NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-04-2021, 07:28 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default Card collages and how to best enjoy your PC

Hey All. In between pining for new additions to the collection, I try to "enjoy" the cards I have by creating visually appealing collages of my scans. I use freeware called GIMP to do this but I think there are many approaches. In any case, here's an example I thought I would share of my Topps Banks Run:

BanksRun

What kinds of activities do other people recommend to stave out the desire to just keep adding cards by better enjoying the ones you already have?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-04-2021, 07:50 PM
irv's Avatar
irv irv is offline
D@le Irv*n
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ontario, Canada.
Posts: 5,277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgnatiusJReilly View Post
Hey All. In between pining for new additions to the collection, I try to "enjoy" the cards I have by creating visually appealing collages of my scans. I use freeware called GIMP to do this but I think there are many approaches. In any case, here's an example I thought I would share of my Topps Banks Run:



What kinds of activities do other people recommend to stave out the desire to just keep adding cards by better enjoying the ones you already have?
Nice collection and collage, Mathew.

Might have to give GIMP a try myself.

Thanks.

Last edited by irv; 06-04-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-04-2021, 08:00 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

It takes a little bit of time to learn to use it well, but there are plenty of helpful guides online. The fact that it's very powerful and free makes up for the learning curve .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2021, 08:28 PM
gustomania gustomania is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 179
Default

Amazing Banks collection!! I can tell u took great care in choosing these cards!!

My advice, log off eBay and take a month to enjoy your accomplishments!!!
__________________
Collecting: Sandy Koufax (1955-1967)
"Left Arm of God"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2021, 01:58 PM
Wanaselja Wanaselja is offline
Adam Wan.aselja
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 269
Default

I do this frequently but not with scans. I keep a small collection that I can take out when I want and display on my coffee table. I sometimes base my next purchase on what will look good next to another card I already have. Iíve also sold cards that I didnít like how they looked with my others.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-2021, 07:07 PM
dth dth is offline
member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7
Default

I really like how you have the Banks' cards displayed. I downloaded GIMP. My learning curve is going to be a long one, but I've always wanted to learn photo stuff. Beautiful collection of Ernie cards.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2021, 07:16 PM
Casey2296's Avatar
Casey2296 Casey2296 is offline
Is Mudville so bad?
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: West Coast
Posts: 1,397
Default

Great Banks run. I started putting my collection on Flickr a week ago and it's been a lot of fun. It's free you can download 1000 images, different albums, easy to use and you can rearrange the images however you want.
__________________
Phil Lewis
.
Original circulation E98 Master set 112/120, Lord help me...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2021, 09:49 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
Great Banks run. I started putting my collection on Flickr a week ago and it's been a lot of fun. It's free you can download 1000 images, different albums, easy to use and you can rearrange the images however you want.

Yeah, I really like using it to check out my collection whenever I feel like it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2021, 09:50 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dth View Post
I really like how you have the Banks' cards displayed. I downloaded GIMP. My learning curve is going to be a long one, but I've always wanted to learn photo stuff. Beautiful collection of Ernie cards.

Thanks! Let me know if you need any pointers and I can help.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2021, 12:13 PM
rugbymarine rugbymarine is offline
member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 40
Default

Iíve said it before, but your run of Banks cards is just unreal. Oozing eye appeal all the way through.

Well done!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-06-2021, 09:47 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 9,549
Default

__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-2021, 10:15 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

What are those? Iíve never seen them before and they look fantastic!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2021, 07:03 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 9,549
Default

1974 Laughlin Old Time Black Stars. One of the first NL tribute sets. Still has the 'RCs' of some HOFers.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!

Last edited by Exhibitman; 06-07-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-07-2021, 07:15 AM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
1974 Laughlin Old Time Black Stars. One of the first NL tribute sets. Still has the 'RCs' of some HOFers.

Added to the search! Those are very nice cards of a lot of amazing guys who donít have many cards.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 9,549
Default

There is also a follow-up 1975 set.
__________________
At ten all I thought about was card collecting. At twenty all I thought about was women. At thirty all I thought about was success. At forty all I thought about was money. Now all I think about is retirement...because all I want to think about is card collecting!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-09-2021, 10:33 PM
Empty77 Empty77 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 204
Default

Firstly, shame on you, OP, for disrupting my New Years resolution to get at least a certain good amount of sleep per night, which I only just recently had started succeeding at regularly.

Secondly, take a look at what you inspired me to create as an entry to the thread:



Notes:
-it's basically the Clemente full regular-issue run, grouped by year, read L-->R in rows so as to tell the story of his career

-the larger gap before the '73 is meant to symbolize the emptiness left by his passing and that the card itself published afterward

-the '63 Fleer is thrown in, as well as some topical cards that are not technically player cards but fill out the team story (like the team cards, and playoff specials)

-one oddball/insert added for fun

-only one left out: the '67 checklist, the busy text of which takes too much away from the whole IMO on this project

-also, one is OPC since that scan happened to be much more straight in its holder than my Topps copy so it looked better

-these are all graded since that's a choice I made some time ago, but I cropped off the label ends because IMO the PSA ones in particular are unattractive and the exceedingly red boarder distracts from cards themselves; this view also approximates a top loader look, which I like the nostalgia of for how I used to collect

-I played with the program enough to produce this, but it's just a first take; I just eye-balled all the spacing and such, but I am sure there must be settings to perfectly center rows and columns in relation to each other if someone digs in deeper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg collage2-sm.jpg (20.9 KB, 73 views)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-2021, 11:00 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
Firstly, shame on you, OP, for disrupting my New Years resolution to get at least a certain good amount of sleep per night, which I only just recently had started succeeding at regularly.

Secondly, take a look at what you inspired me to create as an entry to the thread:



Notes:
-it's basically the Clemente full regular-issue run, grouped by year, read L-->R in rows so as to tell the story of his career

-the larger gap before the '73 is meant to symbolize the emptiness left by his passing and that the card itself published afterward

-the '63 Fleer is thrown in, as well as some topical cards that are not technically player cards but fill out the team story (like the team cards, and playoff specials)

-one oddball/insert added for fun

-only one left out: the '67 checklist, the busy text of which takes too much away from the whole IMO on this project

-also, one is OPC since that scan happened to be much more straight in its holder than my Topps copy so it looked better

-these are all graded since that's a choice I made some time ago, but I cropped off the label ends because IMO the PSA ones in particular are unattractive and the exceedingly red boarder distracts from cards themselves; this view also approximates a top loader look, which I like the nostalgia of for how I used to collect

-I played with the program enough to produce this, but it's just a first take; I just eye-balled all the spacing and such, but I am sure there must be settings to perfectly center rows and columns in relation to each other if someone digs in deeper

Haha! Sorry about your loss of sleep but you made such a nice collage. This is great! Iíve thought about cropping my slabs out too to focus on the cards, so that was a nice touch. In GIMP there is an ďalignĒ tool you can use to precisely separate the cards on a perfect grid, but your eye did a nice job. One other trick is to start with a vector image of each scan so when you downsample to get a reasonable file size you keep close to the original resolution.

Nice work!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Kutcher55 Kutcher55 is offline
J@son Per1muttr
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 188
Default

Nice topic. I have to give you some credit Ignatius. You posted a while back on blowout about your effort to pair down your collection so you could get some of those top Goudey cards and it really resonated with me. It's this idea of how to get some cohesiveness in your collection. Recently I have embarked on a "rule of 3" philosophy where I try to get three nice examples from sets that I like. Here's the results so far. Working on a few others to add to the below 3-somes, such as 48 Bowman (need Musial and Yogi) and 54 Bowman (just need a nice specimen to go with Peewee and Whitey).

Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM
IgnatiusJReilly's Avatar
IgnatiusJReilly IgnatiusJReilly is offline
Matthew
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutcher55 View Post
Nice topic. I have to give you some credit Ignatius. You posted a while back on blowout about your effort to pair down your collection so you could get some of those top Goudey cards and it really resonated with me. It's this idea of how to get some cohesiveness in your collection. Recently I have embarked on a "rule of 3" philosophy where I try to get three nice examples from sets that I like. Here's the results so far. Working on a few others to add to the below 3-somes, such as 48 Bowman (need Musial and Yogi) and 54 Bowman (just need a nice specimen to go with Peewee and Whitey).


Wow, thatís a great collecting theme! Youíve already got some great ones and Iím excited to see how this progresses. Very nice!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If anybody would enjoy some card talk on a Friday, TC&TD ep 38! KangsKards Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 3 04-18-2021 07:48 AM
Does anybody enjoy the... onlyvintage62 Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) 41 12-23-2019 01:31 PM
Thanks & Enjoy! t206guy Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 6 08-08-2013 10:28 AM
is this the Gabby Street tobacco card collages? milkit1 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 9 01-17-2012 10:52 AM
My two-cents on "The Card"...boy did I enjoy it Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 119 05-30-2007 12:42 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


ebay GSB