NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: dan mckee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2738900409&category=31721

I was preparing to bid on this item when the current high bidder's ID caught my eye looking so much like the seller's. www.teamsets.com is currently winning, he also is from Arizona like the seller. Strange a team set professional is collecting 1935 Rice-Stix cards. Could be 1 huge coincidence. What are the board member's thoughts on this auction? thanks.

Old 06-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: mrc32

What do you find strange....I see nothing here that throws up a red flag....

Old 06-30-2003, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Really? Might just be me but look at the other items this gentleman is bidding on. A 1935 Rice Stix just fits right in with all of that shiny stuff.

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewBidItems&userid=www.teamsets4u.com&completed=0&sort=3&all=1&rows=25

Old 06-30-2003, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: julie

Looked through the rest of what high bidder was bidding on--it's all new (explitive!)--except for the '55 Rosen cover Sports Illuistrated w cards (address label).

It ain't a pretty card, but I still don't see any red flags! Maybe just stupid...

Old 06-30-2003, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Julie you are far from stupid! Like I said, it is probably just me, had a long weekend at the lake and am probably losing it! take care.

Old 07-01-2003, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Marty

Dan. I emailed the bidder from Arizona to let him know that it is assumed that he is shilling because he is from the same state as I am. Arizona does not have the highest population, but we do not all know each other either.
I just bought my first PSA graded non-sports card ever because I thought that $5.00 was too cheap for a 8 from the 50's. I do have some non-sports cards, but I have not put any out on my table for several years. If I think that an item is too cheap, I am willing to under pay. I do not think that the price that this person bid was even close to what the card will sell for, at least I hope not. This card has now been run up to over $20.00. I have only told one person that I would be listing this card, because they had some interest in both Dean's cards. When I sold the Dizzy, I let them know that I was listing Daffy. This individual has not placed a bid as of yet, and I do not know if they will.
Once again, I have posted after I said that I would not any more, but this time it is because of this question and not just because I had a question about SGC.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:53 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

See Marty, I told you I was losing it! You just confirmed it for me. See you at the next Ft Wash. show, take care, dan.

Old 07-02-2003, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Jeff Emerson

To Dan Mckee
Sorry, If you you believe that at $20.00 bid on an $800.00 card is shill bidding. My father happens to own the card and I thought I would put a bid on it to see what it would go for and if I won for $20.00 that would be fine by me.
If do not normally bid on single cards or vintage material but I was not trying to raise the price.
Just out of curiousity what about the names was so similiar to you?

Old 07-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Hi Jeff, Maybe I am missing something here but family members are asked not to bid on each others items by ebay. You can "watch" an item without bidding on it. I was under the impression that Marty didn't know who you were now you are saying the card belongs to your father??? You may not want to be announcing that you bid on your father's auctions. Here is ebay's rule:What is shill bidding?
Shill bidding is the deliberate placing of bids to artificially raise the price of an item and is not allowed. To avoid the appearance of being involved in this activity, family members, friends, and individuals living together, working together or sharing a computer should not bid on each other's items.

Give dad my best and both of you take care. Dan.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Anthony

Dan, I think what he means is that his dad owns the same card, just not this particular card, so he put a bid in on it hoping to get it if everyone was sleeping. I am the person that Marty told he was going to put it up. I've been interested in the Rice Stix for a couple of years, since Marty won a set in a Mastro that I missed.As he had sold the Dizzy and still had the Daffy he let me know it was going up. AT NO TIME did he ever ask me to place a bid or shill it up. When I first got back into the hobby after a 20 year absence he was one of the few dealers at the Hollywood Park show that took the time to explain what had happened in the hobby in the time in between. Like many other sellers I've had the good fortune to have met I've found him to be honest and helpful, even if I wasn't spending money with him.
The Rice Stix are, in my opinion, a neat little set from my favorite era in baseball. The Gashouse gang is a team I really wish I had had the chance to see, along with the original Orioles. I just wish this set had a few more of them (Durocher, Frisch, Medwick, Martin, et al) in it. I believe Leon picked one of these up and posted a scan on the old Full Count board, and the set was discussed then as well.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Hi Anthony! Ok great! that makes better sense. I was going to say, what was he (Jeff) doing? I am glad it is all good. I love the Rice-Stix myself! I have 3 sets and an extra Dizzy so that is why Marty's auction was on my list. Take care Anthony and my best wishes in all of your collecting adventures! Dan.

Old 07-02-2003, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: Jeff Emerson

My father owns a very rough ungraded card.
The guy holding this auction is not my father.

Old 07-03-2003, 03:23 AM
Administrator

Default Untitled

Posted By: BcD

enjoy it............... now how much is an ex+ Wagner Tango worth?