NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-30-2022, 09:17 PM

Default Bouton - Ball Four

As a collector of 1969 topps and listening to Ball Four by Jim Bouton for the first time...it has made the 1969 (and 70) topps sets much more real to me.

While he has flashbacks to his Yankee days the story focuses on his attempt to hang on to his career (as well as several others starting/finishing) with the 1969 Seattle Pilots.

Also not sure why topps didn't print a 69, 70 or 71 Bouton?... appeared in 73 games in '69

Best,
Ed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejstel View Post

Also not sure why topps didn't print a 69, 70 or 71 Bouton?... appeared in 73 games in '69
After looking at his stats 69 and 71 are understandable but no 70 card is puzzling, maybe the late season trade to Houston had something to do with it.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:56 AM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman View Post
After looking at his stats 69 and 71 are understandable but no 70 card is puzzling, maybe the late season trade to Houston had something to do with it.
Bouton retired in mid-season of 1970 to become a sportscaster for ABC in New York. It's chronicled in his follow-up to "Ball Four," "I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally." As for the lack of a card for 1969 and 1970, maybe Topps couldn't get Bouton to sign.

I still have the hardcover edition that my grandfather purchased for me back in 1974 and it remains one of my favorite treasures. Sister Mary Immaculate, the 8th-grade teacher/ school principal once grabbed it out of my hand to see if I was reading something inappropriate as I held my breath. She looked at the pictures and handed it back to me.

Phil aka Tere1071

Upgrading my 1953 Bowman Color, and Topps Baseball sets for 1971, 1972, 1974, and 1975.

Still needing to complete my 1970 and 1973 Topps Baseball sets.
Old 09-01-2022, 07:05 AM
Tom S

Quote:
As a collector of 1969 topps and listening to Ball Four by Jim Bouton for the first time...it has made the 1969 (and 70) topps sets much more real to me.

While he has flashbacks to his Yankee days the story focuses on his attempt to hang on to his career (as well as several others starting/finishing) with the 1969 Seattle Pilots.

Best,
Ed

Ball Four caused quite the controversy back in 1969. Many Major Leaguer's were upset with him. Tame by today's standards. Topps may have erred on the side of caution by not printing his card in 1970.
Old 09-01-2022, 11:29 AM

Thank you for the feedback....so many names in Ball Four just make 1969 & 70 Topps come to life...I'm also thinking to share with my son who plays travel baseball...all the nuance shared of making teams, on the fringe, personalities (coaches, players, admin)....so much perspective shared in the book.

I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally= wow...thank you so much for sharing...never knew it existed...today is a great day....I will search for it now.

Best,
Ed

Old 09-01-2022, 11:37 AM

Quote:

I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally= wow...thank you so much for sharing...never knew it existed...
Not a great book, Bouton just defends himself throughout the book... pretty boring actually... however Bouton talking about how Doug Rader used to torment Jesus Alou is funny as hell... particularly the birthday cake story.
Old 09-01-2022, 12:22 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Bouton wrote Ball Four in 1969 and it came out in 1970. It was hugely controversial, and it exposed some of the players cheating on their wives, and so on. He must've put up with a lot of abuse in 1970, especially on the road. Last year I won Jim's 1970 road jersey in a LOTG auction. I think it is so cool, thinking of Jim putting that shirt on, facing players on his, and opposing teams, and wondering what all was going on in his intelligent, creative mind. Jim took this shirt with him when he left the Houston clubhouse, gave it to a friend, and from there it went to me. Of all my gamers, this one has the best back story, and is therefore the most interesting to me.

By the way, he also wrote a book "I managed Good but Boy Did They Play Bad" too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jb.jpg (141.8 KB, 304 views)
Old 09-01-2022, 12:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

Bouton was ostracized, and maybe Topps did the same. One of the great moments after the book came out was Pete Rose screaming Fuck You Shakespeare at him.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-01-2022 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:18 AM
Tom S

In Spring training 1979, nearly 10 years after Ball Four was published, Bouton tried to interview Thurman Munson at spring training. To put it nicely, the interview attempt did not go well. I remember seeing the video clip on the nightly news.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:59 PM
J@son Per1

I liked the book quite a bit. I read it around 30 years ago. The stuff about him negotiating his contract in the reserve clause era was very entertaining.
Old 09-05-2022, 04:15 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Bouton wrote Ball Four in 1969 and it came out in 1970. It was hugely controversial, and it exposed some of the players cheating on their wives, and so on. He must've put up with a lot of abuse in 1970, especially on the road. Last year I won Jim's 1970 road jersey in a LOTG auction. I think it is so cool, thinking of Jim putting that shirt on, facing players on his, and opposing teams, and wondering what all was going on in his intelligent, creative mind. Jim took this shirt with him when he left the Houston clubhouse, gave it to a friend, and from there it went to me. Of all my gamers, this one has the best back story, and is therefore the most interesting to me.

By the way, he also wrote a book "I managed Good but Boy Did They Play Bad" too.
I've seen two other Bouton jerseys. The first one was at a show in the Los Angeles area around 1988 or 89. I remember skipping work that Friday to attend. A seller had a 1963 Yankee home jersey that belonged to Bouton. What I remembered most was the asking price of $650, and that it had a dirt stain on the middle front. Unfortunately, I had already spent half of his asking price on cards and I couldn't purchase it.

At the 1991 National Convention held in Anaheim, a slew of restored 1969 Seattle Pilots home jerseys was being sold, including Bouton's. As you probably know the Seattle Pilots became the Milwaukee Brewers one week before the start of the 1970 season. The trunks of the 1969 Pilots jerseys were stripped to convert them into Brewers jerseys. Well, when the jerseys were found they were converted back to the Seattle Pilots using replicas of the front stitching. They looked almost like 1969 once again, but there were slight variations on the baseball logo that distinguished them from the true originals. I have seen three originals, including a player's jersey with the 100th Anniversary patch. The collector also had the restored version where I saw the slight differences. Next, another collector had a Batboy's home jersey and a pair of Joe Schultz's pants which he had found at an antique swap meet.

Going back to the Pilots Bouton jersey, it was the most expensive of the group (a low four-figured price). It had already sold, but the seller had it displayed in his booth for display. I have the book, which is more important to me.

Phil aka Tere1071

Last edited by Tere1071; 09-05-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 12:51 PM

Pretty cool shot of manager Joe Schultz in the background of Jerry McNertney's 1970 T card... FYI

Last edited by Gr8Beldini; 09-10-2022 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2022, 04:30 PM

As I went to look for a 1970 Topps McNertney/Schultz combo autograph card.....

.....I saw the 1973 Billy Martin with Topps never listing Schultz's name...interesting that of all prople it is Schultz?...

....also sharing a signed 1969 with a lot of signature area real estate...seems like a funny guy to sign it where he did.

Old 09-10-2022, 04:54 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
As I went to look for a 1970 Topps McNertney/Schultz combo autograph card.....

.....I saw the 1973 Billy Martin with Topps never listing Schultz's name...interesting that of all prople it is Schultz?...

....also sharing a signed 1969 with a lot of signature area real estate...seems like a funny guy to sign it where he did.

"Pound some Budweiser"

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-13-2022, 09:07 PM

Great book. As far as him missing cards in certain years, remember in the book he talks about how important the union was and how the players received double their normal compensation. He then adds a line sarcastically saying “I’m sure it was from the goodness of their hearts”. So who knows, maybe there was in fact some bad blood between Bouton and Topps.

In regards to how other players are depicted in the book, I must confess it forever altered my impression of Frank Crosseti and not in a good way. Bouton made him out to be a high pitched kiss ass.

And finally, not too many folks know Bouton was involved with inventing Big League Chew bubble gum!
Old 09-17-2022, 08:30 AM

Thanks...for all the feedback...the book started off 'slow' and within boundaries...I was even thinking (at that time to suggest to my son as a 15y/o travel bb player)....I am now about 3/4 through the book and it has full gone off the rails. No sharing with my son.

I like it though..he was a "thinker"... cracks me up as he keeps repeating...I think Comer doesn't like me...every time I am around him Comer says...get him the f away from me.....and Comer didn't even know he was writing a first of its kind book

Old 09-17-2022, 10:52 AM
Tom S

Does anybody remember the "Ball Four" tV series that aired on CBS in the mid 1970's. It starred Bouton and only lasted a few episodes.

I vaguely remember watching an episode on a Saturday afternoon, probably after it was cancelled.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:46 PM
Phil

I do, I saw every episode in its brief prime time scheduling. No, it wasn't very good, but it was Jim Bouton, and at least he received some extra exposure; hopefully, it got others interested in buying the book. Ben Davidson was also in the cast.

Ejstel, as for your son, my grandfather gave me a copy when I was 12 years old. He had found it in a thrift store and he saw a baseball on the slipcover and gave it to me; he had no idea what it contained (nor did I until I read it for the first time.) Though I didn't get all of its "nuances" at the time it was enough to warp my mind. At what age would you recommend your son to read "Ball Four?"

Enjoy!

Phil aka Tere1071

Last edited by Tere1071; 09-17-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 06:58 PM
Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Not a great book, Bouton just defends himself throughout the book... pretty boring actually... however Bouton talking about how Doug Rader used to torment Jesus Alou is funny as hell... particularly the birthday cake story.
According to the story, Jesus had a rather weak stomach. The book pales in comparison to "Ball Four," but I did like the ending section where Bouton shared some of the feedback he had received. The one that struck me was the father who blamed Johnny Antonelli for his son's "problems" for not giving him an autograph.

Phil aka Tere1071
Old 09-18-2022, 05:41 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I saw Bouton pitch in the old NJ Met League a few times, he was a nice guy and would alway sign autographs after games.