NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-08-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Thoughts on Crossing '50 Robinson from BVG to SGC

Hi Fellow Collectors,

This is my first post on Net54 -- looking for some insights and hoping you'll be kind to this newbie!

I've just never been a fan of the BVG holder and would like to see this 1950 Bowman Robinson in a SGC holder to match up with other '50 and older cards I already have in SGC holders. Would appreciate any opinions on whether to submit in the BVG holder with a 5 minimum or if you think the better bet is to crack out and submit? If to crack and submit, any speculation of the final grade?

The centering is great, I don't see any creasing/wrinkles, and the card has good eye appeal. The top left corner is a bit of a question mark but otherwise looks every bit like the SGC 5's I already have.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

P1ayba11
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jackie.jpg (78.7 KB, 485 views)
File Type: jpg JR Back.jpg (79.9 KB, 430 views)

Last edited by p1ayba11; 06-08-2021 at 08:48 PM. Reason: better photo
Old 06-08-2021, 07:32 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Can you post a picture of the back?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:48 PM
Mike P.ap

Default SGC.......No.......

I've sent MANY cards to SGC. I would leave it in the BVG holder.

It will not crossover via SGC if you put 5 as a min.

My hunch is SGC would give this card a 4 or a 4.5.

Just my opinion.

Very cool card and it looks fine where it is. Centering is beautiful btw!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

PS I enjoy offering advice on cards like this and I'll make you an offer. If you send it to SGC and it crosses to a SGC 5 or higher, I'll pay you the $30 crossover fee. If it does not get slabbed, you pay. You'll also have to pay the shipping either way. Just trying to back up my opinion. Thanks! Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 06-08-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

If it's part of you PC and you like the black apron I would give it a try, I have several BVGs that I'm doing the same thing with. Great card, hard to find centered. Good luck!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-09-2021, 06:28 AM
Howard Chasser

Default I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I've sent MANY cards to SGC. I would leave it in the BVG holder.

It will not crossover via SGC if you put 5 as a min.

My hunch is SGC would give this card a 4 or a 4.5.

Just my opinion.

Very cool card and it looks fine where it is. Centering is beautiful btw!

Thanks for sharing!

Mike

PS I enjoy offering advice on cards like this and I'll make you an offer. If you send it to SGC and it crosses to a SGC 5 or higher, I'll pay you the $30 crossover fee. If it does not get slabbed, you pay. You'll also have to pay the shipping either way. Just trying to back up my opinion. Thanks! Mike
PSA and SGC have gotten harsh/impossible with their current grading. Based on my current experiences, I think you would be lucky to get a 4-4.5 out of them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210608_0011(0).jpg (74.7 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210608_0012(0).jpg (74.5 KB, 409 views)

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:49 PM
J0hn Collin$

To me it would depend on what you want to do with the card. If you are looking to sell, SGC slabs go for more than BVG, but SGC is not going to give that card the same grade. As has been said, I would guess in the 4 range. If you are keeping it, I would probably just leave in the BVG slab. It's not going to get hurt that way and still presents nicely.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:21 PM
Dave Foster

The back toning and touched corners keep it from grading higher. How it got that grade is astounding. You can try the X-over route and ask for a 5, but I doubt you'd get it. Whatever you do . . . do not crack it out and submit raw. SGC could really screw you over. If it was for my PC, I wouldn't mess with it. The moral is, if you want one in a PSA /SGC coffin, buy it that way.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:43 PM
J@son Per1

Agree it won’t get an SGC 5 and if there are surface imperfections they could saddle you with a 2.5. Have you considered selling it and shopping for a new one? There are of course risks associated with all these options but maybe you could get a big price due to the centering. Although you would have gotten more 90 days ago it is still a very nice and valuable card and many collectors are ok with BVG.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:57 PM

Thanks for some great feedback. It certainly helped confirm a few thoughts -- mostly that trying to cross anything over is a gamble and the odds are against you; and secondly, great advice that if you want a card in a PSA, BVG, SGC or other holder, buy it that way. I think I'll just put this one away for a while and keep my eye open for either a 49 or 50 in an SGC holder -- somewhere around the 5 grade. Just my preference on the SGC for '50 and older but have '51 and newer in PSA. Again, thanks for all the sage counsel.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:41 PM
Matthew

Lots of great advice in here but I I just wanted to add that I love the 1950B Jackie and this example shows really well. With a PSA pop comparable to the 1952T card that’s been on a rocket ship to get moon, I’m very surprised this beautifully designed card hasn’t seen more movement. Even if you dislike the holder, this is a great card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2021, 01:25 AM

Thanks again for all the great insights. So here's what I ended up doing. I decided to take the risk of cracking out of the BVG and submitted it to SGC with no minimum grade. As you can see from the before and after pics attached, SGC graded it a 4. Of course, wish higher but the 4 is pretty much where many of you had pegged it as the consensus was that the BVG 5.5 was overly generous. I would have been ecstatic had it come back a 5. To me, it just shows better in the SGC holder. I'd also rather have someone say "nice 4" than as with the BVG, look at it and wonder "how did it ever get a 5.5?" Not worried about resale here as it will be part of my collection and I'll be happier showing it now than I was before. I guess a good ending and just wanted to share the outcome with all of you. Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robinson - BVG.jpg (78.0 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg Robinson - SGC.jpg (77.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 08-25-2021, 04:24 AM
Lonnie Nagel

There's a reason why Beckett comes in 3rd on most everyone's grader of choice.

Does look great in the SGC slab.

What was your turnaround time with SGC?
Old 08-25-2021, 05:16 AM
J0hn Collin$

I would be very happy w/ that crossover; congrats!

There is nothing inherently wrong w/ BVG, they just grade raw vintage about like I did in 1989. Especially with midgrade and lower, they aren't on the same script that PSA and SGC follow today. That being said, there are still potential deals to be found with Beckett if you realize that.

But that Robinson is more accurately graded and looks better in the tux. Sweet card again - enjoy.

Last edited by jchcollins; 08-25-2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:33 AM
Albert Bee

Default jackie

Id cross it, why not
Old 08-25-2021, 09:07 AM

I shipped priority mail to SGC on 8/16 and received it back 8/24 so had super turnaround!
Old 08-25-2021, 10:16 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Looks great in the SGC holder and I agree that an SGC 4 holds more weight than a BVG 5.5
Old 08-25-2021, 10:38 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Looks great in the SGC holder and I agree that an SGC 4 holds more weight than a BVG 5.5

Agreed, lucky it wasnt trimmed

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 08-25-2021, 01:39 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

You made the right move...I don't keep many graded cards anymore except some of my 50's stars and all in SGC. It comes down to only one thing for me...they looks nice in the tux. Couldn't care less about any other point, and your card certainly looks MUCH better. Just an awesome card btw...one I hope to obtain some day...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 08-25-2021, 02:10 PM
T0NY @

Much nicer presentation now. I'd be tickled with the outcome.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:28 PM
James M

It looks 20x better in an SGC slab, and that is a very nice 4, one you should rightly be proud to add to the collection. Beckett still has a use in the overall scheme of things (thicker cards, rookie autos/RPAs), but I'd never ever send any vintage stuff to them. For a while I was looking at BVG slabs on ebay with the intention of cracking them out and sending to SGC/PSA, but I saw so many that were graded unrealistically and the seller was still expecting to get the equivalent grade in a PSA holder, just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, beauty of a card.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Matthew

Wow, looks awesome in the SGC holder! What a great example and now it has the tux to match. Well done!

Old 08-26-2021, 02:51 AM
Ed Pendergrass

It looks a lot better in the SGC holder. I really like their holders.

I am about to send in several BVG slabs to SGC myself.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:32 AM
Albert Bee

Default robby

Looks good that way too..but you could always criss- cross it back if you wanted to
Old 08-26-2021, 03:05 PM
Howard Chasser

Default It's not about grade quality as much as grade timing

1) I agree about the appearance of the SGC slab. Imo it is the nicest looking of the 3 for most vintage cards.
2) The fact that SGC gave it a "4" is more a reflection of what is a changed/higher standard (albeit never communicated by SGC or PSA) rather than "Beckett getting it wrong". If you are looking at cards graded 10 years ago by the 3 grading companies, I would say they were likely graded with similar standards (the incredible subjectivity of grading notwithstanding). Stricter is not more accurate. It is just stricter. This would apply to cards graded by PSA or SGC years ago as well - (with plenty of exceptions) - on average, cards graded more recently, have been graded more strictly. Leaving a freaking mess today. Buy the card-not the holder! In all cases, a great looking Jackie and I'll finish where I started - it looks better (grade aside) in the SGC holder.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:25 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
Looks good that way too..but you could always criss- cross it back if you wanted to
Or wait a couple years and cross it over to get a PSA 1.5!
Old 09-01-2021, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1ayba11 View Post
Thanks again for all the great insights. So here's what I ended up doing. I decided to take the risk of cracking out of the BVG and submitted it to SGC with no minimum grade. As you can see from the before and after pics attached, SGC graded it a 4.
Wondering out loud... if put up for auction, which of the two would fetch the higher bid? It's gotta be the Beckett 5.5... right?
Old 09-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8Beldini View Post
Wondering out loud... if put up for auction, which of the two would fetch the higher bid? It's gotta be the Beckett 5.5... right?

I actually think the SGC would go a bit higher. I mentally deduct 2 full points from BVG to compare to PSA or SGC (maybe 1.5 for SGC). Also, I very rarely bid on BVG. You’ll get a lot more interested buyers with SGC or PSA. Just my opinion.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:40 PM
J@son Per1

Cool thread. Congrats on the cross over. It looks nice in the SGC holder. I have always used the +1 rule on BVG as opposed to PSA or SGC in terms of relative grading toughness. If I had to take the over or under on that assumption in terms of toughness as well as resale value, I would take the over and call it 1.25. Which suggests that I don’t think there would be any resale value for the SGC 4 as opposed to the BVG 5.5. It’s debatable but if you’re asking if you increased the value of this card with the crossover I would opine respectfully that no you didn’t.

That all said, as a collector it seems to fit what you are after. I happen to own 4 BVG slabs. Everything else is PSA or SGC or raw. My BVGs are: Bob Gibson RC 5.5 that I think could cross to a 5 due to the centering and sub grades. Al Kaline RC in a 5 that wouldn’t cross to better than a 4 IMO. The other two slabs are McCovey RC 4.5 and Palmer RC 4. Neither is worth the bother to cross. In fact I doubt I wold ever cross any of them. BVG slabs are like fort knox to crack open aren’t they?

Tags
jackie robinson