NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Uncatagorized card sets

Posted By: Eric Eichelkraut(goudeyhunter)

Just wondering how many vintage card sets are currently recognized by collectors (especially those on this board) as not being catalogued as of the 2003 SCD? I have submitted one myself, but wondered what anyone else has submitted for further review to Bob Lemke? Please post pics...

Old 10-16-2002, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

There are several well known sets, including a variety of 19th century comic trade card issues. There are also lots of obscure though legitimate singles from the 19th and 20th century, including foreign and trade cards. SCD has a physical page limit on it's book, so many obscure or not popularly collected cards and set won't be included. There just isn't enough space, especially with all the new issues. For obscure singles to be included, they really have to depict the big guns, ala Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth.

For an interview with Bob Lemke, where he discusses these and other issues, check out the below link.

http://cycleback.com/lemke.html

1920 Frederick Foto Babe Ruth (from a set of PCL players)

1920s Grover C. Alexander Clothier's Trade Card

Old 10-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There are still many Cuban and Puerto Rican cards that are yet to be cataloged. Here are examples of 1909 Cabanas, 1923-24 Tomas Guiterrez, 1924-25 Aguilitas Segundas, and 1950-51 Acebo (All from Cuba), and a couple of 1948 Toleteros (from Puerto Rico)

Old 10-16-2002, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

There are also MANY Japanese cards that are not cataolged in the Standard Catalog. Here are scans of a 1958 Menko and a 1959 Hoshi Gangu

Old 10-16-2002, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

pre-WWI printing, normal card stock, blank-backed, hand-cut, light red border all the way around.

Old 10-16-2002, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

I have a sheet/poster from 1909 that has 30 blank backed "cards" (2 are Frank Chance cards) printed on it. I have seen a couple of these cards in the past that were cut from these sheets, but have yet to see any info in catalogs printed on the set anywhere. The cards if cut would be 2.9" by 4.5" ea., and are printed on thin stock in sepia tones. I only know of 2 other lower condition uncut sheets from this uncataloged set (all from same find), and have seen a couple of the individual cards, but dont have any other info on the set. Here is the sheet picture, and a couple closeup pictures, if anyone has one of these cards in there collection or knows of others, please let me know. Frank

Old 10-16-2002, 07:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Frank
When I purchased the remaining 2 sheets , the seller explained that her father had owned an Ice Cream parlor/candy store in Michigan around the turn of the century, and that the sheets may have hung on the walls of the parlor. However, Frank's poster is the only one with Push pin marks, so I don't think all were hung. One of my posters has a slight tear, while the other is equal in quality to Frank's. It's interesting that Johnson,Lajoie, and Mathewson are present, but no Cobb, Wagner or Young. Maybe Leon has an idea? later brian

Old 05-24-2003, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

Frank or Brian,

Can you provide a list of the players depicted on your sheets, and any other known players not on these sheets.

Thanks,

Brett

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 05-24-2003, 10:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Man, this thread is so old I called myself by my real name

Old 05-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brett Domue

Aside from a post or two last fall, I came back to the site for the first time today after a year off. I had to weed through 90 pages of old posts to find the couple of gems, so I'm hoping they're worthwhile

Brett

Brett Domue
okeedokee@pipeline.com
http://members.aol.com/METSBWD/wantlist.htm

Old 05-24-2003, 11:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Hi Brett, Sorry I didnt see your last post until now. Here is a link to a checklist of the players on the poster (checklist is at bottom of page).
http://members.aol.com/kealoha707/1909W-Unc.html

Frank

Old 05-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

Brett, I wasn't criticizing, just commenting. When I looked at this thread, I at first thought, "Who's this 'david' bozo linking to my site?"

Old 05-29-2003, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Lemke

Don't let the exigencies of page count deter you from offering possible inclusions of vintage cards for the Standard Catalog. I'll cut away at modern issues to find space for the good ol' stuff. Many of the items shown on this thread have p[reviously been brought to my attention. For instance, we added the Ol' Pete card to the 2003 book under Treulich & Son. I've also got a handful of images of Frederick Photos cards, but have not yet listed them because there apparantly is a much larger checklist, and little or no market information. I doubt that we'll do anything with the "ice cream" poster since it was evidently not intended to be cut down to "singles," since the size would vary considerably. Also, while I'm adding some of the Latin issues each year, I don't envision doing much with Japanese cards. The principal reason for this is that there were many American players in the Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc., cards, but almost none in the Japanese sets. If the card companies of today ever let up on the flood of new issues, and time permits, we'll move relentlessly towards that unattainable goal of completeness. Please use this thread to report possible additions, or contact me directly.