NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-13-2022, 03:36 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Thoughts on state of memorabilia market?

Wonder what people's experience has been so far this year in selling/buying memorabilia. I don't purchase memorabilia for flipping or investment purposes, but the price action this year on stuff has left my head spinning. One minute something is a $10,000 item; next minute it's $2,000. Clearly the investing "asset" vault crowd is much more into cards. Is this the time to get a nice deal on that piece you've been watching for a few years?
Old 09-13-2022, 03:53 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Is this the time to get a nice deal on that piece you've been watching for a few years?
Sure, if the price is right. Hasn't that always been the case?
Old 09-13-2022, 04:08 PM
Clint

To me it seems that just like anything else quality items are going higher than ever. If I want it it’s going to go even higher. Bats, jerseys, advertising items, pins and photos seem to be doing just fine.
Old 09-13-2022, 10:14 PM
Jeff Lazarus

My areas of focus are somewhat particular:

- Integration - Jackie items have largely gone up, though not evenly. Cards (which I don't collect) seem to have blown up. Some pre-rookie items (especially UCLA tickets) have gone up dramatically, some have gone up nicely, but not dramatically (signed yearbooks) and some (UCLA programs) have seemingly not moved at all. It has been hard to find much in the way of rare items for other players from then, but the 1946 Puerto Rico contract for Larry Doby I bought sold for 4x what it sold for a number of years back

- Lineup cards - It seems like MLB selling lineup cards has brought a bit more attention to the niche, but it is definitely extremely niche, and the range of sale prices is enormous and random, based on who happens to come across it and find it interesting. The uniqueness of the items makes it different to really offer an firm market vaue.

- WWII baseball - There has definitely been some degree of uptick on these, but it is also quite niche, and so some items definitely slip through the cracks.

- Negro Leagues - It seems like almost nothing good is coming available outside of the items listed at Hakes (I believe still from the Merkin collection, though that may have wrapped up by now.)

For the most part, the limited market for the kinds of items I collect means that they aren't nearly as impacted by the changes in the market, since new collectors or investors are not targeting super-niche areas that require a more extensive knowledge of the history to really appreciate. (The exception is some of the Jackie items I have, but even there, cards have gone up far, far more than say, a 1946 Montreal Royals team signed baseball).
Old 09-13-2022, 11:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Memorabilia prices are all over the board. Some things seem to be going under the radar and others are a bloodbath at auction. There seems to be little rhyme or reason, and very random prices realized.

The Ad Signs in the recent SCP are no exception. A few steals and some high prices. It's impossible to compare Memorabilia to Cards, simply because the best memorabilia can be "once a decade" finds or even one of a kind pieces.

Cards on the other hand, no matter how desirable (52 Mantle, T206 Wagner, Goudey Ruth) are always sure to turn up again and again down the road.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:56 AM
Jim Murphy

$6900 for a PF Flyers sign is nuts but nice if you own one or two
Old 09-14-2022, 08:52 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
$6900 for a PF Flyers sign is nuts but nice if you own one or two
What is a PF Flyers sign?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:57 AM

Default PF FLyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
What is a PF Flyers sign?
My PF Flyer ad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F542A75A-7B49-43BD-93F2-0DF1741AF619.jpg (187.3 KB, 288 views)
Old 09-14-2022, 10:27 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

This illustrates the randomness of prices realized, as mentioned earlier…

This one went crazy…

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/RARE...-LOT51790.aspx

This die-cut sold for well under market price…

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/C__1...-LOT51788.aspx

And this one went for just about the expected price…

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/1950...-LOT51786.aspx
Old 09-14-2022, 11:15 AM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I had no idea what those signs were thank you for posting examples.

My guess is it's all got to do with Mantle once again.

Mantle-mania strikes again!

He'd be 91 had he taken care of himself. Damn boozehound!
Old 09-14-2022, 11:49 AM
Jim Murphy

all great
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 266.jpg (60.3 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 412.jpg (104.0 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg 413.jpg (199.6 KB, 269 views)
File Type: jpg item_77601_1.jpg (166.6 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg BqVLthtCIAEjOIH.jpg (203.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg big-league-baseball-stars-on-tv-bf-goodrich-pf-canvas-shoes-antique-advertisement-cody-cookston.jpg (186.6 KB, 270 views)
Old 09-14-2022, 12:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The Jackie memorabilia has definitely blown up. This blotter

has gone up 20X since the movie 42 was released. I think it is a fallout of the rise in card prices. People want vintage Jackie stuff and they can't afford more and more of the cards, so they go for card-adjacent material. It is scattershot, though. I got this booklet-sized magazine for under $30 delivered:

Ruth stuff is strong.

Good snapshots are strong.

Press photos are all over the place.

Team-issued photos of the top postwar stars have risen considerably but are still pretty good values. I was shocked at the two team-issued publicity photos of Jim Brown that sold in SCP last weekend. $2,510 for the 1958 and 1963 base shots that were used to make the team issues that year. Wilt Chamberlain is now a $250-$500 photo, yet I got a 1970 Alcindor for under $50.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 09-14-2022 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:15 PM

Thoughts on state of memorabilia market?

Greg: I'd say strong...to quite strong.

Kevin: You gotta strike while the iron's hot. Now's the time.

-Meet the Parents
Old 09-15-2022, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Thoughts on state of memorabilia market?

Greg: I'd say strong...to quite strong.

Kevin: You gotta strike while the iron's hot. Now's the time.

-Meet the Parents
Old 09-15-2022, 08:03 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I would agree that all PF Flyer signs are created equal. The addtion of Mantle on the ad has a strong impact and Bob's die cut with Mays is all the more rare in nice condition. The Mays image is easily damaged. And some of the ads just turn up more often.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:32 PM

Default Memorabilia

I have discussed this with several people in the past and what it comes down to is that memorabilia has a much smaller collector base. Because of the smaller collector base, prices fluctuate more drastically. For example, if an item sells for $10,000 in one auction, it may sell for only $2000 in a different auction because of the thinner collector base.

Also,condition in memorabilia is everything and it’s very subjective. You don’t have a grading company to commoditize memorabilia. Just my two cents.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:39 PM

The trick is to make those auction house reps drool
Old 09-16-2022, 09:45 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
The trick is to make those auction house reps drool
Sure, but they have all those auctions to fill so they drool a lot, or pretend to. Based on their databases and experience, they can predict a range for most upper end pieces, i.e. HOF awards and GU equipment, etc., but for many others they are guessing along with us. As a memorabilia dealer for many years, only lots of buying and selling and paying attention to the market gives you some feel for what might be truly special and what is not. When you do shoot the moon successfully, it's a great feeling, making up for all the times you're wrong. And of course, when a unique item does jumps off the table immediately, especially to another dealer, the tendency is to second-guess yourself for letting it go so low. Unlike cards or autographs, the 800 pound gorillas in the hobby that are pretty fungible and somewhat predictable, memorabilia is a tricky business.
Old 09-16-2022, 09:51 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
I have discussed this with several people in the past and what it comes down to is that memorabilia has a much smaller collector base. Because of the smaller collector base, prices fluctuate more drastically. For example, if an item sells for $10,000 in one auction, it may sell for only $2000 in a different auction because of the thinner collector base. Also,condition in memorabilia is everything and it’s very subjective. You don’t have a grading company to commoditize memorabilia. Just my two cents.
+1 all the way, Bob. Memorabilia is such a crapshoot from both ends, one of the things that makes it so much more interesting, IMO. I would say, though, that in general, memorabilia has shared much of the recent appreciation (in both senses of the word) of cards.
Old 09-16-2022, 11:54 AM
d.ean

Quote:
My PF Flyer ad
That is awesome!
Old 09-16-2022, 12:39 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
I have discussed this with several people in the past and what it comes down to is that memorabilia has a much smaller collector base. Because of the smaller collector base, prices fluctuate more drastically. For example, if an item sells for $10,000 in one auction, it may sell for only $2000 in a different auction because of the thinner collector base.

Also,condition in memorabilia is everything and it’s very subjective. You don’t have a grading company to commoditize memorabilia. Just my two cents.

100% agree on your two points. First when selling any piece of Memorabilia getting not just as many eyes on it as possible but the right eyes on it is key. And second condition is extremly important. For most Memorabilia collectors including myself displaying items to share with Family and friends is part of the fun of collecting these items. I have a couple very rare items that although I enjoy I do not display due to condition issues. And because of that do not get as much enjoyment out of them. I have included an example.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220916_143657.jpg (206.6 KB, 113 views)
Old 09-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
100% agree on your two points. First when selling any piece of Memorabilia getting not just as many eyes on it as possible but the right eyes on it is key. And second condition is extremly important. For most Memorabilia collectors including myself displaying items to share with Family and friends is part of the fun of collecting these items. I have a couple very rare items that although I enjoy I do not display due to condition issues. And because of that do not get as much enjoyment out of them. I have included an example.
I call it the "cringe test." If you look at something and the first thing that draws your attention is the flaw or flaws instead of the positive factors, I'll pass no matter how cool otherwise. Different with cards, where if you need to fill a hole, condition doesn't matter as much.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:57 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Very true for me as well. Condition is (almost) everything.