NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-05-2022, 06:26 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Starting with a runner on second base...

...in extra innings is the most pathetic piece of garbage the baseball world has ever seen. I don't care if I'm late to the party, but freakin' end this f*cking joke next year, MLB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gawd, what the hell is wrong with you?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:21 PM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
...in extra innings is the most pathetic piece of garbage the baseball world has ever seen. I don't care if I'm late to the party, but freakin' end this f*cking joke next year, MLB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My gawd, what the hell is wrong with you?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over.
I couldn't agree more. Sadly, both the owners and the players union voted for it, so it might be here to stay.
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 06-05-2022, 07:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Why not start every inning with the bases loaded? It makes as much sense. First team to 21 runs wins. And not to remove the home field advantage, the home team bats first in every inning. And in the middle of the twelfth inning, a fan can try to throw out his mother-in-law trying to steal second base.

Let's consider constructive comments like this going forward.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:27 PM
Dave

I hate it to and I’m fine with most of the recent rule changes and proposed changes.

It’s an artificial way of trying to say they are shortening games without getting rid of commercials. Shorter extra inning games drives down the average game times without doing anything to the average length of 9 inning games.

I don’t think I’ve disliked a rule change in any sport this much since they started doing the overtime shootout in hockey.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:56 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

I’m shocked I like it. Completely understand those against it and I feel like I should be against it. My views on it today are probably heavily influenced by the fact the Mets won in extra innings last night.

If the main fear is really long games I don’t think having regular season ties after 12 innings under the old rules would be bad.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:57 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
My views on it today are probably heavily influenced by the fact the Mets won in extra innings last night.
Mets like the rule too, they are 5-0 in extra innings games this year.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:32 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Pee Wee League move by MLB and players.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:10 AM
Dave

MLB games might be long, but extra inning games always seemed to have added tension to them. Will one team run out of relievers or bench players, will this go on to the 20th inning. Will it ruin the bullpens for the next 3 days.

Higher stakes for the winners and losers of these games. Higher tension for the fans you don't get in a normal 9 inning game.

It's like every extra inning is the 9th inning of a tie game.

Just think of some of the wild extra inning playoff games we've had over the years.

Putting a runner on 2nd in the 10th inning, is like going straight to a shoot-out in hockey or soccer. It's anti-climatic every time, even if the team you are rooting for happens to win. Just seems like lower stakes involved.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:12 AM
Dave

Ernie Banks would have hated it.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:17 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Ernie Banks would have hated it.

I am happy they got rid of the 7 inning double header games.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:16 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

They're trying to turn major league baseball into a Jiffy Lube. Get in, get out quickly.

Pathetic.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:26 PM
Kevin from Franklin Square, LI

Lame AF
Old 06-06-2022, 06:31 PM
Rob G.

At first I really hated it. I'm starting to warm up to it to the point of indifference.

Very happy about no more 7 inning double headers. Felt cheated!
Old 06-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Jay Shumsky

I'm ok with it, but I think they should play one or two extra innings without it before starting to do it. Kind of like hockey with a 5 minute OT before the shootout.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:48 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I never thought I'd say it, but Rob Manfred has made me miss Bud Selig. For all Selig's faults, he at least was a fan of the game.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:17 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Why not start every inning with the bases loaded? It makes as much sense. First team to 21 runs wins. And not to remove the home field advantage, the home team bats first in every inning. And in the middle of the twelfth inning, a fan can try to throw out his mother-in-law trying to steal second base.

Following you down the rabbit hole Frank, I propose MLB introduces a tee at home plate, not unlike when my 6 year old son played. That way every batter would start out on an "even" playing field, and think of the cost savings in a world where Tommy John surgery was no longer necessary. The pitcher? Could field his position and win the Cy Young by leading the league in "comebacker" outs.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-07-2022, 10:07 PM
Jim M.arinari

Kinda drives me outta my mind. I remember when softball didn't start the 8th (someone told me they are down to 5 now?) with a man on 2nd, 1 out, and 2 strikes on the batter.

If you're going to bastardize the game, why not just start the batter with 2 strikes, let each batter get one swing, and any ball in play gets a point rating? Fly=0, anything that hits the ground = 1, past the 'double' line = 2, etc. Then mark sections of the outfield in colors and get extra pts for hitting the color that a giant wheel on the scoreboard picks before each pitch? No reason for fielders since they haven't used the same ball for 2 consecutive pitches since 1993 anyway.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:44 AM
Dave

Let's just have robo-pitchers and robo-batters and call it.......hear me out....."Meta-ball".

No more pesky salary cap, or expensive baseball stadiums.

We can buy virtual NFT based trading cards of our favorite ballplayers such as: "Archie Universe", "Hal 2000" and "Cris Cyborg", and then trade those cards for household staples such as Tofu Diapers and Free Trade Oxygen Tents.

The Future is bright people..........and I mean really bright. Like don't stare into the Sun for too long, or you might catch fire or lose your flood insurance bright!

Old 06-08-2022, 08:54 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Following you down the rabbit hole Frank, I propose MLB introduces a tee at home plate, not unlike when my 6 year old son played. That way every batter would start out on an "even" playing field, and think of the cost savings in a world where Tommy John surgery was no longer necessary. The pitcher? Could field his position and win the Cy Young by leading the league in "comebacker" outs.
Phil, welcome to the hole. We used to play long extra-inning games with 9 or 10 man pitching staffs. Now the poor managers run out of relief pitchers with 13-14 man pitching staffs. More entertaining perhaps would be the following.

Once a team has "run out" of relief pitchers, they would be required to use only position players on the mound with 8 relief pitchers in the field behind them. Those RP fielders would also be required to bat against the non-pitchers.

Obviously some nerd is going to ask what can Ohtani do in extra innings? The only equitable option would be to take a shower.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.