NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 12-21-2023, 11:11 PM

Default Yoshinobu Yamamoto reportedly agrees to join Dodgers on record 12-year, $325 million

https://sports.yahoo.com/yoshinobu-y...041846597.html
Old 12-22-2023, 01:49 AM
Sean McGinty

Man, first Ohtani and now Yamamoto? Dodgers are on a signing roll.

12 year contract for a pitcher is kind of odd.
Old 12-22-2023, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
Man, first Ohtani and now Yamamoto? Dodgers are on a signing roll.

12 year contract for a pitcher is kind of odd.
The Dodgers are putting together an All-Star team. Meanwhile, my favorite team, the Red Sox, have added their targets Tyler O'Neil and Cooper Criswell. I have that feeling it's going to be a long, losing year again.
Old 12-22-2023, 06:37 AM
Jay Shumsky

Hard to believe they signed him for 12 years, although since the money is around was people were guessing, the long length helps decrease the average value that is used toward the luxury tax. Considering he's used to pitching once a week and is around the same size as Tim Lincecum, it will be interesting to see how he does when he has to pitch every fifth day and how long he lasts. Lincecum was 28 when he fell apart.
Old 12-22-2023, 07:30 AM
J@mes In.gram

Hope they both blow up in the Dodgers' face. Tell me again about all the World Series championships the Angels won with Trout and Ohtani.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 12-22-2023, 08:46 AM
mªttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
Hope they both blow up in the Dodgers' face. Tell me again about all the World Series championships the Angels won with Trout and Ohtani.
Unlike the Angels, the Dodgers have other good players, though...
Successful transactions with: Natswin2019, ParachromBleu, Cmount76, theuclakid, tiger8mush, shammus, jcmtiger, oldjudge, coolshemp, joejo20, Blunder19, ibechillin33, t206kid, helfrich91, Dashcol, philliesfan, alaskapaul3, Natedog, Kris19, frankbmd, tonyo, Baseball Rarities, Thromdog, T2069bk, t206fix, jakebeckleyoldeagleeye, Casey2296, rdeversole, brianp-beme, seablaster, twalk, qed2190, Gorditadogg, LuckyLarry
Old 12-22-2023, 11:17 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Unlike the Angels, the Dodgers have other good players, though...
Unfortunately that’s an understatement. Mets are in trouble for 2024. Nothing new.
Old 12-25-2023, 04:36 PM
Peter Spaeth

How many pitchers from Japan have proved to be first rate starters in MLB for more than, say, 4 years?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:01 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'd say maybe only Hideo Nomo, but even he had a roller coaster of a career.

Darvish for talent, but have to say overall he has to almost be considered a bust. Not really....but in the sense of the expectations for him he has fallen well short.

Yah these 2 contracts they handed out. I feel for Dodgers fans. They may get a World Series, maybe 2......but can't wait to see the price of tickets, concessions and parking......next couple years, gonna be threw the roof. Will be by far the highest in baseball. Glad I don't live there.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 12-26-2023 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-25-2023, 06:43 PM
Peter Spaeth

How long until we might see Roki Sasaki, he of the 13+ SO9 and 0.7 WHIP?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-25-2023 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:46 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
I'd say maybe only Hideo Nomo, but even he had a roller coaster of a career.

Darvish for talent, but have to say overall he has to almost be considered a bust. Not really....but in the sense of the expectations for him he has fallen well short.

Yah these 2 contracts they handed out. I feel for Dodgers fans. They may get a World Series, maybe 2......but can't wait to see the price of tickets, concessions and parking......next couple years, gonna be threw the rough. Will be by far the highest in baseball. Glad I don't live there.
Darvish may have suffered from unreasonable expectations but when his career is over he’ll likely have had the most impressive of any Japanese starter in MLB so far.

He’s got 11 seasons as a quality starter under his belt and he has mostly avoided Nomo’s roller coaster type career. His best seasons have been on a par with Nomo’s or better, while his worst have been nowhere near as bad. His resume has slowly piled up (5 time all star, twice CY runner up, etc) and he is still pitching well in his late 30s.

He doesn’t have HOF numbers but he might fall into Hall of Very Good territory, which is impressive for a guy who spent the first 8 years of his career outside of MLB.

Last edited by seanofjapan; 12-25-2023 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:33 AM

I understand the Japanese league is second to MLB in terms of talent but it’s a distant second. The contract dollars are built around mystique. I don’t think there’s any reason an MLB team would draft a pitcher first overall and pay them 25 mil. Why do it on the international stage?
Old 12-26-2023, 06:40 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I understand the Japanese league is second to MLB in terms of talent but it’s a distant second. The contract dollars are built around mystique. I don’t think there’s any reason an MLB team would draft a pitcher first overall and pay them 25 mil. Why do it on the international stage?
I think it has partially to do with the fact that the NPB has closed the gap somewhat in terms of talent to the Major Leagues, the seasoning that Yammamoto has, and the fact that he's been so dominant in the NPB.

That being said, 12 years 325 million for a guy that has never thrown a single major league pitch is ridiculous. I'm all for the players being paid fairly, but the salaries have completely jumped the shark. Hell quite frankly everything has when it comes to money, with our national pastime.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:22 AM

I hear you on the gap closing lately. Paul Skenes had probably the most dominant season of college baseball ever. He was drafted first overall and signed for a 9.2 million dollar bonus. He will make the minimum after.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
I think it has partially to do with the fact that the NPB has closed the gap somewhat in terms of talent to the Major Leagues, the seasoning that Yammamoto has, and the fact that he's been so dominant in the NPB.

That being said, 12 years 325 million for a guy that has never thrown a single major league pitch is ridiculous. I'm all for the players being paid fairly, but the salaries have completely jumped the shark. Hell quite frankly everything has when it comes to money, with our national pastime.
Nobody is forcing anyone to pay the obscene prices for tickets and merchandise, or to watch the games.

Old 12-26-2023, 10:26 AM
Dave

Hiroki Kuroda might have only been a .500 pitcher, but he had a sneaky good (and pretty durable) 7 year run from his mid to late 30's in the MLB.

...and he wasn't a really highly touted phenom coming out of Japan. Just a solid pitcher.

Maybe not always perennial Cy Young contenders, but a lot of these Japanese pitchers are considered seasoned and reliable enough to plug right into a rotation or bullpen somewhere.

We've come a long way in scouting and evaluating these guys (both physically and mentally) since the unmitigated disaster that was Hideki Irabu. A heartbreaking story in retrospect, of a guy who never really wanted to leave his country.
Old 12-26-2023, 10:31 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Nobody is forcing anyone to pay the obscene prices for tickets and merchandise, or to watch the games.

Yup. I'm a Yankee fan and I even cut the cord for the YES Channel several years ago.

I still follow them and are invested in how they do, but have no interest in doing it at any cost. We are not powerless in this. We have choices.

I get out to minor league games (both baseball & hockey) whenever I get the chance. Still a reasonable night/day out.