NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM

Default I sold my entire collection last week (LSU collection)

I had been thinking about it for quite some time and finay did it. Surprisingly, my wife did not want me to do it. I jet sat down, grabbed my iPhone and started snapping pictures and listing on eBay.

The only thing I kept is my original pano photograph of the first game in LSU Tiger Stadium, and my wife kept all cheerleader related stuff for my daughters.

I had a very nice collection room, stuff displayed wall to wall, ceiling to floor, etc, but it just did not interest me anymore. I had more fun finding stuff than actually keeping it.

I have gone back to my roots of garage/estate sale picking, the hobby that got me into LSU collecting and toy collecting a few years ago (I quit collecting toys about four years ago to focus strictly on LSU).
Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 AM
Brandon

Best of luck to you in your future endeavors...I work with a guy that will collect an item for a while and only collect that one item. Then one day he gets tired of them and sells them all and starts collecting something else that is totally unrelated to the previous collection. I don't think I could ever do that but it's a fresh start and a fantastic learning experience in many different areas. Glad to hear you at least kept the Panoramic!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Jim Murphy

with the economy etc did you think you did well with ebay?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default actually....

Pertaining to collecting cards........Actually, I understand too, about the thrill of the hunt. I have ascertained cards that are near unique and then when I get them in hand I barely look at them before I put them in a pile and am not excited anymore. The hunt is a lot/most of it. Now, after 15+ yrs of that, and not changing my focus, it's not a bad collection of different things (type collecting). I think it's the variations and difference in cards that keep me going. I am not as much a completest set collector as I am a collector of different things.

I forgot to add.....you need to come back and let us know how your roots of happiness are doing for you too (picking).....Absolutely whatever makes you happy is what you should do!!

Last edited by Leon; 04-20-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphusa View Post
with the economy etc did you think you did well with ebay?
I only sold about 1/4 of it on eBay, most of it went to other LSU collectors from a LSU Collectors Club I started.

I am VERY happy with the sale, sold for nearly $11,000 and may have had $2000 total out of pocket for it because when I would get a new piece, I would sell something to pay for it, always selling for more than I paid for it (most of the time)

Last edited by theantiquetiger; 04-20-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Mike H.

I do love the hunt, but I enjoy surrounding myself with the stuff I love and looking at it every day. I view my collection as the decor of my office and I can't imagine replacing it.

Good luck to you. I've enjoyed your posts and collection. Now others will as well
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Scott

Sadly, the tax implications are a capital gain/collectibles sale, unless you are in the business of buying/selling.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post

I forgot to add.....you need to come back and let us know how your roots of happiness are doing for you too (picking).....Absolutely whatever makes you happy is what you should do!!
My first week out and I hit a jackpot. For a total of $38 I purchased at one estate sale:

2 - Spalding hickory shaft putters (paid $1 each, value about $50 each)

3 - high end tennis rackets, Head, Prince, & Wison (paid $10 for the three, sold for $70). Funny thing is, when I got them home, I found $10 in the side pocket of the racket case!!!

1969 & 70 LSU yearbooks - Maravich's junior and senior years (paid $8 each, valued about $60 each)

61 - "Science Fiction Analogy" pulp magazines from the 60's & 70's (paid $5, valued about $1 each)

And the jackpot winner:
For $5, I bought a box of 2 vintage Barbies with a bunch of clothes and accessories. I've already sold one outfit for nearly $600 (I'm expecting well over $1000 on this box alone). One Barbie is a #3 Barbie, value about $200 in this condition (bad), $2000 in perfect condition

Last edited by theantiquetiger; 04-23-2012 at 02:45 AM.