NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-18-2021, 06:29 PM
Rob

Default Collector Nerds

Has anyone else noticed most of the highest bid items in any Hakes Auction are either Pokémon or Star Wars? I don’t get it. Comic books I can kind of understand but not Pokémon or Star Wars. Any nerds here?
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Has anyone else noticed most of the highest bid items in any Hakes Auction are either Pokémon or Star Wars? I don’t get it. Comic books I can kind of understand but not Pokémon or Star Wars. Any nerds here?
So I think this has a lot to do with the "New Money" that has entered the fold, at least on the side of Pokemon. You have to realize a lot of the younger, new collectors grew up with Pokemon. It was massively popular for two generations of children. Between the games and the TV show, and all the other forms of media. Some of the cards from the original 1st edition set, or the set with "shadowless" holographic cards are exceedingly rare. For an example there are only 54 PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard cards. So the rarity, plus the age of the new money, plus the fact that most of these younger people do not know the scandals that have gone on with the Grading companies, equals big bucks.

Star Wars has always been popular, and has grown with the recent movies (regardless how bad they are) along with all the new TV shows either produced or being produced, so it does not surprise me.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:19 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
So I think this has a lot to do with the "New Money" that has entered the fold, at least on the side of Pokemon. You have to realize a lot of the younger, new collectors grew up with Pokemon. It was massively popular for two generations of children. Between the games and the TV show, and all the other forms of media. Some of the cards from the original 1st edition set, or the set with "shadowless" holographic cards are exceedingly rare. For an example there are only 54 PSA 10 Shadowless Charizard cards. So the rarity, plus the age of the new money, plus the fact that most of these younger people do not know the scandals that have gone on with the Grading companies, equals big bucks.

Star Wars has always been popular, and has grown with the recent movies (regardless how bad they are) along with all the new TV shows either produced or being produced, so it does not surprise me.
Great points. I see it as intentional “rarity” and, thus, different from the old stuff most of us are after (whether it be cards or memorabilia). I also don’t “get” the astronomical prices paid for these new fangled “refractors”, or whatever, of Trout, Brady, etc. In my mind, stuff made to be “collectible” usually busts in the future.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:51 AM
Marc

Not sure what is selling in Hake's, but, yeah, Star Wars has always been collectible for those of us who are a certain age, although some of it has really taken off lately (e.g., unopened wax).

I have Star Wars stuff mixed with sports stuff. And just picked up the Empire Strikes Back sticker sheet (now framed).

If my kids (now 12 and 14) ever collect cards when they are older, it is going to be Pokemon, because.... that's all I ever see kids buying.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCU 3.jpg (74.6 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg ESB sticker sheet.jpg (86.5 KB, 229 views)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:05 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

Boba Fett action figure: $4950
1953 Topps Mickey Mantle signed card: $4000

I don't get it either. My son is 26 and had Pokemon cards when they first came out. He actually was embarrassed to know that they were still in our house because I never threw them out. Kids his age don't seem to be into "stuff". They move around a lot more than we did and seem to enjoy being able to fit all their worldly possessions in the back of a 20-year old Subaru. They really like dogs though. Maybe it's the 30-year olds still living in their mother's basements who are collecting all this crap. I don't know.

But, honestly, if I made a list of all the things I don't understand anymore it would fill a book. The Pokemon phenomenon would certainly be on the list - along with people who drink beer with fruit in it, tik-tok, people who drive in the left lane on the freeway when they aren't passing anybody, and on and on.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:07 AM
G@ry Sƈ@m.ҽh.0ɾn

Nerd here. I collect both Star Wars & Pokemon.

Star Wars has always been a popular item to collection but, even more so after Disney acquired LucasFilm. It helped attract new collectors & keep the old school collectors around.

Pokemon is very nostalgic for my age group (mid 30s). I started playing/collecting Pokemon when it first came out in the late 90's as a kid. Much like trading baseball cards it was fun to trade cards with fellow classmates & friends at school, around the neighborhood, the mall etc.....tons of great memories! That original targeted age group is all grown up now. Having their kids interested in the new Pokemon franchise reengaged them back to the franchise...so it's cool to see the franchise has survived that long.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:33 AM
Jeff

I'm a proud nerd...

https://net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=290515

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 10-19-2021, 11:57 AM
Jim Murphy

collect

all baseball except cards

Star Wars

Records

50's 60's Toys

Music, LP's, cassette's

Rock Posters

Irish Whiskey

Bourbon

Surf Boards

Last edited by murphusa; 10-19-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:01 PM
Paul Lehr

Nerd here.
Star Wars was the first movie I ever saw at the local drive-in as a 4 year old and I was instantly obsessed with anything and everything star wars through about '85. I still watch the new movies but I only collect stuff from the original trilogy. I also collect/dabble in vintage toys, movie posters, Halloween, coin-op, and pop culture, as well as baseball.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
HO-LEE CRAP!!!

So, I would assume you guys are familiar with some of the prices Hakes is pulling in? There's some serious nerd money out there!
Old 10-19-2021, 03:25 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
HO-LEE CRAP!!!

So, I would assume you guys are familiar with some of the prices Hakes is pulling in? There's some serious nerd money out there!
Agreed it is amazing the money out there in that area of collectibles.

IT is also amazing how many different areas and hobbies there are that are collectibles or investibles

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 10-19-2021, 04:51 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
collect

all baseball except cards

Star Wars

Records

50's 60's Toys

Music, LP's, cassette's

Rock Posters

Irish Whiskey

Bourbon

Surf Boards
I love it, especially the bolded. Aren't surfboards a little hard to ship and display?

One of my two best Giants collector buddies collects:

SF Giants

Lionel Trains

Tom & Jerry

Soakys bubble bath bottles

Civil War

Dennis the Menace

Smokey the Bear

Hamm's Beer

...but no "nerd stuff."
Old 10-20-2021, 07:08 AM
Jim Murphy

I have a house in a shore town so no need to send or receive the surfboards

Limits also on the whiskey through the mail
Old 10-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Jamie

I stopped in to Hake’s yesterday (very nice people) to preview a few items. They have a great office with toys, posters etc all over the place. The one gentleman I was talking to was coordinating the Captain America shield to be previewed at the comic show in Baltimore. As I left, I was kicking myself to ask if I can try it on.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:22 PM
Rob

^^^ that would have been a very nerd thing to do.
Old 10-21-2021, 01:53 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Personally, I don't think we as a group have any standing to declare any other collectors as 'nerds'.

Sorry, not sorry.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
Personally, I don't think we as a group have any standing to declare any other collectors as 'nerds'.

Sorry, not sorry.
I say it with love.