NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2004, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Default Who is this Ebay Seller

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I won an auction from "sandiegowill" His name is Will Hays. He is asking me to pay for Pay-pal fees after I made the Pay-pal payment. Is this OK? Can he demand only a certain amount to be payed thru Pay-Pal.. I believe you either accept Pay-pal or you don't.. Has anyone else had this kind of expierence?

Old 05-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian "Shammus"

only up to $200. At least this has been his policy on most of the items I have seen him list. If your item was over that amount, that might be why he's asking for additional money to cover the cost. Generally speaking, I've purchased a couple cards from him and everything's turned out alright.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Harry

It clearly stated in the description that he accepted Pay Pal to with a maximum of $200. It is a pain to have to always read the fine print though.

For what it is worth, I sent him a check and he sent out the item before the check cleared.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I have had a few experiences with sandiegowill, all good except for his goofy policy of only accepting Paypal up to $200. Will, says he takes these items on consignment and has a small margin to work with. It makes no sense because it actually costs more to use paypal on smaller iteems because of the per transaction fee attacted to Paypal. It also makes no sense to because it is easier to come up with $200 or less in cash, than it is to mcome up with over $200 cash when there is the option of useing Paypal and being able to use a credit card.
I have no idea what he does if you win more than one item that each are under $200 but as a whole total over $200. Can you pay for each individually with Paypal because each item is under the $200?
The policy makes no sense to me but his transactions have always been good. I rarely bid on his items over $200, because it is easier for me to put larger transaactions on my credit card.

Old 05-27-2004, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: OEL

Jim,

First time I've ever heard of a seller putting a cap on a Paypal payment especially from a "powerseller" who should qualify for the reduced Paypal fees. You either except paypal or you don't. "period" More than likely their sleezy way of passing the Paypal fee to the bidder especially if the bidder needs to use a credit card.

The seller's $200.00 cap may be in violation of Ebay policy seeing that there is no explanation as to why he has this cap. Even though the cap is posted in the auction that doesn't necessarily make it OK if it is in fact a violation.

Here is Ebay's policy concerning surcharges on credit cards and other forms of payment:

Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item-this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

Jim, if you absolutely need to use your credit card then I would contact the seller to let them know you're going to have Ebay checkout their $200.00 cap and the additional fees their asking you to pay. NOTE: Do not delete the original email that shows them requesting the paypal fees. Ebay will request the actual email headers from that email.

Hope this info will help you.

OEL

Old 05-28-2004, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Will Hayes is one of the good guys in the hobby and is one of the true old timers.

There is nothing in eBay rules that says a seller can't put limits on the use of PayPal, credit cards, etc. They just can't pass on the fee. But in this case, if he is trying use PayPal exceeding the $200 limit, then I'm not sure there is much eBay can do. And as we know, eBay isn't about to do anything to PowerSeller anyway.

As for Will's policy, it baffles me too and makes no fiscal sense. I've seen several other sellers with this type policy. As my brother pointed out, it should be the other way around if they are worried about fee since the percentage taken is higher on lower dollar items than on big ticket items.

Jay

Old 05-28-2004, 06:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

all good. A solid dealer.

I think he may not have a merchant account with Paypal. I think if you are under $200 and have the basic freebie account, you can accept up to $200 from a source other than a credit card for free.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have done business with him and it has always been good. Get off of your wallet JC later

Old 05-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

I'm sure he is an OK dealer in the hobby as I have delt with him in the past on smaller items once in awhile. I judge people by their actions and NOT always by their words. I paid for an item around 500.00 using the Pay-Pal link in the auction and thought everything was OK. One week leter I get an e-mail saying I owe him for the Pay-pal fees of 15.00 dollors or so.

Leon, it's NOT about the money but the principle and aggravation. Why did he wait a week to come forward? I too am a Power Seller on Ebay and I know that you can not charge for pay-pal fees PERIOD!

I did not know I could get a break on the fees.. Thank you for that tid-bit. I have already turned this over to Ebay and I do have his original e-mail saved for future referrence.

Heck, if I did not bid the item, it would have went for around 320.00. If money was an issue for Will, he should have put a reserve on the auction and make sure the Pay-pal fees are included which acceptable in my book.

Old 05-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I have bought from Will on two occasions, once paypal, once with a check. Both items were shipped promptly (in fact, I got the one with a check before it even cleared). He is a good guy in my opinion.

Joshua

Old 05-28-2004, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: OEL

warshawlaw

The maximum amount someone can receive on a personal account is $1000.00 per month and can only be sent using a paypal balance or direct funds for a checking account. ( No credit cards transfers ) Seeing that the seller is a powerseller I doubt if he would be operating under a personal account. The $1000.00 max would be reached in no time.

What this seller's main concern may be is a charge back from the credit card company on a high ticket item.

I believe this makes more sense. What do you think?

OEL

Old 05-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I think you can block or refuse credit card payments with Paypal if you don't want to deal with it. I know I've refused a couple.

Frankly, I thought about a surcharge but decided that the whole damned thing (the surcharge) is worth less than the trouble it causes. He ought to just kick up his opening 3% or jack up his handling charge a bit and spare himself the headaches from P.O.'d customers.

Old 05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Two messages back was reference to a seller concerned about a charge back from a credit card company on a high ticket item.

I believe that a person that uses paypal authorizes paypal to be the company that settles disputes regarding credit card charges.

Also consider this, if the seller can prove that he sent something (anything I guess) then things get a bit interesting as far as settling the dispute.

Something else to remember about paypal and ebay both - they always encourage a buyer to try to work things out with the seller. The only key is to remember that there is a time limit with which to work out your issues. You can pretty much forget about having ebay or paypal assist you if you exceed the time limit.

Guess who thinks paypal stinks and guess who thinks ebay should emphasize their time limit when requesting that a buyer "work things out" with the seller before filing a claim.