NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-25-2020, 06:25 AM

Default How was Chantilly cardshow?

Chance I can make it today if worth going. Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 07:51 AM

It was great!!! There was hardly any pre WWI Vintage, so I didn't buy anything. But the place was busy, tons of tables, and it was great to see some old friends in person. It felt like old times -- 2019 -- which was badly needed and greatly appreciated.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM
Michael S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
It was great!!! There was hardly any pre WWI Vintage, so I didn't buy anything. But the place was busy, tons of tables, and it was great to see some old friends in person. It felt like old times -- 2019 -- which was badly needed and greatly appreciated.
This exactly. It was great. Getting to walk around at a show, talk to baseball fans about the World Series, cards, and life was sorely missed. As Ryan said - virtually no vintage. Oh, and Willards BBQ around the corner was great!!!

1951 Bowman - Mantle
T206 Cobb - Bat Off
M116 Wagner - Blue
E98 - Wagner
1947 Bond Bread - Robinson
1923 Exhibit - Stengel
1936 R314 - Goudey Premium Wide Pens #44
Old 10-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
https://roanoke.com/news/local/virgi...aa7ac4d6f.html

And a card show was allowed to take place? Incredible!
Old 10-25-2020, 03:30 PM
Ryan Phi

What time did you guys go? I was there on Saturday from 9am to about 1pm or so and I didnt think it was that busy at the time. I was actually quite disappointed with it but I only collect Clemente's and Sandberg's as well as tickets. There were two different dealers that seemed to specialize strictly in Clemente's and I got their contact info, but other than that, there wasnt much.

Also, I found prices to be ridiculously high. I found the only 1971 Topps Clemente PSA 8 at the show which I was actually considering to buy until the dealer wanted $1800 with no room on negotiating. You can find those for $1050-$1150 or so. Also looking at a 1960 Topps Clemente, PSA 8 but the price was about double then what it goes for so I didnt even try to negotiate. I found prices quite high and can just look at the major auctions for better deals.

I ended up with a 1963 Topps Clemente, some Sandberg things for my son since thats who he is named after, plus some junk wax from the 90s for him to open.

If your into a wide range of baseball, football, basketball, modern and vintage, then the show was decent, but Im just specific in what I collect. Also, I really didnt find the place that busy when I was there. At times, you could hardly hear a sound in the building.
Old 10-25-2020, 03:31 PM
Ryan Phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
https://roanoke.com/news/local/virgi...aa7ac4d6f.html

And a card show was allowed to take place? Incredible!
Actually, it was very easy to social distance. Tables were quite a bit spread out and as mentioned, I just didnt find it that busy, especially compared to the Tri-star show I was at in Houston in February.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Default Chantilly Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
Actually, it was very easy to social distance. Tables were quite a bit spread out and as mentioned, I just didnt find it that busy, especially compared to the Tri-star show I was at in Houston in February.
I felt VERY safe at the show and had a great time. Was able to catch up with friends at the show and at diner. Great time with a lot of laughs. Picked a bunch of photos, a few t206, a few ruth cards, and a bunch of 50s and 60s star and rookies.

Great job Joe D and team for giving collectors a choice to attend a great show.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:15 PM
Ma.tt Whi.te

I was there Friday and Saturday morning.

Very spread out, never seemed crowded or like people were too close. The customers that were there were spending $ though.

There was a bunch of prewar stuff I was interested in but prices were just too high. Like too high to even waste time trying to negotiate. Only a few vintage guys had good prices including Don Hontz (Good meeting you BTW)
Old 10-25-2020, 08:34 PM
Howard Chasser

Default I was set up at the show

As mentioned - great care and focus on distancing and PPE. Dealers and staff had temperature checks coming in each morning (not sure about attendees). Masks required and checked for everyone. Very well run from a safety perspective. Friday was the "busy" day. Saturday was much quieter and Sunday quieter still. Someone made mention that there was some local news reporting questioning the safety of the show. As mentioned by others - it was great to see old friends, make some new ones and place names with faces of some net 54 members.

Dealers reports were mixed - a number said it was a great show for them business-wise. A few less so. While I agree that the room was weighted to the "new shiny stuff", there was quite a bit of nice vintage in the room - Way more post war than pre war and while I agree some of it trying to set new pricing records, there were some deals to be had as well.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:12 AM
Don Hontz

Well back here in Portland Maine after doing the Chantilly show---the Promoters did a wonderful job of setting up the show--Well Spread out and many safety precautions.--First show I did in 10 months and it was Outstanding---The serious buyers came from all over the country and they were there to spend money. The high demand cards did sell. The crowd was ok Friday and Saturday---Sunday was weak as most 3 days shows are. From what I heard, some dealers did great, and some so-so, but just nice to do a show again and catch up with old friends and meeting new Net54 members---Had great chats with Ryan, Scott, Andrew, Matt, Joe, Toby, Michael and many others. I now have to try to restock my inventory, so Net 54 Members, I am buying if you have some vintage and high demand cards to sell. Great show and nice to be back in Maine. Don
Old 10-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Brian K

Default in from Oregon

I thought it was REALLY well done. I totally forgot to ask if folks were on the boards or not, my bad, I was just giddy to have a show to go to. Dealers were great, I forgot to grab business cards, so I FAILED at every aspect of networking. That said, the Mrs even got into the action trying to help me finish up the Diamond Stars, T201 and 1959 sets. Got a stack of cards, burned through the war chest, and left happy. Thank you CSA!
Old 10-26-2020, 07:01 PM
And.rew Fin.kel.man

I went all three days and had a great time. Was nice to be able to look at cards in person again, and to catch up with some friends. As usual, not an overwhelming amount of prewar in the room, but a few dealers had very nice stuff. Fingers crossed for a Philly Show in December.

Here is my Chantilly pickup... Overgraded with those corners, but I’m happy with the overall look of the card, and thrilled to add it to my collection. Thanks, Don!

Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Don Hontz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post
I went all three days and had a great time. Was nice to be able to look at cards in person again, and to catch up with some friends. As usual, not an overwhelming amount of prewar in the room, but a few dealers had very nice stuff. Fingers crossed for a Philly Show in December.

Here is my Chantilly pickup... Overgraded with those corners, but I’m happy with the overall look of the card, and thrilled to add it to my collection. Thanks, Don!

One of my favorite Babe Ruth cards. Earliest Yankee card and love the pose. Glad you like it. Show was a fun time
Old 10-30-2020, 09:55 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That's a great card. Congrats
Sounds like the show was a lot of fun agan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1975 View Post

Last edited by Leon; 10-30-2020 at 09:55 AM.