NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Hockey, Olympic, Auto Racing And All Other Cards

Old 04-21-2021, 01:36 PM
Tom S

Default Goaltending debate

Throw the Stats out the window. Between 1994 and 1999 No goaltender meant more to his team than Hasek.

He played on a team that had a bargain basement budget. Virtually no offensive firepower at all. During the 96-97 season the Sabres were outshot in all but 2 games.

In the 1998 Stanley Cup playoffs against the Flyers, I remember thinking to myself when the Flyers would apply pressure in the Sabres end "Why are they trying so hard, Hasek is only going to stop whatever they fire at the net."

Brett Hull's goal in overtime in the 1999 Finals should not have been allowed. Shortly before he scored I remembered saying to myself. "Who is going to step up and score for the Sabres?" Hasek took a team with a 23 million dollar payroll to the finals against a team with a 33 million dollar payroll. The difference in salary was Hull,Nieuwendyk and Modano.

Aside from Lafontaine (concussion) and Mogilny (traded) who were teammates early in Hasek's Sabre career Name one teammate (please don't mention Grant Fuhr) who would even be remotely considered for the Hockey Hall of Fame?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:31 PM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
Throw the Stats out the window. Between 1994 and 1999 No goaltender meant more to his team than Hasek.

He played on a team that had a bargain basement budget. Virtually no offensive firepower at all. During the 96-97 season the Sabres were outshot in all but 2 games.

In the 1998 Stanley Cup playoffs against the Flyers, I remember thinking to myself when the Flyers would apply pressure in the Sabres end "Why are they trying so hard, Hasek is only going to stop whatever they fire at the net."

Brett Hull's goal in overtime in the 1999 Finals should not have been allowed. Shortly before he scored I remembered saying to myself. "Who is going to step up and score for the Sabres?" Hasek took a team with a 23 million dollar payroll to the finals against a team with a 33 million dollar payroll. The difference in salary was Hull,Nieuwendyk and Modano.

Aside from Lafontaine (concussion) and Mogilny (traded) who were teammates early in Hasek's Sabre career Name one teammate (please don't mention Grant Fuhr) who would even be remotely considered for the Hockey Hall of Fame?
Using the 1998-99 NHL season for comparison, Hasek....

- won 30 of his 64 games including 9 shutouts
- posted a 1.87 average throughout the season, 1.77 in the playoffs
- led his club to the final, but didn't win

Charlie Gardiner, in 1933-34 with the Chicago Black Hawks....

- won 20 of his 48 games including 10 shutouts
- posted a 1.63 average throughout the season, 1.33 in the playoffs
- led his club to the final, and won

Gardiner took the team with the LOWEST SCORING throughout the season to victory, while Hasek couldn't win with a team that was ranked 18th out of 27 for goals in 1998-99... hardly a team with no offense.
Old 04-22-2021, 02:53 PM
Tom S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
Using the 1998-99 NHL season for comparison, Hasek....

- won 30 of his 64 games including 9 shutouts
- posted a 1.87 average throughout the season, 1.77 in the playoffs
- led his club to the final, but didn't win

Charlie Gardiner, in 1933-34 with the Chicago Black Hawks....

- won 20 of his 48 games including 10 shutouts
- posted a 1.63 average throughout the season, 1.33 in the playoffs
- led his club to the final, and won

Gardiner took the team with the LOWEST SCORING throughout the season to victory, while Hasek couldn't win with a team that was ranked 18th out of 27 for goals in 1998-99... hardly a team with no offense.
Please re-read the first line of my comment. One season is not a 5 year period.

Sabres were the lowest scoring playoff team in their conference in 1999.

Maybe you can enlighten the readers of this thread about the differences in playoff formats, league size etc comparing 1934 and 1999. Leagues evolve over a 60 year period (some may say not necessarily for the better).

I have quite a bit of respect for the pioneers of the game. The era Charlie Gardiner played in was very colorful. One of his adversaries was a goaltender named Wilf Cude. Read up on him if you haven't done so.

I hope you know that 1934 was not only Charlie Gardiner's last stand as a hockey player but his last stand in life.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:06 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer brewster View Post
Please re-read the first line of my comment. One season is not a 5 year period.

Sabres were the lowest scoring playoff team in their conference in 1999.

Maybe you can enlighten the readers of this thread about the differences in playoff formats, league size etc comparing 1934 and 1999. Leagues evolve over a 60 year period (some may say not necessarily for the better).

I have quite a bit of respect for the pioneers of the game. The era Charlie Gardiner played in was very colorful. One of his adversaries was a goaltender named Wilf Cude. Read up on him if you haven't done so.

I hope you know that 1934 was not only Charlie Gardiner's last stand as a hockey player but his last stand in life.
With all due respect, no history lesson is needed... I've already given that.
Reading the comments here, it seems fair to say that some posters have limited knowledge about the game before the modern era, hence my pointing out that others in the past including Durnan and Gardiner - for example - have performed much better than Hasek.

Nothing complicated, just simple facts.
And regarding the "leagues evolve" comment....
The game since Hasek has played will continue to change....
will you think less of him as time goes forward, just because the game has evolved or changed?
Old 04-23-2021, 12:27 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Been to only one NHL game in my life: Leafs vs. Canes. Score was 2-2, I believe, and then Sundin scored the winner. My older cousin said "Canes suck." And they ended up winning the cup that season!

I prefer to watch the Marlies instead. Cheap tickets, and you can sit anywhere you want. The game is also fast and exciting!