NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Default Is anyone a bigger dork than Rob Dibble?

Posted By: tbob

I almost upchucked when I heard him on ESPN's Dan Patrick show giving a caller hell when he tried to point out that Aaron and Ruth didn't use steroids and Dibble went off on a tirade about how steroids have been around for a long, long time (1920's???) and how players in the 50's, 60's and 70's used drugs to increase their performance. Unless you count the nitrates (nitrites?) in hot dogs I am pretty sure the Bambino was drug free (yeah, yeah I know, booze is a drug, but you get the point, alcohol was not consumed to increase the Babe's productivity on the field).
What I really wish is that Hammerin' Hank was listening to the show when Dibble was droning on about drugs in the 50's and 60's and how "we can't say for sure they weren't taken by the home run hitters because we weren't actually present", and he took his Louisville Slugger to the thick noggin of Dibble.
What a moron. He summed up the Giambi controversy by saying how bad it was that he did it and how he remembers what happener to Lyle Alzado but then turned around and said that if steroids would have made him great for 2 years he would have given up 2 years of his life. Bozo!

Old 12-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Kasel

I think Patrick keeps him around to appear more intelligent. I heard the same comments. I listen to their show regularly and it would take some serious thought to remember a lucid point that Dibble has made. There's no place for an idiot like that on the radio....wait, Rush Limbaugh has a show too doesn't he?

Bill Kasel

Old 12-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

What do you expect from ESPN? That network is the unofficial network of the Yankees, Red Sox and Barry Bonds. If Bonds is suspended or retires (both are doubtful) ESPN will lose one of it's sources of revenue.

I love baseball and the Cincinnati Reds but the Reds are hardly ever shown on ESPN and when they are its against the Giants.

I hardly watch baseball on ESPN anymore and have lost some respect for Joe Morgan the way he sticks up and defends Bonds.

Journalism is supposed to be fair. ESPN is supposed to be a sports news network. So, if (more likely when) Bonds is found to both have knowingly taken steroids and taken them before 2003, I want to see if ESPN attacks him as much as they have built him up as "the greatest player ever".

Old 12-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob L

that is why he is ragged on everyday. That's his job. I personally like listening to him because he is such a moron. Definitely offsets the sarcastic nature of Dan Patrick. It is a good show. At least they don't have clones!!!

Old 12-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

19th Century players (along with the rest of America) used Cocaine to increase their productivity on the field in Baseball. However, it was legal at that time, and thought to be rather healthy for people. However, I am sure that alcohol never helped Babe Ruth (just look at his physique). Also, I would have loved to have seen the numbers put up by Mickey Mantle, had he not used alcohol so frequently - maybe Barry and the Juice would be chasing Mantle's HR record!?!?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

From the initial post:

Dibble - he remembers what happened to Lyle Alzado but then turned around and said that if steroids would have made him great for 2 years he would have given up 2 years of his life. Bozo!

Bozo doesn't begin to sum it up. The average life expectancy of an American is 75 years. Alzado died at 42. I saw him on a flight from Portland OR to LAX shortly before he passed away and he was just a shell of the bigger than life person he once had been. It was really sad to see this happening to him. I would have to think that if he had it all to do over again he wouldn't have done it. Unfortunately some cases are very extreme and the ultimate price is paid. For Alzado it wasn't trading a few years of fame for a few years of his life. It was trading a great portion of his life for a few good years of his career.

If I recall correctly a lot of old time ball players had off season jobs to supplement their incomes. I'd have to wonder though, would the players of yesterday have succumed to the temptations of today if they knew the enhancement would have given them possible sports immortality and allowed them to negotiate a contract where they didn't have to work the extra job?

Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marc S.

But a study was done on Olympic athletes, with the question being posed to them something like this:

"If you could take a performance-enhancing drug for your event in this one Olympics with 100% certainty that you would not get caught, BUT you would die ten years earlier, would you?"

Something like 70+% of the Olympic athletes were willing to sacrifice those ten years for that single shot at glory....

Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

that athletes were necessarily the sharpest tools in the shed. I wouldn't trade one minute of my time with my daughter for all the money in the world, although maybe I'l feel different when she's a teenager

Old 12-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

And visa versa