NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 05-15-2014, 04:43 PM
Ted Stick.les

Default Anyone collect modern relics,etc?

I've been into collecting modern relics, auto cards, and numbered cards. I'm mainly a vintage collector so I wanted to get everyone's opinions on collecting these types of cards. Will they become more valuable? Will they be a total bust?
Old 05-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Ben North

Total bust in my opinion. The prices are already super low on most because of overproduction.

I would not trust any relic to be real even if I personally pack pulled it. The chance of a cool looking relic being real on ebay is very low and any relic in a Beckett slab is almost always fake.

For the modern cards try http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/ they have much more info over there.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Scott Silvers

With very few exceptions, modern relics will be a big big bust. So much has been produced and every year there is something new. I would also be very cautious about buying fancy patches as there are many counterfeits floating around the internet. I do have some of that stuff for my Maddux pc, but generally I stay away from it.

I also find it funny that some of the relic cards that are 1/1's approach prices that so high that you could just go and buy a gu bat or jersey that hasn't been cut up (unless we're talking about the Ruth's and Shoeless Joe's). Anyway, that is just my opinion. I would suggest that if you like it then buy it, but be aware that most all of that stuff will come down in price as time goes by.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:29 PM
J@$0n.Chri$$i$

When I got back into collecting a few years ago, it was the serially numbered and autographed modern stuff that pulled me back in. I'm really into keeping up with minor league MLBers and NFL draft prospects (mainly for Dynasty/Keeper Fantasy Leagues). So, I thought I'd try and do some "prospecting" with baseball/football cards. It was fun for a while, but it got old fast. If you want to make a profit on those, you really have to know when to sell. It would kill me everytime I'd read about a prospect blowing out his elbow, getting busted for PED's, or beating up his girlfriend. It was the ups and downs in the modern card market that wore me out.

I recently sold a majority of my higher-end autographed and serially #'d refractors in one big lot (I never really liked the relic stuff so I can't comment on those). I did ok, but only because I hit on a few guys - think Trout and Kaepernick, etc. I still have a ton of lower-end modern stuff that I'm thinking about selling as an entire collection on the Blowout forum. I'll probably end up taking about a 50% loss on that if it even sells.

I'm now fully committed to Pre-War and Vintage. I'll buy a few modern Pirates and Steelers cards just for fun. But I'm done with the "prospecting" thing.

***I've had 50+ successful BST transactions as both a buyer and a seller. Please feel free to PM me for references***

Last edited by VoodooChild; 05-16-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Ted Stick.les

I am not approaching it as a sell and make a profit, just as a hobby. Do I want to lose $, no but I think the serial numbered cards make it more fun. I just picked up a Trumbo dual relic auto on eBay for $8. To me, it doesn't get any better than that and it had a bunch of bidders. All these cards seem to be getting a ton of attention
Old 05-16-2014, 10:02 PM

I collect some of those cards as well but mostly for the fun . Players I like , to go with sets ( Topps Heritage relics ) and some of the serial numbers also but as far as them holding or retaining value is very unlikely . How many serial numbered "your favorite players name here" # / 1999 can a person collect. Every product has so many they just aren't as desirable . If you enjoy them collect them ! Brett
Old 05-18-2014, 08:25 AM
Jason Stricker

When I was collecting Bryce Harper, I bought stacks of these patches and relics. I'm no longer collecting much of anything and have been selling off much of my collection. The relics still bring more $ than regular cards, even some graded cards, but I'm not getting anywhere close to what I paid.

In general I'm against cutting up jerseys or shaving bats just to make a card. I understand the concept behind it, but I think it's a shame to cut up game used materials. I have less heartburn about cutting up modern day players than I do seeing vintage HOF player's uniforms or bats being hacked up for a card; that in itself should be a crime.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Ted Stick.les

I'm still on the fence... It seems these cards aren't losing any speed selling on eBay so I think that's what keeps me buying them. Not to mention my auto card collection is getting pretty large so I'm praying they don't decline too much
Old 05-19-2014, 08:32 PM
mike g

i collect only new stuff.
imo i would stay away from low end mass produced stuff. i think in the long run autos will always hold their value, and multi color low numbered patch cards as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Ted Stick.les

I agree soxfan
Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Joe W.
J0seph Wi.er

Default Inception Relics

I have these Inception Relics available if anyone wants...

pm me if interested.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:25 PM

I love modern autos, not a fan of relic cards at all. There's just so damn much of it and they make a ton of money on it creating a false sense of scarcity.

Autographs on the other hand--huge fan, always will be. There's just something 'sexy' about an autograph--even for non collectors. I tend to pair all of my vintage rookies with a nice looking certified autograph (Frank Robinson's Fleer GOTG Auto for only 15 bucks, doesn't get better!).

I don't like what Topps has been doing the last few years with a lot of their high end sets. Even the high end sets all share the same, tired Photoshop filtered look that just doesn't jive well with me.

That being said--I collect modern Chrome autos like crazy and love the Museum Collection Framed Autographs. Just great looking cards.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:51 AM
Rich Klein

On those 2 auto relic cards, I did send you an email, while I realize a low offer, neither of those cards are really sellable at this point and thus I would be putting into dead inventory. But at the level I mentioned, I would be interested

Rich
Old 05-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Ted Stick.les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
On those 2 auto relic cards, I did send you an email, while I realize a low offer, neither of those cards are really sellable at this point and thus I would be putting into dead inventory. But at the level I mentioned, I would be interested

Rich
Actually those cards are very "sellable".
Old 05-24-2014, 07:41 AM
Rich Klein

I'll disagree:

Bryce Brentz is a career minor leaguer who is currently batting .230 in AAA Pawtucket and is 25 years old. Your card is available on a BIN on EBay as low as $5 and I doubt there is much action on these cards at any price. Any initial rush from last year is long gone

I will grant that Nick Castellanos has a better future then Brentz but even son he is not exactly tearing up the league either.

As of this morning he is batting .238 for the Tigers with limited power and no speed. Now, he is 22 years old and playing in the majors so there is some potential upside.

His cards are available on Ebay in a group of two for 40 percent of the current Beckett price.

If these cards were truly sellable, there would not be any left on the Bay

Rich
Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I'll disagree:

Bryce Brentz is a career minor leaguer who is currently batting .230 in AAA Pawtucket and is 25 years old. Your card is available on a BIN on EBay as low as $5 and I doubt there is much action on these cards at any price. Any initial rush from last year is long gone

I will grant that Nick Castellanos has a better future then Brentz but even son he is not exactly tearing up the league either.

As of this morning he is batting .238 for the Tigers with limited power and no speed. Now, he is 22 years old and playing in the majors so there is some potential upside.

His cards are available on Ebay in a group of two for 40 percent of the current Beckett price.

If these cards were truly sellable, there would not be any left on the Bay

Rich
If they are so un-sellable why do you want them again?
Old 05-24-2014, 08:55 AM
Rich Klein

Cheap enough I can make money on them. Not at current book prices, and I'm willing to buy cheap. Not at current "book" values but at a level I'm comfortable with.

Rich
Old 05-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Brian Goldner

Rich,

Though I know almost nothing about Brentz, for the most part, I agree with Your assessment regarding Castellanos.

It's too soon to tell if Nick is a long term answer at 3rd base for the Tigers.
He isn't tearing up the league now, but he does have potential as a hitter.

With regard to power, that may develop somewhat as he matures.

He's got good size, and to this point, has fielded the position a bit better than I expected.

With regard to the cards, though there isn't much money in them currently, with some time that could change. I agree that how Castellanos develops will be the determining factor.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Ted Stick.les

So you basically crap on his cards saying that they aren't sellable, yet you want to lowball him and buy them and then turn around and make money on them? C'mon man that's not cool at all, especially considering they are unsellable and nobody wants them, right? How about $10 for your 3200 count boxes of team cards?

Last edited by vintage954; 05-24-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Rich Klein

Hey at least I made an offer. If you don't like the offer that is yoru decision. There are cards I can make up for that I would be happy to sell you for $10 for 3200 if can come and pick them up. At least when I offer my team boxes the price point is well less than book value.
Rich
Old 05-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Rich Klein

And the Brentz card sould be sent to COMC where I'd be lucky to get $2 for it and I would take a chance and hold on the Nick C. card. That is my decision as to how I deal with cards such as these. As an FYI. Baseball Reference as of this morning lists Nick C with a negative wins above replacement. The stat modesl say he is not even an average major leaguer at this point.

As for my boxes, why don't you purchase a 5000 ct box at the level I post and see for yourself what is in there. There are usually good cards and bad cards in each box but I bet you could put them out a table at a quarter each and get your money back fairly easily.

And at least, I put a price on what I sell. I see you did not.

Rich

Last edited by Rich Klein; 05-24-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Ted Stick.les

Quote:
Hey at least I made an offer. If you don't like the offer that is yoru decision. There are cards I can make up for that I would be happy to sell you for $10 for 3200 if can come and pick them up. At least when I offer my team boxes the price point is well less than book value.
Rich
Are you referring to me? Because I rarely sell cards, I'm a collector not a dealer. If I was, I wouldn't be chasing $2 cards that are "unsellable" to make a quarter on.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Ted Stick.les

So you wanna sell me a 5000 count box of mets cards for $10 plus shipping? Flat rate medium box?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:20 PM
Rich Klein

When I have enough of cards I would put into that box together I would ship you a box, but there will be no inserts or anything else. Everything in that box would be the lowest base cards.

Rich