NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 PM

Default Arrrggghhhh! The last major pre-war set falls to the reprinters

As I trolled eBay tonight looking for hidden gems and wading through the same reprints, over-priced inventories of about 5 sellers which have been running for a year, I had to gnash my teeth when I saw Dean's Cards selling reprint T207s. The T207s are the last major set to be reprinted. Perhaps it is because some collectors don't care for the brown backgrounds or the fact so many HOFers were left out, etc. Whatever the reason I was overjoyed that reprints/replicas/fakes hadn't infiltrated the hobby. Until now.
Anyone who knows me personally or had read any if my articles about the T207 set knows how much I love the cards. But to see the replicas finally make it in to the hobby is unnerving. In the one hand it is an inexpensive way of buying them and collecting them but the ugly other side is when they eventually start being sold to unwitting collectors as genuine.
I couldn't see the cards offered for sale so I don't know if they have 'reprints' on the back but if am guessing not.
The last major pre-war set without reprints is no more and it's a damn shame.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Mike

Default Such silliness

Sadly, I suppose it was inevitable, Bob.

While their website has had the reprint set for a while, I think they've taken it just way too far now.

Previously - for just $47.49 - you too could have the whole set. Now that they are selling set-breaks of the entire reprint set on eBay it has just become silly, and is beyond lame. First, their prices across all their pre-war inventory are out of someone's pipe dream, and now this...

I mean, wow, I can buy a reprint of Jack Lively (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-T207-Re...item3f3647b8df) for just a $1.70 BIN. Seriously.

To see what the cards look like, check out either the Deans cards website (http://www.deanscards.com/p/298037/1...d-Reprint-Set-) or the T207 team sets on eBay, like the Pirates (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1912-Brown-B...item54069fd39a)... and judge for yourself

From someone that cut his teeth on your and Tim's article, I'd like to say thanks. Your passion for the set is appreciated and possibly even understood, though my particular obsession with T207 has only run about 8 years now.... and counting.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Someone asked me 2 days ago if a very rare set had been reprinted. I told him I hadn't seen it officially reprinted but I always, always think there are reprints of everything. The card he questioned was indeed a fake. (not even a real reprint)

As for the T207s joining the official reprint club, it had to happen. It''s a shame but it's just the way the hobby is. Hopefully some folks get the reprints and then feel the need to get the real ones. We can only hope........

Last edited by Leon; 05-17-2014 at 06:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 AM
pete ullman

I don't really let reprints bother me unless they look sorta real and can be sold to deceive. These t207's don't look anything like the real thing...so f$ck em!
Old 05-17-2014, 06:51 AM
Mike

Most of the reprints out there are obvious to those of us with a lifetime of hobby experience. Evenly rounded corners, inferior clarity, subtle picture cropping differences, cards that try too hard to look aged and conveniently located paper loss are as subtle as most face-lifts and boob jobs. I worry about the know-it-all newbie. The generation next of collectors has their work cut out for them. If ONLY there was a place for them to go to reap the benefits of a group of longtime collectors' limitless experience and knowledge.

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 05-17-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:12 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocabirdman View Post
Most of the reprints out there are obvious to those of us with a lifetime of hobby experience. Evenly rounded corners, inferior clarity, subtle picture cropping differences, cards that try too hard to look aged and conveniently located paper loss are as subtle as most face-lifts and boob jobs. I worry about the know-it-all newbie. The generation next of collectors has their work cut out for them. If ONLY there was a place for them to go to reap the benefits of a group longtime collectors' limitless experience and knowledge.
+1

I love this quote. If I had said this to the facebook group that was trying so hard to make that 1933 Goudey Lou Gehrig card be real, I probably wouldn't have gotten kicked out. I don't speak as eloquently as others. A fault I need to work on.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Pete.....

+1
Old 05-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Barry Arnold

Default bob m

well said.
It is, indeed, shameful.

best,
barry
Old 05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Jack Vernon

Hate to see it but it was inevitable I guess. If it can make a buck someone will do it

I think the 1947 Tip top breads are still the most annoying, can get really hard finding real ones with so many fakes floating about
Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
I think the 1947 Tip top breads are still the most annoying, can get really hard finding real ones with so many fakes floating about
Agree 100% with this.