NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-14-2021, 12:54 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Default 1952 Colorado Springs Sky Sox Team Set

My lovely wife gifted me the following set a number of years ago for Christmas. Thing is, I have not been able to find much about this set. I know that it is a 19 card set, I have all 19 and that apparently the Connie Johnson card is somewhat harder to find than the other 18.

I found out that this is mentioned in one of the Krauss publications but that is about it. I know that minor league sets do not get much focus here but can anyone possibly shed a bit more light on this if possible?

Sam Hairston is in the Sky Sox ring of fame here in Colo Spgs. and was a coach here for a while also. But long before I moved here.

It is a cool set and I have seen some advertised on eBay but not much else I have been able to find. If anyone may have the Krauss pub data and can post it here, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks!

B. T.

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 12-14-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:39 PM

Default Globe Printing

Hi,

Made by Globe Printing out of San Jose, Ca. They made a handful of sets of minor league teams in the 1950's. This is a pic from an older guide so prices don't mean a whole lot. The Johnson and Hairston carry a little premium over the others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg globe.jpg (71.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:57 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Andypcl,

AWESOME and Thank You! Exactly what I was hoping to find. This place continues to amaze me with the info that everyone comes with here.

I see PCL in your user name. I cannot believe that the PCL no longer exists as it was once known. MLB really gutted everything with this minor league realignment. I followed the Sky Sox when they were affiliated with the Rockies and now Colo Spgs has a short season A-ball team. How things have changed.

Thank you again for your post. Greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Butch

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:52 AM

Default Pcl

Yes, they sure did. We were fortunate in Sacramento to keep the River Cats although after changing affiliations from the A's to the Giants, the energy seems to have waned quite a bit. Sacramento has a huge A's fan base and it was pretty electric at Raley Field. It seems a bit more corporate now. Your cards seem to be in exceptional shape. Great present!
Old 12-15-2021, 12:01 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Thanks! I asked her what she paid for them and she though around 100.00. I have never taken any of the cards out of the folder since I got them. They look totally new when you look at them. YIKES, I need her to buy all my cards. :-)

It was a sad day for us when the Rockies dropped their affiliation with the Sky Sox. Same thing happened here, no one really cared about the Brewers and attendance dropped tremendously. Finally, they even left and now a short season A-League Rockies team is supposed to move in. Pretty sure no one is gonna really care about that move either.

And then when the Rockies moved their affiliation to Albuquerque?????? WTF.... That has always been Dodger-Dukes country. It is an affront to any PCL fan senses. Ugh..... up is down and down is up.

We had season tix from the time the Rockies came to town in 93 until 2004 when we just got tired living in the ball park each summer. It was not long after that things turned for the worse.

Thanks again for the post.

Cheers,

Butch Turner

Last edited by butchie_t; 12-15-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:40 AM
Chris Counts

Butch, you have the greatest wife ever! Those cards are truly wonderful and rare, and the three former Negro League players would no doubt carry a premium. I have a Globe Printing album like yours of the Atlanta Crackers, but in mine, the cards are printed on the pages, and autographs were added later..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crackers 3.jpg (78.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg Crackers 6.jpg (76.9 KB, 66 views)
Old 12-21-2021, 09:03 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Thanks Chris, I agree totally with your comments about my wife! She takes an active interest in the hobby and that makes getting things much easier! She gets just as jazzed when she pulls a nice card from a pack of cards as I do. Makes busting 'wax' that much more enjoyable!

She is a geek to and that helps in many ways with the network geek side of me as well!

The set is crazy cool for many reasons not even counting the scarcity. We followed the Sky Sox here for almost as long as they were associated with the Rockies organization. And their history was weaved throughout the years they were here.

I saw the album you have and wondered why Globe did what they did there and did not print actual cards. The autographs are great regardless. Thanks for the pictures.

Cheers,

B. T.

Old 12-21-2021, 06:41 PM
Dan Bretta

I had a complete Globe Sky Sox set in album and another complete set nearly all signed including Ken Landenberger which is pretty rare considering he died in 1960. Sold them to another Net54 member who resides in Colorado a few years back. Very rare cards. Your wife rocks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg globe5.jpg (79.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg globe2.jpg (79.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg globe3.jpg (79.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg globe4.jpg (77.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg globe.jpg (77.9 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 12-21-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:01 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

So cool! Now I have seen two! The autographs are amazing.

Thanks

B. T.