NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-20-2021, 03:16 PM
Matt Ferroni

Default Beckett Price Guide 2 Columns in PSA terms??

Ok, I know there will never be a true answer to this from Beckett because PSA is a competing card grading company but considering PSA is the dominant player in vintage grading - does anyone have an idea of what PSA grade the 2 columns in a Beckett price guide reflect? Even the Beckett website has this convoluted answer of Lo and Hi where Hi would be the trade value (or price at a retail shop) and Lo would be the cash price (or price at a card show). HUH?

In full disclosure, I subscribe to Beckett Vintage Collector which I love mainly for the incredible articles (sounds like the 1980s bachelor justifying a Playboy subscription) and love looking at the color auction adds with beautiful cards I will never own. I use PSA completed auction data generally for accurate price comps but have lately been interested more in the price guide to get an idea of the value of certain cards I may want to look into.

So leads me back to the columns. Considering my most valuable card - 1960 Topps Mantle #350, which I keep a very close eye on, this month lists it as $500/$1000 which basically correlates to PSA 5/PSA 6. Seems like such a narrow range for grades. Another example T206 commons listed as $50/$100 which to me seems more like PSA 3/PSA 4. Maybe it is a moving target considering how old the set is and likelihood of higher grades?
Old 01-20-2021, 04:07 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Normally there is a key in the front of those magazines or books which explains the standard condition, like NM for the 1970s cards or EX for 1950s cards. LO is the wholesale price, like what you'd pay at a flea market or the "friend" price. HI is the retail price, what a dealer would want to sell at to pay all their card store overhead.

But... price guides are almost completely worthless and you should use eBay sold values.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Matt Ferroni

Ha thanks John and agree with your summary point. I’ll pretty much use it just to get a birds eye on RCs in each set, etc. I am a big fan of the magazine otherwise though and just reupped my subscription.