NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-11-2022, 10:20 AM

Default Impact of Tape Residue

Hi,

I’ve been looking for a particular card for some time now. Given my budget, I’m expecting to be in the 2-4 grade for this card. I came across an example which has an immaculate front (probably a 6-7) but on the back there is pretty heavy tape residue which resulted in the overall card getting a 2 grade. I wanted to get the groups thoughts on how heavily you’d weigh the fact that the front is probably as nice a “2” grade as you’ll find vs the residue on the back?

Appreciate any feedback!
Old 11-11-2022, 10:24 AM

My favorite kind of card.

If the front attributes are really strong but the technical grade is the result of a back flaw, I'm all in.
It usually results in a very reasonably priced card.
If you buy it, please show front and back images here.
Good luck.
RayB
Old 11-11-2022, 12:15 PM

I have no problem buying a lower grade card with a clean front and residue on the reverse.
Old 11-11-2022, 02:35 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

How rarely does the card in the grade you want come up for sale?

If the answer is not too often, and the price is good/decent on this tape-damaged one, I imagine grabbing it to say, "Finally got one!" would be in order. Therefore, you could check it off of your list while looking to upgrade it when the situation presents itself in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2022, 03:34 PM

Generally, we like and buy cards bc of the image on the front. However, in prewar vintage, sometimes the advertisement on the back is what drives the desire to own a card. If your example is the former, then Go For It and don’t look back. You likely got a relative steal based on a technical grade/flaw. However, if your example is the latter, then do not buy a damaged back when the back is the reason to acquire.
Old 11-11-2022, 06:42 PM
jim qu.inlisk

I think it matters if it's a popular card. If it's a Mantle, Cobb, or something like that there's a better chance of resale later if need be. If it's something that might not have as large of a pool of interested buyers (maybe it's vintage football from an obscure set) and you have to get past the back damage then you might not be able to sell it as quickly if you get a chance to upgrade or if you decide to move on.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:05 PM
Frank Wakefield

I recall some of the several times I've been told a certain something I'm about to mention. And I recall being told this gem a few times in person. Yet several times, as I've collected, I've fallen victim to disregarding this bit of advice:

If you settle for a card in a worse condition than you normally collect, then one day you'll find yourself buying the card a second time.

I've found that too many times my collecting habits have led to me buying a few cards twice.

So, that means I'd most likely buy that tape residue on the back card. One day I'd try my hand at removing a bit of the tape to see how that goes. If it goes well, I try to remove a bit more. If it goes badly, then I stop tinkering with tape residue removal.

Is the tape residue on your card so much that you'll eventually buy then card again? If you're certain it is, then pass on it. If you think it's a good card for your collection, then great!

Have you bought a card twice before? Upgrading where you bought a filler card first? I heard of that with coins, and then stamps, 50+ years ago. It applies to ball cards, too.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 11-11-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: can't type and punctuate worth a damn
Old 11-11-2022, 08:36 PM
Chris

As others have said, it depends on the card. Here are my two examples - the tape residue on the back of my Aaron doesn’t bother me in the least because of how sharp the front, surface and corners are. That’s all I care about for this card.

The Hooks, though, I bought for the Hindu back, and that paper loss on the back greatly diminishes my feelings towards the card.

If the back matters to you, don’t settle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3C333501-4E29-43D9-808A-71C82D2B8818.jpeg (100.2 KB, 214 views)
File Type: jpeg 67241B71-7EB5-4467-9BD0-32F6A73D0233.jpeg (111.4 KB, 216 views)
Old 11-11-2022, 08:47 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Generally, we like and buy cards bc of the image on the front. However, in prewar vintage, sometimes the advertisement on the back is what drives the desire to own a card.
The back advertisement means very little to me. I collect for the player on the front.
Old 11-11-2022, 08:52 PM
Jim Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
If you settle for a card in a worse condition than you normally collect, then one day you'll find yourself buying the card a second time.

I've found that too many times my collecting habits have led to me buying a few cards twice.
I hope to buy a card twice….or 3 or 4 times. If I’m at a place financially where I can afford a Mantle that’s a 2, I’ll buy it because it’s real and it’s a Mantle. If a year later I can afford a three or a four then I will buy it again and I will keep upgrading until I acquire the best one that I can afford.
Old 11-12-2022, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmvorce View Post
As others have said, it depends on the card. Here are my two examples - the tape residue on the back of my Aaron doesn’t bother me in the least because of how sharp the front, surface and corners are. That’s all I care about for this card.

The Hooks, though, I bought for the Hindu back, and that paper loss on the back greatly diminishes my feelings towards the card.

If the back matters to you, don’t settle.
Agreed, great Aaron, and that back tape mark matters not.

I have a few cards where if it weren't for some back damage or writing on the back then I wouldn't have been able to afford them. It's not always a good tradeoff, but sometimes you can strike the right balance.
Old 11-12-2022, 04:09 PM

Thank you everyone for all the feedback and appreciate that the sentiment is largely to go for it. Here is a pic of both sides of the card for reference.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86045778-3155-4543-9AF1-DB0ACE81BE12.jpg (84.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg 55C7BB70-651B-4863-8711-602D22793EE4.jpg (165.6 KB, 159 views)
Old 11-12-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
The back advertisement means very little to me. I collect for the player on the front.

I definitely see the point, but as you’ll see below this isn’t the case for this card so I don’t think the back is as key for me personally…
Old 11-12-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBShotz View Post
My favorite kind of card.

If the front attributes are really strong but the technical grade is the result of a back flaw, I'm all in.
It usually results in a very reasonably priced card.
If you buy it, please show front and back images here.
Good luck.
RayB
Just added—thank you!
Old 11-13-2022, 06:01 AM
Chris Eberhart

The tape residue wouldn’t bother me one bit. The price on the other hand would….unless it’s a great deal I would pass…..inquiring with one of the restoration guys about the possibility of removing that stain may help me pay a little more…wouldn’t bother getting it done but the knowledge could sway me.
Old 11-13-2022, 07:03 AM
jim qu.inlisk

There's a reason they put the front of the card in the front of the holder. That's a great looking 2. If you waited for another one you might get priced out of anything at all, instead you got a beauty. Congrats!
Old 11-13-2022, 07:30 AM
Frank Wakefield

A super card!

We're all alike, we like old ball cards; we're all different, we like them in different ways. Not graded or graded, pristine condition or a card we're not afraid to touch. If someone gave me that card, I'd be totally content with it. I might break it out of that holder, but that's a great card.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartakid8 View Post
Thank you everyone for all the feedback and appreciate that the sentiment is largely to go for it. Here is a pic of both sides of the card for reference.
Gorgeous card! The tape is certainly noteworthy, but the front is really great looking, and that card is all about the front. Indeed, but for the tape, the front likely wouldn’t look so good (preserved in album for years instead of handled, bent and created). If the price is right, I would get that ASAP and enjoy.

Here is my t206 Plank. Very similar situation. The front is incredible but the back has that tape residue. Without the residue, the card would grade much higher. I love the card and would not trade it for most of the 4s out there, because this is better looking.

Your Mays is the same. Get the card and enjoy owning an amazing example of a Mays rookie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5B11CD22-9131-43B9-9A1B-2254C02BB0BF.jpg (133.4 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg EC9C10E4-FC85-4097-9120-578B979EF98A.jpg (125.9 KB, 123 views)
Old 11-14-2022, 07:00 PM
Jeremy

This is a great example of what you are talking about, but glue and paper loss rather than tape. I probably paid either right at or slightly above SGC 1 pricing for this card because the front was so nice.

That Mays is BEAUTIFUL! That being said, it's still a 2, so don't overpay for a 2.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img198jg.jpg (195.5 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg img199jg.jpg (193.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 10:20 AM
D@v!d W@tk!n$

Great looking card and I would not have any problem with that tape residue on the back. Here is an example of a card that I have with tape residue. The front certainly (in my mind) carries much more weight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1966 Bobby Orr PSA 2.jpg (188.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 1966 Bobby Orr PSA 2 (Back) copy.jpg (114.7 KB, 46 views)