NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-05-2021, 03:53 PM
John Donovan

Default My t206 Kansas City Blues team set and custom frame project

Just wanted to share the results of one of my recently completed projects. While I'm fascinated with t206 cards, I'm a set builder by heart, and the t206 set is too cost prohibitive to chase in it's entirety. But as a long time Kansas City baseball fan, I realized that with only seven cards (and only one of them is a hall of famer) the Kansas City Blues team set would be very achievable. And since I'm also a fan of getting more enjoyment out of card collecting than just spending money and buying cards, I thought creating my own custom frame would be a fun part of the project.

So I decided on these project goals:

1. Collect all seven original t206 Kansas City Blues cards.

2. Try and get a variety of backs (i.e. not all Piedmont).

3. Do this project CHEAPLY...cards should not have any major detractors, but it's OK for low grade cards.

4. Create a custom frame/artwork to display them.

I'll walk through my step by step process in this post, but I'll get right to the final result first....I'm pretty happy with it:

Pic1.jpg

and I wanted to be sure that you could still see the backs:

Pic11.jpg

So as for the step by step process, well, the first step was getting the cards! I'm a pretty slow and patient collector, so it took me about 18 months to find presentable low grade versions of all the cards in my price range. I wanted to spend less than $200 total....but I went over budget a little. I wound up spending $254.99 including all fees, shipping, etc. Five of them were eBay purchases, one was from an REA auction, and one came from the BST right here on Net 54.

While I could have had seven different backs, I decided I didn't want to pay the premium for the American Beauty, EPDG, Old Mill, etc. cards. So I wound up with four different backs on the seven cards (Piedmont, Sweet Cap, Soverign, and Polar Bear). I think Polar Bear backs are my favorite.

Here's the group of cards prior to framing:

Pic2.jpg

Next, the graded cards had to be set free!

Pic3.JPG

When it was time to make the frame, I had to decide what order to display them in and what color of matting to use. I decided I wanted a black background inset on a custom designed white border.

Pic4.JPG

In order to get them to stay in place in the display, I cut holes in the black matting, and then I trimmed down some card savers and slid each card in a trimmed down saver. Then I taped the card savers behind the black mat...this let me get the cards nice and stable without having to actually put any adhesive on the cards. I then put a white paper mat on the back with holes cut to display the backs, but hide the card savers.

Pic5.jpg

Then probably the most fun part was to design the artwork for the white mat. I tried different designs and drafts....most of them based on different t206 or Kansas City or tobacco themes, and I decided to base the final design on the Piedmont box.

According to Baseball Reference, 1909 was the only year all seven players were on the Blues at the same time. So although these cards were likely issued in 1910 or 1911, I decided to title it based on the 1909 team.

Pic6.jpg

I bought a floating picture frame from a craft store, but had them cut a UV protective glass pane for the front that will hopefully minimize any fading.

I know I already posted it up top, but here's the final pic again

Pic1.jpg

It was a fun project, and I'm trying to decide what my next project should be. After the additional $60 for the framing materials, my total spend was around $310....a little more than I initially wanted to spend, but I've certainly gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the entire process...so money well spent.

I know some other members here have created custom frames and artwork for their card displays. Let's see some pictures!
Old 08-05-2021, 03:57 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjerrymaguire View Post
Just wanted to share the results of one of my recently completed projects. While I'm fascinated with t206 cards, I'm a set builder by heart, and the t206 set is too cost prohibitive to chase in it's entirety. But as a long time Kansas City baseball fan, I realized that with only seven cards (and only one of them is a hall of famer) the Kansas City Blues team set would be very achievable. And since I'm also a fan of getting more enjoyment out of card collecting than just spending money and buying cards, I thought creating my own custom frame would be a fun part of the project.

So I decided on these project goals:

1. Collect all seven original t206 Kansas City Blues cards.

2. Try and get a variety of backs (i.e. not all Piedmont).

3. Do this project CHEAPLY...cards should not have any major detractors, but it's OK for low grade cards.

4. Create a custom frame/artwork to display them.

I'll walk through my step by step process in this post, but I'll get right to the final result first....I'm pretty happy with it:

Attachment 472195

and I wanted to be sure that you could still see the backs:

Attachment 472196

So as for the step by step process, well, the first step was getting the cards! I'm a pretty slow and patient collector, so it took me about 18 months to find presentable low grade versions of all the cards in my price range. I wanted to spend less than $200 total....but I went over budget a little. I wound up spending $254.99 including all fees, shipping, etc. Five of them were eBay purchases, one was from an REA auction, and one came from the BST right here on Net 54.

While I could have had seven different backs, I decided I didn't want to pay the premium for the American Beauty, EPDG, Old Mill, etc. cards. So I wound up with four different backs on the seven cards (Piedmont, Sweet Cap, Soverign, and Polar Bear). I think Polar Bear backs are my favorite.

Here's the group of cards prior to framing:

Attachment 472197

Next, the graded cards had to be set free!

Attachment 472198

When it was time to make the frame, I had to decide what order to display them in and what color of matting to use. I decided I wanted a black background inset on a custom designed white border.

Attachment 472199

In order to get them to stay in place in the display, I cut holes in the black matting, and then I trimmed down some card savers and slid each card in a trimmed down saver. Then I taped the card savers behind the black mat...this let me get the cards nice and stable without having to actually put any adhesive on the cards. I then put a white paper mat on the back with holes cut to display the backs, but hide the card savers.

Attachment 472200

Then probably the most fun part was to design the artwork for the white mat. I tried different designs and drafts....most of them based on different t206 or Kansas City or tobacco themes, and I decided to base the final design on the Piedmont box.

According to Baseball Reference, 1909 was the only year all seven players were on the Blues at the same time. So although these cards were likely issued in 1910 or 1911, I decided to title it based on the 1909 team.

Attachment 472201

I bought a floating picture frame from a craft store, but had them cut a UV protective glass pane for the front that will hopefully minimize any fading.

I know I already posted it up top, but here's the final pic again

Attachment 472195

It was a fun project, and I'm trying to decide what my next project should be. After the additional $60 for the framing materials, my total spend was around $310....a little more than I initially wanted to spend, but I've certainly gotten a lot of enjoyment out of the entire process...so money well spent.

I know some other members here have created custom frames and artwork for their card displays. Let's see some pictures!
THANKS FOR SHARING

That will look awesome hung up and a great way to display and share your love of the collection

That is fantastic what you did to be able to display the back

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-05-2021, 06:23 PM
Rich

Love it! Great job!
Old 08-05-2021, 06:24 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Very nice John.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-05-2021, 06:44 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Glad you had fun...that's what it's all about!

...and let this be a reminder that there is no such thing as an inexpensive frame job
Old 08-05-2021, 08:33 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Nice
Old 08-06-2021, 03:42 PM
John Donovan

Thanks all!

Now I just have to decide where to hang it...at home or at work.

If I hang it up at work, I'd be outing myself as a nerdy baseball card collector. Where as my family already KNOWS I'm a nerdy baseball card collector
Old 08-06-2021, 03:50 PM

You make the KC Blues historians proud with your project. Well done!
Old 08-06-2021, 05:29 PM

Very nice. I’ve been trying to think of something similar to do with some of my Providence team set. They’re alll slabbed, though.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre