NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2024, 05:54 AM
Albert Bee

Default Net 54 rule

Did I miss a rule change on this here Net 54 forum ?

Is the pre war section now allowing posts on " Non" pre war topics/ subjects/ opinions, etc ?
Old 01-21-2024, 06:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post

Is the pre war section now allowing posts on " Non" pre war topics/ subjects/ opinions, etc ?
Yes, you went to the restroom and missed the change. Not.

No, they should be in their own section BUT, if you read the rules (very, very few do) then you would know some off topics are permitted. Admittedly, there have been too many recently and some will be moved. If folks would start pre war threads, and other threads, in their correct sections, it would help. ALso, if a topic tangentially can relate to prewar, many times it is left on the front page.

Here is a pre war card.. A w575-1 Clark's Bread card..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clarksmcgraw.jpg (195.9 KB, 796 views)

Last edited by Leon; 01-21-2024 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-21-2024, 08:10 AM
Eric Perry

Here’s another guy who didn’t always follow the rules…
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 784BA38D-8D27-4004-82CE-8B228B9B119D.jpg (191.2 KB, 751 views)

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 01-21-2024, 02:14 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

I'd like to say "thank you" for being a little lenient on this.
I love this board and the community but I am not a pre war collector. The post war forums are crickets. The main page is where its at. I have learned a great deal about pre war cards and appreciate them but I truly love the threads about Mantle and Mays and Jackie etc. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes, you went to the restroom and missed the change. Not.

No, they should be in their own section BUT, if you read the rules (very, very few do) then you would know some off topics are permitted. Admittedly, there have been too many recently and some will be moved. If folks would start pre war threads, and other threads, in their correct sections, it would help. ALso, if a topic tangentially can relate to prewar, many times it is left on the front page.

Here is a pre war card.. A w575-1 Clark's Bread card..

Last edited by campyfan39; 01-21-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2024, 03:37 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

I’ll second the gratitude for a little compassion towards us postwar collectors. Not sure if we’re all too lazy to click over the postwar side, or if there really are so few of us that collect postwar. But either way, all of the cool kids and all of the action seems to be on the main page, and we enjoy not having to sit at the kid table sometimes.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 01-21-2024, 04:03 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
I’ll second the gratitude for a little compassion towards us postwar collectors. Not sure if we’re all too lazy to click over the postwar side, or if there really are so few of us that collect postwar. But either way, all of the cool kids and all of the action seems to be on the main page, and we enjoy not having to sit at the kid table sometimes.
Well put, postwar is significant, one of the most beautiful cards ever produced are the 51 Bowman Mays and Mantle imo, but it gets a little confusing when you combine a Billy Ripken FU with a Lou Gertenrich back in the same group.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-21-2024, 04:29 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Well put, postwar is significant, one of the most beautiful cards ever produced are the 51 Bowman Mays and Mantle imo, but it gets a little confusing when you combine a Billy Ripken FU with a Lou Gertenrich back in the same group.
On a funny note. As someone who has owned and sold some silly rare Bill Ripken cards. If that card actually existed it would be worth the same as a low grade 51 Bowman Mays.
Old 01-21-2024, 04:43 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
On a funny note. As someone who has owned and sold some silly rare Bill Ripken cards. If that card actually existed it would be worth the same as a low grade 51 Bowman Mays.
No, I get that Ben and follow your collection in the post war section and its awesome, I just think it's confusing overall, but I'm a rules guy. makes my life easier when I cam compartmentalize.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 01-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post

Go Chiefs !
Old 01-21-2024, 07:55 PM
Mike

I still think it should " Modern 1976+" and "Non-Modern Pre 1976" since a lot of the "Pre War"discussion is about Mantle , Mays etc., 1950 's. 1975 and before is now about 50 years ago.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I prefer them in the proper boards, because then you know where to look for them when you want to add to the thread. +1 for putting post war threads in post war section, since I check it regularly.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-22-2024, 01:17 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
I love this board and the community but I am not a pre war collector. The post war forums are crickets. The main page is where its at. I have learned a great deal about pre war cards and appreciate them but I truly love the threads about Mantle and Mays and Jackie etc. Thank you
I'd throw my hat into that ring as well. I've often found myself not even bothering to create posts because they technically don't meet the "pre-war" requirements, but they're not worth my time to post in post-war because all the action is on the main page. There just isn't enough traffic to split everything up IMO. I would vote to combine it all into one if voting were an option. I think it would increase overall engagement.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:19 AM

Grumpy old man here. Check out the Goudey thread I recently posted on the main board...and stay off my vintage lawn with your darn Air Jordache sneakers!

Brian
Old 01-22-2024, 03:23 AM
Jim Reynolds

I collect 1880-1980, the typical “vintage years”. Thr pre-war board is where I spend the majority of my time, unless I’m discussing particular offshoots, like pinbacks, pennants, etc.

I enjoy the leniency and the ability to read about T206’s and 1964 Topps and whatever else falls into the thread.
Old 01-22-2024, 07:44 AM
Drew W@i$e

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Agree, plus I love all the discussion the main page.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Generally speaking, the curator of a zoo is going to have the best displays of things they are most interested in. The curator of this zoo specializes in pre-war baseball cards. That is what the main focus is and always has been, on Net54baseball. The sections won't be changing soon unless there is an overwhelming reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
I'd throw my hat into that ring as well. I've often found myself not even bothering to create posts because they technically don't meet the "pre-war" requirements, but they're not worth my time to post in post-war because all the action is on the main page. There just isn't enough traffic to split everything up IMO. I would vote to combine it all into one if voting were an option. I think it would increase overall engagement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg euncbigeater.jpg (123.9 KB, 247 views)
Old 01-22-2024, 10:31 AM
Bru.ce Wil.s0n

This is the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2024, 11:47 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcwcardz View Post
This is the first thing that popped into my mind when reading this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are a lot of threads that is appropriate for.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:33 PM
Frank Bev.ilac.qua

Default BST Section

I also thought it was a rule to not hijack people's BST threads with conversations that should be on the main page. Most recent example is talking about the merits of a set break raffle auction vs other normal selling options.
Old 01-22-2024, 04:09 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo29 View Post
I also thought it was a rule to not hijack people's BST threads with conversations that should be on the main page. Most recent example is talking about the merits of a set break raffle auction vs other normal selling options.
A PM to a moderator, Brian or I, and we can look into that. It's generally not supposed to happen. If it's involving the seller then they are giving a tacit approval.