NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 AM
Chuck Tapia

Default Class action suit filed against PSA, PWCC and Probstein

Thanks Peter for the info.

Rest assured, I will be joining unlike all the apologists and pussies that don't get my humor and just want to keep feeding the machine.

Finally we have someone with balls to take this on unlike the idiots that think it's "business as usual" at the POPsicle stand. I try to make my post humorous and I don't really care if some of you don't get it .

I just don't like BILLION DOLLAR FRAUDS. Call me un American call me an idiot. I don't give a darn...Left field. It's not really fun or funny what they have done to card collecting. I really think it's bullshit to steal money from people and other idiots don't seem to care and want to keep the $$$ train rolling. You know who you are numskulls.

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-co...ball-cards.pdf

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 02-13-2020 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:09 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

On an admittedly quick read, I'd give that complaint a very small chance of surviving a motion to dismiss.

Fraud is pled in conclusory terms. Basically no particular facts alleged supporting fraud. Must have been fraud because of the defendants' negligence in not realizing what they should have realized. That ain't fraud.

One person's (someone learned) opinion.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-13-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:21 AM
pete ullman

i quickly perused this and it states that PSA maintains photos of all cards it grades? Is this true?

My impression is that this isn't written terribly well.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
On an admittedly quick read, I'd give that complaint a very small chance of surviving a motion to dismiss.

Fraud is pled in conclusory terms. Basically no particular facts alleged supporting fraud. Must have been fraud because of the defendants' negligence in not realizing what they should have realized. That ain't fraud.

I tend to agree , but it's a good start.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:28 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:

Fraud is just one of 8 separate counts alleged in the Complaint, and if any of those survives a motion to dismiss, which it/they should, the case would continue. Consumer fraud has different requisite elements than common-law fraud, and, at least in Arizona, is easier to establish.

This could be incredibly interesting once discovery gets in full swing.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Hi everyone. This case is filed in Orange County Superior Court. You can access the case docket by ...

1. Going to www.occourts.org
2. Clicking on "Online Case Access"
3. Click on "Access Now" next to "Civil Case & Document Access"
4. Click "Accept Terms"
5. Type in the case number of "30-2020-01130892" and year of "2020" and doing the "I'm not a robot"

The case is assigned to Hon. William Claster in Department CX-104. (CX is for Civil Complex).

To the extent any motions are filed, and I'm sure there will be, Judge Claster will likely issue a tentative ruling. His tentative rulings can be accessed here:

https://www.occourts.org/tentativeru...terrulings.htm

And for those who want to attend any hearings in person, the Courthouse is located at 751 W. Santa Ana Boulevard, Santa Ana, California 92701.

The Courthouse is open to the public, but you do have to go through a security check.

Thank you.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM
Jay Cee

Not being an attorney, what would ballpark lawyer cost be for the plantiff and the defendant(s). Im sure there are two seperate amounts... Through jury trial or up to trial.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Not being an attorney, what would ballpark lawyer cost be for the plantiff and the defendant(s). Im sure there are two seperate amounts... Through jury trial or up to trial.
Nearly impossible to say for now--too many parameters. Whatever the attorneys' fees, I am sure they will be reasonable.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 02-13-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:10 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Nearly impossible to say for now--too many parameters. Whatever the attorneys' fees, I am sure they will be reasonable.
Plaintiff's law firm could be doing on a contingency but not necessarily.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

Geez. That introduction hold back no punches.

“Baseball-card collecting really ought to be extinct. It’s an analog hobby in a digital world, an expression of fandom in a sport whose attendance is in slow decline and whose cultural relevance is in free fall.”
Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Have to wonder if eBay will be a defendant.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:19 AM

At the very least it puts a thorn in the side of these clowns. And maybe it pushes Pathetic Sports Authenticators more toward Professional Sports Authenticators.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:32 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post

“Baseball-card collecting really ought to be extinct. It’s an analog hobby in a digital world, an expression of fandom in a sport whose attendance is in slow decline and whose cultural relevance is in free fall.”
Anyone who thinks baseball's cultural relevance is in free fall honestly has their head in their ass. Baseball is the one American sport talked about and debated endlessly. . . 12 months a year, 365 days a year. Baseball hall of fame debates all winter. Baseball cheating discussions all winter. Endless. Never stops. That's a silly point. Wait till the contract for Major league broadcasting is up for renewal. Someone will pony up billions.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 02-13-2020 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

79. Second, when a card is trimmed, it no longer fits perfectly into a PSA case. Trimmed cards can often be identified by a gap between the card and the edge of the case and they may even move within the case.

This has been discussed a lot on this forum. I was told many times that the PSA holders come in so many different sizes and any card that is loose inside its case doesn't mean it was trimmed.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:10 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post

I thought the same thing.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-13-2020, 11:12 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
79. Second, when a card is trimmed, it no longer fits perfectly into a PSA case. Trimmed cards can often be identified by a gap between the card and the edge of the case and they may even move within the case.

This has been discussed a lot on this forum. I was told many times that the PSA holders come in so many different sizes and any card that is loose inside its case doesn't mean it was trimmed.

And especially strip cards and T206 which were not systematically cut like modern cards. This will be hard to prove.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
And especially strip cards and T206 which were not systematically cut like modern cards. This will be hard to prove.
What about with the thousands of "before and after" photos, showing the cards to be indisputably trimmed to a smaller size. There are a plethora of "maraca" cards that used to fit snugly and now have significant air space.

These pics do not lie, and will be quite impactful if it goes to trial. The plaintiffs should have a wealth of evidence... probably more than any judge or jury could handle.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:29 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I'm by no means a lawyer but I'm always a little concerned about situations like this. It seems if the first bullet fired isn't well thought out, it can derail the entire effort.

Like if this lawsuit is done halfway or if there's some technical error and the case is summarily dismissed, it opens the door for PSA, PWCC, etc. to say "see, we weren't doing anything wrong - the case was dismissed" and it's business as usual for them, making the second attempt that much harder.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:31 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
These pics do not lie, and will be quite impactful if it goes to trial. The plaintiffs should have a wealth of evidence... probably more than any judge or jury could handle.
Hi Mark! Just playing devil's advocate

A. PSA Knowingly Graded Altered Cards

How can one prove this?

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-13-2020, 12:31 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Quote:
What about with the thousands of "before and after" photos, showing the cards to be indisputably trimmed to a smaller size. There are a plethora of "maraca" cards that used to fit snugly and now have significant air space.

"The bank bag in the dumpster near my home does not prove beyond a doubt that I robbed a bank."
"But the video of you robbing the bank does."
"Oh."

Last edited by drcy; 02-13-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Anyone who thinks baseball's cultural relevance is in free fall honestly has their head in their ass. Baseball is the one American sport talked about and debated endlessly. . . 12 months a year, 365 days a year. Baseball hall of fame debates all winter. Baseball cheating discussions all winter. Endless. Never stops. That's a silly point. Wait till the contract for Major league broadcasting is up for renewal. Someone will pony up billions.
Completely agree Steve.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:58 PM

This is AWESOME, at least with respect to PSA.

Do they need to disclose this on financial reports and/or reserve for this contingent liability?

I have spoken to several members (and former members) about buying a high-profile card graded by PSA that we can prove has been altered, sending it in under their guaranty and then suing them when they failed to honor it. I am still up for that, sign me up. But in the meantime, I love to see this suit filed against PSA. And, I would love to join the Class, I just have no discernible proof that I can (yet)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

How can one prove this?
Maybe graders were told what to do or who submitted? Maybe graders knew what to do when cards were submitted in certain unique holders with markings. Start with the graders and submitters who benefited and work your way up the food chain.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:13 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Personally I don't see this going anywhere except costing everyone more money. Even though SGC is not listed, their prices could rise due to higher risk insurance or risk overall. The only way I see this as being cut and dry, is if someone on the inside testifies that fraud was taking place. Once this is settled, I don't really see much impact to PSA or PWCC. It might bankrupt Probstein though. All PSA has to do is show somewhere in all their fine print that the grades they give are their opinion and does not guaranty their grade will crossover to a competitor. I'm sure they've learned how to cover their ass on this subject over the years.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-13-2020, 01:24 PM
G.ary L.eavitt

All it takes is 1 disgruntled grader who decides to talk...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
I'm by no means a lawyer but I'm always a little concerned about situations like this. It seems if the first bullet fired isn't well thought out, it can derail the entire effort.

Like if this lawsuit is done halfway or if there's some technical error and the case is summarily dismissed, it opens the door for PSA, PWCC, etc. to say "see, we weren't doing anything wrong - the case was dismissed" and it's business as usual for them, making the second attempt that much harder.
A "technical error" would not be a decision on the merits and almost certainly would not prevent the action from being re-filed and served, there or elsewhere and upon whomever is appropriate.

A complaint is just that, a series of allegations that can be developed, amended, discarded or supplemented as time passes. It is designed and required to put a defendant on notice of the types of conduct that Plaintiff believes comprise legally recognized claims, so that Defendant is not left guessing as to what it supposedly did wrong. It is not intended to spell out specifically each and every transgression, or comprise "proof" of each matter alleged.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:45 PM
Den*nis O*Brien

Default I Agree..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111gecko View Post
All it takes is 1 disgruntled grader who decides to talk...
And there may be many more than one to come forward once the ball is rolling
Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 PM
Jay Cee

New article on PWCC

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ollectors.html

Last edited by BeanTown; 02-13-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:49 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Cant wait to see discovery on this.... should be interesting.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:57 PM
Jay Cee

Now its making sense with all the requirements for what PSA is looking for in a grader from their website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0141.jpg (69.9 KB, 2286 views)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:03 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:

How can one prove this?
It should be worded that PSA knowingly assigned numeric grades to altered cards. Everyone knows that they grade altered cards. Just sayin'

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:27 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

Thanks, Todd. Maybe "technicality" was a better word choice than "technical error". Either way, without getting into politics, it reminds me of a line from All the President's Men - If you shoot too high and miss, everyone feels more secure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
A "technical error" would not be a decision on the merits and almost certainly would not prevent the action from being re-filed and served, there or elsewhere and upon whomever is appropriate.

A complaint is just that, a series of allegations that can be developed, amended, discarded or supplemented as time passes. It is designed and required to put a defendant on notice of the types of conduct that Plaintiff believes comprise legally recognized claims, so that Defendant is not left guessing as to what it supposedly did wrong. It is not intended to spell out specifically each and every transgression, or comprise "proof" of each matter alleged.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:37 PM
Rob

Quote:

How can one prove this?
The question should be...

How can a company who bills itself as the "largest and most trusted third-party grading and authentication company in the world" and states "when you buy a PSA-graded collectible or submit an item to PSA for grading, you get the most accurately graded collectible in the hobby", plead ignorance here? If they can't identify an altered card, how can they promise what they do?

A company that did that would be guilty of something, right?

Or am I missing something?
Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Sebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post

How can a company who bills itself as the "largest and most trusted third-party grading and authentication company in the world" and states "when you buy a PSA-graded collectible or submit an item to PSA for grading, you get the most accurately graded collectible in the hobby", plead ignorance here? If they can't identify an altered card, how can they promise what they do?

+1
Old 02-13-2020, 02:42 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Where is our resident Thing #2,

"there is a lawsuit so it must mean something! "

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 02-13-2020, 03:05 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Everyone is bringing up valid points. I just hope it doesn't tarnish the hobby any more than the grading scandal already has.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 02-13-2020, 03:18 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

How can one prove this?
Ted...

Regarding my "before and after" comment... I was just addressing the statement made prior to my post, which referred to the air space between the cards' edges and the "bumpers". The statement opined that there are different sizes of slab openings and tolerable variances on card sizes. This was stated to rebuff/invalidate the plaintiff's "excessive air space" accusation.

My "before and after" comment was referencing the change in air space between the original and altered versions of the same card. We've seen it hundreds (if not thousands) of times on Blowout.... the same cards with indisputable/identical paper fiber identifiers. These cards fit much more snugly in their original and pre-altered state. It's very easy to visually demonstrate and document these before/after differences, and there are thousands of examples that would serve as evidence.

That's what I was referring to. With regard to how can one prove that PSA knowingly graded altered cads... that will be incumbent upon the plaintiff's legal team to convey. It's safe to say there's a mountain of evidence to plow through, and none of us know the inside connections or inner-workings at PSA.

That is, unless someone here is a former PSA employee or a fly on the wall. But unfortunately the former employee probably has a gag order or NDA, and the fly can't speak English (other than to say Heeeeelp Me!)
Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Ted...

Regarding my "before and after" comment... I was just addressing the statement made prior to my post, which referred to the air space between the cards' edges and the "bumpers". The statement opined that there are different sizes of slab openings and tolerable variances on card sizes. This was stated to rebuff/invalidate the plaintiff's "excessive air space" accusation.

My "before and after" comment was referencing the change in air space between the original and altered versions of the same card. We've seen it hundreds (if not thousands) of times on Blowout.... the same cards with indisputable/identical paper fiber identifiers. These cards fit much more snugly in their original and pre-altered state. It's very easy to visually demonstrate and document these before/after differences, and there are thousands of examples that would serve as evidence.

That's what I was referring to. With regard to how can one prove that PSA knowingly graded altered cads... that will be incumbent upon the plaintiff's legal team to convey. It's safe to say there's a mountain of evidence to plow through, and none of us know the inside connections or inner-workings at PSA.

That is, unless someone here is a former PSA employee or a fly on the wall. But unfortunately the former employee probably has a gag order or NDA, and the fly can't speak English (other than to say Heeeeelp Me!)
Ted doesn't see it because he is a blind bat apologist and just can't stop the POP. He's Teddy Blind Bat. Loves to take the asses point of view. That's OK, more power to Teddy Blind Bat.

Let's move on to some more humor, which Teddy Blind Bat won't get.
I appreciate Sports Card Radio using a few of my industry nicknames and Here's a couple of bozo's in the first series! Nice Job!

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=125

Let's not forget the ring Leader BRENT MASTRO!
Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Nothing, and I mean nothing, will happen to Probstein or Brent.... They have been laughing all the way to the bank and will continue to do so (Ebay has a lot to do with this). I would also be shocked if anything comes down on PSA... There you have it
Old 02-13-2020, 03:40 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I wonder if they'll add anything about obstruction from removing certification numbers from their online database or eliminating the ability to contact their defrauded buyers by removing accounts of ne'er-do-wells like me who criticize them online.
I heard from another board member a few days ago who was told by PSA that his business is no longer welcome after being critical of the company online. So you better be nice to the company if you keep wanting to ride the gravy train! ;-)
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 PM

Default Anyone know a Mr Scott Hardy?

He Connects idiots like me to the Brilliant Lawyer's who Like $$$$$$$$.$$

https://topclassactions.com/category...nvestigations/

at least i'm Happy All the TiMe!!!

Jus wanna say that i mostly agree wit the initial verbal genius ~

Last edited by irishdenny; 02-13-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:23 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

A couple of things:
1) In order to get damages by alleging breach of conduct from PSA under its grade guarantee or through PWCC, wouldn't someone joining this class action need to have tried to return their cards and been refused?
2) I remember one of the lawyers (Peter?) mentioning that a better solution than a class action lawsuit would be a "mass action" lawsuit because not everyone was defrauded for the same amounts and class action suits are normally for peanut-butter spreading of monetary judgments; do I have that correct?
3) If they are suing for loss of value of graded cards, but the overall card market is crazy strong, won't it be tough to prove that the market is cratering due to this scandal?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:20 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
i quickly perused this and it states that PSA maintains photos of all cards it grades? Is this true?
Doubtful. They only started scanning cards for photography purposes a year ago, and then only high valued cards at Express levels as far as I know.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:53 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:

It seems to me, they are simply saying that they provide "the most accurately graded collectible in the hobby". This does not mean the item is 100% accurately graded; it simply means that PSA feels that they come closest to the 100% accurate threshold.

PSA could have 50% accuracy over-all. If no other TPG hits the 50% mark or higher, then PSA is correct in their assertion that they are "the most accurate".

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 PM
Brian

Default Query re: Para 54 (was PSA first?)

Was PSA the first card-grading company ?
I thought it was the SGC predecessor run by Dave Foreman "SCG" or something..... I used to have a T205 Jennings that was in their holder which was like an early SGC holder black....

--
It's not relevant to the merits of the complaint. I just wondered...

Last edited by Misunderestimated; 02-13-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:20 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanTown View Post
Plaintiff firms typically enter into contingency fee contracts with their clients. If the case settles before trial, 33% is the usual fee. It, however, normally increases to 40% if the case goes to trial.

The Defendants’ attorneys will bill per hour. The total fee is obviously the agreed upon hourly rate X the total hours. The defense attorney fees will likely equal hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I’m sure the Defendants have insurance, which will defend and indemnify them. This is what insurance does. However, most insurance policies exclude intentional torts. The insurance companies may defend under a reservation of rights. They could even bring forth a declaration action to determine whether there is any insurance coverage.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:25 PM
β.Γ.Ҽ.Ո.Ť Ḋ.ź.Σ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwesq View Post
Hi everyone. This case is filed in Orange County Superior Court. You can access the case docket by ...

1. Going to www.occourts.org
2. Clicking on "Online Case Access"
3. Click on "Access Now" next to "Civil Case & Document Access"
4. Click "Accept Terms"
5. Type in the case number of "30-2020-01130892" and year of "2020" and doing the "I'm not a robot"

The case is assigned to Hon. William Claster in Department CX-104. (CX is for Civil Complex).

To the extent any motions are filed, and I'm sure there will be, Judge Claster will likely issue a tentative ruling. His tentative rulings can be accessed here:

https://www.occourts.org/tentativeru...terrulings.htm

And for those who want to attend any hearings in person, the Courthouse is located at 751 W. Santa Ana Boulevard, Santa Ana, California 92701.

The Courthouse is open to the public, but you do have to go through a security check.

Thank you.
Great information. I would go ahead and also list the nearest federal court house’s address and information. The Defendants are going to quickly transfer this case to federal court.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:26 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
It seems to me, they are simply saying that they provide "the most accurately graded collectible in the hobby". This does not mean the item is 100% accurately graded; it simply means that PSA feels that they come closest to the 100% accurate threshold.

PSA could have 50% accuracy over-all. If no other TPG hits the 50% mark or higher, then PSA is correct in their assertion that they are "the most accurate".

Steve
In order for that to be true, there must be an enormous amount of SGC and Beckett altered cards. Anybody suing them?
Old 02-13-2020, 09:30 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D View Post

Steve
And I'll add, if a card grading and "authentication" expert can't validate the most basic of criteria...is the card authentic...they have no business calling themselves experts. In fact, they have no business being in that business.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
In order for that to be true, there must be an enormous amount of SGC and Beckett altered cards. Anybody suing them?

The problem is, exactly how does one quantify the accuracy level of a particular TPG? Who do you go to, to accomplish it?

For example, in autograph collecting, Charles Hamilton was considered the foremost authenticator in the business. In sub-areas of autograph collecting, there are certain authenticators who specialize in signatures; i.e., in astronaut autographs, Steve Zarelli is probably the #1 authenticator.

In fine art, there are people who are considered the foremost experts on a particular artist, say van Gogh or Rembrandt.

Who is the #1 card grader/authenticator, who could determine, to a level that is "legally sufficient" in a court of law, PSA's accuracy compared to other TPGs.

Without a legally sufficient "expert witness", I just don't see PSA's claim of being the "most accurate", being a problem for them. It is essentially just their opinion.

Also, to what level will a court of law require, for alleged proof that the card shown in "before" picture A, is actually the exact same card shown in "after" picture B. We all have our opinions and feelings about all the cards reported/"outed" in this ongoing scandal; but we all know that pictures can be manipulated. The same card can look completely different in scans taken with different scanners, depending on the individual scanner's settings. We also know that the card stock is not always "perfect"; there are usually defects in the stock. Printing methods used for a particular card can show recurring identical defects in a particular card; i.e., 1976 Topps George Brett & 1978 Topps Molitor/Trammell. The simple fact that two different pictures of cards that show the same perceived defect(s), show cards that have different grades, but otherwise cannot be differentiated, does not mean that the cards in the two pictures, are actually the same exact card.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 02-13-2020 at 10:31 PM.