NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-27-2020, 12:39 AM

Default Question for people who began collecting in the early 1990s.

Did collectors chase mostly cards they were ripping from packs or were they also looking for stuff from the 1980s such as Clemens, Boggs, and Gwynn rookies?

When I began collecting in the mid 1980s i only cared about the cards from packs I was ripping.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:51 AM
Matt Ferroni

The former for me. Collecting was no fun simply to buy the cards, but rather to spend about 3x as much on packs to try to get the card yourself (i.e. me and 89 UD Griffey)! I admired the cards of the earlier 80s - Clemens, Boggs, Ripken but would never buy them for $50-100 if I could spend the same amount chasing Kevin Maas and Phil Plantier RCs.

Last edited by mferronibc; 05-27-2020 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Dustin
Dustin Mar.ino

I started collecting in 1992. I didn’t even know what a rookie was. I only wanted cards from packs. I liked 1992 Topps and I chased the Gold cards. I liked most of the sets in 1992. Fleer and Donruss from that time had great inserts. So I would say I chased INSERTS of the player l liked.

When I finally learned about rookies and read a few Beckett’s I wanted specific cards Ripken rookie, Griffey RC, Frank Thomas , and of course mantle mays and a other guys I never heard of that were valuable .
Old 05-27-2020, 05:53 PM
Tim Odeen

I was 5 in '91 when my parents started buying me packs of Topps. They sold them at our local grocery store. I can remember them because of the 40th Anniversary logo on them. I had no clue who was good or who was bad, I just liked the action pictures. The most famous players were the players on the local farm team - Billings Mustangs. We went to the games and I got the team sets and tried getting autographs.

I remained a pack collector even as I learned more player names, started watching games on tv, etc. Eventually in middle school I added buying specific cards in addition to pack buying. I fell away from packs about my senior year of high school. In college I started collecting 1961 Topps, and then there was a phase where I didn't really care to collect cards very much. I started buying autographed baseballs for a time. When I was about 22, I donated most of my cards to the YMCA (It was like 50k - 70k individual cards from the early 1990s). I kept the Reds cards, rookie cards, and some sets I had been working on. I got married and bought a little bit here and there. Then about 5-6 years I go I became more heavily involved with vintage Reds collectibles, continuing the 1961 Topps set, and buying Wheaties backs. I no longer buy packs, and I no longer collect modern. Last modern cards I bought were in 2005-06. The Topps and Bowman Heritage sets.

I buy maybe 1-3 items a month now.
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 05-27-2020, 06:56 PM
Ben North

I collected from around 87-91 the first time. Bought anything Wade Boggs I could find and opened many many cases of cards.

My second venture was from around 1995-2002. Still bought anything Wade Boggs. Only opened boxes to sell. I was on eBay from almost the beginning. I never lost $ on a single box I opened till around 1999. Then very quickly it went from never losing $ to almost always losing money opening boxes.

Got back into collecting around 2006 and still buy Wade Boggs. I have opened a few junk wax boxes for amusement only.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:24 PM
Stan

Location: Pacific Bell Park (now Oracle Park) & Levi's Stadium

When I first started collecting, it was opening those packs and hoping to get my team (Giants) players. Now that I have way too many cards, I've bought/traded for Giants cards only with a few exceptions.

Last edited by giants1249er; 05-27-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 PM

I started collecting in 1987 at age 11. I feel like it was at least a couple years before I ever bought an individual card that was published before 1987. It was all about buying packs (and eventually boxes). I can remember buying probably 6 wax boxes of 1990 Donruss that year. Blah.

Now, it's probably been 10 years since I bought a current-year pack.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:35 PM
Curt

I started in 78 and aside from trading for, or trying to trade for slightly older cards between friends, I just had packs.

The guy who got me into cards would vacation periodically in Spokane and would visit a card shop out there that sounded magical to me and always brought back neat older cards (50s). He would never trade any to me though!

It would mostly be pack busting for me until I started buying all the full sets (Topps/Fleer/Donruss) via mail order in 1982, and then I continued to buy packs too.

Eventually I discovered a couple places that sold older cards and even though I also discovered a few mail order opportunities before 82, I can only ever recall buying collector sets, like RGI or TCMA.

I slowed to a near stop around 88-89 when I was in the Navy. I would still get the 3 sets thru 1989 (plus Score in 88) I think, then would later have to back fill the ones i missed, as I started back up full steam around 1993.

After getting sucked into ALL wax in the mid 90s, I finally decided it just was not worth the money around 1998-2000 range, slowly weening myself off the habit. Packs were getting more expensive and I realized that it was just better to buy what you wanted. I felt ripped off when I would spend $80 on a box and get pretty much nothing but base cards and a few inserts that might be "worth" 50 cents the next year.

I have not bought any quantity of newer packs in the last 20 years aside from a rare "older" bargain box here and there for a fun nostalgic rip party. Last one was 2 boxes of 2004 Donruss Team Heroes sometime last year that I got for under $50 for the pair. Even single random packs, which I used to pick up from time to time or get for Xmas from my wife, don't really appeal to me anymore. Have not ripped anything new (current year of issue) in at least 7-10 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
I started collecting in 1987 at age 11. I feel like it was at least a couple years before I ever bought an individual card that was published before 1987. It was all about buying packs (and eventually boxes). I can remember buying probably 6 wax boxes of 1990 Donruss that year. Blah.

Now, it's probably been 10 years since I bought a current-year pack.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWBlue View Post
Did collectors chase mostly cards they were ripping from packs or were they also looking for stuff from the 1980s such as Clemens, Boggs, and Gwynn rookies?

When I began collecting in the mid 1980s i only cared about the cards from packs I was ripping.
I began collecting in '88-'89. Starting out it was packs upon packs which evolved into building a team set and further building a base set. I don't think I started focusing on certain players until a couple of years later. I remember when a kid would have the latest of someone (i.e. Will Clark) it was more desirable than getting an older card of that same player. A kids mind at work I guess.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:23 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
The former for me. Collecting was no fun simply to buy the cards, but rather to spend about 3x as much on packs to try to get the card yourself (i.e. me and 89 UD Griffey)! I admired the cards of the earlier 80s - Clemens, Boggs, Ripken but would never buy them for $50-100 if I could spend the same amount chasing Kevin Maas and Phil Plantier RCs.
That was me...I was a Ricky Jordan guy in 89...hahaha....

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-22-2020, 03:26 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
It would mostly be pack busting for me until I started buying all the full sets (Topps/Fleer/Donruss) via mail order in 1982, and then I continued to buy packs too.
We are the same age and area... I remember getting my first full set via mail order...1982 Donruss...it was insane I had the whole set at once. Couldn't wait to see what the new Ricky Henderson card looked like...

We had the Perrinville shop...I got to go once or twice a year with my list of 50's and 60's commons and drive them nuts...haha. Spent 20 bucks and think I was in heaven...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 06-25-2020, 07:58 PM
Curt

Maybe once Covid clears up a bit and the world goes back to normal, we can meet. I could use someone in the flesh, who can converse about baseball cards for more than 8 seconds (I think that is my wife's record ).

I used to be a little more active in roaming the shops and shows, but in the last decade or so it seems that making those trips was simply a chance to chat with the owners and I rarely found anything aI wanted or was priced where I felt it was better than just buying one online.

When I was working on the Eastside and found myself out in the "field" and close enough, I used to hit DJs in Renton around lunchtime. When my kids were younger, we drove down a few times on a Saturday, but they lost interest fast and a 80+ mile round trip drive to a card shop just doesn't make sense these days.
Old 06-26-2020, 02:04 PM
Matt Ferroni

Ha Curt I'm down. Agreed, I am thankful my wife tries her best to engage in these conversations and humors me when I show her my latest purchases, it isn't quite the same as sharing stories with fellow collectors.

John, you and I seem to share the same nostalgia for the glory of 80s-90s collecting as kids and the same philosophy on P2020 collecting. It is nice to have communities like this to make connections in the hobby (as I wait anxiously for my 1 year old son to get to the age we can share it together - here's hoping!)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Maybe once Covid clears up a bit and the world goes back to normal, we can meet.

When I was working on the Eastside and found myself out in the "field" and close enough, I used to hit DJs in Renton around lunchtime. When my kids were younger, we drove down a few times on a Saturday, but they lost interest fast and a 80+ mile round trip drive to a card shop just doesn't make sense these days.
I love in WA State, southeast corner. Same problem for me, too far to drive for a local card shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 07-05-2020, 06:35 AM
Jeff

I started collecting as a kid in 82 and can clearly remember trading cards in school and ripping wax. By 85 I found my dads 1950s cards and was hooked on vintage. The only way I was able to get vintage was trading, yard sales, and thrift stores. By 87, I was buying sets thru mail and still ripping wax. Buying individual cards just wasn't happening, as a kid just didnt have the money. Finding a valuable card was all about what you had in your collection from previous years, Card shops seemed to pop up overnight. I remember drooling looking at cards in glass cases but thankful for what I had already
Old 07-06-2020, 11:56 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferronibc View Post
Same here, packs all the way. I also remember chasing John Olerud, Ben McDonald, and several others I'm sure.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:51 PM

I seem to recall it was mostly cards from packs, but there were some sports card stores around to get specific cards. While I was collecting baseball back then, I wasn't doing anything in particular with them. For me, it was football mania, since the local team really picked up in 1988 and didn't fall apart for another 10 years or so.