NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2024, 07:46 PM
Jeremy

Ted Williams homered in his final at bat...three different times. When he went back to war in 1952, nearing 34 years old, many thought he wouldn't come back and this would be his last at bat. He homered. All through 1954, he told people this was his last season, and he didn't play the first couple of months of 1955 because he was going through a nasty divorce and didn't want his wife getting alimony. He homered in his last at bat of 1954. And then, of course, he homered in his last at bat of 1960.
192/240 1933 Goudeys (Ruth #144, #149, Gehrig #92)
126/208 T205s
28/108? Diamond Stars
Old 01-20-2024, 08:08 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Tony Gwynn had more four hit games (45)
Than Games with more than one strike out (34)
33 Were 2 strike out games .. he struck out three times only once

Last edited by Beercan collector; 01-20-2024 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Too many words
Old 01-20-2024, 08:12 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

What a shame that Teddy Z is no longer with us. I am sure he could have added many nuggets to this post.
Old 01-20-2024, 08:16 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

The Minnesota Twins have been in three World Series. Each time they won Games 1 and 2 (at home,) lost Games 3, 4, and 5 (on the road,) and won Game 6 (at home.)
Old 01-20-2024, 08:37 PM
Charles Jackson

Hughie Jennings was hit by a pitch a record 272 times over 5,648 Plate Appearances. This included a stretch of 5 seasons, where he was hit a total of 202 times.

Ruben Sierra closed out his career with 15 straight years without being hit by a pitch over 5,769 Plate Appearances.
Old 01-20-2024, 09:41 PM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
What a shame that Teddy Z is no longer with us. I am sure he could have added many nuggets to this post.
He would have posted something like this:

What a great thread. Ted Williams's 3 last at bat home runs. How amazing is that? Each one could easily have been the last one. Let me add that if Johnny Vander Meer and Don Larsen never did another thing, throwing back-to-back no hitters and a perfect game in the World Series is more than enough. Can't see anyone topping those anytime soon. Or Joltin' Joe's 56 game hit streak, either.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-20-2024, 10:14 PM
Matthew Glidden

Three players hit a homer in their only PA for a franchise

* Les "Buster" Narum (BAL) May 3, 1963
* Jamie Quirk (CLE) Sept 27, 1984
* Gustavo Chacin (HOU) May 31, 2010

Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest-running on-line collecting club. Find us at oldbaseball.com.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:59 PM
Ross B.

In 1903, Joe McGinnity started and completed both games of a double-header three times in one month, winning all 6 games.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240120_235817.jpg (95.4 KB, 251 views)
Old 01-20-2024, 11:20 PM
Eric Perry

As a pitcher, A.G. Spalding won over 250 games.

In a six year stretch.

By the time he was barely 26 years old.

He also has the highest all-time career win/loss percentage in baseball history.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 01-20-2024 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 01:33 AM

On August 17, 1957 at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia, Alice Roth was struck in the face by a foul ball off the bat of Richie Ashburn, resulting in a broken nose. After a brief delay for medical staff to attend to Ms. Roth, on the very next pitch, Ashburn lined another foul and hit the woman as she was being carried off on a stretcher. That ball broke a bone in her leg.

Brian
Old 01-21-2024, 02:59 AM

And of course in 2019, the Washington Nationals won the first two (on the road), lost the next three (at home), and won the sixth (on the road).

Bizzarro world stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
The Minnesota Twins have been in three World Series. Each time they won Games 1 and 2 (at home,) lost Games 3, 4, and 5 (on the road,) and won Game 6 (at home.)
Old 01-21-2024, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
Not trying to be argumentative, but it doesn't look like Harder came close to getting the 75% needed to get in with the regular voting. Which election are you referring to where he got enough votes but was not inducted? Was it one of the versions of the Veteran's Committee? It's harder to find percentages for those, especially for the earlier incarnations of the committee.

It happened with the Veteran's Committee in 1999. He received the 75% needed, but two other players received more. At the time, only two were to be elected, so Mel was out even though he was "in".

Both Harder and Travis seem like such ideal Veteran's Committee picks, too. With the caliber of baseball surrounding them in the 1930's-40's AL, it's no surprise that they'd be lost to time and thought for an extended period. What bothers me, though, is that Mel received enough votes, was subsequently locked out on a technicality, and apparently just never thought of again for the next quarter century?!

I suppose that it shouldn't bother me so much, because I doubt it bothered Mel. He was so incredibly kind and humble and would have done Cooperstown proud in a similar way to his teammate Joe Sewell. He had also been in poor health those last few years of his life, and maybe it was a blessing in its own way. He would have zapped whatever strength he had replying to the additional boatload of autograph requests, including a handwritten letter in each envelope.

Another great Harder fact that fits in to the theme of this thread: Mel actually threw the first and the last pitches at Municipal Stadium. Going by memory from my visit to his place, regarding that final pitch, he said, "I barely got it over the plate." Well, Mel, you were 83 years old...

[This inspired me to check YouTube to watch that moment for the first time. Thankfully, somebody with a HandyCam was filming it and has uploaded their shaky footage. It was a ridiculously high pitch, but Mel did much more than "barely get it over the plate". His statement just speaks more to his incredibly humble nature.]

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-21-2024 at 03:47 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:21 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

"On August 17, 1957 at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia, Alice Roth was struck in the face by a foul ball off the bat of Richie Ashburn, resulting in a broken nose. After a brief delay for medical staff to attend to Ms. Roth, on the very next pitch, Ashburn lined another foul and hit the woman as she was being carried off on a stretcher. That ball broke a bone in her leg."

Winner, winner; chicken, dinner!
Old 01-21-2024, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
"On August 17, 1957 at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia, Alice Roth was struck in the face by a foul ball off the bat of Richie Ashburn, resulting in a broken nose. After a brief delay for medical staff to attend to Ms. Roth, on the very next pitch, Ashburn lined another foul and hit the woman as she was being carried off on a stretcher. That ball broke a bone in her leg."

Winner, winner; chicken, dinner!
Makes you wonder how much Ms. Roth bore a resemblance to Ruth Ann Steinhagen and he was out for retribution!
Old 01-21-2024, 05:25 AM

Default Fun Facts

Going into the final 10 days of his remarkable career, no one had ever pinch hit for Ted Williams, arguably baseball’s greatest all-time hitter. Then, on September 20, 1960 in the first inning against the Baltimore Orioles, Ted fouled a ball off his instep, painfully limping into the dugout….he could not return. Carol Hardy was called off the bench to pinch hit for “The Kid” and promptly lined into a double play. A truly historic moment for Hardy who will forever be dubbed as the only man to ever pinch hit for the iconic Ted Williams!

Interestingly enough, right-fielder Sammy Vick is “allegedly” the only player to ever pinch hit for baseball’s other premier slugger, Babe Ruth. The Babe and Vick played together on the 1920 Yankees, Ruth replacing Vick as the Yankees right fielder. Vick insisted for years that Miller Huggins selected him to pinch hit for Ruth in a 1920 game due to the Bambino straining his wrist. Unfortunately, Vick never applied an actual date to his story, and based on baseball reference, there is no official account of this occurrence.

Last edited by Vintageclout; 01-21-2024 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-21-2024, 05:57 AM
Guy Bourque

Hitting for the Natural cycle (14) is more rare then throwing a perfect game (24)
Old 01-21-2024, 06:33 AM
John I.

Masaichi Kaneda became a regular starter for the Koketsu Swallows at 16. From 1951 (age 17) to 1964 (age 30) he threw between 300 and 400 innings, won between 20 and 31 games and struck out between 229 and 350 batters every single year. By the end of his age 30 season he had won 353 games and struck out 4065 batters. Over the next five seasons, from 1965 to the end of his career, he won 47 games and struck out 425 batters.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:52 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
Hitting for the Natural cycle (14) is more rare then throwing a perfect game (24)
What’s a natural cycle if I may ask?

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-21-2024 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:57 AM
John I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
What’s a natural cycle if I may ask?
A natural cycle is hitting a single, double, triple, and home run in that order.

I once got one in Strat-O-Matic.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1941 View Post
A natural cycle is hitting a single, double, triple, and home run in that order.

I once got one in Strat-O-Matic.
Thanks.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:19 AM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B View Post
It happened with the Veteran's Committee in 1999. He received the 75% needed, but two other players received more. At the time, only two were to be elected, so Mel was out even though he was "in".

Both Harder and Travis seem like such ideal Veteran's Committee picks, too. With the caliber of baseball surrounding them in the 1930's-40's AL, it's no surprise that they'd be lost to time and thought for an extended period. What bothers me, though, is that Mel received enough votes, was subsequently locked out on a technicality, and apparently just never thought of again for the next quarter century?!

I suppose that it shouldn't bother me so much, because I doubt it bothered Mel. He was so incredibly kind and humble and would have done Cooperstown proud in a similar way to his teammate Joe Sewell. He had also been in poor health those last few years of his life, and maybe it was a blessing in its own way. He would have zapped whatever strength he had replying to the additional boatload of autograph requests, including a handwritten letter in each envelope.

Another great Harder fact that fits in to the theme of this thread: Mel actually threw the first and the last pitches at Municipal Stadium. Going by memory from my visit to his place, regarding that final pitch, he said, "I barely got it over the plate." Well, Mel, you were 83 years old...

[This inspired me to check YouTube to watch that moment for the first time. Thankfully, somebody with a HandyCam was filming it and has uploaded their shaky footage. It was a ridiculously high pitch, but Mel did much more than "barely get it over the plate". His statement just speaks more to his incredibly humble nature.]
Thank you. I was not aware of this and it's always good to learn something new.
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:25 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Yeah, I've always said there'd be no argument from me on that idea.

Both Cecil and his contemporary Mel Harder, who was a friend of mine, need to be put in there. Harder has the strange distinction of getting enough votes but NOT being inducted (?!). He could have lived to see it happen, too. Stupid, stupid "institution", Cooperstown is.
I'm not familiar with the careers of either Cecil Travis or Mel Harder. Looking at their stats, it looks like Travis may have had a chance to be in the Hall of Fame until he missed 3 years for military service. When he came back after WWII, he was clearly no longer the same player and was out of the majors at age 33. I can see an argument being made for him being inducted, but he probably needed a few more good years that he likely would have had if not for being in the military.

As for Harder, his stats show 4 or 5 very good seasons but overall it looks to me that he had a solid career but not one that makes me think he definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame. Regarding him getting 75% of the vote from the Veterans Committee but not getting in because 2 others were higher, does anyone have a link to the actual voting results showing that? I found a few places that mention it happened but couldn't find the actual results anywhere. If it was in 1999, then it looks like the Veterans Committee elected 4 people that year not 2.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/in...ss%20of%201999.

Last edited by jayshum; 01-21-2024 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
I'm not familiar with the careers of either Cecil Travis or Mel Harder. Looking at their stats, it looks like Travis may have had a chance to be in the Hall of Fame until he missed 3 years for military service. When he came back after WWII, he was clearly no longer the same player and was out of the majors at age 33. I can see an argument being made for him being inducted, but he probably needed a few more good years that he likely would have had if not for being in the military.

As for Harder, his stats show 4 or 5 very good seasons but overall it looks to me that he had a solid career but not one that makes me think he definitely belongs in the Hall of Fame. Regarding him getting 75% of the vote from the Veterans Committee but not getting in because 2 others were higher, does anyone have a link to the actual voting results showing that? I found a few places that mention it happened but couldn't find the actual results anywhere. If it was in 1999, then it looks like the Veterans Committee elected 4 people that year not 2.

https://baseballhall.org/discover/in...ss%20of%201999.
What you say about Travis has always been the biggest strike against him.

With Mel, it's the old, "Well, if he played in New York, he'd have been a shoe-in!" argument. Alas, Mel was with the lowly Indians for his entire career, retiring the season before he'd perhaps have had a chance to win a WS ring as a player. I supposed the same could be said for Travis, as he played in Washington, but I think the argument is stronger in this regard for a 20-year career, single team man.

I agree with your assessments as to why they're not in, and most certainly why they weren't good candidates immediately following their careers, but the "why not's" are also there and they always looked like solid picks as VC selections. Lots of worse and more embarrassing selections, to be certain. I would not be embarrassed to see these two guys voted in.

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 01-21-2024 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:52 AM
Michael

I saw that four were elected that year, but apparently they could elect two "regular" veterans, plus (in two separate ballots) one from the 19th century and one Negro Leaguer. At least if I am understanding the rules correctly. As for the actual voting, I can't find the totals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1999.JPG (85.4 KB, 239 views)
My avatar is a drawing of a 1958 Topps Hank Aaron by my daughter. If you are interested in one in a similar style based on the card of your choice, details can be found by searching threads with the title phrase Custom Baseball Card Artwork or by PMing me.

Last edited by molenick; 01-21-2024 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:12 AM
Andy H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Willie Mays started and finished their careers in the same city but with different teams.
I just got a 1973 Topps Willie Mays a few weeks back. He was pretty much done by the time he came to Queens but seeing the greatest player ever in a Mets uniform warms my heart. Happy they retired his number finally.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 01-21-2024, 08:21 AM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
On August 17, 1957 at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia, Alice Roth was struck in the face by a foul ball off the bat of Richie Ashburn, resulting in a broken nose. After a brief delay for medical staff to attend to Ms. Roth, on the very next pitch, Ashburn lined another foul and hit the woman as she was being carried off on a stretcher. That ball broke a bone in her leg.

Brian
I grew up watching and listening to Phillies games. Richie Ashburn was a broadcaster during those years. This story came up from time to time. Richie apparently kept in touch with her throughout the years.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-21-2024, 08:27 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
What you say about Travis has always been the biggest strike against him.

With Mel, it's the old, "Well, if he played in New York, he'd have been a shoe-in!" argument. Alas, Mel was with the lowly Indians for his entire career, retiring the season before he'd perhaps have had a chance to win a WS ring as a player. I supposed the same could be said for Travis, as he played in Washington, but I think the argument is stronger in this regard for a 20-year career, single team man.

I agree with your assessments as to why they're not in, and most certainly why they weren't good candidates immediately following their careers, but the "why not's" are also there and they always looked like solid picks as VC selections. Lots of worse and more embarrassing selections, to be certain. I would not be embarrassed to see these two guys voted in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by molenick View Post
I saw that four were elected that year, but apparently they could elect two "regular" veterans, plus (in two separate ballots) one from the 19th century and one Negro Leaguer. At least if I am understanding the rules correctly. As for the actual voting, I can't find the totals.
Neither would be the worst picks made by the Veterans Committee that's for sure.

Without seeing the actual voting results, I find it hard to believe Harder really got 75% of the vote but didn't get inducted. Given how much discussion there is about Hall of Fame voting every year, I would think something like that happening would be more documented and written about than just a few claims that it happened without any real evidence provided. I could be wrong because the Veterans Committee voting was not always well reported, but it seems like something like that happening would be well known.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:45 AM
James M.

Quote:
John,

Ted and I often spoke over email about how underappreciated Johnny Mize was as a ballplayer. To channel the spirit of Ted, and give an interesting Johnny Mize fact:

Mize played for the Great Lakes Naval Station baseball team, during the war where he hit .475, and smacked 17 homers in 51 games. He played with other notable major leaguers including Dom DiMaggio, Phil Rizzuto, Sam Chapman, Johnny Lipon, and Pee Wee Reese. It's considered to be one of the best World War II teams ever assembled.

Ted and I also spoke a lot about Joe Page, former relief pitcher for the New York Yankees, who held the record for most victories as a reliever, until it was broken by Luis Arroyo. Page was very versatile and was a bit ahead of his time. One of the first "closers" out there!

- James

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:56 AM
Michael

Speaking of Johnny Mize, in 1947 he hit 51 home runs and struck out 42 times. I don't know if that is a record ("most home runs in a season where you had fewer strikeouts than home runs") but I was not able to find anyone who beat 51.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:10 AM

Reminds me of a piece I once owned. The original collector had found a way to combine two hobbies into one: baseball autographs, and writing to postmasters in obscure towns for hand cancellations featuring names related to the autograph collection. I still have one or two from this assemblage, but the page is long gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg page, joe (1949)5 INV 12-6-2015 GONE.jpg (181.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 01-21-2024, 09:41 AM
Ge0rge Tr0end1e

Default Cecil Travis

A few squirts re Cecil:

< Prior to beginning his almost four years in uniform, Travis had a career batting average of .327; after 800 post-war at-bats he finished at .314, which is still the all-time record for an American League shortstop and third overall at shortstop behind Honus Wagner and Arky Vaughan.

< In August 1947 when Cecil retired, the Senators celebrated "Cecil Travis Night", which was attended by former Supreme Allied Commander, Dwight Eisenhower; Travis was showered with gifts, including a fancy DeSoto automobile and a 1,500-pound Hereford bull.

< Despite frostbite suffered during the Battle of the Bulge, Travis refused to blame his military service for derailing his baseball career: saying simply, that his four years away from the game were "too long." He said, "We had a job to do, an obligation, and we did it. I was hardly the only one."

< Bob Feller and Ted Williams lobbied unsuccessfully for Travis' Hall of Fame induction. But as Travis philosophically said: "I was a good player, but I wasn't a great one."

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1705855237
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936R313NationalChicleFinePensTravis3746Front.jpg (90.0 KB, 239 views)
Old 01-21-2024, 11:11 AM
J@mes In.gram

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPoto View Post
A few squirts re Cecil:

< Prior to beginning his almost four years in uniform, Travis had a career batting average of .327; after 800 post-war at-bats he finished at .314, which is still the all-time record for an American League shortstop and third overall at shortstop behind Honus Wagner and Arky Vaughan.

< In August 1947 when Cecil retired, the Senators celebrated "Cecil Travis Night", which was attended by former Supreme Allied Commander, Dwight Eisenhower; Travis was showered with gifts, including a fancy DeSoto automobile and a 1,500-pound Hereford bull.

< Despite frostbite suffered during the Battle of the Bulge, Travis refused to blame his military service for derailing his baseball career: saying simply, that his four years away from the game were "too long." He said, "We had a job to do, an obligation, and we did it. I was hardly the only one."

< Bob Feller and Ted Williams lobbied unsuccessfully for Travis' Hall of Fame induction. But as Travis philosophically said: "I was a good player, but I wasn't a great one."

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1705855237
Great post, sir. You summed it up perfectly.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 01-21-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgjackson222 View Post
University of Michigan has George Sisler, Charlie Gehringer and Barrly Larkin.

USC produced Randy Johnson, and both Don Sutton and Tom Seaver also went there for a year.

Still pretty amazing that Columbia produced 3 HOFers.

Speaking of Lou Gehrig--not everyone knows what a well-rounded athlete he was. He had football scholarship to Columbia and was their pitching Ace. His greatest mound performance came on April 18, 1923, the same day that Yankee Stadium opened, in a game against Williams College. Gehrig struck out 17 batters, setting a school record that stands to this day.
This is a very interesting topic. Eddie Collins graduated from Columbia University and John Ward received a law degree from Columbia. Amazing considering John Ward's parents passed away when he was a teenager and he got his law degree in his late twenties while playing professional baseball. Lou Gehrig left after his sophomore year to play pro baseball. Barry Larkin went back to Michigan to complete his degree in 2010!
Old 01-21-2024, 04:07 PM
Scott Russell

How about combining sports and cards? Reggie Smith hit 314 Home runs in his career. His rookie card is #314. I've never found another similar player.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-22-2024, 07:32 AM
Michael

When I was a kid learning about baseball history, I thought it was cool that several records matched the years they were set in: Alexander's 16 shutouts in 1916, Hornsby's .424 in 1924*, Maris's 61 in 1961.

* When I was learning about baseball stats, this was considered to be the highest single season average. This was before the Macmillan Encyclopedia which adjusted Lajoie's 1901 average from .422 to .426 (if I remember correctly) and which brought more recognition to 19th century statistics, which sometimes were excluded (people would say Hornsby had the "modern record" and Duffy was more of a footnote).

Last edited by molenick; 01-22-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:28 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Makes you wonder how much Ms. Roth bore a resemblance to Ruth Ann Steinhagen and he was out for retribution!
Well, Riche was always a singles hitter anyhow.
Old 01-22-2024, 12:36 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
John,

Ted and I often spoke over email about how underappreciated Johnny Mize was as a ballplayer. To channel the spirit of Ted, and give an interesting Johnny Mize fact:

Mize played for the Great Lakes Naval Station baseball team, during the war where he hit .475, and smacked 17 homers in 51 games. He played with other notable major leaguers including Dom DiMaggio, Phil Rizzuto, Sam Chapman, Johnny Lipon, and Pee Wee Reese. It's considered to be one of the best World War II teams ever assembled.

Ted and I also spoke a lot about Joe Page, former relief pitcher for the New York Yankees, who held the record for most victories as a reliever, until it was broken by Luis Arroyo. Page was very versatile and was a bit ahead of his time. One of the first "closers" out there!

- James
James, so glad you got to know Ted and talk baseball. He was a wonderful guy and I am still in shock he is no longer with us. Best, your shipmate
Old 01-22-2024, 12:51 PM
James M.

Quote:
James, so glad you got to know Ted and talk baseball. He was a wonderful guy and I am still in shock he is no longer with us. Best, your shipmate
My biggest regret was that we didn't correspond more often, maybe once a month. I treasure the Phil Rizzuto card that I purchased from him, as we always spoke about Scooter as well. It's amazing how the Hobby and baseball history allowed two people connect that were a touch over 50 years apart in age! Teds legacy will live on, as I'm sure we will talk about him until the cows come home. I pointed this out, in another thread, that he's probably debating with Jefferson Burdick in the great beyond!

Another interesting piece of trivia bringing up both Ted and Phil Rizzuto. Phil Rizzuto was the only player in the history of Major League Baseball to lead the league in Sacrifice Hits in the same year that he won MVP!

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 01-22-2024 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:04 PM
Joh.n Spen.cer

Well, here is one back: I dated Phil Rizutto's daughter, Penny, in college. Ted knew her well and approved.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:42 PM
Ch@d

Quote:
Well, here is one back: I dated Phil Rizutto's daughter, Penny, in college. Ted knew her well and approved.
Whoa, you just jarred loose an old memory! My roommate in college dated Tommy John's daughter. I believe her name was Tamara IIRC.
successful deals with hcv123, rholmes, robw1959, Yankees1964, theuclakid, Brian Van Horn, h2oya311, thecapeleague, Gkoz316, chesbro41, edjs, wazoo, becollie, t206kid, vintageismygame, Neal, bradmar48, iconsportscards, wrapperguy, agrebene, T3fan, T3s, ccre, Leon, wolf441, cammb, tonyo, markf31,gonzo,scmavl & others

currently working on:
E101 (33/50)
T3 set (104/104), complete!
T205 set (108/221)
'33 Goudey
collecting W600s, Walter Johnson
Old 01-22-2024, 02:17 PM

Ichiro after 6,000 career at bats:

Overall: 2000 for 6000 = .333333333...........
Home: 980 for 2940 = .333333333...........
Away: 1020 for 3060 = .333333333...........
Old 01-22-2024, 02:21 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utter Chaos View Post
Ichiro after 6,000 career at bats:

Overall: 2000 for 6000 = .333333333...........
Home: 980 for 2940 = .333333333...........
Away: 1020 for 3060 = .333333333...........
That's pretty cool
Old 01-22-2024, 02:29 PM

Art Fowler (first game was 4/17/1954) made his debut almost 30 years after his brother Jesse (7/29/1924).

Wilton Guerrero (5'11, 145 lbs, born 10/24/74) is 4 inches shorter, 90 pounds lighter and 3 1/2 months older than his brother Vladimir (6'3, 235, 2/9/75)

In 1976 Tony Perez had 32 doubles, 6 triples, 19 home runs, and 91 RBI's for the Reds. The following year for the Expos he had 32 doubles, 6 triples, 19 home runs, and 91 RBI's.

In 1974, Tommy McCraw had 34 hits, 8 doubles, 0 triples, 3 homers, and 17 RBI's for the Angels. In July he was purchased by Cleveland and would go on to have 34 hits, 8 doubles, 0 triples, 3 homers, and 17 RBI's for the Indians.

Last edited by Utter Chaos; 01-22-2024 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2024, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
And never gave up a grand slam in his career.
He did give up a grand slam in the minors in 1967. Some guy named Johnny Bench.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:45 PM

Jesse Fowler went by Pete and spent most of his adult life institutionalized.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:07 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Johnny Cooney played for parts of three decades and had more than 3000 at bats. He hit two home runs in his career. They were on consecutive nights.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:13 PM

How could Wilton Guerrero be 3 1/2 months older than his brother Vlad? Did his mother get pregnant when she already was pregnant? I thought that was impossible.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
How could Wilton Guerrero be 3 1/2 months older than his brother Vlad? Did his mother get pregnant when she already was pregnant? I thought that was impossible.
Papa was a rollin' stone...
Old 01-22-2024, 04:28 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...nd-birthdates/

Presumably it’s a result from the brothers lying about birth dates to seem younger and more attractive to MLB, and is not true.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:49 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I can guess the rest. After a few dates, things are going really well, and you and Penny start going at it pretty heavy. Then all of a sudden Phil comes into the room and says:

Okay, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker going here
Two down, nobody on, no score, bottom of the ninth
There's the windup, and there it is
A line shot up the middle, look at him go
This boy can really fly
He's rounding first and really turning it on now
He's not letting up at all
He's gonna try for second, the ball is bobbled out in center
And here comes the throw, and what a throw
He's gonna slide in head first
Here he comes, he's out
No, wait, safe-safe at second base
This kid really makes things happen out there
Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch-he's going
And what a jump he's got, he's trying for third
Here's the throw, it's in the dirt-safe at third
Holy cow, stolen base, he's taking a pretty big lead out there
Almost daring him to try and pick him off
The pitcher glances over, winds up, and it's bunted
Bunted down the third base line, the suicide squeeze is on
Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close, here's the throw, here's the play at the
Holy cow, I think he's gonna make it