NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2019, 06:52 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Would this kind of grading company interest you?

I am in the midst of a good career as a partner with a nice smaller firm, so I'm not going to drop everything to pursue this, but if the costs were comparable to the standard grading companies (the big ones) how would you feel about a TPGC that used laser measures to verify cards sizes and detect trimming irregularities and scanners to verify surface quality and color? I would think that that sort of equipment exists and is not prohibitively expensive.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:15 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Anything that makes grading more accurate would be an improvement.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default PSA Says "No Way"

Quick story. I know a vintage card dealer whose son is a computer software expert. A number of years ago father and son approached PSA and made it clear that the software to measure a baseball card in ALL the ways imaginable could be easily developed (taking out the human element completely).
PSA immediately rejected the idea of pursuing this. Is anyone surprised? If anything is going to change, it's going to be through technology and a NEW company, not the current ones that exist today, for obvious reasons.

Thank you and take care.

Last edited by marzoumanian; 06-18-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:06 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I don’t understand how this sort of technology could account for natural legitimate size variances of issues. Especially with pre war and regional type issues. Many were factory cut with some size variation that are not trimmed. I’m also not convinced a computer program could detect other issues like pressing, or chemical baths etc. I guess humans aren’t doing the job well enough either but perhaps some sort of combo of AI and human eyes could be an improvement. It really all comes down to the integrity of the people in the company and the amount of time and effort put into each submission.

Computer laser measurement for modern standard size cards would probably work well but it gets a lot tricky with all the oddball sized pre war cards, with different methods of how they were cut and distrubuted.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 06-18-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:10 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Also using a very in-depth technological process on each card I would think could be time consuming and more expensive , but maybe could be viable for higher end submissions. I just can’t see this type of effort going into every bulk $8 submission.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I don’t understand how this sort of technology could account for natural legitimate size variances of issues. Especially with pre war and regional type issues. Many were factory cut with some size variation that are not trimmed. I’m also not convinced a computer program could detect other issues like pressing, or chemical baths etc. I guess humans aren’t doing the job well enough either but perhaps some sort of combo of AI and human eyes could be an improvement. It really all comes down to the integrity of the people in the company and the amount of time and effort put into each submission.

Computer laser measurement for modern standard size cards would probably work well but it gets a lot tricky with all the oddball sized pre war cards, with different methods of how they were cut and distrubuted.
Also many doctored cards measure just fine, they are soaked and pressed to stretch them before being trimmed.

Edit to add I see David already made this point and he is absolutely right.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Sean Sullivan

What if the technology measured the card and printed out the % tolerance on the label (unsightly, maybe on a web site)?
For example, a 2" wide card measures 1.97"; then the collector knows exactly what they are buying.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:14 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

If the new grading company could "prove" their system was able to determine authenticity and detect alterations I would be interested.

I think if the new company was able to show through side by side comparisons (or whatever) their system found altered cards the other TPGs couldn't that could be a huge selling point.

Last edited by D.P.Johnson; 06-18-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:32 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

In 2019, machines can't even cut 2019 Topps product correctly, so you think machines can measure a card correctly? Cards can be stretched to a larger size then cut back down to normal size. What's the solution for that?

Here's a real solution. Quit relying on machines, TPGs or anything else and educate yourself on what alterations to look for. I'm proud to say I don't own an altered card in my collection. Never have, never will. I'm not saying I've never bought one, I think we all have. But those purchases were quickly identified and returned to the seller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Miscut.jpg (58.7 KB, 573 views)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Barry Sloate

I believe some type of technology is inevitable, because what this debacle has proven is humans are not able to do this properly. Even if they could allot more time to examine each card, it's possible that the human eye is unable to detect these alterations, while some kind of infrared light might be able to do so quite easily.

Somebody needs to figure this out because the current system is unacceptable.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default I Agree

I agree, DP Johnson. What it is going to take, in my humble opinion, is a multimillionaire who is also a big card collector, learning that he has been burned by the likes of Gary Moser. Perhaps multiple times. That individual is going to be SO angry that he will step up and offer/spend the start-up money needed to get the process started. It might take 3-5 years and, yes, he would have to prove that the technology works (perhaps by setting up a booth at the NSCC) by showing multiple examples. But that is the only way. The technology exists TODAY. I know it has already been stated that people with big bucks don't care about this issue because their cards have been slabbed and they don't want to admit that they have been duped. Maybe that's true. Maybe I'm naive. Time will tell. Who is going to step up? We shall see.

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:24 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
If the new grading company could "prove" their system was able to determine authenticity and detect alterations I would be interested.

I think if the new company was able to show through side by side comparisons (or whatever) their system found altered cards the other TPGs couldn't that could be a huge selling point.
I was thinking the same thing. Demonstrate conclusively how the new system is superior by catching alterations the other companies are currently missing.

Regarding the failings of people and the human eye, I'm thinking if you have 20 graders, at any given time one or two might be new at the job, or tired, or have eye strain at the end of another long day squinting at cards. Machines don't get tired so their performance won't degrade, or vary as, say, from one individual grader to another.

As to pressing before trimming, why not add measuring card thickness too, including thickness uniformity (is the card thinner at the corners.) And it might sound silly, and maybe it is, but even weighing cards might detect paper loss from trimming. Obviously, tolerances for various issues would need to be established, since cards were not produced with rigorous quality/consistency controls.

But yes, if a new grading company came along with the commitment to constantly look for new ways to improve their process, that is what's needed. Black light, or infrared, or whatever........

It might be some years from now, but I believe eventually there will be a tool one will be able to pass over a surface (like a baseball card) and the tool will be able to perform carbon dating without damaging the card at all. So if there is anything modern on a vintage card besides a human fingerprint, someday it should be detectable.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Peter Spaeth

People love to talk about technology. Has anyone here seen a machine, computer, device, whatever, reliably authenticate and grade a card? Until that happens, with due respect, it just feels like feel-good talk to me.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-18-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:55 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzoumanian View Post
Quick story. I know a vintage card dealer whose son is a computer software expert. A number of years ago father and son approached PSA and made it clear that the software to measure a baseball card in ALL the ways imaginable could be easily developed (taking out the human element completely).
PSA immediately rejected the idea of pursuing this. Is anyone surprised? If anything is going to change, it's going to be through technology and a NEW company, not the current ones that exist today, for obvious reasons.

Thank you and take care.
I share this opinion and have stated it many times here on Net54
Old 06-18-2019, 02:01 PM

I would greatly appreciate it if PSA would have deemed these scammers' cards as Altered or Trimmed and not cards that I know for 100% fact were untouched to be minsize/EOT/ or the dreaded Altered Stock. Yet, I still continue to submit for their opinions, mostly for monetary value reasons.

Last edited by murphy8276; 06-18-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:20 AM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I am in the midst of a good career as a partner with a nice smaller firm, so I'm not going to drop everything to pursue this, but if the costs were comparable to the standard grading companies (the big ones) how would you feel about a TPGC that used laser measures to verify cards sizes and detect trimming irregularities and scanners to verify surface quality and color? I would think that that sort of equipment exists and is not prohibitively expensive.
This scenario is almost certain to either replace or enhance the current system. PSA and Beckett will want to continue to have a human who can disregard the data and slap a preferential grade on for their friends.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:24 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram99 View Post
This scenario is almost certain to either replace or enhance the current system. PSA and Beckett will want to continue to have a human who can disregard the data and slap a preferential grade on for their friends.
And you think that couldn't happen in a tech heavy company?
All it takes is someone with access and the authorizations to change the database.

I'm not crazy about the whole "use technology to solve every problem" concept.
It becomes just a different crutch than the current system. And one that's just as easily broken.