NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Default Looking for some help from this knowledgeable group please.

Posted By: jackgoodman

This may be slightly off-topic, but I asked Leon if it would be ok to post this on the main board. Please direct any flak towards me lol.

Ok, so here's my quandry. I've been planning to consign for auction pretty much my entire collection for some time now. But, I was referred to a dealer a little while ago who made me a fairly serious offer for my collection. So now the situation is this: If I choose to sell rather than auction, I know I should obtain at least a few more offers to consider.

Now here's the thing, the dealer I received the offer from was very knowledgeable about which cards in each of my sets were hard to find in nice shape because they were known for being notorious for condition issues, centering, image quality and the like.

In fact, as he went thru each of my sets, he would routinely state things like "this card is about as well centered as any I've seen" or "this is as clear/clean an image as I've seen," or "you don't see this card this well centered often" and so on. Normally, not the things you would hear from a dealer about to make an offer for your stuff. I appreciated his openess and honesty. But as I said, I owe it to my family to obtain at least one if not two other offers.

So, with that issue in mind, can you guys recommend any other dealers with that detailed level of knowledge about cards in order to be able to obtain some additional offers. I know we have many knowledgeable collector/dealers on this site and I don't mean to slight any of them. But I also know that not every dealer will have that specific level of knowledge on an almost card-by-card case. But I could be wrong lol.

Informationally, my collection does include individual "T, D and E" cards, but the bulk is post war and runs pretty complete from the late 40's to the late 60's in baseball and football.

I can be contacted via email (click my name) with your suggestions if you would rather not post them here. Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Jack

Old 09-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If you're looking to auction them, level of knowledge is important.

But if you want to sell them outright wouldn't the best offer be the only thing that matters?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Administrator

You're right Barry. I was hoping that someone as knowledgeable as the first dealer would also appreciate what I had and therefore make a competitive offer.

I'm certain you'll agree that someone offering to buy, say a nm 1957 Topps BB set will offer a certain amount. If that dealer is able to determine that many of the cards would grade high based upon their condition rarity, they may be inclined to make a higher offer. If I didn't state that too poorly, am I correct in that assumption?

Old 09-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

In other words the cards are raw and a knowledgeable dealer might find some hidden value when he gets them graded? That sounds reasonable, but I would get several offers.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Looking for knowledgeable dealers for competitive bids is the right way to go.

You don't want to waste time with people who really don't know the value of the cards you are offering.

Unfortunately... I don't have anyone in mind for you - but hopefully you get the help you are looking for.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Take the highest bidder if you can, I have turned done a lot of collections, because I know there are other dealers that would pay more. It really depends on the dealers limit - I know my limit with collecting and buying. The dealers need to have some knowledge, but really take the best deal for you.

Take care

Jimmy

Old 09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Also, give us some detail about the contents of your collection. The dealers are beginning to specialize so they pay more if it's an area they specialize in.

Peter C.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Jack,

I would call Steve Novella. First because he is knowledgeable. Second because he has an active business buying and selling vintage cards and advertises on this sight about upcoming ebay auctions. Lastly, he is 100% honest with unquestionable integrity.

I believe his e-mail is steve.novella@yahoo.com

Jim

Old 09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Jack -

Call Barry Sloate. Get his opinion. He is , if not the most, then one of the most honest, reputable dealers in the business.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Appreciate all of the suggestions - thank you. Are there any other recommendations for the type of dealers I'm hoping to find? Again, thanks.