NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2020, 08:56 AM
pete ullman

Default Lots of people seem to want fake cards these days?

This seller is peddling all fakes...describes them as fakes...and people are still lining up????

https://www.ebay.com/sch/southernfri...p2047675.l2562
Old 11-25-2020, 09:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This seller is peddling all fakes...describes them as fakes...and people are still lining up????

I just now sent them a message about their fakes. The item I tried to message on wouldn't let me because they had too many messages on it. So I sent them a general message with the same content. They are scammers if you ask me.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:15 AM

They are pretty good fakes. I think the seller’s description is fair and his disclosures fine, that is, unless, he actually knows they are fake - which I suspect is likely the case - in which case its fraud (not sure legally, but certainly morally)

It is amazing to me that people will buy high value, raw cards online. Stupid is, as stupid does....
Old 11-25-2020, 09:27 AM
James M.

I'd wager that some of those bids he's getting are from shill accounts, driving the prices up. The classic line of "The original source of this card is unknown" combined with the "All Sales are Final" doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

He's a small step below the people that put fakes in cracked slabs and then reseal them and pass them off as legit. I've mentioned it before, how my Father got scammed by some crooked Ebay seller, on a Jordan RC of all things, still don't have the heart to tell him.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.

Last edited by Seven; 11-25-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
They are pretty good fakes. I think the seller’s description is fair and his disclosures fine, that is, unless, he actually knows they are fake - which I suspect is likely the case - in which case its fraud (not sure legally, but certainly morally)

It is amazing to me that people will buy high value, raw cards online. Stupid is, as stupid does....
I have no qualms about buying raw on ebay...but I have 40 years of experience. I don't find these to be that good. But apparently to others they look good.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
pete ullman

and while the seller's disclosure is ok...the buyers can still return...and most likely will!
Old 11-25-2020, 09:50 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
and while the seller's disclosure is ok...the buyers can still return...and most likely will!
Unless I am missing something, the seller has this: "Returns:
Seller does not accept returns"
Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 AM
James M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Unless I am missing something, the seller has this: "Returns:
Seller does not accept returns"
He doesn't but I'd wager that if you could prove to eBay that they're fake, you'd be given a refund.

charlietheexterminator, todeen, tonyo, Santo10fan
Bocabirdman (5x), 8thEastVB, JCMTiger, Rjackson44
Republicaninmass, 73toppsmann, quinnsryche (2x),
Donscards.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
He doesn't but I'd wager that if you could prove to eBay that they're fake, you'd be given a refund.
I am not 100% sure how that works but if the seller lists them as reprints, which he has alluded to/stated, I'm not sure one would have a leg to stand on, would they?

"Per eBay rules, selling this card as a REPRINT because the card has not been professionally graded.
The original source of this card is unknown (estate/garage sale, card show, online sale, private sale, etc)
The card pictured in this listing will be the exact card you will receive.
PLEASE BID ACCORDINGLY! ALL SALES ARE FINAL!"

Last edited by irv; 11-25-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
yes...exactly...it doesnt seem to matter what the seller states...buyer can return anything it seems per ebays rules.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:36 AM
Andrew Hunt00n

Wow, I was expecting to see the typical $40 bid for a bad fake but this guy has a $430 bid on a fake red Cobb! Insane. There are a ton of these fake Cobbs on eBay for way less than that. These buyers are idiots.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Br.ent So.bie

Quote:

I'd line up for a fake vintage before I'd buy a legitimate modern
Old 11-25-2020, 10:55 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post

I agree those are good fakes (as fakes go). And I'm surprised at the large number of bids as well. But I also think buying raw on eBay is fine if you limit your transactions to trusted sellers. I believe the graders at Greg Morris Cards compare favorably to any of the 3 TPGs that we are currently stuck with.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:29 AM
C0nor D0na.hue

A while back i set up at a show and had a box of random $1 cards including a bunch of aged reprints. A guy went through the whole box and cherry picked every single one. We got to talking about them and had an interesting conversation. His take was that the only difference between a real card and a reprint was perceived value. He said something to the affect of, “I’m a collector, not an investor. Investors look for value, I collect images.” It was interesting to think about the psychology of the difference. I wish to God I was content with reprints....I would probably be writing this from my yacht if I was.

Last edited by conor912; 11-25-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:33 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
yes...exactly...it doesnt seem to matter what the seller states...buyer can return anything it seems per ebays rules.
So, as an EBay seller, you really have no say in much of anything then?

I was thinking, and still might, open an EBay sellers account just to sell some of my lower value cards or cards that I no longer want but the more I read about issues like this, more I get deterred from even thinking about it.

Last edited by irv; 11-25-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:36 AM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
A while back i set up at a show and had a box of random $1 cards including a bunch of aged reprints. A guy went through the whole box and cherry picked every single one. We got to talking about them and had an interesting conversation. His take was that the only difference between a real card and a reprint was perceived value. He said something to the affect of, “I’m a collector, not an investor. Investors look for value, I collect images.” It was interesting to think about the psychology of the difference. I wish to God I was content with reprints....I would probably be writing this from my yacht if I was.
Ha, that was probably the same guy we're talking about now. He had a good cover story, though.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:20 PM
Ryan Phi

I came across that seller on ebay a few months ago and almost bid on some of the items then. His listings are a bit misleading as the title doesnt state anything about being a reprint. Its only down in the description and I think alot of people bidding on some of those items do not read the description.

Tickets/Stubs:
Hank Aaron 714 HR
Hank Aaron 715 HR
Gehrig Appreciate Day
Shot Heard Round the World
1975 WS Game 6
1st All Star Game 1933
1986 WS Game 6
1988 WS Game 1
Dents HR 1978
Harvey Haddix May 29, 1959
Babe Ruth Called Shot
1955 WS Game 7
Bartman Game - Cubs
Billy Goat Game - Cubs
Black Cat Game - Cubs
Ray Chapman Hit
Brett Pine Tar Game
Merkles Boner
Old 11-25-2020, 01:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

At least those prices from your link aren't as high as what people regularly spend for fake '52 T and '51 B Mantles.

Listings like this irk me a lot more, because it's from a dealer with a lot of (100%) feedback, and he goes to great lengths to divert attention from authenticity with nothing but supposed trimming talk and "evidence".

It's not even a good fake. Standard red flags for this card (like Mantle's bad sunburn and the wrong color under his cap's brim) are obvious even from those poor photos.

Swindling someone into paying $1500 for it

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mickey-Mant...-/293804811035
Old 11-25-2020, 01:50 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo98 View Post
I came across that seller on ebay a few months ago and almost bid on some of the items then. His listings are a bit misleading as the title doesnt state anything about being a reprint. Its only down in the description and I think alot of people bidding on some of those items do not read the description.
They’re more than a bit misleading. They don’t say “this is a reprint,” they say “I’m selling this as a reprint because it’s not graded, but the origin is unknown,” which intentionally suggests the possibility that it is original.

As someone posted above, the seller knows it’s a fake and is making a fraudulent misrepresentation. EBay really needs to crack down on that kind of stuff, as well as the sellers who put fakes in lookalike PSA slabs (just missing the logo). If I were PSA, I’d also be going after those guys for trade dress misappropriation.

Last edited by ASF123; 11-25-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:32 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

He is also using this in each description heading "non PSA graded". This will bring up his cards when you search for PSA even though they are not slabbed by PSA.
I thought that was another eBay no no.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 11-25-2020, 02:44 PM
Andrew

I flagged a couple of his listings, but there were only a few options on the drop down menu for reasons for flagging, and “misleading item description” or “fake item” weren’t there. So I had to go with shill bidders.

How can eBay not even allow flagging for misrepresenting an item? I get that in this case they would probably take the lazy position that the seller’s disclaimer was truthy enough so they don’t have to get involved...but to not even have it as an option to report a listing?
Old 11-25-2020, 03:56 PM
Chris
Chr.is Ta.bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Wow, I was expecting to see the typical $40 bid for a bad fake but this guy has a $430 bid on a fake red Cobb! Insane. There are a ton of these fake Cobbs on eBay for way less than that. These buyers are idiots.
I would wager a fair number of the people buying cards like this are buying them to rip off someone else by selling it as legit.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:03 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I would wager a fair number of the people buying cards like this are buying them to rip off someone else by selling it as legit.
People are desperate right now and they know the card market is hot. Its a bad combo for unsuspecting newbies and a perfect storm for scammers.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:32 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabe View Post
I have a feeling for that money the bidders think it might be real. There are just too many other T206 red Cobbs that are good looking fakes for much lower buy it nows.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 11-25-2020, 04:47 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
It is awesome, like beyond words awesome. I have several reprint sets that I honestly like as much as most real cards I have ever owned.

I recently picked up a T206 reprint set. I have started the set and sold off the real cards 3 times because I just got burned out on it. Now I have them all and I really like owning them.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:24 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
So, as an EBay seller, you really have no say in much of anything then?

I was thinking, and still might, open an EBay sellers account just to sell some of my lower value cards or cards that I no longer want but the more I read about issues like this, more I get deterred from even thinking about it.
If you're just selling low end cards, occasionally, you'll be just fine. Go ahead and do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-25-2020, 06:34 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
If you're just selling low end cards, occasionally, you'll be just fine. Go ahead and do it.

I don't know the first thing on how to go about it but I am still considering it? But at the same time, my friends son up the street recently opened up an EBay account so I am thinking I might just be further ahead to use his if he is interested?
That way it would save me the trouble and possible headaches but possibly help him by having more product and a more diversified collection of cards to sell?

He mainly dabbles in modern basketball, hockey and football and currently has no baseball, modern or vintage.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:39 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

The amount of positive feedback for the cards is disturbing, I bet psa makes bank grading these “authtct ?” over and over.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:12 PM
mark sanders

Default the good news is...

when i saw the t206 red cobb, i noticed that it has a piedmont 150 reverse and i REALLY need one for my back run.
so, knowing that jamie/blunder needs that back as well i decided to bid often and high.
am elated & proud to share that i WON that card for the bargain price of only $779!
am certain i can flip it for a HUGE profit.
congrats to me.
BAT ON: Old Mill, SC 350/25
BAT OFF: Cycle, Lenox, Piedmont 460/42, Uzit
& Piedmont 350
Old 11-25-2020, 08:37 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I don't know the first thing on how to go about it but I am still considering it? But at the same time, my friends son up the street recently opened up an EBay account so I am thinking I might just be further ahead to use his if he is interested?

That way it would save me the trouble and possible headaches but possibly help him by having more product and a more diversified collection of cards to sell?

He mainly dabbles in modern basketball, hockey and football and currently has no baseball, modern or vintage.
As long as you have bought some, it'll be tied to your buyers account to show your previous history on ebay, and so then you should be able to sell already with feedback.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 11-26-2020, 08:15 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
As long as you have bought some, it'll be tied to your buyers account to show your previous history on ebay, and so then you should be able to sell already with feedback.

I do have a good EBay feedback with "0" negatives or neutrals as I always pay right away/immediately if I am not interested in purchasing anymore cards from a particular seller.
This seems to make the sellers happy, which leads me to believe that some buyers delay or jerk some sellers around with payments? I guess I'm the minority in this regard but have always thought, if you can't currently afford to pay for something, then you shouldn't be bidding or buying, but that's me.

I will give it some thought but I will also need to set up a PayPal account for deposits. I don't believe that is too hard but then again, I am not sure how that works either as I have only used PayPal to pay for my purchases, not for deposits.

I appreciate the help, Tim.

Thank you.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:10 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I buy a lot of raw cards now on eBay but only from a select group of dealers I trust, mostly folks I've been dealing with for years.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 11-26-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:54 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
The link provided in the original post (deleted from the quote here) now indicates the seller has 0 (zero) items for sale.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:44 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:

Unless it's to PWCC

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 11-29-2020, 07:09 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

There is another clown on Mercari selling T206 Wagner's with Polar Bear backs and getting $1000.... Mercari still has not pulled them.
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 11-29-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
There is another clown on Mercari selling T206 Wagner's with Polar Bear backs and getting $1000.... Mercari still has not pulled them.
friend of mine has a mercari account and they don't seem to care too much about anything. it's like the wild west, counterfeits and whatnot are just expected i guess. and you aren't covered like ebay from what i understand - the ole buyer beware status.

as for the reprints, it honestly doesn't bother me if people are selling them for a couple of bucks. if there's a market, more power to you. my issue (as i'm sure it is with most of you) is knowingly having a reprint and fooling others into thinking they "may" be buying a legit card for a lot of money.