NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-23-2022, 05:27 AM
J@son Per1

Default Protecting sets in a binder

In the past year I have built a few 70s sets, nothing that great except for one set (75 mini) where I have been striving for nmt+ quality. I have these sets filed like books in a library. I use the nice ultra pro sheets and notebooks and store them on a smooth wooden slab. Still I worry that the bottom cards in the set might compress and wonder about warping over time, etc.

Is there basically no way around these issues if you store your sets in binders long term or am I just being paranoid? Thanks!
Old 09-23-2022, 07:54 AM

I've been storing vintage like that for years, and haven't noticed any adverse impact on the cards. You do want to make sure that they are arranged firmly, not tightly. If you have a shelf which can hold, say, 10 albums, but only have 6, you should place something against them so they stand straight up as if there were 10 - otherwise you may see them droop a bit which MIGHT lead to some warping or worse.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:01 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

I've gone to locking ring binders with slipcases and use full size page lifters front and back in each album. Much better that regular 3 ring binders IMO.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:11 AM

Through the years I have tried many different methods, but they all lead back to 3 ring binders with Pro inserts. This is the easiest and safest way for me to enjoy the sets. Yes, I even have raw Mantles stored in the sets. The only exception is if the card is graded, and then I have a picture of the graded card cut to size and inserted in the binder. The only problem I have had in storing them in this manner is; when I insert them into the sleeve sometimes the corner can get dinged while inserting - be careful.

Of course, always use inserts that fit the size of the card.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:53 AM
Emlily Ell.is

I've never used any type of padding or other stuff. I've just had them stacked on shelves. I put all of my Topps flagship sets from 57-22 into notebooks from a 1957 Brooks RC to a 1987 Topps base card. They're all in just regular pages. Is this something i Need to change?

I have done deals with: snowman, exhibitman, roquan, vintagetoppscards, bobsbbcards, sayitaintso, tsp06, gorditadogg, 4reals, bnorth, clydepepper, jcfowler6, jimmer77, tsp06, Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey, swk473 plus others.
Old 09-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Al Richter

Mine are in binders and arranged firmly like dewy's. There may be better ways now, like the one Dave suggests, but I am much to lazy to change anything at this point
Old 09-23-2022, 06:51 PM

I think paranoia is the right word...

I always stored in binders and ultra pro sheets...but had custom cabinets made so I could store the binders horizontally. I was always just too worried that I would get some sagging/warping/etc and horizontally seemed the best way to go

and I preferred the side loading ultra pro sheets to avoid slippage out the top...not sure ultra pro even makes those anymore
Old 09-24-2022, 05:13 AM
J@son Per1

The slip cases are an interesting idea. I don’t think ultra pro makes them and I’m kind of invested in a couple hundo of ultra pro equipment that matches nicely. I like the idea of those slip cases though.

Gonefishin I have been doing the same thing with my graded cards in sets. Photographs in the binders. Great minds.

Sounds like most go for vertical although we have a dissenting opinion on that one and the guy is a Yaz fan so he must know what he’s talking about

Last edited by Kutcher55; 09-24-2022 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:18 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I bought slip cases and binders from Archival Methods, and they are good products. I still have some sets in them, but I have increasingly moved away from binders in favor of of cards/sets in toploaders/Card Savers in boxes. I didn't do this because I'm afraid of damage, however. I've successfully stored cards in binders for decades with zero issues. The reason I have shifted strategies is due to the fact that I am starting to collect more variations, and I don't want to worry about having to rearrange an entire binder set when I didn't leave enough empty spaces for the variations of a given card. My OCD demands that the variations of a card all be side by side and not have some at the end of a set. I know I'm weird. I also like being able to "play" with my cards when I want to. I like arranging and then rearranging my early 50s sets. Sometimes I want them in chronological order, and sometimes I want them arranged by team.
Old 09-24-2022, 09:00 AM
Mike Lenart

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
I bought slip cases and binders from Archival Methods, and they are good products. I still have some sets in them, but I have increasingly moved away from binders in favor of of cards/sets in toploaders/Card Savers in boxes. I didn't do this because I'm afraid of damage, however. I've successfully stored cards in binders for decades with zero issues. The reason I have shifted strategies is due to the fact that I am starting to collect more variations, and I don't want to worry about having to rearrange an entire binder set when I didn't leave enough empty spaces for the variations of a given card. My OCD demands that the variations of a card all be side by side and not have some at the end of a set. I know I'm weird. I also like being able to "play" with my cards when I want to. I like arranging and then rearranging my early 50s sets. Sometimes I want them in chronological order, and sometimes I want them arranged by team.
My cards have been in binders for years with no issues.

I too have gotten into variations. My sets from 1965 on are in team order but those from 1964 or earlier are arranged in numerical order. So when I get a variation in a set in numerical order, say like number 7, I have to move almost 600 cards to fit it in. (I'm like you, variations MUST go next to or on top or bottom of each other.) I am very careful but really enjoy looking at and holding those cards again.

PS You are not weird. My wife calls my collecting habits "Quirky".

Mike
Old 09-25-2022, 01:08 PM

I read somewhere that it’s best to lay albums fast instead of standing them up. Anyone else hear this?
Old 09-25-2022, 03:23 PM
Al Stein

I've said this before here. I have a set of 65T more or less NM. I had it in a 3-ring binder, mostly Ultra Pro pages, stored vertically, for about 25 years. Gravity (I guess) caused the tops of the pages to pull away from the binder spine and curl the top left cards.

I took all the top left cards out and pressed them down. Probably not NM anymore but none got creases, so the damage overall was minor. I now lay the binder flat.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2022, 05:42 PM
J@son Per1

That settles it. I’m going horizontal!

Now I just need to find the space.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:16 AM
J0hn Collin$

I hate binders. Luckily I'm not primarily a set collector. Though I used them as a kid back in the 80's and 90's, something about binders as an adult just doesn't sit well with me for some reason. I think it has to do with liking to flip through large groups of cards at a time and rearrange on the fly individually. So yes, I'm the guy who has all 752 1971 Topps cards in toploaders and card savers in multiple 2 row boxes. I have never claimed to be efficient with supplies, LOL.