like that pennant was snapped up within 20 minutes of being listed. I'm guessing JR may have grabbed it, he seems to actively search for good deals and grab them very quickly. You might try contacting him, he would probably flip it to you but the price might be kinda high.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:01 AM

That pennant with the orbiting baseballs was made for a bunch of teams actually, I think they are early to mid 70s. All of the ones I’ve seen are stiff felt. Here’s an Expos and Braves without the baseballs but seemingly from same maker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 78501BA1-7D16-44FC-BA16-CF624E06F511.jpg (13.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 96EFF2B5-694C-47B7-93AF-B88CFA8BF2A9.jpg (10.4 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-25-2020 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
Looks like that pennant was snapped up within 20 minutes of being listed. I'm guessing JR may have grabbed it, he seems to actively search for good deals and grab them very quickly. You might try contacting him, he would probably flip it to you but the price might be kinda high.
Are you referring to the Giants or the Oilers?
Old 08-25-2020, 11:07 AM
Rob

Quote:
Very cool Giants pennant for the era. The only other team I've seen using those baseballs "orbiting" around the Cap is the Phillies. I know the Astros 1960s-70s Logo used something similar as well (but without a Cap).

Gotta be rare... hope you can find one!
I have an A’s version as well. And I recognize the background in the Giants pic as belonging to a fellow Net54er...our good friend Erik C. This one sold pretty quickly if I’m remembering correctly.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:

Interesting ... my guess was that the color was super duper rare. I see it much more often in light blue.

Cool pickup with the orange Colts. They have great pennants. We’re taking about trademarks .... this brings to mind that Houston was one of the first to trademark their own logo; same with Astros. Referring to the little circled C inside the design, in the Colts it is to the right of the right gun handle and Astros at very bottom. .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EF2C8ADB-1697-4D7A-A229-D193FC8F305B.jpg (21.6 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg E828D10B-7DAA-4D11-8051-F9299A1E8C51.jpg (21.2 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 08-25-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:14 AM
Rick

Quote:
Sorry, meant the Giants. Haven’t checked on the Oilers pennant.
Old 08-25-2020, 12:58 PM
Rick

Quote:
The Oilers sold in 11 minutes to JR.

Rick
Old 08-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
The Oilers sold in 11 minutes to JR.

Rick
Ahhh...11 minutes? He must've been asleep at the switch. I've seen him strike faster than that.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:17 PM
Marc

About the blue Oilers, it does look dark. It's always hard for me to tell how different these things are sometimes based on picture quality.

How do you see who the buyer was on these items? (I know there is someway to at least look at the feedback number).

I tried to contact JR through ebay. We'll see what happens. If it was Erik who sold it, I feel kind of bad because I would have paid him more.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:13 PM
Erik

Quote:
I have an A’s version as well. And I recognize the background in the Giants pic as belonging to a fellow Net54er...our good friend Erik C. This one sold pretty quickly if I’m remembering correctly.
Great memory, Rob. Yeah, that's correct. It sold very quickly which made me wonder if I priced it too low! Egner purchased it (hope that's okay to mention). I go back and forth about auctions vs. buy-it-now. I rarely ask this group if interested - it's a good reminder to do so.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:28 PM
Erik

Quote:
New acquisition ... so I don’t really delve into football pennants but I liked the artwork and the condition looked good. I learned that this was the earliest Bills logo until 1962 (showing two players instead of one). As it turned out it is basically mint, and looks like it never saw daylight. I missed out on a companion royal blue Oilers pennant which was stunning. Anyway, this is the good news. The bad news is that now I think I have to complete an AFL set, with the trademark. I’m halfway to the original eight but I don’t have the Texans or Titans. That .... won’t be easy.

I’ve never seen a LA Chargers pennant with the AFL mark, has anyone?

I was very fortunate to get these two a few years back. There is a weird glare on the Texans one but it’s mint with no staining or holes. I’ve thought about going after this ‘set’ but I keep getting distracted!

I saw the same Bills pennant with no logo on it...does that suggest 60-62ish?

Old 08-25-2020, 03:42 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikc21 View Post
I was very fortunate to get these two a few years back. There is a weird glare on the Texans one but it’s mint with no staining or holes. I’ve thought about going after this ‘set’ but I keep getting distracted!

I saw the same Bills pennant with no logo on it...does that suggest 60-62ish?

Beautiful Erik!
Old 08-25-2020, 04:41 PM
Marc

I think Erik needs to make a Google photos page.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:22 PM
Erik

Quote:

Haha - I am happy to, but my collection is small and less impressive than many here. I have a handful of nice pieces, but nothing like the quality I’ve seen by the ‘usual suspects’. However, I’ll get these put together. I’ve been meaning to document anyway - a little motivation never hurts.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Co-signed!