NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-20-2020, 09:09 PM

Default 1909-1911 Cadbury Chocolates R.M.S. Titanic trade card

Hi all,

I've recently come across one of the most interesting cards I've ever seen. This card has been known to me for years but I never thought I'd have the opportunity to buy one. The card is a Cadbury Chocolates / Bournville Coca trade card advertising the R.M.S Olympic and R.M.S. Titanic. The card is the only known color image of the ship produced prior to her fateful maiden voyage. The card is an exciting find for me as Titianic is what sparked my passion for history as a 5-6 year old kid. Now that kid is pursuing his history degree at the University of Colorado and will be a senior this year. If I can get a good price, currently $130, I would like to treat myself with this card now that I have a little spending money from my birthday. However, early trade cards and tobacco cards are outside of my area and I know next to nothing about them. This is whay I'd like anyone and everyone to chime in with their opinions as to whether or not this is authentic? Thanks in advance!

Jake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-0.jpg (8.0 KB, 309 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1.jpg (69.9 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-2.jpg (67.6 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-3.jpg (77.2 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-4.jpg (65.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600-5.jpg (66.7 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 03:04 AM
edward

I don't know the issue, but it looks fine to me. The pattern on the front looks like typical stone lithography from that era. Have you seen the website titanicitems.com? It talks about this specific card.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:20 AM

This is what i can tell you from my experience of this period...

i am a Paper kinda Guy... & The Paper Never Lies!

Reproducing this Paper Product today has shown to be Impossible.
So, with this as Evidence, viewing it's qualities as You have provided...

"It's Authentic!"

And if You don't want it!?!?
Please tell me where to Send the $130.00 Required for Her Purchase!? JK ( :

Go Get That Lady of the Deep!!!

Very Nice Find Indeed ~
Old 07-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
I don't know the issue, but it looks fine to me. The pattern on the front looks like typical stone lithography from that era. Have you seen the website titanicitems.com? It talks about this specific card.
I have seen the card on titanicitems.com, it was the very first place I stopped when searching for information. Suprisingly there isn't much. I looked at sale records and the card saw a big jump during the 100th anniversary of the sinking but outside of that, maybe pops up every two years or so, at generally the same price. I appreciate your thoughts on it!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishdenny View Post
This is what i can tell you from my experience of this period...

i am a Paper kinda Guy... & The Paper Never Lies!

Reproducing this Paper Product today has shown to be Impossible.
So, with this as Evidence, viewing it's qualities as You have provided...

"It's Authentic!"

And if You don't want it!?!?
Please tell me where to Send the $130.00 Required for Her Purchase!? JK ( :

Go Get That Lady of the Deep!!!

Very Nice Find Indeed ~
Thanks for lending your expertise... I remember seeing this image as I poured over countless books as a kid, soaking up as much information and eyewitness stories I could about the disaster. If my memory serves correctley, I think there was even a copy on display when the artifact exhibit would come to town, although that could just be a selective memory.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:18 AM

Still looking for more opinions. I see the post has quite a few views! Want to make sure I'm getting what is advertised as this is a big purchase for me. Any information about this card's history is most welcome as well and if anyone has another authentic example, I'd love to see it!
Old 07-21-2020, 10:32 AM
David L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsmith View Post
I don't know the issue, but it looks fine to me. The pattern on the front looks like typical stone lithography from that era.
I agree with this statement.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_l View Post
I agree with this statement.
Thanks David!

Last edited by AstroJake09; 07-21-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-21-2020, 03:38 PM

Hoping for some more individuals with more knowledge in this area can chime in!
Old 07-21-2020, 04:17 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Hard to say would have to check with a black light ultraviolet
Old 07-21-2020, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Hard to say would have to check with a black light ultraviolet
Unfortunatley the card isn't in hand. I'm currently a prospective buyer.
Old 07-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Ronald Glenn

I hope this helps somewhat, I know this is a celluloid / plastic and is different from paper but maybe there are similarities in the print pattern
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aquitannia 001.jpg (77.5 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Aquitannia 002.jpg (82.9 KB, 238 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I hope this helps somewhat, I know this is a celluloid / plastic and is different from paper but maybe there are similarities in the print pattern
Well, on the Titanic card, the text definetly doesn't pop and the card overall looks very rough, in some corners of the card, the damage exhibied is very detailed with minute strands hanging off and looking almost like pulp. I'm sure there are forgires that have that level of detail, I just can't tell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600-1 9.09.04 PM.jpg (68.2 KB, 236 views)
Old 07-21-2020, 06:23 PM
Ronald Glenn

To be honest very hard to tell if its counterfeit or being authentic you would need to see it in person
Old 07-22-2020, 04:30 AM
edward

I'm almost 100% sure it's real, there's no sign of modern printing artifacts and it looks typical of stone lithography of the period.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:50 AM
D@ve Se@born

Default Real

It's real.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 AM
Tim Odeen

I don't know anything about the card. But I've got my MA in US History from Adams State University, Alamosa, CO. Good luck on your final year under such crazy circumstances.

Getting your MA is definitely worth it. I loved all my classes. If you got a graduate degree, what topic would be your focus?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-09-2020, 01:59 PM

Hi all,

Back on this thread for an exciting post.

I decided to pass on the card I originally posted about after concerns with the seller when they weren't willing to answer all of my questions, despite telling all prospective buyers to do so. As well as the expensive price, not being able to have it in hand and no opportunity to return this if I was told it was not authentic or had it graded as such.

I had started doing research and found various Titanic historians and enthusiasts with large collections spanning many years. I was aiming for expertise regarding the original card but found a few individuals who had examples of the card in question. One such person was Kevin Saucier. Kevin has one of the most primere and largest collection of these Olympic / Titanic cards anywhere in the world. He pulled a few examples from his collection including this graded one. Although the condition is a bit worn and creased, it is still a very recognizable card which I was able to get at half the price. The card is an incredible link to the Titanic before that fateful day in April 1912.

Success.

Stay safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (10.2 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg 0-1.jpg (10.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg 0-2.jpg (9.5 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg 0-3.jpg (10.6 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by AstroJake09; 08-09-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:36 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
Hi all,

Back on this thread for an exciting post.

I decided to pass on the card I originally posted about after concerns with the seller when they weren't willing to answer all of my questions, despite telling all prospective buyers to do so. As well as the expensive price, not being able to have it in hand and no opportunity to return this if I was told it was not authentic or had it graded as such.

I had started doing research and found various Titanic historians and enthusiasts with large collections spanning many years. I was aiming for expertise regarding the original card but found a few individuals who had examples of the card in question. One such person was Kevin Saucier. Kevin has one of the most primere and largest collection of these Olympic / Titanic cards anywhere in the world. He pulled a few examples from his collection including this graded one. Although the condition is a bit worn and creased, it is still a very recognizable card which I was able to get at half the price. The card is an incredible link to the Titanic before that fateful day in April 1912.

Success.

Stay safe.
If you're happy than I am happy for you. Congrats! It's always good to be excited about a purchase.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 08-10-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
If you're happy than I am happy for you. Congrats! It's always good to be excited about a purchase.

Thanks! I was more concerened about finding an authentic one and due to the fact of it being graded and the collection it came out of, I am pleased. This is more for my personal collection than anything. Not having any in hand, esspecially if they were stellar examples, would have been a lot tougher. The card still carries a strong image even with the horizontal center crease and the color pops.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I don't know anything about the card. But I've got my MA in US History from Adams State University, Alamosa, CO. Good luck on your final year under such crazy circumstances.

Getting your MA is definitely worth it. I loved all my classes. If you got a graduate degree, what topic would be your focus?

Also, my apologies for not responding to your previous message. My history degree is more of a back up plan as my goal is to be an equipment manager in either college football or the NFL, which is the track I am currently on. Not sure what my focus would be if I were to pursue a graduate degree. Possibly WW2 or Civil Rights/Human Rights as those are my interests. This year will be crazy for sure, I'm just hoping everyone is responsible when we return to campus and follows the guidelines put forth for us. If we all do the right thing and stay positive, we will get past this!