NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-02-2022, 08:02 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Default Cost basis - Warning tax related topic

This has probably been discussed here previously, but I did search and couldn't find. I'm wondering how people determine the cost basis of a card (or any item) bought in a lot. If I buy a collection of 10,000 cards for $1000 dollars, then sell one card for $500 and keep the rest, is the cost basis of that card 10 cents?

Similarly, what is an acceptable way to determine cost basis for cards which you have no buying records of (most of my collection)? Surely, many here have crossed this bridge.

PS...Sorry for bringing the dreaded tax topic up, but there's a lot of people out there who will be trying to figure this out for the first time this year. If not interested, please scroll on.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

The simple answer is to allocate the cost based on relative values of the items acquired.

Naturally, there’s potentially a lot of room for interpretation there.

Some people like to look at various price databases, potentially including SMR, cardtarget, or others that are out there to attempt to assign those relative values. My experience is that almost every item has a potential range of values, and you could spent an entire career trying to get the math right. My approach is to spend a little time on it, get it close enough that it seems reasonable, and then move on.

Based on your example, it’s not uncommon for one (or two or three) item(s) to be a lot more valuable than the rest. Certainly it’s possible that $500 of your initial cost should be allocated to the item you sold, so you have no gain on that sale. Naturally, if you go selling 3 or 4 of them for $500 apiece, then you’re going to have a gain in there somewhere!
Old 09-02-2022, 08:33 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

I believe the least objectionable method from the IRS point of view would be to assess the relative value to each card in the lot. So, for instance, if you paid $10,000 for a box that had 999 1987 Topps commons and a PSA 2 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth, the cost basis for the Babe Ruth would be $9999 and the remaining 999 commons would have a combined cost basis of $1. If you try to claim the Babe Ruth cost basis is $10 in that scenario, prepare for some nice penalties and interest at the conclusion of your audit.

Generally, it is your job to prove to the IRS auditor (or ultimately the tax court) that you reasonably allocated the cost basis of multiple cards in a lot. If your method sounds the least bit sketchy or skewed in your favor, it is unlikely to fly with the IRS. In fact, my limited experience in audits is that even if you do act reasonably and fairly in preparing your taxes, you have the additional hurdle of having to educate a skeptical auditor about a hobby or business that does not understand it as well as you do (which actually hurts, not helps you in most cases).
Old 09-02-2022, 08:50 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarti5051 View Post
I believe the least objectionable method from the IRS point of view would be to assess the relative value to each card in the lot. So, for instance, if you paid $10,000 for a box that had 999 1987 Topps commons and a PSA 2 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth, the cost basis for the Babe Ruth would be $9999 and the remaining 999 commons would have a combined cost basis of $1. If you try to claim the Babe Ruth cost basis is $10 in that scenario, prepare for some nice penalties and interest at the conclusion of your audit.

Generally, it is your job to prove to the IRS auditor (or ultimately the tax court) that you reasonably allocated the cost basis of multiple cards in a lot. If your method sounds the least bit sketchy or skewed in your favor, it is unlikely to fly with the IRS. In fact, my limited experience in audits is that even if you do act reasonably and fairly in preparing your taxes, you have the additional hurdle of having to educate a skeptical auditor about a hobby or business that does not understand it as well as you do (which actually hurts, not helps you in most cases).
Scott, I would think the IRS would be delighted if the person sold the Ruth and declared a cost basis of $10 on his tax return, thereby paying a significant amount of tax on his profit.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 09-02-2022, 08:59 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Makes sense guys...Thank you for the advice. It does raise the next question. How can you prove what else came in the lot?

And can you use reasonable value (average of recent sales) as a cost basis cards you don't have receipts for? Do you have translate those values to market value in the year you bought the card?

PS...What a nightmare for the casual seller.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupe the Second Sacker View Post
Makes sense guys...Thank you for the advice. It does raise the next question. How can you prove what else came in the lot?

And can you use reasonable value (average of recent sales) as a cost basis cards you don't have receipts for? Do you have translate those values to market value in the year you bought the card?

In terms of proving what came in the lot, you probably have a receipt from the auction or purchase. If you were extra paranoid about the details not being spelled out, you could always sit down and document it when you acquired the lot.

In theory, you should be using relative current market values to allocate the purchase price between the items acquired.

Is it a nightmare for a casual seller? I'm guessing that a casual seller doesn't sell a lot, or at least not in high dollar amounts. And if I had to guess, they probably don't worry about attempting to report it on their taxes. Not that I would ever encourage such scofflaw behavior!
Old 09-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
In terms of proving what came in the lot, you probably have a receipt from the auction or purchase. If you were extra paranoid about the details not being spelled out, you could always sit down and document it when you acquired the lot.

In theory, you should be using relative current market values to allocate the purchase price between the items acquired.

Is it a nightmare for a casual seller? I'm guessing that a casual seller doesn't sell a lot, or at least not in high dollar amounts. And if I had to guess, they probably don't worry about attempting to report it on their taxes. Not that I would ever encourage such scofflaw behavior!
For items purchased at an auction house or ebay, yes there are receipts. But shows? Responding to ads in the paper? No receipts.

I don't follow the "relative current market values" comment. If I bought a Pete Rose card at a show 15 years ago and don't remember what I paid...what is the cost basis? Not talking about a lot here...individual cards.

I think there are plenty of casual sellers that sell over $600 in a year. That's not difficult to do, especially these days.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupe the Second Sacker View Post

When I was selling a lot on ebay, most of my stuff was inexpensive. And even my better items had cost me very little.

What we did was report it as a hobby business, and simply made our cost 0 paying tax on the full gross.
That was actually close enough to reality that the time spent on documenting the cost and profit for everything would have "cost" more than we paid.
And hobby businesses as far as I know can't claim losses.

Did I overpay on taxes? Yes, I sure did. Did I save hours of paperwork? Yes.
Old 09-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Bo.b Per.ez

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
When I was selling a lot on ebay, most of my stuff was inexpensive. And even my better items had cost me very little.

What we did was report it as a hobby business, and simply made our cost 0 paying tax on the full gross.
That was actually close enough to reality that the time spent on documenting the cost and profit for everything would have "cost" more than we paid.
And hobby businesses as far as I know can't claim losses.

Did I overpay on taxes? Yes, I sure did. Did I save hours of paperwork? Yes.
I have a problem with that just on principle. My paycheck is being squeezed enough.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:34 AM
sc0tt_kirkn.er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Scott, I would think the IRS would be delighted if the person sold the Ruth and declared a cost basis of $10 on his tax return, thereby paying a significant amount of tax on his profit.
You are correct. I had it backwards. I shouldn't write responses 3 minutes after waking up. Better example. You sell the 999 1987 commons as a lot for $2 and claim a cost basis of $9990, then bundle that tax loss with other card sales with net gains to reduce income while holding the Ruth in your PC with the remaining cost basis of $10 (until you die and your heirs get the stepped-up basis). This may not end well if you are flagged for the audit.

I am going to stop typing before I give other stupid examples before the caffeine kicks in.