NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-03-2004, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Yet another scammer - maybe adamsdad again...

Posted By: Dennis W.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5128076556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I sent this guy an email notifing him that the card he's trying to sell is a reprint and told him I'd report him if he didn't end his auction. Below is a portion of his reply:

"listen dumb****! i'm not a scammer...this card is real...let me explain your concerns and if you want to report me then do it...the sticker is a code the owner put on it for sale in his sto"re, the number under is ...30482930 i dont take paypal for one reason and one reason only "because people are frauds"...i sent a $44 card to someone who paid by paypal and he said he never received it, paypal was going to deduct the $44 from my account if i didnt show proof of a tracking number, which i did not have due to lack of experience, and ever since " I ALWAYS USE DELIVERY CONFRIMATION " maybe you should do your homework before you start accusing people, my 100% positive feedback shows im not a fraud,you must of woke up on the wrong side of the bed and saw my card and realized you cant afford it...go collect your $20-$30 cards...you cant afford this one"

This guy seems to have similiar traits as our friend adamsdad452000.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

adamsdad apparently thinks highly of him http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5117434056>

It's amazing how many people can't afford a $99 scanner (or perhaps even a steady hand), so their images will actually be in focus.

Old 10-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gary B.

this is a tough call. i received several e-mails from adamsdad, and this is one seems at least somewhat different in style, but it's hard to tell for sure. the fact that he went right for swearing insults is definitely reminiscent of adamsdad. i just can't imagine someone who was selling something legitimate reacting like that, but it's possible. it seems people who go way out of their way to defend themselves and give long involved reasons are trying to hide something.

the fact that he has a much higher feedback rating and at 100% makes me a little suspicious that it's the same person, but it's possible. i noticed one or two net54 members giving him positive feedback in the past.

now the card on the other hand is VERY suspect. don't you love how he goes out of his way to say "PSA 9 books for $66000, PSA 8 books for $13000, PSA 7 books for $3750, PSA 6 books for 2000?"

on top of that, this guy has a PRO graded 9 and is selling it for a buy it now of $3950? does that make any sense to anyone? is he afraid if he got it cross graded it would go from a 9 to a 6 and he'd be missing out? and the guy actually says he'll end the auction early for an offer on the card. can you even legally do that with ebay?

another argument of why it could be adamsdad is the angry add on to the description below his initial description which is something adamsdad did.

i would love to know his e-mail address (if anyone has it and wants to e-mail it to me - don't post it on the board) to see if it's one i recognize from adamsdad or has any similarities. Also, this guy lives 100 miles (supposedly) from where adamsdad was, both in california. don't know if that's significant, but it could be.

definitely one to watch...

Old 10-03-2004, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 823dek

That Green Cobb is a fake ! Obviously they are the same person of incohoots, be careful !

Old 10-05-2004, 02:19 PM
Administrator

and asked if he is affiliated adamsdad452000. He never responded but did end the auction.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:25 PM
Administrator

"I emailed him and asked if he is affiliated adamsdad452000. He never responded but did end the auction."

Well, isn't THAT interesting! BTW, thanks for e-mailing me the address of this person who put up this auction. The only thing in common is they're both yahoo accounts. That's telling in that a relatively unitelligent scammer would probably use the same e-mail company instead of being smart and using an entirely different company if they want to distance themselves from their other aliases, but it's nothing definitive by any stretch.

Very interesting indeed...

Old 10-05-2004, 02:31 PM
Administrator

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=213&item=5128642066&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

This time with private bidders.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Administrator

i e-mailed him and asked him a bunch of different questions about this auction - let's see if and how he responds.

Old 10-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

I think we're getting too many of these "scam" posts. This seller has a PRO card - everyone on the board knows what that means. The adamsdad guy was just a fly-by-night loser. If a seller responds to a question with a bunch of threats, that's a dead giveaway that they're bad.

If a seller breaks 2 or 3 (or 8 or 9) of David's collector tips, that should be enough to warrant reporting them and moving on. I see a bunch of collecting threads getting bumped down by ones about scammers who, frankly, wouldn't fool anyone reading here.

Bill

Old 10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Administrator

i think the point is trying to pool our knowledge and mount telling evidence that can be submitted to ebay to try and get scammers booted from ebay. eveyone here wouldn't be fooled, it's the people who don't know nearly as much that i would hope to protect from gettting scammed.

as a larger point though, is there any way to create separate forums within net54, so perhaps the main one could be vintage card collecting, one could be just for posts about scammers, one could be post-war card collecting, modern baseball, one that's completely off-topic, etc.?

i enjoy talking about vintage card collecting, but find myself also interested in topics that are related and get talked about here like ebay scams for vintage cards, modern players breaking old records by people whose cards vintage collectors collect, the playoffs, etc. i know sometimes you let OT topics go like posts about the post-season, and i'm guessing the reason for that is because most people here follow modern baseball, are very interested in the playoffs and since it's something significant in baseball that happens once a year, it's tolerated.

just asking. i've been part of many other forums where there are different sections as opposed to one large forum for everything, so different topics can be disucssed that aren't exactly the main topic for the website. generally there's one main forum and then a few other forums that get fewer posts, but that can be used for those interested, and those who know they don't want to read about scammers at all (for example) could ignore that forum entirely. i think it might be nice for many people here who would like to be able to veer off from vintage card collecting, and that way the posts strictly about vintage cards could be in the main section without getting bogged down by slightly or overtly off-topic posts.

also, a lot of people here are friends, and sometimes they want to know what other people think of ichiro suzuki or talk about other somewhat off topic issues, but don't want to create posts they know will be reomved becuase they're irrelevant to vintage pre-war card collecting. i completely realize that there are other forums on the internet where these other related or unrelated topics can be talked about exclusively, and of course i could go there for that, and do sometimes, but then i'm losing the responses of net54 people who are very knowledgable about these other topics and will give unique perspectives that other boards don't. what do you think? hope you don't mind me asking, just an idea...

Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

And it's one that I've lobbied for in the past as a matter of fact. I'd like to see the forum broken down into categories such as the following (these are merely suggestions):

Prewar/vintage cards (main forum)

Ebay (scams, sellers, etc)

Buy-sell-trade

Vintage photography (Scott's forum could just be merged)

Off-topic (ramblings, playoff talk, etc)

I think this format would open up alot of possibilities for the forum. The CU forum has a similar format, and from what I've seen, it would be a good way of solving the problem of a cluttered main forum. I'd be especially excited about the seperate BST section, as it would allow people alot more freedom to make seperate posts about specific cards for trade, wantlists, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the way the forum has improved, and am not expressing dissatisfaction with the status quo. But, I do think this kind of a change would improve things even further. What does everyone else think?

Old 10-05-2004, 05:10 PM
Administrator

your category suggestions are even better than mine.

Old 10-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Bill,

Although I'm relatively new to the forum I think Ben and Gary make good points. I know that this forum, especially the ebay scam related posts, has helped me a great deal in the past - not to mention possibly saving me money on bogus cards. Thanks everyone. I also hope that the few posts I've started or thread responses I've given have helped someone.

How many times have we read here "I wish I had discovered your forum before I spent my money"? I always refer people to this forum, or specific threads in this forum, when asked about authenticity or seller credibility matters that I can't easily answer. I happen to also believe ebay scammers peddling bogus vintage cards are much more on topic than many other threads - look down the list of the current threads and see how many are straying from the topic. I, too, enjoy those threads.

I will not post anymore scam related threads as per your request. I would like to know, though, if this forum is specifically geared to a handful of longtimers to discuss their own collections, musings and whatever else. If so - I can take a hint.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

When I saw this thread, and some of the responses, it really made me scratch my head. The card is NOT a reprint, it's probably trimmed though. And the seller is NOT Adamsdad - I've corresponded with both sellers and they are definitely two different people.

If you contact someone who is selling a real card and accuse him of selling a reprint, I don't blame him for getting pissed off. Same for the Cobb green portrait - it's probably not a fake, yet some of you seem certain that it is. Why? Adamsdad bought several real cards, so there's no reason to think this one isn't real - it certainly looks real.

But regarding the category ideas - I tried breaking off a "non-sports" forum at one point so that people who were interested hockey, etc., would have a place to chat without boring everyone else. It didn't fly, but the sports photography thing is working out quite well.

I would suggest that one of you who is really interested in the scammer thing create a separate forum as well, and maybe Bill could add a link to it.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Perhaps I should've qualified my statement as being my own opinion. We added David's "Beginning Collector's Tips" after the last scammer go-round here to provide a guideline for buying, but I get the distinct feeling that it's going unnoticed. My concern is that scam threads tend to multiply soon after they start, but if we mention every PRO card seller or zero feedback scammer on eBay, those threads will overwhelm everything else. I wish that people would use the search feature - I admit to getting testy when questions are asked that have been answered multiple times before.

The idea of having a few different forums with one front page is a good one, and it's possible to do. I'll see what 's involved and let you know.

Bill

Old 10-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Administrator

I really think that could be a big solution to off topic posts in general. This way no one will feel too limited by what they can or cannot post, they'll just have to make sure they're posting it in the appropriate forum.

Old 10-10-2004, 10:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

so it didnt reach the reserve, how do you know its a reprint or not? looks pretty good should i make an offer and how much?